Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 18:40   #9496
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
The question is will the engine oil level reduce so drastically within 7000kms from oil change? Has anyother person experienced the same? Is it normal or is there any problem with the car?
Not at all normal buddy.

1) How is the engine preforming?

2) Do you find any bluish-white smoke while driving?

3) Is this the first time this is happening?

4) Any leakage on the floor when car parked?

5) Any leakage found in the engine bay and on the engine itself?

I have my doubts on the piston rings - if you experience the bluish-white smoke.

Anurag.
Old 25th August 2014, 18:55   #9497
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
Hi KING DYSP. I have been driving a Figo TDCi Titanium for the past 4.5 years.......

Only major issues till date, after 50,000 kms of usage:
1. Steering fluid Pump leak. New pump cost about Rs. 8000.
2. Coolant hose pipe leak. Also cost around Rs. 8000.

Both the parts were ready in stock. Ford usually prescribes 'replace' rather than 'repair'.

Hope this helps! Regards.
Severus,
Any idea how these leakages happened? Failure at just 50K kms sounds like an unreliable part to me.
Any one else has experienced such leaks in Figo?

Here is an observation by me.

When i turn my steering completely to rightmost position, I hear slight hissing noise around steering area. Any one else has experienced same?
Old 25th August 2014, 19:45   #9498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I am of the opinion that no Guru can do anything about this engine.

Just use the ford spec 5W30 oil from Ford ASC and any extreme deviations from this grade and engine don't like it.
Hi
Can you please explain further? I have Figo TDCi which has clocked 30000 kms on odo. I replaced Ford spec engine oil around 24000 kms with Shell Helix 10w40. Figo really liked this oil and went smoother, silent and overall engine refinement went up.

I definitely feel synthetic is better any given day than minerals or semi synthetics.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 22:23   #9499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

When i turn my steering completely to rightmost position, I hear slight hissing noise around steering area. Any one else has experienced same?
This is absolutely normal in any car with a hydrolic power steering. When you turn steering towards full lock, the steering pump gets burdened and starts making sound, it is advised not to hold steering tightly at the lock position.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 11:13   #9500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Failure at just 50K kms sounds like an unreliable part to me. Any one else has experienced such leaks in Figo?
recshenoy, I'm having a March 2011 Figo TDCi and I have experienced all of the above failures. The issues I've faced or still facing with the Figo are the following.
  1. At around 4K kms, the coolant pipe along with the thermostat assembly broke off, draining the coolant reservoir dry. The parts were replaced under warranty. Luckily, it happened on a short trip and I have the service centre within a distance of 4kms from my home.
  2. During the 30K service, the power steering pump & the hoses, the rear wheel bearings and the alternator were replaced as a preventive measure, under warranty. So, yes, I think that the part quality is bad. Saved me a lot of money (~20K) as the replacements were covered under extended warranty.
  3. Engine stalling is still very much present in my car. Happens once or twice per quarter. FASS not able to rectify this, don't know why.
  4. Another one is the infamous AC cut-off issue. Happens when I go for longer drives (when the AC is continuously working for an hour or more). The issue may be due to condensation as lot of people have mentioned, but again, FASS doesn't have a clue on how to rectify this issue. Solution, I no longer take the Figo on long drives. Bought an XUV for that
I take good care of my cars and the part failures in the Figo has left me perplexed. I don't know about the newer models, but certainly there has been a number of poor quality controlled items which made it to the older Figos. I hope that the replacements stop with this for my car.

Last edited by A350XWB : 26th August 2014 at 11:16.
Old 27th August 2014, 08:42   #9501
BHPian

UPDATE: I had taken my car to FASS yesterday morning to get this oil thing checked. Lifted the car up on the ramp and checked under. It seems the oil leak is near the Engine oil pump. To investigate further they have to dismantle and check. I will leave the car on Saturday for this investigation.

As a stop gap arrangement, I got the engine oil and oil filter changed yesterday.

Will update.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:09   #9502
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, was going through water logged streets in idle mode. Idle mode = no ABC pedal movement. At one place, the car struggled for a bit, I pressed the A pedal, came out with a bit of smoke from underneath the car, my guess was either the front disc plate or silencer/engine component.

After some 3-4 mins, the lower part of the cabin (where lower vents are located, along the lower part of the dashboard) began emitting hot air, while AC was cooling effectively. Switched off the AC. Switched it on again after a minute, same thing happened, home was nearby, so came back home & the car is switched off since.

Something to worry or water entered somewhere which will eventually dry out?
Old 27th August 2014, 09:10   #9503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Hi
Can you please explain further? I have Figo TDCi which has clocked 30000 kms on odo. I replaced Ford spec engine oil around 24000 kms with Shell Helix 10w40. Figo really liked this oil and went smoother, silent and overall engine refinement went up.

I definitely feel synthetic is better any given day than minerals or semi synthetics.

I presume you used Shell Helix HX7 semi-synthetic.

The theory is that in a cold start, only a 5W oil(=thin oil) can reach the top end of the engine quickly and most engine wear happens during the cold starts. Of course, this applies to all engines but these tdci engines seem to be more sensitive.

In practice, even some ford ASC in India seems to use 10W30 for the diesel; so it is all a bit dicey.

The semi-synthetic available at Ford is not pricey- about 1200 for 3.8 litre; so instead of shelling 3k for a 5w40 fully synthetic, you can do a half yearly change at Ford itself after a 5k mileage.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:21   #9504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I presume you used Shell Helix HX7 semi-synthetic.

The theory is that in a cold start, only a 5W oil(=thin oil) can reach the top end of the engine quickly and most engine wear happens during the cold starts. Of course, this applies to all engines but these tdci engines seem to be more sensitive.

In practice, even some ford ASC in India seems to use 10W30 for the diesel; so it is all a bit dicey.

The semi-synthetic available at Ford is not pricey- about 1200 for 3.8 litre; so instead of shelling 3k for a 5w40 fully synthetic, you can do a half yearly change at Ford itself after a 5k mileage.
No I was referring to Shell helix fully synthetic. Yea they are shit costly. A 4L bottle costed me Rs 5000
Yea your logic of replacing Ford spec oil half yearly makes sense but I am in love with the refinement fully synthetic offers.

Will it harm the engine if I use 10W instead of 5W? I guess exact grade 5W30 is not available in Shell. Hence I went for 10W40
Old 27th August 2014, 12:15   #9505
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yesterday, was going through water logged streets in idle mode. Idle mode = no ABC pedal movement. At one place, the car struggled for a bit, I pressed the A pedal, came out with a bit of smoke from underneath the car, my guess was either the front disc plate or silencer/engine component.
Once you enter water logged area, never pass through in idle mode (Idle mode = no ABC pedal movement). Always go with accelerator pressed so that the exhaust coming out from the silencer is at a greater pressure than the water pressure outside.

The smoke that you noticed could be from the silencer coming in contact with the water.

I don't think there is anything to worry.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 20:35   #9506
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: I had taken my car to FASS yesterday morning to get this oil thing checked. Lifted the car up on the ramp and checked under. It seems the oil leak is near the Engine oil pump. To investigate further they have to dismantle and check. I will leave the car on Saturday for this investigation.

As a stop gap arrangement, I got the engine oil and oil filter changed yesterday.

Will update.

UPDATE: Checked the issue. Its due to air cracks in Engine oil pump. Hence the whole pump had to be replaced along with sealant and timing belt. Total cost came upto Rs 21000. Feeling terrible due to the quality of parts in Figo which can wear-out in 42000kms.
Old 1st September 2014, 21:12   #9507
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: Checked the issue. Its due to air cracks in Engine oil pump. Hence the whole pump had to be replaced along with sealant and timing belt. Total cost came upto Rs 21000. Feeling terrible due to the quality of parts in Figo which can wear-out in 42000kms.
Can you upload few pictures of the old oil pump and invoice ?
The timing belt need not be replaced while changing oil pump (unless it is contaminated by engine oil).

Are you sure it the pump was cracked and the oil was not leaking from elsewhere ? Oil can leak from the crankshaft oil seal too.

How is it possible that you did not notice the oil leak earlier ?

Ford ASC are daylight robbers.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:30   #9508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Can you upload few pictures of the old oil pump and invoice ?
The timing belt need not be replaced while changing oil pump (unless it is contaminated by engine oil).

Are you sure it the pump was cracked and the oil was not leaking from elsewhere ? Oil can leak from the crankshaft oil seal too.

How is it possible that you did not notice the oil leak earlier ?

Ford ASC are daylight robbers.
I have the damaged oil pump with me, I can post few pics of the pump and invoice. Timing belt was changed as once removed the tension of the belt changes and when put back it wont be as good as it was before.

I never noticed the oil leak as I didnt find any oil marks in my parking space. The oil leaked only when the engine was turned on and the car was in motion. I noticed that in the last 5 to 6 months the engine oil level in my car went from FULL to LOW. Thus I got the car checked last week. I have posted the same here, you can just check by scrolling back 1 or 2 pages.
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:42   #9509
BHPian

This is how you can get locked out of your car:

1) Open the boot.
2) Keeping the boot open, lock the car using the buttons on the key. The car will not get locked as the boot is open.
3) Put the key in the boot and close the boot. The car locks itself.

P.S: Please don't try this at home

This happened to me this morning. I cleaned my car, and closed the boot. I believe the boot did not close properly. When I pressed the lock button, it didn't lock the car. It was then I realized that the boot was not closed. I closed the boot and immediately the indicator blinked twice indicating that the car is locked. While it is nice that the car remembers that it was given instructions to get locked, there is a potential problem if one forgets the key back in the car.
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:50   #9510
BHPian

Recently did my 70,000kms service of Figo D T. Car is doing good, did a 1500 kms round trip and most of it was on Hyd highway.... so it was a blast of time behind the wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks