Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 19:36   #10531
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
Went to a local mechanic and got the following things replaced with Ford originals -
1. Both Link Rods
2. Both Tie rods and ti-rod ends
3. Both side caliper pins

The ride quality is good, and the rattling from the suspension and the the steering is gone. Total damage done : 12,000 for the parts and 600 for the labor.
Do you have the invoice of spare parts ? 12k for these parts doesn't sound right.

Quote:
Now, the sad part - Yesterday evening all of a sudden the A/C stopped cooling - the compressor would not turn on. Only the fan was working, throwing hot air. From a few days - I had been hearing a hissing noise from the A/C unit and reduced cooling and now all of a sudden no cooling.

Today morning, when I tried the A/C it again started working and strangely there was no hissing noise. What could it be and how much damage to the pocket can I expect?

Shall I get it done from FASS or a local mechanic is preferred?
Hissing noise is from the expansion valve and it is perfectly normal for it it to hiss whenever the compressor kicks-in. If you hear a continuous hissing sound then the system is low on refrigerant.

Low Refrigerant can be due to leak or normal usage.
For the time being- get the refrigerant topped-up. If the AC stops working within 15-30 days then you have a leak somewhere(most probably the evaporator coil) which needs to be fixed.

So don't go to the FASS right away, find a good car AC repair shop and top-up the refrigerant. Pay no more than 500-750rs for the top-up.

Feel free to PM me for more details.
interc00led is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:41   #10532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Do you have the invoice of spare parts ? 12k for these parts doesn't sound right.
I took the parts from retail shop, and not directly from the dealer mentioned on the Ford website. He gave me the parts at the MRP printed on the pack. MRP for Calliper pin set was scratched off, rest was as per the rate mentioned. And, he gave me a kuccha bill, not a proper invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Hissing noise is from the expansion valve and it is perfectly normal for it it to hiss whenever the compressor kicks-in. If you hear a continuous hissing sound then the system is low on refrigerant.

Low Refrigerant can be due to leak or normal usage.
For the time being- get the refrigerant topped-up. If the AC stops working within 15-30 days then you have a leak somewhere(most probably the evaporator coil) which needs to be fixed.

So don't go to the FASS right away, find a good car AC repair shop and top-up the refrigerant. Pay no more than 500-750rs for the top-up.

Feel free to PM me for more details.
Thanks
Although, the AC has been a chiller again since yesterday - but will give it a try with refilling the refrigerant at a local mechanic. I hope it wont be too big a task to refill it. Also, I hope running the AC in the current state will not do more harm to the AC.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20170529_223738488.jpg  

Old 5th June 2017, 10:37   #10533
Distinguished - BHPian

Have some body work for the figo that needs to be claimed under cashless insurance with ford. Where do i go? Metro ford has its set up in heseraghatta.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:09   #10534
BHPian

Hi All,

My car completed 80,000 and was serviced at Ignite, Chennai. Raghav was courteous enough to call me and keep me updated on the work. The bill amounted to INR 59,978. Below is the list of parts replaced. I replaced the timing belt since the car was nearing the 5th anniversary.

Engine Oil- 2293
Oil Filter- 447
Air Filter-515
Coolant-733
Timing Belt kit- 9865
Waterpump assembly-4059
Fan Belt-1122
Ac Gas and Compressor Oil-2061
Cooling Coil Assembly-4414
AC Pollen Filter-704
Main Pulley Dampner-6853
Fan Belt tensioner-3956
Fan Motor Blower assembly-5559
Transmission Transverse Bed-4185
Power Steering Idler-3567
Brake Fluid-218
Consumables-458

Labor:

General Service-1600
Dashboard Removal and fitment for Blower replacement- 3000
Timing Belt replacement- 2000
Belts and Idler-1200

Tax- 1170

The car drives much better. I installed a RD box a couple of months ago along with the service has made the car as good as new. The blower,unfortunately, has a manufacturing defect. It works for some time and then it dies. It would be replaced this week.

Am I satisfied with the service? - Of course yes!

Last edited by Maxwell Arthur : 5th June 2017 at 12:24.
Maxwell Arthur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 19:40   #10535

Hi All,

Any suggestions please, my Figo old model needs a mud flap as nearing monsoons are definitely going to splash some mud on the doors and under body.
Searching for rubber ones as the speed breakers in my area are made to break the flaps and hit the chassis no matter how slow and what angle you drive. . Do Speedwav provide one and are they good ones?
Or does anyone think that it won’t be required if I am okay with door getting dirty, would be happy if there aren’t any major consequences.
Old 8th June 2017, 15:33   #10536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur View Post
Hi All,

My car completed 80,000 and was serviced at Ignite, Chennai. Raghav was courteous enough to call me and keep me updated on the work. The bill amounted to INR 59,978. Below is the list of parts replaced. I replaced the timing belt since the car was nearing the 5th anniversary.

Engine Oil- 2293
Oil Filter- 447
Air Filter-515
Coolant-733
Timing Belt kit- 9865
Waterpump assembly-4059
Fan Belt-1122
Ac Gas and Compressor Oil-2061
Cooling Coil Assembly-4414
AC Pollen Filter-704
Main Pulley Dampner-6853
Fan Belt tensioner-3956
Fan Motor Blower assembly-5559
Transmission Transverse Bed-4185
Power Steering Idler-3567
Brake Fluid-218
Consumables-458

Labor:

General Service-1600
Dashboard Removal and fitment for Blower replacement- 3000
Timing Belt replacement- 2000
Belts and Idler-1200

Tax- 1170

............Am I satisfied with the service? - Of course yes!
Hello.
Im assuming you have serviced your car in a non ford service center.
Could you tell me what does the Timing Belt kit consist of?
Im supposed to replace my timing belt and related belts since my petrol figo is nearing 7 years and was quoted about 8.6k for the belts and pulleys.
i see you you have paid for the fan belt and tensioner separately .

Seems quite expensive for the timinig kit and fanbelt kit, labor excluding.

I would be speaking to my service assistant about this , maybe i was given a wrong quote last year.

Also seems to me that many of the normal consumables like oil filter,air and ac filters 3 or 4 times the price what ford charges.
Old 8th June 2017, 19:43   #10537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hello.
Im assuming you have serviced your car in a non ford service center.
Could you tell me what does the Timing Belt kit consist of?
Im supposed to replace my timing belt and related belts since my petrol figo is nearing 7 years and was quoted about 8.6k for the belts and pulleys.
i see you you have paid for the fan belt and tensioner separately .

Seems quite expensive for the timinig kit and fanbelt kit, labor excluding.

I would be speaking to my service assistant about this , maybe i was given a wrong quote last year.

Also seems to me that many of the normal consumables like oil filter,air and ac filters 3 or 4 times the price what ford charges.
Yes it was at a reputed private garage.

I should have mentioned, mine is a TDCI. There would definitely be a difference in the amounts in parts between a petrol and a diesel engine.
Old 16th June 2017, 21:00   #10538
BHPian

So my 2011 Figo TDCi decided to give up on me on the highway this week. I was on my way to a very urgent family event near Mysore early on Wednesday morning. I began experiencing intermittent jerking of the engine on the highway. I'd experienced this a few times earlier but never with this fierceness. About half way to Mysore, the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) came on and the vehicle lost most of its power. It was not accelerating beyond a certain RPM (maybe 2000, not sure since I don't have a tachometer on my Exi). Maximum speeds were limited to around 60-70 kmph.

And since it was around 6.30 AM, I could not find any mechanic garages that were open near Channapatna or Mandya. So I went ahead in limp mode till Mysore and found a garage that was just opening. I went in and asked him to check. He started the car and had a look around the engine compartment, just listened to the engine noise. Took a small test drive and concluded that the engine injectors are at fault. His opinion was that it could be due to bad fuel quality. He also cleaned the air filter quickly and the MIL disappeared briefly. Intermittent jerking was still present.

Now here was my dilemma at that time - take the car to Cauvery Ford, Mysore and get a thorough check or go ahead with the problem till my village (~45 kms), finish the family engagement and then come back after lunch time to Cauvery Ford. I decided to go ahead based on the mechanic's assurance that the car was driveable without any consequences to other sub systems although in limp mode the power delivery will be stunted. And given my situation, I felt that was the option with least inconvenience to me and my passengers. It was a laborious drive on the highway to and fro my village.

I reached Cauvery Ford finally at 3PM and the SA immediately pointed to the injector's fault. The technician also connected his laptop to the OBD and showed me the relevant readings from the injectors where the readings on the injectors were above 1, whereas it is supposed to be between 0.9 - 1. Same diagnosis - That the injectors are spoilt, presumably due to poor fuel quality. They also outlined the options that I have -
  1. Re-calibrate the injectors - at 12K - 13K per injector - total cost 50K-60K
  2. Replace the injectors - at ~20K per injector total cost 90K
Time required in the workshop was quoted around 20 days since the injectors have to be sent to Chennai / Pune.

I appreciate Cauvery Ford for being forthright with the options that faced me. I was once again faced with a choice: Leave the car at Mysore for close to a month (the SA agreed that it might take a month given the courier delays) or take it back to Bangalore to get the work done at Metro / Cauvery Ford here.

Given the trouble involved in leaving the car in Mysore for a month, and the lack of any warnings from the SA when he came to know that I plan to drive back to Bangalore, I once again decided to drive back to Bangalore in limp mode! The SA also gave me the report findings in writing (VRC - Vehicle Report Card) mentioning the error codes and the injectors which have an issue.

It was a painful drive and took me the better part of 5 hours to drive those 120 odd kms. I had my dad's car for company on the highway and with a couple of stops in between, I reached home around 11.30 PM on Wednesday. I have to go to the Cauvery Ford ASC here tomorrow morning and get an estimate and decide the future course of action.

Would appreciate any pointers on what I should do and what I should expect:
  1. I'm seriously disappointed with Ford injector quality issues. A quick search on the forum reveals at least 4-5 cars which have had similar issues. My car being 6 years old @ 54000 kms is out of warranty while the others have had it replaced under warranty !
  2. Where to get the work done - Cauvery Ford / Metro Ford / FNG ?
  3. If the injectors are re-calibrated at Ford ASC or anywhere, there is always a chance that the problem will recur. Same case even if they are replaced
How am I so confident that the injectors need to be worked upon? Read on...
Exactly 12 days before the current fiasco, on June 3rd while on my way back from the same village, just before Mysore the Malfunction Indicator Light came on accompanied by jerks similar to an engine dying due to lack of fuel. I immediately parked on the side and called Cauvery Ford, Mysore and explained the situation. They replied that it should be possible to drive till their ASC. After starting the car again, the MIL had disappeared and I was able to drive till the ASC without further problems. There they checked the vehicle and informed that the injectors are getting weak (same readings as above were shown on the technician's laptop) and recommended the two options outlined above. Also since the MIL had disappeared, they told that it should be fine to drive for a few thousand kms until the jerking / MIL appeared again. I came back to Bangalore without any issue and the next day, I went to my FNG. He dismissed the injector issue telling that is the last option and Diesel Filter should be checked first for any blockage issues. He also gave me confidence that nothing else is wrong on my car since the MIL had just appeared for a few seconds and I'd driven on the highway for ~150 kms after that without any issues.

So, after 10 days I went on the highway again only to be hit hard this time during a tight situation.

Last edited by Sangre : 16th June 2017 at 21:09. Reason: Adding an important detail in the beginning.
Old 17th June 2017, 16:37   #10539
BHPian

I'd been to Cauvery Ford, Magadi Road in the morning. Boy, what a crowded place!
Since I didn't have an appointment, I was waiting for almost 3 hrs for an SA to take the job card. But they did take the car in. There was the MIL which was pretty self explanatory about the criticality of the issue.
The service head told me that re-calibration of injectors can be done but it's a shot in the dark and pointed me to another car which had returned after re-calibration with the same issue. Replacement is the way to go forward according to them. I also felt the same way. And that's how my Figo ended up at Cauvery Ford ASC for injector replacement.

Now the cost per injector comes to ~20K (including the injector and the hose). And the SA told me that three of them need to be replaced. I asked him if the fuel tank needs cleaning given that fuel contamination over a long time is the suspected culprit. He insisted that is not required.

The expected timeline is 3 days.
Old 17th June 2017, 17:24   #10540
BHPian

Boy, that's some expensive maintenance cost for a 6 yr old car. Assuming, the general suspension, A/C, clutch will be due very soon if they are not already?

What precautions need to be taken to avoid such issues in my 6yr/1 lakh driven Figo TDCi?
dhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 13:30   #10541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
I'd been to Cauvery Ford, Magadi Road in the morning. Boy, what a crowded place!
Since I didn't have an appointment, I was waiting for almost 3 hrs for an SA to take the job card. But they did take the car in. There was the MIL which was pretty self explanatory about the criticality of the issue.
The service head told me that re-calibration of injectors can be done but it's a shot in the dark and pointed me to another car which had returned after re-calibration with the same issue. Replacement is the way to go forward according to them. I also felt the same way. And that's how my Figo ended up at Cauvery Ford ASC for injector replacement.

Now the cost per injector comes to ~20K (including the injector and the hose). And the SA told me that three of them need to be replaced. I asked him if the fuel tank needs cleaning given that fuel contamination over a long time is the suspected culprit. He insisted that is not required.

The expected timeline is 3 days.
I do not own the Diesel Figo but is it possible to get the injectors cleaned/ repaired by bosh Service center?
I had seen some issues regarding Injector failure with pre 2013 Figo models online. Apparently the older models used a different brand and the newer ones are Bosh.

Try and get a different opinion at a reputed outlet.
It's now a proven fact that the older figos have reliability issues with AC components and injectors etc but the 1.5 tdci Ecosports of similar mileage do not have such widespread injector issues. I guess Ford should recall older figos if the issues are so widespread.

Hope your problems are solved quickly.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 18th June 2017 at 13:33.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 10:23   #10542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
Boy, that's some expensive maintenance cost for a 6 yr old car. Assuming, the general suspension, A/C, clutch will be due very soon if they are not already?

What precautions need to be taken to avoid such issues in my 6yr/1 lakh driven Figo TDCi?
Well, they are sticking to their guns that it's due to the fuel quality issues. Search online and you will see that one of the indicators of an impending injector failure is increased engine noise. If you're seeing that, ask your SA to get the readings with an OBD scanner. And since you've already run 1 lakh, I would feel your car should be spared. All the issues that I've read online are for cars that've run 50K or lesser.

Quote:
I do not own the Diesel Figo but is it possible to get the injectors cleaned/ repaired by bosh Service center?
I had seen some issues regarding Injector failure with pre 2013 Figo models online. Apparently the older models used a different brand and the newer ones are Bosh.
I did think about getting the injectors repaired. But with replacement I'm getting 6 months warranty if the problem recurs. The SA showed me another car which had come back with the same problem after getting it recalibrated for close to Rs. 45K.

Apparently the injectors that are replaced are manufactured by FoMoCo using Bosch technology. Don't know if that is what you meant.

Quote:
Try and get a different opinion at a reputed outlet.
It's now a proven fact that the older figos have reliability issues with AC components and injectors etc but the 1.5 tdci Ecosports of similar mileage do not have such widespread injector issues. I guess Ford should recall older figos if the issues are so widespread.

Hope your problems are solved quickly.
Thanks. I will be getting the car back today evening or tomorrow. The approx. estimate is around Rs. 70K. Also the vehicle was due for the 60K service this month. So I'm getting that also done. I changed from Metro Ford to Cauvery Ford for this since I feel this issue could have been detected earlier. Last service I'd complained about increased engine noise and a proper investigation could have at-least detected the issue and saved me the anguish on the highway.

You're right about the older Figos having widespread injector issues. On another forum, I could see at-least 3-4 cars with same issues. Don't know why Ford is keeping quiet in-spite of these repeated occurrences. Maybe they don't have enough people taking up the legal route to get all the affected cars together and asking for a proper explanation. Just saying Fuel quality does not cut it. There are thousands of diesel cars out there filling from the same pumps regularly and only Ford Figos getting affected is quite incredible. And like I mentioned, my filling is 70-80% of the time from Shell, Old Madras Road. Even otherwise I look for reputed / CoCo fuel stations on the highways.

BTW, I spoke to my Metro Ford SA on Saturday and he told that St. Marks road service station is about to shutdown! He told me to either go to Lingarajpuram or Yeshwantpur since they've stopped doing major work at St. Marks Road apart from regular service
Old 20th June 2017, 12:17   #10543

Mod note: Post edited, please avoid Quoting entire large post for replies. Affects readability. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
So my 2011 Figo TDCi decided to give up on me on the highway this week.
=========
So, after 10 days I went on the highway again only to be hit hard this time during a tight situation.

Hi, I faced the same problem last year. FASS indicated that 3 injectors have to be replaced..I had trusted my local mechanic and after a week of analysis, he found that Diesel Pump was not working properly and fixed that. Total cost was around 11K (i guess).
After that this problem did not crop up.

- Ananth

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th June 2017 at 12:25. Reason: Post edited, please avoid Quoting entire large post for replies. Affects readability. Thanks.
pananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 01:40   #10544
BHPian

All,
With a very heavy heart, sold my 4.5yr old Figo Diesel. But very happy at the same time as I got a pretty good offer for a very new 11month old City iVtec SV run just 5500kms.

As my office commute has now come down to 30kms from 80kms to & fro, and as it falls right in the highest traffic area, I have been using bike for daily commute and the figo was used only for weekends and out of town trips. In the last couple of years, the figo barely clocked 10-12k kms. And with us getting a Nano AMT for wifey last Nov, the figo usage came down even more. No car can beat the convenience of Nano AMT in traffic.
But the Figo was still serving us fantastically well with very low maintenance costs. Never thought of replacing it for a few years.

But had to learn a life lesson recently when the whole family of one my colleague died in a road accident in a Swift Dzire(previous gen) and the variant did not have ABS or airbags. So the thought of replacing my figo which dint have the safety features was at the back of my mind. And the figo is now used only for our out station trips.
At the same time a close friend offered a good price for my Figo(his usage is primarily within city) and an offer from one of my friend's colleagues for a relatively new City.
So all things came together and we gave the Figo and got the City.

I have the Race Chip for the Figo bought directly from Germany around 4 yrs ago. Willing to sell it if someone comes with a decent quote. It cost me 229 euros.

Last edited by swami.n : 22nd June 2017 at 01:42.
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:48   #10545
BHPian

Anyone got a call from Ford dealer on this and have any additional details? As per the news, Ford will contact the affected owners directly.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ford-anno...ome-topstories

Extracts from the new...Ford India has issued a recall of over 39,315 units of its cars produced from 2004 to 2012. The models affected are the Ford Fiesta Classic and the first generation of the Figo hatchback. The cars in question were made at the Ford India manufacturing facility in Chennai between the years 2004 and 2012. The reason for the recall is the potential concern related to the high pressure power assisted steering (or PAS) hose

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks