Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:27   #8311
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

I had fixed Ford OE door visors (rain guard) during the 60K service. The material was of average quality & i had given this feedback to SA. Yesterday i found that water was leaking between the visor & part of front RHS visor has unglued itself. Took the car to ASS & SA says its common issue with Figo door visors but replaced the leaking door visor FOC.

Also met a new Figo user KL07BW who has steering rack issues. Guess Ford is unable to find a solution for rack issue even in Type 2.
Old 24th June 2013, 08:24   #8312

Couldn't find an appropriate thread to post this (or I could have created a new one).

In the monsoons, my Figo (Which was parked under the elements for a couple of days) seemed to have water leaking into the doors. The left door bottom compartment (which is aluminium/steel on both sides) has a lot of water in it, and manages to slowly leak away to the ground if the door is left open. However, most of the water stays inside, and I'm concerned this may affect the powered window motors - anyone else notice same things happening? And if so, how did you deal with it?
Old 24th June 2013, 10:53   #8313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkash View Post
Couldn't find an appropriate thread to post this (or I could have created a new one).

In the monsoons, my Figo (Which was parked under the elements for a couple of days) seemed to have water leaking into the doors. The left door bottom compartment (which is aluminium/steel on both sides) has a lot of water in it, and manages to slowly leak away to the ground if the door is left open. However, most of the water stays inside, and I'm concerned this may affect the powered window motors - anyone else notice same things happening? And if so, how did you deal with it?
I haven't seen this issue with my Figo, but please check all the beadings, especially the ones that seal the glass in the lower (waistline) portion.
From experience, I can say for sure that water inside the door is a guaranteed recipe for rust. Please drain out all the water first! Also, use a car cover until you have fixed the problem permanently

Is there water collecting anywhere else inside the car?
Old 24th June 2013, 11:05   #8314
BHPian

Enkash, are the beadings broken or are they cracked? Water inside the door cavity will lead to a lot of rush and headaches. There is a solution for the rusting problem though, the ford A.S.S in chennai has a door cavity rubber lining which can prevent rusting but the beading will still allow water if it is not in good condition. Also, spray WD40 liberally inside. This will help lessen issues till the problem gets sorted.
Old 24th June 2013, 11:07   #8315
BHPian

40K Service

My 1.4 TDCi Figo had its 40K service this weekend. I'll put up a detailed breakup/report of how it went, in a few days.

Just needed a clarification -

As per the manual, Break Fluid/Clutch fluid needs to be replaced at 40K service, but the SA advised against it, and said they do it only if it is required, and I should not bother much about it. I took his advise, and did not opt for replacement.

Should I have forced for a replacement? Any problems that can arise out of not replacing the Brake/Clutch fluid? The SA said, they replace/top-up only in case of leakages etc - or if the quality of the fluid has gone extremely bad. FYI - I did replace brake/clutch fluid in the 20K service(which was done at a different Service station).

How soon should I get Brake.Clutch fluids replaced?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th June 2013, 11:14   #8316
BHPian

Re: 40K Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
My 1.4 TDCi Figo...Just needed a clarification -
Hi Dhinchak. In case you had replaced the fluids earlier, i really don't think you should be bothered a lot about it now. However, do ask your SA to check the quality of the fluid just to be sure and then go ahead and replace it if needed. AFAIK, you won't need replacement since fluids are good till 30K usually unless abnormal conditions in heat and chemistry cause it to deteriorate faster.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:40   #8317

I will check this up today - Beadings are the linings on the top & sides of the door, aren't they?

I'm still trying to figure out how to drain the water from inside the door, as of now I have figured out that if I remove the dampener (the piece of rubber which cushions the door closing), there is a hole behind it, but it is about 4 inches above the inside water level so not all of it drains out.

Will report on this thread once checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Enkash, are the beadings broken or are they cracked? Water inside the door cavity will lead to a lot of rush and headaches. There is a solution for the rusting problem though, the ford A.S.S in chennai has a door cavity rubber lining which can prevent rusting but the beading will still allow water if it is not in good condition. Also, spray WD40 liberally inside. This will help lessen issues till the problem gets sorted.
Old 24th June 2013, 13:01   #8318
BHPian

Guys I am returning to this thread after quite a while, since my Figo ZXI petrol was working fine and its being used by my dad, with me using it may be once a month for max 4-5km.

My reason for writing now is my recent displeasure with Ford. My figo recently has a water soaked carpets while sitting in the rain a couple of weeks back, when it really rained in Delhi. We found no areas of leakage, but there was enough water in the car for not being a small leak. Also my dad has been complaining about the AC since the car came from its last service a couple of months back. I didnt gave it much heed and neither did he, until it just gave up all together Wednesday last week. Since both of us were on a very tight schedule, we decided to park Figo and use other cars until the weekend.

On the weekend I got Harpreet Ford to pick up the car, hoping the car is still under warranty. But, later ASS called me that the Warranty had expired end of March (2+1), and the Showroom neither did Ford bother calling the owners to opt for the extended. Anyways after displaying my dis-concern about their lack of keeping the owners informed, I inquired what was wrong with the AC and about the leakage.

And here comes the shocker, I was told that they have checked the AC and the Coil is leaking (I have 4 other cars and numerous years of ownership, and have never experienced ac coil to develop a leak this early in a new car-just 3 year old). Then they gave me an estimate of 13k for the AC job, I was flabbergasted. After inquiring the break-up which is 4-4.5k for the new coil, 2200 for gas (which is not more than 700, outside), around 1k for condenser oil (an item which is not more than a couple of hundred max) and around 4k for labour??

Can you believe that, this is something which is on a relatively new budget hatch in India from Ford. When I went for Figo (right after the launch), I thought that Ford is back with a new strategy and greater localization in India, which will ensure that the old ASS horror stories would go away. Sure, they have got the costs down for the critical parts, but what justifies the mark-up on the consumables such as refrigerant ac gas and condenser oil is just day-light robbery!!

About the water seepage, they couldn't see any problems, and frankly I did not have the stomach for an even large bill. So I accepted that there is no fault.

I had to bite the bullet with Ford, as they do not have a counter sale for spares. Had they sold it via counter, I could have got this work done in no more than 8k from a decent garage in Delhi. But, sadly Ford doesn't sell spares. Also since the problem of Coil was diagnosed by Ford ASS, they asked me to shell out 1.5k for the AC check services!!

Having now realized and experienced the costs of owning a Ford beyond the warranty period now, I am in two minds whether I should continue to own my Figo, or replace it soon to cut my losses. It is however a shame, as it is a near new car with almost 30k on the odo, and besides this is a decent VFM product. However, I feel that the story is just about to turn for the worse.

Last edited by AGwagon : 24th June 2013 at 13:02. Reason: spelling error
Old 24th June 2013, 13:46   #8319
BHPian

Hey Guys! Have faced a strange problem once which has (thankfully) never recurred.
I parked my car for about 15 minutes, came back out and tried to turn the "engine on" - nothing happened. I checked and rechecked everything - No response for about 10 tries. Waited for a minute and then turned the key back on - Voila - It worked!

However I am still guessing what the problem could be. It was okay as it was not in the middle of traffic. Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Old 24th June 2013, 16:09   #8320

Thank you KiloAlpha & Arch-angel.

Yes, I did check the beadings, and sadly, they were ruptured. I say sadly because I did manage to identify why this has happened. During the sunny season, my car was towed for a parking violation (I parked my car 7m away from a turn, which is what I thought the rule was, apparently it is 15m), and they had to break in to the car from the passenger side in order to tow the car. In the process, they have inserted some metallic stick from the top, which has ruptured the beading, the velvety lining AND the body paint as well.

Beading Damage (The Yellow arrow points to the other side of the beading which had a 1 cm wide tear in it)
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-beading-damage.jpg

Body Damage thanks to the break in
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-body-damage.jpg

And if anyone has a similar problem, please ensure the drainholes are clean, I managed to drain all the water by removing the muck accumulated in these:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-bottom-drain.jpg
enkash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 13:52   #8321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
1. What is the battery life of OEM motorcraft battery?
2. Is it that easy for a 2.5 year + battery to drain in above mentioned situation?
3. Do I need to replace the battery?
4. Is OEM battery available in open market? Cost??
5. Can I install a different make/size battery given the limited space in the engine compartment?
Life of a battery is heavily dependent on your usage model of the car and also ambient conditions. Car which is run on a daily basis in warm conditions will have longer battery life than if its used infrequently or in north india where cold weather will impact the life of the battery. As someone pointed out that ICE mods surely have a negative impact.

OEM brand motocraft is actually pretty good. I have a Ikon which is 8.5yrs old and so far have i changed the battery only once. Battery model is same as Figo.

Quote:

In addition to checking the condition of the beads, also note if you have done any mods to the car body, like making holes for ICE wires etc. You will be surprised how some of these after market mods create weird water leak issues. Once a friend of mine had a switch placed in the i10 boot just like the doors to work with the autocop. Due to poor work man ship it was not sealed properly and caused leaks which was causing water to collect in the foot well in front of rear seat.

Quote:
Thank you KiloAlpha & Arch-angel.

Yes, I did check the beadings, and sadly, they were ruptured. I say sadly because I did manage to identify why this has happened. During the sunny season, my car was towed for a parking violation (I parked my car 7m away from a turn, which is what I thought the rule was, apparently it is 15m), and they had to break in to the car from the passenger side in order to tow the car. In the process, they have inserted some metallic stick from the top, which has ruptured the beading, the velvety lining AND the body paint as well.
Horrible to see the way towing is handled by authorities. In a country with more accountability, the enforcement agency could have been sued for this damage.

Last edited by supertinu : 25th June 2013 at 13:53.
Old 25th June 2013, 14:12   #8322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
As per the manual, Break Fluid/Clutch fluid needs to be replaced at 40K service, but the SA advised against it, and said they do it only if it is required, and I should not bother much about it. I took his advise, and did not opt for replacement.
!
I had the reverse situation. They didn't replace at 20K service saying only top up is done, if found less. But, at 40K service they changed it without my asking.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:26   #8323
BHPian

Need suggestions for water sealant to be applied on crack

Hello all,

Need some quick suggestions with regard to Left Handside Headlight assembly on Figo TDCi.

Yesterday while waiting at Yemlur signal (Marathahalli), a taxi cab guy started reversing his Tata Sumo without even looking into the mirror. My horn also fell on his deaf ears. There was at least 5 feet distance between me and him. I am still trying to imagine why he wanted to do that without even looking for once whats behind him at a major signal. Anyway, all this led him to collide with my left hand side leaving me with a major dent on the bumper, dent on left fender and a crack in lower clamp of head light assembly.

I have asked the Metro Ford (Jalahalli body shop) guys to only work on reparing the fender and re-painting it. Not touching the bumper as of now. The dent on the bumper came off easily. There could be some 10% deformation which i am ready to live with.

But i am confused with regard to Headlight assembly. The service advisor suggested replacement (costing some 2500) as the crack in lower clamp will lead to water seepage into the headlight. Everything else is intact. He said i can manage but in the long-run water will seep in.

Wanted to know from you guys if there is any good water sealant/ glue i can apply on the crack (fibre/ plastic material) to prevent from water going in. Its a 2 inch long crack exactly behind the clamp. The clamp itself is in good shape and service advisor said it can withstand the vibrations.

Please let me know if i can buy any heat resistent water sealant from the market and apply on the crack. The service advisor could not suggest any brands for the above purpose.

Would really appreciate if you could let me know as soon as possible so that i can buy today itself and get it applied tomorrow. The car will be delivered to me tomorrow by noon.

Many thanks in advance for all the help,
Old 28th June 2013, 16:28   #8324
BHPian

@figo_gpb
You could try some transparent films (mostly Acrylic ones), the ones 3M has specially made for car headlamps, check out 3M to know more on those films.
Else you could try Silicon Gel, get your car to a fish tank maker, he can apply a very thin coat of Silicon Gel (be advised, this will not stay for a long time due to washing and cleaning and has the tendency to disrupt the light beams)
ramharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 12:06   #8325
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i'll be getting delivery of my white zxi tdci, next week. My question is can I buy the handbrake console from ford, if yes then what will be the cost?

Anyone here got the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks