Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 10:12   #9556
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

As others mentioned, there are many more important (and quite basic/inexpensive) areas which were required to be addressed in Figo like the rear power windows, instantaneous fuel consumption and a sump-guard! I am not sure what 'platform' stops Ford from installing power windows in rear doors!

The blue interior color looks ok as a refreshing change. However, the contrast of blue center console with the orange back-light looks hideous. At least, the back-lighting should've been changed to light blue to match the blue center console.

Looks like Ford is done with any new ideas on improving Figo. *Sigh*
Old 17th September 2014, 10:22   #9557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The New Figo also has Average Indicator. I wonder if this is just an ECU update and can be retrofitted in older Figos as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
I have inquired about this during my last service (Aug-2014) and was told that would involve hardware changes (a wire from ECU to dashboard ?), and hence could not be retrofitted in old Figos.

Either the Service Executive is true or he was 'BS'ing :-) :-). So Amigos if any of you could get this done in your Old Figos, enlighten us.
Ya, I response I got from the service centre was that it requires a console change !

It is definitely only a software thing and can be done, but service centres will be least interested in doing it.
Old 17th September 2014, 13:16   #9558
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
I am not sure what 'platform' stops Ford from installing power windows in rear doors!
I think this has been discussed at length somewhere in the early days of this thread. If you look at the rear doors, they have very little 'breadth' ie very little space between the window line and the curved section for the wheel arch. This is because of the low roof height + low shoulder line. Now, this restricts how much the window glass can 'fit' in the door panel when the glass is lowered - hence the rear windows do not move down completely. Ford decided to do cost-cutting on this - "anyway the glass moves down only so much, so why waste a motor for it".
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 14:18   #9559
BHPian

Thanks Venky for elaborating. I had missed the related discussion on this thread.

Yes, if it is cost-cutting, then options like fitting a rear glass-vent (that triangular fixed glass at the back portion of rear window) to reduce the width of movable glass portion and then fitting a motor seems too much of a cost!! Cars like Santro and A-Star have those glass-vents since ages. May be the quarter glass located immediately beside the rear door would foul the looks if a glass-vent is provided in the window.

Anyway, I don't think Ford will ever provide it in Figo now when it didn't do that during the initial launch.
Old 17th September 2014, 18:23   #9560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Ya, I response I got from the service centre was that it requires a console change !

It is definitely only a software thing and can be done, but service centres will be least interested in doing it.
I had enquired abt the same at ford service center early this year when they added average fuel in the digital display. You need to change the meter console to get this feature. Because avg : is not shown in old figo's meter display in test mode. Also if you compare both models closely you can find that the LCD unit in both model are not the same .
Old 18th September 2014, 09:50   #9561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
I had enquired abt the same at ford service center early this year when they added average fuel in the digital display. You need to change the meter console to get this feature. Because avg : is not shown in old figo's meter display in test mode. Also if you compare both models closely you can find that the LCD unit in both model are not the same .
May be the new console may have some extra memory(to store the code + processing) and increased processing power to calculate the value.
Old 21st September 2014, 18:07   #9562
BHPian

Guys,

I have a quick question. I own a 2010 Figo TDCI. Is it alright to turn off the engine when waiting at traffic signal (during city commute) if the waiting time is more than 60 seconds? Will it harm the turbocharger?

Cheers
Kiran
Old 21st September 2014, 18:09   #9563
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Guys,

I have a quick question. I own a 2010 Figo TDCI. Is it alright to turn off the engine when waiting at traffic signal (during city commute) if the waiting time is more than 60 seconds? Will it harm the turbocharger?

Cheers
Kiran
You can switch it off unless the drive has been hard. If you drive smooth then switching off is good. After coming to a halt wait for 6-7 seconds then switch off.

Anurag.
Old 21st September 2014, 18:16   #9564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can switch it off unless the drive has been hard. If you drive smooth then switching off is good. After coming to a halt wait for 6-7 seconds then switch off.

Anurag.

Thanks Anurag. I drive smooth inside city, and drive between 2000-2500RPM range only.
Old 21st September 2014, 18:51   #9565
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Thanks Anurag. I drive smooth inside city, and drive between 2000-2500RPM range only.
Then there is no issue at all. You can switch off the engine if the timer is near around 60 seconds.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:17   #9566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Anurag.
Is not there a 45-60 second idling rule for all turbo charged engines for longevity of their turbo life ?
IMHO turbo will boil even if one drives "smooth". In fact, turbo starts to charge as soon as one starts the engine, it's kick-in at a certain rpm is a different thing altogether. Since the idling rule is basically to keep the turbo safe from overheating, turning off the engine after 6-7 seconds might turn out to be a risky affair. Personally I would prefer to play safe and not turn off my engine in such situations.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:30   #9567
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here bought replacement alloy wheel bolts from the service centre ? I recently had 2 bolts ruined by an alignment shop and each bolt is priced at Rs.390 !!! Another bhpian said he was charged Rs.213 for the Ecosport bolts which seem to be the same. Wonder why this difference.

Details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3531082

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 22nd September 2014 at 11:32.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:41   #9568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
Is not there a 45-60 second idling rule for all turbo charged engines for longevity of their turbo life ?
IMHO turbo will boil even if one drives "smooth". In fact, turbo starts to charge as soon as one starts the engine, it's kick-in at a certain rpm is a different thing altogether. Since the idling rule is basically to keep the turbo safe from overheating, turning off the engine after 6-7 seconds might turn out to be a risky affair. Personally I would prefer to play safe and not turn off my engine in such situations.
Unless one is driving at high rpms on open roads in a city (whenever one gets a rare opportunity), the idling rule need not be followed. For instance, I drive mostly between 1200 to 2000 rpm in city (rarely go upto 2500 while changing gears), owing to traffic and road width. In such cases, one need not follow the idling rule.

But on highway drives, where most of the action is between 2000 to 3500 rpm, I diligently follow this, even if there is a long, non-moving queue at a toll booth, or any other place.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:18   #9569
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
Idling for 45-60 seconds is too much. Your wasting previous fuel idling that long. Counting 10 seconds is enough 'IF' the drive wasn't too hard.

I know that the turbo spins all the time but gets the max boost at a certain RPM. This is the point where the cooling off is needed else the damage to the turbo would be high.

That is the reason I did tell that - "if the drive wasn't hard, the switching off the engine after 10 seconds is OK". I never asked him to switch off instantly.

Same applies for startup from cold start, idling for 10 seconds and then driving sedately till the engine temperature is at optimum, once attained you can gun the engine.

EDIT: Just noticed vnabhi's post. Thanks.

Anurag.
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:07   #9570
Mik
BHPian

Some lowlifes have badly scratched my car in the parking lot. The scratches are over a foot in length and paint has chipped off at some places. Total 2 gashes and some scratches on the doors.
My question -> Which option to go for.

A. Go to the FASS. I believe they will repaint the whole part instead of doing touchups (Is that so?). Which means repaint on 2 doors and the boot. Doesn't sound financially viable.

B. Go to FNG and get some touchups done. My concern is with the quality of paint. Would these guys have the exact colorado red shade with them. I asked around and they said, 'red is red only'. Even if its a different shade of red at a few places, would it look the same some polishing ?

Apologies for the noob questions. Never had a scratched car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks