Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 18:16   #10456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

The high mounted stop lamp on my Figo was not working and I visited the service center to replace the same.
I got the shock of my life when they said the bulb which is shown in picture,costs around Rs 600! It was not multiple bulbs like i thought but a single bulb which refracts off a glass piece which spreads the light.
They had a cheaper alternative however which was a smaller bulb which I fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_3247.jpg  

tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 01:07   #10457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The high mounted stop lamp on my Figo was not working and I visited the service center to replace the same.
I got the shock of my life when they said the bulb which is shown in picture,costs around Rs 600! It was not multiple bulbs like i thought but a single bulb which refracts off a glass piece which spreads the light.
I have had this bulb replaced in the past and costed around 150 bucks at A.S.S. 600 seems really ridiculous.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 07:37   #10458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I have had this bulb replaced in the past and costed around 150 bucks at A.S.S. 600 seems really ridiculous.
Yes, that is the same price I was charged for the smaller/dimmer bulb. The 600 one seems to be the one factory fitted bulb which is brighter.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:35   #10459
Senior - BHPian

Folks, recently I got my car servicing done at 42K km (5th yr). Previous was done at 35K (40K service 4th yr) about a year back. Since this is our 2nd car and my wife uses for commuting the mileage is not that high. Took the car to my trusted neighbor hood garage. One surprise thing that i saw was that when the air filter was opened it was a big bulge on one of the areas and had torn out. The mechanic said its probably since the filter got clogged and the vacuum pressure from engine side resulted in tearing it. I was quite surprised but reinforces the fact that air filter should be cleaned every 6 months. Dusty conditions on our roads make it mandatory.

Quote:
Yes, that is the same price I was charged for the smaller/dimmer bulb. The 600 one seems to be the one factory fitted bulb which is brighter.
I guess little less brighter bulb is ok given the cost difference

Last edited by supertinu : 9th February 2017 at 10:40.
Old 10th February 2017, 07:34   #10460

I recently went to get my Figo's(diesel) 80k service. There was a minor rattling sound in from the front side on uneven roads. After the test drive, they slammed me with an estimate of around 50k.

The parts to be replaced were as follows:

shocker 2pc. - 4000
link rod 2pc. - 2000
ball joint - 4000
tyrod end - 4400
clutch kit - 6000
gear oil - 4500
axle rh - 10000
brake pad - 1800
Total - 36700

and + 80k service + vat + labour.

Can someone please help with this situation? is this cost justified?

I do not see any problem while driving.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th February 2017, 09:20   #10461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhn89 View Post
There was a minor rattling sound in from the front side on uneven roads. After the test drive, they slammed me with an estimate of around 50k.

They are trying to rip you off, that's my take. The only item in that list that might be requiring a change are the brake pads, as that's a wear and tear.

All the other items need to be changed only if you've noticed a problem, or complained about an issue (e.g. clutch slipping, juddering), or if they observed something which they have to explain/justify to you (e.g. car pulling to a side, oil leak from the shocks, etc.).

Otherwise, there's no need to replace parts of the front suspension and the various linkages (socks, link rod, ball joint, tie rod); or replace the clutch (the gearbox oil does not need changing unless it is opened up).

The minor rattling you've complained about is something that should be clearly attributed to one of these, but both are quite unrelated so there's no reason a minor rattle will be caused by both the suspension components and the clutch.

You must ask them to raise your car, and explain to you why they need to change all these items. Alternatively, get your car looked at through an FNG, given it is most likely out of warranty. It is possible that its just something loose (which can be tightened), or a worn bushing (which can be replaced cheaply).

Last edited by arunphilip : 10th February 2017 at 09:27.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 09:34   #10462
BHPian

Quote:

The parts to be replaced were as follows:

shocker 2pc. - 4000
link rod 2pc. - 2000
ball joint - 4000
tyrod end - 4400
clutch kit - 6000
gear oil - 4500
axle rh - 10000
brake pad - 1800
Total - 36700

and + 80k service + vat + labour.

Thanks in advance!
Rattling sound from the front side while driving on uneven roads, can be due to wear of any of the suspension components. It is very important to find out the root cause. For instance my 2014 Figo, which has completed 43,000 Kms, rattles baldy on uneven roads. The cause is attributed to worn out suspension link rods, which I am going to replace during my next service.

Replacement of all the above parts as suggested by the service center, is not at all justifiable in my opinion, especially since the root cause is not found. It is highly recommended that you visit another service or a friendly neighborhood garage to get a second opinion.

Happy and safe driving !
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 11:29   #10463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got the shock of my life when they said the bulb which is shown in picture,costs around Rs 600!
W16W is bit costlier (than the regular 5W5), but 600 is on the higher side. Fact is A.S.S charge a little premium than the market price.
eBay retails the same for almost half the price quoted by Ford.A.S.S
http://www.ebay.in/itm/2x-Genuine-Ph...-/171154746411

Quote:
I hope that should be 5W5 (or 6W6) If you are not satisfied with the performance, switch to 16W16 (from eBay or local spares dealer)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 19:54   #10464
BHPian

So I tried fixing a dashcam to the figo using the cigarette lighter slot. However after plugging it in, I realised that the power to that slot is always on, as opposed to going off with ignition. Is there a way around this, or do i just have to get another lighter slot installed in the car?
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th February 2017, 20:00   #10465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
So I tried fixing a dashcam to the figo using the cigarette lighter slot. However after plugging it in, I realised that the power to that slot is always on, as opposed to going off with ignition. Is there a way around this, or do i just have to get another lighter slot installed in the car?
Thanks in advance.
3 options
1) Go for hard wiring (safe and best bet, without changing any of the OE wiring)
2) Re-wire the cigar lighter socket with ACC line (instead of direct battery line)
3) Add another cigar lighter socket
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 12:56   #10466
BHPian

Hey Guys, needed some advise - My Figo (D) has some noise originating from the AC/Fan - its very low but persistent. The car is in its 4th year and has had regular service. In fact, the sound is after the service itself.

Any guesses or thoughts?
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:33   #10467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently went to get my Figo's(diesel) 80k service. There was a minor rattling sound in from the front side on uneven roads. After the test drive, they slammed me with an estimate of around 50k.
This is hilarious but that is how ASS guys deal with cars that are out of warranty and high mileage. I stop going to ASS the moment car is out of warranty. You need to find a good neighborhood mechanic who can source genuine parts. Ford does sell parts. Link rods usually go bad first in FIgo and I have replaced mine in the past. Shockers you can replace if they are leaking and not damping enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Hey Guys, needed some advise - My Figo (D) has some noise originating from the AC/Fan - its very low but persistent. The car is in its 4th year and has had regular service. In fact, the sound is after the service itself.

Any guesses or thoughts?
Can you be more specific on "some" noise. Very difficult to tell from your description. Regular service means they would have cleaned the AC filter or replaced it. Thats the only part that would have gotten touched.
Old 27th February 2017, 01:25   #10468
BHPian

Hi guys

Anyone ever experienced trouble while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear in your Diesel Figo ? I started hitting this from yesterday. It would not let me downshift from 3 to 2 unless the revs have come totally down. 4 to 2 or 5 to 2 also impossible. If I brake and bring the car close to a halt then it shifts. Also no issues with upshifting from 1 to 2. Gear bush has not been replaced yet. But I believe this is not related to the bush as the symptoms are different.

Reading from a Maruti thread in tbhp, understood that this could be an issue with the synchro ring. Yet to visit a FASS.

My car is now at 123k kms and in its 6th year. Clutch is still stock. Been seeing slight shuddering while reversing up in a slope. Otherwise clutch still feels like it has some more life left. Even FASS said so during last service.

I am one happy Figo D owner so far. She has not troubled me much all these years. Only one instance of the auxiliary drive belt giving up at 108k kms which was due for replacement along with timing belt and some pulleys at 120k as per FASS. Had AC evaporator coil replaced at 100k kms. Otherwise only regular service and couple of link rod replacements. I plan to keep her with me as long as I can. I love her dynamics.

Would be nice to know if anyone had this gear issue before and how big the damage would be to the wallet.

Last edited by hardoop : 27th February 2017 at 01:31. Reason: Love her so much
hardoop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 16:03   #10469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
You have to check oil levels every month and add if found low or near half way point.If there is too much oil loss , it could be the rings , turbo seals or a leak. You have to get it diagnosed. Do not use a thicker oil as it can do more damage in the long run.If I were you I will refill with 5W30 magnatec oil semi syn. and see how much running reduces how much oil. this will give a fair idea of the damage.
Thanks
FASS advised not to open up the engine to check for the causes as it might incur big expenses. They advised to top up the oil every 5000 kms. I topped up with 5W30 magnatec semi synth as you suggested.
hardoop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 16:06   #10470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Need advice guys. My Figo is currently at 45k kms. Off late, the AC after running for about an hour or so, tends to not blow out air at all. I hear the fan running, but very little air comes out. If AC is switched off for about 15-20mins and switched back on, it continues to cool as usual very effectively, but again same issue happens after an hour. Anybody experienced a similar problem?
My local mechanic friend said the thermostat might have gone which would lead to ice formation and no way for air to come out of blower. But he doesn't work on ACs. Checking in to Ford A.S.S gave me a quote of around 6.5k if its the thermostat. 1.5k for Thermostat and 5k for labor as the entire dashboard has to be removed. But they said only after removing the entire dashboard, they can confirm which part is to be changed.
Does this seem a fair quote?

I had this issue in an year or so after buying my car. The thermostat was replaced under warranty. I agree they charge too much for remove and refit jobs like this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks