Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 20:35   #11056
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Have used this Coolant from Shell two years back (mine is Diesel)
Does it have Ford specification mentioned? How did you confirm it would be suit Ford Figo?

Also, I see it mentioned Ready to Use so I assume it no water needs to be added.
Old 12th October 2022, 11:18   #11057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Does it have Ford specification mentioned? How did you confirm it would be suit Ford Figo?

Also, I see it mentioned Ready to Use so I assume it no water needs to be added.
FNG asked me to get this from a near by Shell gas station. I don't have any idea about the specification. It is ready to use, no need to mix with water.
Old 16th November 2022, 11:59   #11058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0;4418245
Also Check out the "spare parts" tab on the top menu. You might find the price there. Have a look at the link I have posted.

[URL="http://oriparts.com/42/366/2119/737727"
http://oriparts.com/42/366/2119/737727[/url]
This is an excellent link to find part numbers. But I have a question. I could see same part available with 3 or 4 different part numbers. Tried to check boodmo and same is available. But then any idea which would be the right part number for my VIN? The compatibility on boodmo shows both are acceptable. Are the parts interchangeable?
Old 17th November 2022, 15:24   #11059
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
My Figo has some repairs lined up. I'm planning to get it done from Engineering Exponents, Whitefield-Bengaluru. Only problem is I stay at one end of the city and EE is at another end. May have to reserve a day for this. I will call them in advance and set up an appointment.
  • AC blower is burnt. replacement cost would be around 5K to 6K
Finally, My Figo went for an AC blower change. I checked with FORD service and they said I have to leave the car for 3 full days with them. They didn't even connect me with their service advisors to know the approximate cost. So I dropped the authorized service option. Next up was a private car garage near Turahalli forest road (AMS service). They had diagnosed the blower issue and quited 2K for removal and fitting of dashboard plus the cost of spare blower. around 6-7k. Lastly, I made up my mind to get it done at Aditya Car AC in koramangala. From forum discussions and google reviews -felt it was a good idea to go to them as they only work on AC and are experts.

On checking with them, I was told they would need 2 hours to complete the job. Since they didn't have a FORD OEM AC blower, I ordered the exact part number from Boodmo and took it to them at around 4pm. work started at brisk pace and 2-3 guys quickly dismantled the steering and dashboard. All the removed trims were arranged in order inside the shop. I used the opportunity to clean the fine dust off the dashboard internals and trims. Till 8PM they kept on trying to fix the new blower unsuccessfully. Then they told me that the new blower is not aligning to the screw holes perfectly and hence they are not able to fix it. I was surprised as I had ordered a proper OEM spare part. Since it was the 9th day after delivery, I immediately initiated a return with boodmo. Took a video of alignment issue as proof if boodmo declines the refund. Fortunately, they refunded the amount.

The AC shop had a spare blower of FORD brand. Since they had removed the dashboard, I agreed to go ahead and install their spare ac blower. After refitting the dashboard, they took it for a test ride and I don't know what happened, they came back pushing the car. Said they need the spare key to start the car. Since I wasn't carrying the spare key with me, I left the car with them and went home by uber at 10 pm.

Next day morning, I reached there by 10am with the spare key. They did something and asked me to go for a test ride and handed over the car to me. I was near Banashankari bus stand and when the car went on a road hump, it stalled and the car refused to start after that. Was getting the engine lock symbol(immobilizer) alert. Called AC shop guys and they asked me to disconnect the battery and connect and try again. Did everything and nothing worked. Then they gave a couple of car scanner contacts and one guy agreed to attend. He came and reprogrammed the key. By the time I reached home, it was 3pm.

Post this repair, the car was idle for 2 weeks and when I took it out a couple of days back, on the way to the office - smoke started coming from the bonnet. I switched off the car and opened the bonnet to see what had happened. There was green liquid sprayed in the engine bay and a little amount on the road too. I switched off the AC and took it to a nearby garage. Mech there told, it is AC liquid and asked to get it checked at the AC shop itself. He said it is safe to drive with the AC switched off. I went again to Aditya AC. They asked to switch-on the AC and keep it running for 5-10 mins. Said nothing to worry and the green liquid is compressor oil which is sprayed from the AC pressure valve if the radiator fan doesn't work properly and overheating happens. He asked to get the fan functioning from an auto electrical shop. Overall an adventurous journey, just to change an AC blower costing only 3000/- bucks.

In all I spent 12K as below,
  • 8k - AC blower + fitting + gas/oil top up
  • 1k - uber charges
  • 3k - key reprogramming ( I am assuming, key got decoded during dashboard
removal and fitting process. As till then keys were perfectly working fine).

Lessons learnt,
For jobs requiring removal of dashboard etc, better go with authorized service centers. I spent 2 days, double the initial estimate, got stranded, and the AC shop washed off their hand saying the key getting decoded is not their making. If not bad taste, the whole experience didn't leave a good taste to go again for any major work with them.

Hope this helps someone looking for AC repair.

Cheers,
HTC
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-3.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-4.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-2.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-5.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-6.jpg  

HTC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 15:30   #11060
BHPian

After 12 wonderful years and 1,84,000 km, I parted with my 2010 Ford Figo petrol Zxi.

The vehicle was trouble free till about a year back, when multiple issues started showing up, First was AC compressor failure, then change of bearing, gear shift lever cable (it took 15 days to get the correct spare), AC water leakage in cabin and finally oil leakage from engine which resulted in a major engine repair (took 5 weeks to get the car back).

Till then, I had spent pittance on this wonderful car. First tyre change at 65K, next at 135K and then the front tyres at 175K. All the parts are stock and no major overhaul till now.

It is one of the finest hatch backs to have been made and no wonder there are quite a few old generation Figo's still on road

The well calibrated HPS, excellent ergonomics and driving comfort made it a pleasure to drive inspiteof the slightly under powered but eager duratec 1.2l petrol engine.

Best in class AC, wonderful music system, electrically adjustable OVRMs, RVM with antiglare features, theater style dimming cabin lamps were all VFM features which many of the cars of that time didn't have.

It is sad after having made such great cars like Figo and Eco Sport, Ford had to close its India operation
raju2512 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 15:13   #11061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Even I have been declining change of gear box mount/bedding for the past 6 years.
One update. I have changed the gear box / engine mount. As for vibrations, I can elaborate what I experienced. The vibrations are felt only in the first gear when you are moving the car from stand still or if you are on an incline and your car is just crawling. The car would jerk couple of times before it picks speed. You'll feel any vibrations in any other gear or speed. The vibrations are pretty noticeable in the aforementioned scenario.

I went for an aftermarket mount (TechNix) available at boodmo. Cost about 1200+ 250 labor. Original was for 5200 on boodmo.

The old mount looked as below. It has deformity but isn't cracked anywhere, what my Ford SA always used to claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20221121_144127.jpg  

shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 15:40   #11062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for vibrations, I can elaborate what I experienced. The vibrations are felt only in the first gear when you are moving the car from stand still or if you are on an incline and your car is just crawling. The car would jerk couple of times before it picks speed. You'll feel any vibrations in any other gear or speed. The vibrations are pretty noticeable in the aforementioned scenario.

I went for an aftermarket mount (TechNix) available at boodmo. Cost about 1200+ 250 labor. Original was for 5200 on boodmo.

The old mount looked as below. It has deformity but isn't cracked anywhere, what my Ford SA always used to claim.
Thanks for the update. i have not changed it in my annual service of last week. Also, in my case, i get those vibrations only when i am crawling on an incline.

I'll certainly go for the after market mount you have purchased if vibrations get worse. I guess you have got that installed an an FNG, right?

As regards my Figo's service of last week, the bill was Rs 6935, and it included Rs 795 for rat repellant and Rs 650 for engine bay treatment. No other job was suggested by Vibrant Ford. And the car was hardly driven 3400 kms in the last 14 months from the earlier service.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 00:52   #11063
HTC
BANNED

And so it happened.

Today, I was on my way to the office. Since it was around 12pm which is non peak hour, traffic was sparse. I heard some weird rubbing noise in the engine bay and the car ignition got cut off. Since the car was in motion, I was able to park it to the side of the double road. switched on the hazard lights and opened the bonnet. I could see the drive belt had given up. part of the belt was shredded. Lucky that I was going at slow speed and the entire belt didn't get cut. It would have caused more damage for sure. Wondering what to do next, I searched car garages nearby on google maps. found a couple within 300mts. Also tried my luck chatting with GoMechanic AI bot and gave up. Decided to try my luck with a nearby car garage. Placed the reflective triangle on top of the car so that cops would not tow the car away for parking on the road. Enquired with a nearby 2wheeler mechanic and reached the car garage (Karnataka Auto Garage - HAL 2nd stage). It is run by an old mechanic and situated in a temple premises under a peepal tree with ample space. I explained my situation to the owner and he was kind enough to send 3 of his mechs to push and get my car to the garage.

Without wasting much time, one of the mechanics removed the V belt and asked me to get the replacement spares ( Belt and bearing). Took an ola auto to CMH road and bought necessary spares from Galaxy automobile store. Spares are not OEM, but I didn't have a choice either. cost me around 1200/- for the feed belt and bearing. They fixed the belt in the next 20 mins and charged me 300/- for labor. gave some tips for the guys who pushed the car and the mech who fixed the belt.

Previously, drive belt assembly ( including pulley & tensioner) was changed during 80k service at FORD service. The changed part lasted 55k. Lucky that it didn't give up on the highway or in busy traffic.**
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-whatsapp-image-20221122-13.15.36.jpeg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-whatsapp-image-20221122-16.39.54.jpeg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-whatsapp-image-20221122-13.15.48.jpeg  

HTC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:59   #11064
BHPian

Quote:
Also, in my case, i get those vibrations only when i am crawling on an incline.
I guess you have got that installed an an FNG, right?
Then I think you mount too needs replacement since the vibrations are there during crawling up an incline.

Yes, I changed it at a neighborhood garage. Whether friendly or not is debatable. Seems you need time (multiple job visits) to develop rapo where the rates billed are reasonable. First NG quoted me 500 for simple 10 min bolt on job. I had watched youtube video hence knew it is a 10 min job. This NG I had used for annual service just 1 month back but still rate quoted was high. Hence checked with another who quoted 250. Got it replaced from him.

Quote:
Lucky that it didn't give up on the highway or in busy traffic.**
Mine did give up on highway speed of 70/80 kmph. I did get a jolt due to loss of power steering loss but wasn't panicked. Wasn't lucky to find any garage/spares nearby hence had to tow using a towing cable tied to a scorpio for some 40 km, all along steering while sitting inside.

BTW, did the pulley also get damaged? I just changed the belt which I replaced with Ford genuine belt after coming back home. The aftermarket one I keep as spare in the car of any such breakdown in future.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 16:35   #11065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And so it happened.

Previously, drive belt assembly ( including pulley & tensioner) was changed during 80k service at FORD service. The changed part lasted 55k. Lucky that it didn't give up on the highway or in busy traffic.**
You are lucky that it happened in sparse traffic. It happened to mine also in Sep 2020, when my daughter was entering my complex for parking. The belt had shredded and was making squeaking sound. She called me and i could not figure out why the sound was coming and the steering was hard. We pushed the car to the parking slot and called FASS. They asked me to check the accessories belt, and lo behold, it was shredded, though still in place.

They sent a couple of guys the following morning with the part, and they fixed it within 20 minutes. The belt was earlier changed in mid 2015, when the odo was 39k. It lasted only 5 years with around 41k kms on the odo.

They were charging me around 1200 incl labour and another 500 for visiting charges. I called the SA and he agreed to waive the visiting charges. But as the car was already 8 years old, i decided to send the car to FASS with the same guys for a timing belt change and other related parts. They gave the car back the following day. The total bill came to 15k.

Below are pics of the accessories belt being changed at home.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20200929_123748.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20200929_123440.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 19:36   #11066
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
BTW, did the pulley also get damaged? I just changed the belt which I replaced with Ford genuine belt after coming back home. The aftermarket one I keep as spare in the car of any such breakdown in future.
Lucky you. At those speeds, if the belt had snapped, you would be staring at some major engine components repairs. I can understand the pain of getting stranded at far away places or highways. Simple job of a thousand or two gets converted into several thousands considering towing charges, arranging spares, time lost and additional hotel booking if not fixed on same date. I had similar experience in Goa last year. Clutch gave up when we were in Goa. Service cost was 11k, but I had to extend my stay by one day in Goa, rent a car for 2 days and vacation time lost and what not.

Regarding the pulley, Since belt did not snap or cut into two, only the bearing and belt were replaced. Thanks for suggestion, I willchange the aftermarket belt and bearing with OEM parts during next service at FORD A$$. Will keep these as backup in the car, just in case. I'm wondering, after how many KMs the drive belt needs replacement.

Quote:
They were charging me around 1200 incl labour and another 500 for visiting charges. I called the SA and he agreed to waive the visiting charges. But as the car was already 8 years old, i decided to send the car to FASS with the same guys for a timing belt change and other related parts. They gave the car back the following day. The total bill came to 15k.
1200 + 500 for just v-belt and labor seems too excessive. Even though they waived off 500 bucks, they had covered the labor charges in 1200/- I suppose.

Timing belt change is recommended for 120k kms. Looks like you got it done earlier though. One irritation with going to for ford service station is the time spent to get things done.

Cheers
HTC
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 20:14   #11067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1200 + 500 for just v-belt and labor seems too excessive. Even though they waived off 500 bucks, they had covered the labor charges in 1200/- I suppose.

Timing belt change is recommended for 120k kms. Looks like you got it done earlier though. One irritation with going to for ford service station is the time spent to get things done.

Cheers
HTC
Yeah, 1200 includes labour charges of around 400 rupees.

Timing belt not only has a km linkage, but is also age-related. It is a rubber part that will not last long, and if it snaps one will be staring at a huge bill.

The car was 8 years old / 80000 clicks on the odo when I decided to get the timing belt changed.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 21:23   #11068
BHPian

Quote:

Timing belt change is recommended for 120k kms. Looks like you got it done earlier though.
HTC
Quote:

Timing belt not only has a km linkage, but is also age-related.
Agree. I too got my timing belt and associated pulleys replaced at 8 year (100k) mark. I had tried to find the recommended interval in the user manual but there is none. Verbally, in India, Ford says replace timing belt at 5 yr/ 120k mark. But in Europe, as per few websites, it is 10 yr / 120k.
Old 27th November 2022, 21:26   #11069
BHPian

Rear Decal/Ford emblem on my 1st gen Figo fell off somewhere :(

Where can I get a replacement from? I checked boodmo and it is for 1200, too costly i would say. Anything cheaper available online?
Old 8th December 2022, 16:30   #11070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree. I too got my timing belt and associated pulleys replaced at 8 year (100k) mark. I had tried to find the recommended interval in the user manual but there is none. Verbally, in India, Ford says replace timing belt at 5 yr/ 120k mark. But in Europe, as per few websites, it is 10 yr / 120k.
It is mentioned in the service schedule page. See a snapshot from the link below -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3309179 (How often should we change gear oil?)
Timing belt to be replaced at 120k km or 5 years - mentioned at the bottom of the table in blue.

I sold my Figo D exactly at the 5 year mark with 70k on the ODO and had told the new owner about the pending timing belt change. He choose to ignore it and I think the belt failed about 6 months later, but luckily didn't cause too much damage.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks