Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 20:12   #11011
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Have anyone replaced injector of figo/fiesta classic recently. Is this amount normal ?
I replaced all 4 injectors recently. The cost per injector was Rs.12433. I got it changed from this FNG (Car scanning & ECM Repairs - Shafi's Garage (Trivandrum)). The parts were bought from Kairali Ford here in Trivandrum itself.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20210824_200455_013.jpg

I was advised to get all the 4 injectors replaced, even though only 2 were having issue. He said that eventually the other 2 will also go kaput. I am wondering, since you changed only 1, is that sufficient?
dragntailonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:29   #11012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
I am wondering, since you changed only 1, is that sufficient?
As per them one injector was fully gone, one has some minor variation and other two were fine. They suggested to replace one and do a test drive. From the odo reading, their test drive was 20 Km. I drove 10 Km after that. It was fine.
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 10:05   #11013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
Okay then, it’s time for a short and nutty tale about the Figo. I went for a wheel alignment and balancing yesterday, and I saw that the technician was struggling to remove some of the wheel nuts with an impact wrench. He eventually affixed a caliper (No idea why a caliper, and, forgot to ask as well), with a nut key?, and finally managed to loosen it.
I was told that this is a regular problem with all Ford cars with alloys, like the Ecosport, Fiesta etc. The nut has a metal covering that eventually gets torn away, making it virtually impossible to screw it back on. I saw a few such specimen, and it was not a pretty look.

I am left with a few questions at the end of all this:
Is this a fate shared by all fellow Ford owners?
Were the nuts in my car destroyed, due to incorrect usage of impact wrenches done previously?
Was there enough damage done to justify changing all the original nuts?
Yes, this is a problem with all Ford's with alloys (the same nut design is used across the range). The top cover is a soft decorative cap which gets deformed easily if pneumatic tools are used. I've had this issue on my Figo and like you I eventually changed all of them with an aftermarket single piece design. Link to the same issue I had on my Figo (My Kinetic Blue Ford Figo Titanium Diesel)

My Ecosport is 3 years old now and have made it a point to make sure pneumatic tools are not used and so far so good (*fingers crossed*)

The actual best solution for this is to get the decorative cap removed and you then have a solid one piece nut. All you need is a new 18mm spanner and you are good to go. In my case, I could not find anyone who was willing to remove these caps for all the 16 nuts !
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 18:58   #11014
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I had battery charging issue in my 2011 Figo last year and the alternator is changed. The cost is less than 5K (don't remember the exact amount). I have done this work in a FNG near my house.
Thanks sharing the cost details.

This behaviour has been erratic. I took the car to a nearby FNG. They tested and said the battery charging is happening properly. Again I went to battery shop. This time around the readings were looking fine. Battery guy has asked me to get the battery replaced on warranty if this repeats again. So far, car is starting normally. My only worry is getting stranded when on highways. Fingers crossed.

Since the battery is 2 yrs old, not sure if changing the battery will solve this. Will observe for few more days and take a call. In next couple of weeks, have few outstation trips panned and hope things will be fine.
1.15 lac kms and still on original clutch. I have been running the car in one lower gear than before. This helps in better pick up and control, at the expense of couple of km FE per liter of fuel. Which I am perfectly fine I guess.

Anyone who has done clutch inspection and overhaul in non FORD service centers in Bangalore? inputs are much appreciated.

Till then,
Stay safe and have fun!

Last edited by HTC : 26th August 2021 at 18:59.
Old 6th October 2021, 19:40   #11015
HTC
BHPian

Quick update on my Figo 1.4 TDCI.

Since past couple of months I was getting a 'kat kat' sound from right front wheels. It sounded like a pebble struck in the tyre threads. It was intermittent and used to happen randomly, but never immediately after cranking the engine. I played the ignorant card and blamed the possible stone struck to the tyre threads.

Last week, in the parking lot, when I started the car, could hear very distinct 'kat kat' sound from engine bay. Similar to a table fan blade hitting something. Inspected the sound and found that it was coming from the alternator area. Didn't take the risk of taking out the car. Next day drove very slowly to FNG nearby. The mechanic inspected and told that sound is from AC compressor. He suggested a car AC repair shop as well.

Car AC repair shop guy checked the compressor and said the compressor can not be repaired and needs replacement. He gave me two options,
  • Opton 1- get a seconds compressor from him. Usually procured from accident cars. costs around 8k and around 2k for fixing/gas recharge etc.
  • Option 2- get new compressor. This costs around 14k. Plus fixing charges of 2k.
My question, Is there any harm if I drive the car till AC compressor is replaced? Will it impact other components adversely?

If no harm, can i do a 140km trip? asking because I have to visit hometown over weekend and do not have the time to get it repaired this week.

Also, if any one has got the 1.4 TDCI AC Compressor replaced in FASS, what was the final bill? Thanks in advance.

Drive safe and have fun!
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 16:42   #11016
HTC
BHPian

In recent rains, I noticed that water was seeping into boot floor. Took it to FA$$ at Bannergatta road in Bangalore. They said, this is body shop work and I have to go to body shop. That is located quite far from city near to Nice road junction on Bannergatta road. With half heart, went to body shop. I was promptly attended, was offered coffee which I rejected first, then asked the lady who was serving - 'if the coffee is good?'. For which she said - 'how will I know before tasting'. well I accepted the challenge and took the coffee from her. In fact it was good.

Service advisor took note of the complaint and asked another person to recreate the issue. All it took was to pour 2 mugs of water on the roof. I was sitting on rear seat and observing from where water was seeping. I saw the water flowing like a rivulet from underneath the LHS tail lamp section. Like a excited kid, I showed the service guy where the water was seeping from. He promptly calls the service advisor and gives the list of things to be done.

"Saar, Bumper removal and refit. Plastic holder/seal through which wires pass is broken and hence not covering the gap properly causing water ingress. Need to apply sealant for it. And there are two air vents on either sides for which sealant needs to be applied".
So, Basically apply sealant at three places and refit the bumper.

Service advisor gave a quote of 4500/- for this work . I was taken aback. Asked him why? He said - "there is lot of work". I reasoned with him that it is just applying sealant, removing and fitting bumper. Why would it cost 4.5K? He says, ok sir, i will give you discount. will get it done in 4k. along with fixing, will get a spray coat of paint to the boot where rust spots are there due to water collection. Still I was not convinced. He also added that, A new sealant tube costing 1.5K is opened for each repair. and hence its costly repair.

I agree, they have to earn and make a living. But not like this. Disappointed, I said I will decide and come back if I decide to get it done at FA$$. Checked with a FNG near my place and he checked again and showed that the clip is broken in the seal ( reference pic attached) and if I can get that clip( costs <200 rs), no need of sealant as well. I will try to get this part from Ford's spares section. if not, have to search aftermarket.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo_tail_seal.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-boot-leak.jpg  

HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 23:08   #11017
HTC
BHPian

Update on water leaking issue( Continued from previous post).

Was not able to get the replacement seal from Ford A$$. They said they dont do 'on the counter' sale of spares. Fair enough, I got the sealent applied at a tinkering shop near my house and let it set for 24 hrs. Tested next day and water leaking is resolved. Costed 200 bucks ( vs 4500/- at A$$).

Few big ticket items pending- AC repair/replace, clutch overhaul, suspension check, injector cleaning are some on top priority.
Old 30th October 2021, 14:11   #11018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
As I don't have an LTO thread on the Figo 1.4 tdci Titanium of Oct 2012 vintage, I thought of posting some recent repairs on this thread.
I give it to Vibrant Ford a couple of months ago, and they found a coolant leak from the thermostat housing. Therefore they replaced it and also some coolant. Cost me Rs 6710 for that (3700 for the thermostat assy, 1700 for the coolant and the rest labor).
I found some stains on the floor on the front right of the car in its parking spot a couple of days ago. Those did not look like water stains.

The car was used for 30 kms everyday for the past week by my wife. I also smelt some fried kind of smell when I parked it after she returned 2 days ago. To be doubly sure, I parked it in reverse direction so that I could check for stains the following morning. I could not spot any leakage in the engine bay that evening though--perhaps due to low visibility.

Lo behold--the following morning, I did find minor stains on the floor, and the engine bay revealed some drops of pink liquid dropping from the pipe behind the radiator. But a closer look revealed the source to be higher up. The coolant tank also was nearly empty.

So I gave it to FASS today and got a call just now that it is the same thermostat assembly that was replaced last September (2020) and the car had barely run 3900 kms from then. Sadly the warranty is only for 6 months, so i gave them the go ahead to change it. It is unfortunate that genuine parts from Ford are failing so soon---the original had lasted 8 years though.

I've also asked them to replace the 2 central AC vents that were broken for quite a long time. They were out of stock when the car was serviced 2 months ago. Will know the cost when the car is returned in the evening.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 19:33   #11019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found some stains on the floor on the front right of the car in its parking spot a couple of days ago. Those did not look like water stains.

So I gave it to FASS today and got a call just now that it is the same thermostat assembly that was replaced last September (2020) and the car had barely run 3900 kms from then. Sadly the warranty is only for 6 months, so i gave them the go ahead to change it. It is unfortunate that genuine parts from Ford are failing so soon---the original had lasted 8 years though.

The total cost was Rs 8854 and the car was delivered at home after a good wash and vacuum cleaning of the interiors. The cost includes replacement of thermostat assembly, coolant worth Rs 541, 2 central AC vents, an nut on one of the wheels , labour and GST.

While it is good that parts are available for the 1st gen Figo that was discontinued 6 to 7 years ago, the sad part is poor quality of parts---like the thermostat assembly that failed in 13 months, with barely 3700 kms on the odo.

In the near future I plan to get the power steering return hose and turbo pipe replaced. And then the long-pending gear box bedding that was recommended 5 years ago.

The good thing about the car is that it never fails to bring a smile on the face when driven, and moreso on the highway. This apart, my wife is now comfortable driving this car, though she initially felt it was bigger than the WagonR that she used to drive.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th October 2021 at 22:59. Reason: As requested
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 18:36   #11020
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
While it is good that parts are available for the 1st gen Figo that was discontinued 6 to 7 years ago, the sad part is poor quality of parts---like the thermostat assembly that failed in 13 months, with barely 3700 kms on the odo.
Agree with you. I faced similar issue with the replaced OEM engine mounts having slack after 5k kms. Due to covid, couldn't run the car much and the engine mount issue was observed after 6 months of parts warranty. lot of engine vibration on switching on/off of car. I wrote a email to ford customer support expressing my disappointing on the quality or parts and service. Got 50% discount on the replacement parts. Sadly, you are left with only SVC support now. Or give it a try as FORD still has to support existing customers. Good luck.

True, though low on power, it makes it up with superb handling
Old 17th November 2021, 20:10   #11021
HTC
BHPian

I was wondering how much I have spent on services so far. My Figo 1.4 TDCI has run 1.16 lac kms so far. All the periodic services are carried out at Authorized Ford service centers.
  • 1st 10k Service : Free service around 4000/-.
    Major work: Steering rack replaced under warranty

• 2nd 20k Service : Free service around 4000/-
    Major: Torsion bar replaced (recall)

• 3rd 30k service : couldn't find the bill - would be around 6000/-

• 4th 40k Service: 8000/-
    Fleeced : Could have checked the bill before taking the car back,
    a) There was a item by name 'internal panel protection charge' costing 1800/- . Don't know what this is .
    b) Wheel Balancing & Alignment - 1000/-

• 5th 50k service: 4000/-

• 6th 60k service: 9400/-
    Fleeced:
    a) Fuel heater assy - 1000/-. This was supposed to be done free as this was to be due to some part design change.
    b) Wheel balancing & alignment - 900/-

• 7th 70k service: 6700/-
    Major: Brake pads replacement - 3000/-

• 8th 80k service: 18000/-
    Major: Front shocks - 4200/-
    Drive Belt+pulley - 4000/-
    Bearing related - 3000/-

• 9th 90k service: 7200/-
    Major: speed sensor 1000/-

• 10th 1lac service: 17400/-
    Major: Engine & Gear bedding mounts - 10000/-

• 11th 1.1 lac service: 7500/-

Apart from above
  • Glow plug replacement at 81k kms: 5000/-
  • Dent repair under insurance claim after 1lac kms: 17500/-

If I sum it up, it is around 95k for 10 yrs maintenance. Not bad I would say. I have gotten 17+ kmpl fuel efficiency through out and car is still on original clutch. Showed it to nearby FNG and after a test drive he said 'there is nothing to worry about the car and asked to add diesel additive and run for 500kms to reduce the engine harshness. I have ordered Liquimoly diesel additive.
HTC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:24   #11022
HTC
BHPian

Update on my Figo TDCI 1.4:

I was feeling the steering is tighter than necessary. Checked the tyre air pressure to be double sure. Still felt the same. Took it to a nearby garage . The service manager did a test run and said the alignment balancing needs to be checked once and asked me to go to a specific wheel alignment shop as they do the 'manual alignment' which irons out any issues that would have happened in the prior alignment (may be due their machines not being calibrated properly). since I wanted to get the tyre rotation done as well, I decided to go ahead with his suggestion.

I went to the wheel alignment shop ( Perfect alignment, Ring road, near JP nagar metro station, Bangalore). While removing the front right wheel, the guy who was at it called me and told that one of the wheel bolts is threaded wrongly and it may break if he tries to remove it. And he assured me that even if the bolt breaks, car repair shops will have nut-bolt ready and I can drive with three bolts till then without any issues. He guaranteed that it is a 5 min job for car service guys to put a new nut & bolt. I trusted him and asked him to go ahead and remove the wheel. As he said, the bolt broke. Wheel alignment and balancing done. I went back home.

Took the car to the car garage and asked them to put a new nut-bolt in place of the broken one. To my shock, the service manager said that it is not a small task, the hub needs to be removed and taken to lathe work for removing the stuck bolt. He gave an estimate of 1000/-. Well, I had a long drive in a couple of days, So asked him to go ahead and do it. This was to be done by his mechanic who was yet to reach the garage. I waited for one hour, lost patience and excused myself from there thinking of visiting them after lunch.

On the way to home, I saw another garage near my home. It is owned by a slightly older ex Maruti service guy. Iexplained to him the situation. He put the car on ramp ( small setup, but still had a quality ramp) and removed the wheel, disk and hub. He took a small hammer and hit the broken nut gently 3-4 times. Off came the bolt. So much for the explanation given by the previous garage guy. He asked me to get the bolt from a nearby auto parts store, so that he can quickly fix the bolt and free the ramp. Unfortunately, none of the shops had exact nut &bolt in stock. So I had to go to JC road and visit 7-8 shops and finally found one shop ( shop name: 'Shello' on 2nd cross ) where they stock ford parts. Got the part and also a few accessories. Got a full set of mud flaps for old figo for 250/-. this included the clips needed to fix them ( instead of drilling or screwing). Shop owner for a gentleman and didn't push any items. Bought a rat repellent ( smells like mint ) as well as a tiny mouse becoming more adventurous in our small apartment complex parking lot. it keeps visiting all cars without damaging anything. Came back to the garage and got the wheel bolt fixed and mud flaps installed. The service cost was 400/-.

Since the car was on the ramp, I inspected the underbody. Found that the minimal oil stains on the oil sump which is from the Oil pump O ring seal. which has been there for a few years and service center has told not to worry, unless the oil level dips considerably. Found that the clip holding the fuel pipe from the fuel tank was unhinged and was not in place. Will get it fixed soon. Not an issue though.

I could have gone to the Ford service station. But it will take a minimum of half a day and if they are fully booked, and have to leave the car with them. add to that uber charges. Not worth it.Wanted to share these so that other owners can benefit. Since ford has discontinued sales, it is tricky to get few spares as the service center will not sell any spares over the counter. Hope this helps.

In the last few days,Ihave installed new wipers (Bosch), changed engine oil after 7000 kms ( castrol 5w-30 start stop synthetic oil) , oil filter, AC cabin filter, installed door visors.

That's all for now.
Drive safe and have fun.
HTC
HTC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 16:20   #11023
HTC
BHPian

Forgot to add pics in previous post. Here they go.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211209_120706.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211209_123949.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211210_151140.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211210_153551.jpg  

Old 20th December 2021, 15:56   #11024
HTC
BHPian

Hello all,

Here is a quick update on my Figo 1.4 TDCI.

Did a Bangalore-Goa trip last week. I had replaced the engine oil after 7k kms and did wheel balancing and alignment. Apart from regular Annual service at 1 year or 10k, there was nothing pending. I decided to get the AMS done at FASS after returning from the GOA trip. I was still on the original clutch at 1.17 lac kms, but it was not giving any trouble. So had decided to get it overhauled after this trip.

As my FNG manager suggested, I added 200ml of ‘Liqui Moly - Super Diesel Additive’ to full tank of diesel to clean the injectors. Onward journey was good. Could maintain constant high speeds in upward of 120 kmph when the roads were good and visibility till a few kms clear. Hell, I even did 130-140 speeds on short bursts. New tyres (Pirelli cinturato p6 which had 7k kms under them), aligned wheels, new engine oil - all were working in symphony and the car was very stable throughout the journey.
Only fly in the ointment was the additional constant buffeting wind noise which I doubt was due to the newly installed door visors. Apart from that, the ride quality was awesome. Loved what a small car like this can do given good roads.

We halted at Dharwad and proceeded towards Goa the next morning. Had booked a stay at Radisson Phoenix park inn - Candolim. This is where Dr Murphy decided to strike (Read Murphy’s law if you are not aware). Since the hotel has limited parking, they took the car keys. I told them to be gentle on the gear. I assumed that they would be moving the car out of hotel parking to make way for cars parked behind. What I didn’t know or they didn't tell me was that they park guests' cars in some far away parking space overnight.

In the morning, while having breakfast, the manager calls and tells that night the car gear stopped working midway when they were taking it to their parking yard and they pushed it back to the hotel parking lot. I went and checked. Gear was slotting, but the car was not moving. So, their valet driver burnt the clutch royally. The hotel manager was so casual and did not own up to anything. Since I did not want to create a scene, I moved on. I have taken their customer care number and am going to escalate to Radisson management.

I had to arrange for a mechanic to check if anything could be done. He checked and said that nothing can be deduced as gear is not engaging. With no hopes left, I arranged a tow truck to take it to Ford A$$ which was 40 kms away in South Goa (Kings Ford). Kings Ford opened the job card only the next day and said it will take 2 days to work on the car. Since I didn't have an option, I had to extend my stay by one more day and booked a hotel in south goa.

Car was ready by 4pm. It was only a clutch overhaul. Clutch assembly and slave cylinder were replaced. Bill came up to 12k. Service manager Mustafa was very professional to deal with.
Net - Net, I had to spend close to 15K extra, apart from the repair charge due to the hotel driver’s mistake.

Next day, we started at around 9 am from Goa and reached Bengaluru by 9pm with around 2 hrs of food and other breaks. Only one incident on the road happened. Somewhere between Hubli and Chitradurga a Langur ( Lion tailed macaque) was jumping and crossing the road. I was in the lane next to the partition. I saw it from far, lifted my feet off the throttle. It jumped and reached the median. And seeing truck traffic on the other side of the road, decided to turn back. Since I was on the median, I had stepped on gas, and realised it was running back. Had to do a 20 degree severe move to avoid it coming in front of my car. Nothing difficult for go-kart like Figo. I saw the langur reach the shoulder of the road in my rear view mirror.

Apart from above, few strange things are happening which point to electrical germelings for sure,
  • Passenger side window control switch was not working from the driver's seat. But it started working during return journey.
  • Hazard light switching on on its own. Had to press the hazard light button twice to switch it off. Also, all doors unlocked and locked on their own a few times.
  • The speedo needle jumping. It oscillates between actual speed and 200kmph position on its own. This behavior, I am observing for the 2nd time and it started happening after using the pass switch.
  • Almost near to Dharwad highway, I had to stop the car for a bio break. When I turned on the car, Nothing happened. Dashboard light didnt come on. Nothing. I tried again and it worked fine.
  • To that, the audio also got reset. Which means the battery got disconnected. Maybe due to loose connection.

All these are pointing to some loose connection near the battery or grounding somewhere. I don't have hope on FASS as I had left the car for 2-3 days just to check the electricals and all I got back was my car with more scratches on the audio system.

Can anyone suggest a good FNG or experts in car electricals in Bengaluru?

Figo gave a decent fuel economy of 17 KMPH on average for the entire 1200 kms trip. I am happy with the FE as the dive speeds were mostly on the higher side.

Here are the pics of the replaced old clutch set. Clutch disc(last pic) has some bent surfaces indicating what might have happened. Not bad, 1.17 lac kms on the original clutch.

Drive safe and have fun!
HTC
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211220_142919.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211220_142930.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211220_142939.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211220_142950.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20211220_143048.jpg  

HTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 22:29   #11025
BHPian

I had to replace the second fuel injector of my 2011 TDCI figo last week. First one was replaced 3 months ago. After the second one replaced I noticed that the "distance to empty"is going down quicker than before. I refuelled and checked again. After refuelling I drove 65 km and the decrease in DTE was 120 km. I called the service advisor and informed about the issue. He said this not related to injector and fuel tank needs to be checked. I don't think it is correct. Anyone faced such an issue ? Any guess on the cause ?
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks