Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 13:51   #286
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2010 at 12:59.
dhall_gagan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th April 2010, 15:49   #287
BHPian

Though I am most probably the last to wish you : Many congratulations GTO, better late than never !
You picked up a sweeet cherry !
Old 7th April 2010, 16:51   #288
Senior - BHPian

Got in late on this thread, Congrats GTO!

Honda Civic (before the price rise) was bang for the bucks, one of the Best Allrounder cars!
Old 8th April 2010, 13:15   #289
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
congratulations!
looking forward to the ice review.
Pictures are a work-in-progress as I type.

Quote:
one,how did you verify the mileage?(i know there's a separate thread here,wanted to know what you looked at).
Previous visits to the Honda service station (there were only two but you can make an informed judgement on the avg running), PUC + fuel slips (old ones lying around in the glovebox), condition of the tyres and overall "feel" of the car.

Quote:
two,is autoterrace absolutely reliable?
Not as much that you can shut your eyes and buy whatever they offer you. The precautions listed out in our used car article remain mandatory.

Quote:
the car I bought second hand suffered from power steering leakage,how did you check for such kind of failures,problems that do not occur immediately?
The best protection you can have is to check the car inside out yourself, and by an authorised service station. Part failures are rare in modern cars. That said, they do happen (even on new cars) and there's nothing one can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Many congratulations GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats GTO!
Thank you.

Quote:
Honda Civic (before the price rise) was bang for the bucks, one of the Best Allrounder cars!
You can say that again. New Civic V prices shot up from 13.5 to high 14s today.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:59   #290
Senior - BHPian

Rush, a week back I saw you pass by me at sea face, saw the GTO sticker on rear bumper.
Nice and very clean Car friend, very dependable, Looks stunning in white[my preferred colour besides blues].
Congrats.
As and when you want to stiffen the suspension, do study the implications of adding a 20/25mm aluminium spacer above the struts, overall height will only go up by 15mm max. The handling does not change as much as people presume, and a size up on tire width offsets this little change. Mercedes had done a detailed study when they launched their cars in India with a 35mm lift to take care of the road conditions and how we load our cars here. Its a question of checking the handling with just the driver alone or with 4 people in the car!
Old 8th April 2010, 16:00   #291
BANNED

a civic in bombay costs over 16 laks and 17 laks for company reg
Old 8th April 2010, 18:35   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
a civic in bombay costs over 16 laks and 17 laks for company reg
I bought my S-AT on-road for only 12.8 lakhs in May 2007.
The increase is mainly due to inflation.
The savings in cash-based securities of a billion people are being lost slowly and steadily.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:36   #293
Senior - BHPian

When the dollar price goes up from 45 to 50. They immediately increase the price for this reason.

When dollar goes back to 45, they increase the price because of inflation.
Old 12th April 2010, 09:39   #294
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, pictures & details of my ICE install here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Nice and very clean Car friend, very dependable, Looks stunning in white[my preferred colour besides blues].
Congrats.
Thanks Scooby.

Quote:
As and when you want to stiffen the suspension, do study the implications of adding a 20/25mm aluminium spacer above the struts, overall height will only go up by 15mm max. The handling does not change as much as people presume, and a size up on tire width offsets this little change. Mercedes had done a detailed study when they launched their cars in India with a 35mm lift to take care of the road conditions and how we load our cars here. Its a question of checking the handling with just the driver alone or with 4 people in the car!
Will keep this in mind, appreciate the tip. I'm not too keen on raising the ride height though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I bought my S-AT on-road for only 12.8 lakhs in May 2007.
Typical Honda. They've silently raised the prices from the time of its original launch. Among other things, I feel this is to distance the Civic from its cheaper sibling the ANHC (avoid overlap).
Old 14th April 2010, 23:10   #295
BHPian

I've been meaning to ask you,auto terrace didn't offer a warranty on this car?

great sound system btw. congratulations,the installation is so clean and blends extraordinarily well.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:29   #296
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
I've been meaning to ask you,auto terrace didn't offer a warranty on this car?
I guess they do offer a 6 month warranty. Well, its out of the window now as I stick to my own service schedules. And modifications coming up soon!
Old 18th April 2010, 04:59   #297
BHPian

GTO, congratulations on this amazing deal. Hope you have a fantastic ownership experience.

I had walked away from a meticulously planned deal for a 320d recently only because of low motivation/inertia coupled with some answered question to close the transaction.

As the decision to write the check came closer, I became nervous about the following (inspite of BMW dealer giving full confidence etc.)

I was lacking confidence in the checking of basic safety and electronic features that we would be paying a premium for. Things like the electronic sensors, abs, airbags etc - since these are emergency activated, how do I personally satisfy myself with the functioning. I sometimes feel the BMW dealer may be conniving with the 3rd party dealer in making sure the deal goes thru.

Any tips?
Old 18th April 2010, 17:26   #298
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
GTO, congratulations on this amazing deal. Hope you have a fantastic ownership experience.
Thank you.

Quote:
I was lacking confidence in the checking of basic safety and electronic features that we would be paying a premium for. Things like the electronic sensors, abs, airbags etc - since these are emergency activated, how do I personally satisfy myself with the functioning. I sometimes feel the BMW dealer may be conniving with the 3rd party dealer in making sure the deal goes thru.

Any tips?
Look, the more expensive the car, the more sense it makes to buy used. Simply because cars that cost over 10 - 20 lakh depreciate like stink. I'm totally for buying "pre-worshipped" BMWs, Mercs and the like.

Back to your concerns, if there is a problem with any of the cars electronics, the on-board diagnostics will throw out an error. I suggest you thoroughly check the car out and have it professionally evaluated by the BMW dealer as well (with a written report). Take it one step further and call its insurer to check for any large claims. Can't get any safer than that

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2010 at 17:28.
Old 19th April 2010, 04:27   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you.

Look, the more expensive the car, the more sense it makes to buy used. Simply because cars that cost over 10 - 20 lakh depreciate like stink. I'm totally for buying "pre-worshipped" BMWs, Mercs and the like.

Back to your concerns, if there is a problem with any of the cars electronics, the on-board diagnostics will throw out an error. I suggest you thoroughly check the car out and have it professionally evaluated by the BMW dealer as well (with a written report). Take it one step further and call its insurer to check for any large claims. Can't get any safer than that
I have always been in favour of buying a ~30L car that depreciates by say 40% after 18-24 months of use. Just that I can afford to buy now

My problem is I want a car that is reliable as well, two year old accords go by for around 15L which is damn good VFM, and I would expect the maintenance costs and reliability much higher. People in my circle are giving up on the electricals of the Benz for sure. And that's what worries me the most. Cheaper cars come with much better reliability it seems than the Germans now :( Specially ones bought 2-3 years ago which are now out of warranty. The BMW Corp Edition with the warranty and service packs make a lot of sense. But that's for a different thread.

OT: you might be interested in looking at a W124 in Mumbai here: Find Buy/Sell Second hand cars, Pre owned cars, Buy cars, Sell cars, Find a car, Sell a car Portal, Car Magazines
Old 19th April 2010, 09:14   #300
Senior - BHPian

Euro electricals (and especially Merc) have always been behind Japanese cars. They just Do It Better (tm). However, if you get the car checked out at BMW's A.S.S and see if they give it a clean chit, you'll be safe I think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks