Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2014, 20:40   #9061
BHPian

Would any other WiFi dongle work or you have to buy from Ford only?
Old 17th February 2014, 12:06   #9062
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I do not agree fully with these views. Each one of you is thinking from the smartphone perspective only. I think you (or other car occupants) start using tablets with wi-fi only, you'd certainly see value in this feature. Yes, smartphones could also be used as hotspots but then you'd be draining two devices in parallel.
Point taken, but you could buy a car phone charger for less & charge the phone working as wifi hotspot, to ensure less battery drain. This is just my opinion, as 10K for a dongle (blue LEDs & seat covers too) is not that awe inspiring.

Quote:
I think you miss the point that most of these dongles have provision for micro sd card. So these could double up as pen drives. No need to do BT streaming
Missed that, but again you have buy an additional micro sd card (if you don't have a spare).

Also will the HU by able to play the songs from the micro sd card present in the dongle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Would any other WiFi dongle work or you have to buy from Ford only?
I think you may have to buy from Ford only. They would probable configure the dongle to work with the HU, the HU may not detect any other after market dongle.

Last edited by Venkat_Figo : 17th February 2014 at 12:18.
Old 17th February 2014, 17:36   #9063
BHPian

I did my 20K service a month ago and ever since was facing a few changes to the running characteristics:

The engine started stuttering at certain rpm ranges. I tried changing the pump for the next fill, to see if it is a fuel issue. While it did seem to subside, the engine noise started becoming louder and louder. Especialy at around 1500-1600 rpm, I could hear a resonating boom. On either side of this band, the noise was less, but still prominent than what I am used to hearing.

Finally took it to the service center this weekend and the SA acknowledged the unusual noise after a road test. It just took him a few minutes time to identify and fix the issue. To my horror, he mentioned that the pipe that carries the filtered air to the engine was loose and he fixed it.

The 20k service did involve a thermistor change (for the infamous a/c cutting off issue on highway runs) and the SA coyly acknowledged that while putting back things after the change, this duct might not have been fitted properly.

I'll try and post a picture of the duct that he mentioned was loose - just worried if this could have caused some kind of damage to the engine. Can some unfiltered air that could have been sucked in cause serious issues? Appreciate your inputs.
Old 17th February 2014, 18:01   #9064
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
Oil Sump Drain Nut hole threading damaged They just did some welding at the joint and created a new threading where a nut can be fastened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Welding it to create a thread & then fix the nut is definitely not a good idea IMHO. How good is the welding job is a big question. I don't think you should settle for anything less than a complete replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Technically, it is. However, please keep an eye on it, as over time, it could begin to leak. Observe the ground below the engine area, in the place where you park the car, for drops of oil. Check oil level diligently.

From A.S.S., this is not a good practice.

I don't think Ford will cover it under warranty, as it is not a manufacturing defect or premature wear/breakdown. I think it is just bad workmanship on the part of the mechanic to damage the threading (I speak from experience, having made that mistake myself). So, the Ford A.S.S. really should have accepted their mistake and replaced the sump.
Yes KiloAlpha is absolutely right.

I had a similar experience a year back. Gave my car for 20k service and got my wheels rotated at that time in the service center itself. After doing 30k kms, I tried to rotate all the wheels outside, but unfortunately one of the wheel nut in right rear wheel could not be removed. When analyzed it was tightened on a wrong thread by the automatic air gun during the wheel rotation which happened at the SC.

It took more than an hour to remove the wheel nut carefully after applying oil, kerosene and extreme care was taken to safe guard the wheel stud.

It would have been a disaster if the right rear tyre got punctured during a travel. The workmanship was not done properly. I went again to the SC and got the stud + nut replaced under warranty.

If there is no crack or any hit, then I feel the SC should have replaced the sump free of cost as the mistake was by the technician.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:37   #9065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not agree fully with these views. Each one of you is thinking from the smartphone perspective only.
I was not thinking on any perspective of any device. I don't see how adding a Wi Fi hot spot to the feature list will increase the interest in the car. Besides; if the feature is going to rob the sole USB port to power the device, you are in trouble with your personal music collection. I don't see too many folks giving up on their music for some internet activity using a Wi Fi hot spot. Like I said earlier, most individuals have high speed data connections on their phones or tablets. The Wi Fi has to work off the 3G network. I am fine doing that straight off my smart device instead of add another layer in between.

I see your point but how my folks out there carry a Wi Fi only device.
Old 18th February 2014, 09:26   #9066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
The 20k service did involve a thermistor change (for the infamous a/c cutting off issue on highway runs)
how much did this cost you in the bill?
Old 18th February 2014, 11:14   #9067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
The 20k service did involve a thermistor change (for the infamous a/c cutting off issue on highway runs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
how much did this cost you in the bill?
I'm also interested in knowing the result and if they charged you for the same. Mine is also one of those Figos which suffer from this cutoff syndrome. As summers have already started, I would like to know whether the change really solved the problem.
Old 18th February 2014, 11:25   #9068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
I am sure this Avg Fuel Economy feature is a software upgrade. How can we get in the earlier Figo's?
Bumping up the query posted earlier by Shantanu. Has anybody contacted Ford about if/how this can be incorporated in older Figo? Also wondering if this "Average" is tied to the trip-meter. Ford website simply describes it as "The Average Fuel Economy is calculated based on the distance travelled and fuel consumed." and not further details!
Old 18th February 2014, 11:42   #9069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I'm also interested in knowing the result and if they charged you for the same. Mine is also one of those Figos which suffer from this cutoff syndrome. As summers have already started, I would like to know whether the change really solved the problem.
My Figo had the same issue with the AC cutting off. Got the thermostat changed and it's fixed! No more issues! Although I still feel the AC cuts-off for 5-10 odd seconds on hot days - when stuck in traffic.
Old 18th February 2014, 12:15   #9070
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Just going to back on DIY on fixing extra bulbs in the tail lamp, one need to buy bulbs, wires and bulbholder. When I opened the tail lamp cluster there is no pin type provision to connect extra wires. One need to cut the existing line and join the wires and insulate.
DIY gurus -- correct if I am wrong

Last edited by RGK : 18th February 2014 at 12:22.
Old 18th February 2014, 12:45   #9071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Just going to back on DIY on fixing extra bulbs in the tail lamp, one need to buy bulbs, wires and bulbholder. When I opened the tail lamp cluster there is no pin type provision to connect extra wires. One need to cut the existing line and join the wires and insulate.
DIY gurus -- correct if I am wrong
You are right, if you want to install bulbs in the empty slots, you need to splice wires. Done that myself on my Figo as well.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 14:19   #9072
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
You are right, if you want to install bulbs in the empty slots, you need to splice wires. Done that myself on my Figo as well.
I am planning to have brake light (not parking) in the next slot and not sure where to connect as there are two contact points.

Is the bulb holder common for all cars or any spec to be mentioned at the shop

Can you post some photos. I am not able to locate here in this thread.
Old 18th February 2014, 16:28   #9073
BHPian

Quote:
Yes KiloAlpha is absolutely right.

I had a similar experience a year back. Gave my car for 20k service and got my wheels rotated at that time in the service center itself. After doing 30k kms, I tried to rotate all the wheels outside, but unfortunately one of the wheel nut in right rear wheel could not be removed. When analyzed it was tightened on a wrong thread by the automatic air gun during the wheel rotation which happened at the SC.

It took more than an hour to remove the wheel nut carefully after applying oil, kerosene and extreme care was taken to safe guard the wheel stud.

It would have been a disaster if the right rear tyre got punctured during a travel. The workmanship was not done properly. I went again to the SC and got the stud + nut replaced under warranty.

If there is no crack or any hit, then I feel the SC should have replaced the sump free of cost as the mistake was by the technician.
After a lengthy email to Ford, Harpreet Ford replaced the Oil sump/Oil Pan. Engine oil was also replaced, only one week after 50K service. The total bill was around 6,000/-.
- 1800 for the Oil Pan
- 2200/- for the sealant
- around 1000 for the Engine oil
- and some sundry charges.

And, the cost of all this was borne by Harpreet Ford. I am glad they acknowledged their mistake and did not charge me for the replacement. Strange how one email to the higher-ups can do wonders, and you can keep shouting and no one will even care to listen to you.
dhinchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 01:00   #9074
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to have brake light (not parking) in the next slot and not sure where to connect as there are two contact points.

Is the bulb holder common for all cars or any spec to be mentioned at the shop

Can you post some photos. I am not able to locate here in this thread.
I've installed extra bulbs in the empty slots on my Figo as well. Bulb holders are the standard ones, but need minor tweaking for them to fit right - pretty easy stuff. I recommend you use the extra bulbs like normal tail lights as they look fantastic! Check my Figo ownership thread for the pics of my Figo with this setup!
Old 19th February 2014, 09:53   #9075
BHPian

4th year extended Warranty

I got a call from my dealer from whom I bought the car, Bhagat Ford Chandigarh, regarding 4th year extended warranty. It would cost me 9600/- as per them. I asked them to list out what all parts are covered under the warranty and what all is not covered. I am quite certain that they will give a ambiguous answer to my question. It is only when some part is damaged, and you go to them for getting it replaced that you get to know that it is not covered under warranty.

If someone has a list or knows about what parts are covered and what are not, can they post it here to share with the larger audience. And, is it really worth spending 9600/- on the 4th year extended warranty?

Replies awaited!

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks