Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 00:15   #8266
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

I am getting a "tak tak" sound from the front suspensions every time I cross a speed breaker even at a slightly higher pace say at about 15-20 or so? I never experienced this in my older Figo. The new one is the facelifted one. Suggestions needed.
Old 7th June 2013, 01:28   #8267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I got the worst FE ye again..Managed 7.9L Per Km
Driving this car sure does hurt my wallet!

Thats quite low for a 1.2 Ford as well. You should check with the service center. if its something else, The tire pressure makes a difference on the Figo as well.
The least it should go to is just below ten.

Spirited driving with a full load and AC may drop below ten. Haven't tried it but. its a guess after knowing this engine.
Old 7th June 2013, 02:34   #8268
Senior - BHPian

Captain, there is something definitely wrong!

Look at this thread, my driving style is more spirited and I am getting about 9.6 to 9.8 KMPL in the Fiesta 1.6. When I had a sudden drop in the FE, there were lot of things that were going wrong under the hood! I think you should get a detailed checkup done on the car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l-economy.html

Quote:

Last edited by anachronix : 7th June 2013 at 02:35.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 12:01   #8269
BHPian

Quote:
That is too low by any standard! There could be something wrong. The last one I got was about 14 kmpl with AC always on 5 passenger(4 adults 80kg+ and a kid 30kg+) with a boot full of bags and fruits!

The road included ghats, highway and cities. Quiet happy with the mileage. Tyre pressure was set to comfort(35 psi N2 all around - filling after running 5 kms).
Old 7th June 2013, 12:30   #8270
BHPian

I have a quick question. I am a new driver (Yes, I do drive with the "L" Board). I have been driving the Figo 1.4 (almost 95% AC) in off peak hours (7am, 4pm). My car is yet to have its first service. I am currently recording a FE of 15. Is this normal?

My driving style is rather sedate, if anyone needs that info.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:40   #8271
BHPian

After a lotsa search and confusion finally took the plunge. Went ahead and fixed the Arm rest on my Figo.

Bought it through e-bay for Rs. 918/- and fixed it in a local accessory shop.

Didn't used the planks came along with this Universal Arm rest since its not wide enough to fit in the hand brake console.
Added a custom bracket and fasten it with screw on to the hand brake console. Pictures below will tell.

But the setup is little flimsy :-(, since the hand break console in Figo is not rigid. But hold up for the purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20130607_180053.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20130607_180209.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20130607_181152.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20130607_181211.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20130607_181326.jpg  

DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 23:38   #8272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thats quite low for a 1.2 Ford as well. You should check with the service center. if its something else, The tire pressure makes a difference on the Figo as well.
The least it should go to is just below ten.

Spirited driving with a full load and AC may drop below ten. Haven't tried it but. its a guess after knowing this engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Captain, there is something definitely wrong!

Look at this thread, my driving style is more spirited and I am getting about 9.6 to 9.8 KMPL in the Fiesta 1.6. When I had a sudden drop in the FE, there were lot of things that were going wrong under the hood! I think you should get a detailed checkup done on the car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l-economy.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
That is too low by any standard! There could be something wrong. The last one I got was about 14 kmpl with AC always on 5 passenger(4 adults 80kg+ and a kid 30kg+) with a boot full of bags and fruits!

The road included ghats, highway and cities. Quiet happy with the mileage. Tyre pressure was set to comfort(35 psi N2 all around - filling after running 5 kms).
No Spirited driving, This has been fully driven inside Bangalore city, B2B traffic, And This time AC usage was reduced to 80% Compared to 100% on the previous runs.

@.S.S seems to say everything is OK with the car and I would agree with them, Mechanically the car runs fine, so I guess its the combination of traffic + the 1.2L petrol engine = Ultra low F.E
Old 8th June 2013, 19:12   #8273
BHPian

Quote:
captain,
Time to dump your figo for honda/maruti ?seriously After reading your experience with car, I guess it's time to dunno it and move on.

Are there any plans of Figo getting the 1L P from ecosport ?
Old 8th June 2013, 19:33   #8274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@.S.S seems to say everything is OK with the car and I would agree with them, Mechanically the car runs fine, so I guess its the combination of traffic + the 1.2L petrol engine = Ultra low F.E

Couple of points:
Is it possible that your Petrol bunk is cheating you.
Someone is stealing your fuel.
There is a minor fuel leak some place. Has anyone in the rear seats ever complained about fuel smell.

You could try a small test.
Tank up and visually see the fuel level with regard to the opening.
Drive at least 50-60 kms within your city.
Tank up again.

Calculate milage.

Last edited by bblost : 8th June 2013 at 19:34.
Old 8th June 2013, 20:34   #8275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Spirited driving, This has been fully driven inside Bangalore city, B2B traffic, And This time AC usage was reduced to 80% Compared to 100% on the previous runs.

In the typical drives through the city, does your car ever go beyond 3rd gear/40kmph? If not, then I am not surprised at your mileage numbers. I achieved 8km/l on one tankful, when my car was either doing short runs (<5km) or stuck in traffic. But out on the open road, at a steady 80kmph and a light foot, she still returned 17kmpl.
Old 9th June 2013, 02:46   #8276
BHPian

It's high time ford replace the petrol engine in the figo to an ecoboost. The current 1.2 is a disaster in my opinion. It is neither powerful enough for the car, nor is it fuel efficient to justify the lack of it. With the ecoboost plonked in, worst case, even if the mileage figures hover around the current figures, you at least get the thrills driving it around. With the current 1.2, the figo is just a bore.
jayded is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 13:26   #8277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
captain,
Time to dump your figo for honda/maruti ?seriously After reading your experience with car, I guess it's time to dunno it and move on.

Are there any plans of Figo getting the 1L P from ecosport ?
haha Azkaban! ! the car is still being used by me and family getting rid of this is not so easy. I tried and I got low offers of 2.25 or 2.5L But then investing another 2-3L on another car? Its a bit too much for us right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Couple of points:

Calculate milage.
Hi bb!
For a while I thought so but I myself ensure that the car is tanked up at only Shell! Maybe on the next tank full I shall try another shell outlet.
No fuel smell/leak reported yet.

You know the test you mentioned is the best way to check FE. Next time I am going out on a long errant I will full tank the car and once again towards the end of the day once I am done I will do another refill just to check this.

Fuel Theft Chances are nil. No drivers, No washers. Only family people drive the car and I wash it myself. (Once a month)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
It's high time ford replace the petrol engine in the figo to an ecoboost. The current 1.2 is a disaster in my opinion. It is neither powerful enough for the car, nor is it fuel efficient to justify the lack of it. With the ecoboost plonked in, worst case, even if the mileage figures hover around the current figures, you at least get the thrills driving it around. With the current 1.2, the figo is just a bore.
Tell me about it! From what I know the 1.2L engine is nothing but the OLD Ikon 1.3L engine which has been redone to a 1.2L.

Its about time this engine is put to rest!

Power? hah! Try climbing a steep incline with 3 adults the car will struggle! At times I have to manually switch off the AC just to get a little bit of more power.

But the 1.4L diesel engine is a gem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
In the typical drives through the city, does your car ever go beyond 3rd gear/40kmph? If not, then I am not surprised at your mileage numbers. I achieved 8km/l on one tankful, when my car was either doing short runs (<5km) or stuck in traffic. But out on the open road, at a steady 80kmph and a light foot, she still returned 17kmpl.
In a way you are right. Very rarely does the car every go above 40 in such conditions. Some days the car just travels 7KMs but this is just 1-2KM stretch 3-4 times a day.
Yup on the earlier highway trip to Tirupati I got a good FE of 16-17,
Let me try what bb suggested and report back soon.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 9th June 2013 at 13:27.
Old 9th June 2013, 20:26   #8278
BHPian

Yesterday i went for a ride (here in ECR) on my Figo TDCI, I heard a humming noise coming from the wheels whenever i cross 60 km/hr and the noise increases till 80 km/h and somewhat settled down after that.
I shifted to neutral at 80 km/hr and sort it out that the humming noise is not from engine but from wheels.

When i stopped for a break, i immedietly called Chennai Ford about the issue and fixed an appointment for the very next day (sunday).

Came back home and searched team-bhp and it helped . i found two of the forum members faced the same issue and the culprit was wheel bearing.

Went to Chennai Ford today morning at 9.30 a.m, (really appreciate that they work on sundays) and reported the issue and added that i was suspicious about the wheel bearing. Then me along with the SC guy went for a TD, just in few meters he said this could be either wheel bearing or due to tyre's uneven wear and added he suspect 80% that its due to the faulty wheel bearing at the rear left wheel. Came back to the workshop, ramp up the car, he rotates the wheel individually and confirmed it IS the rear left wheel bearing.

Changed the wheel bearing at FOC as the vehicle still on warranty and gave back my car at 3'O clock. Took a TD and i confirmed the noise is gone.

My experience with Chennai Ford this time is very good!!. I didn't saw any known faces which i normally saw at weekdays. I guess these were freshers/newly joint who were asked to come on sundays. That could be the reason for the +ve experience i guess.

On the down side, Im really suspicious about the quality of the car, This is my second warranty claim in 16.5k Kms at 1.3 yrs of ownership. First is the brake calipers changed just a month ago, and now the wheel bearing.

One question, is the wheel bearing go kaput all of a sudden? I'am pretty sure the noise came-in only yesterday.
I washed my car thoroughly yesterday before the ride, cleaned all the wheels with water. Splashed water to remove the mud accumulated on the wheel house. Will it be the reason? I never use dirty water on wheels, but if mud is around the wheel, can't help.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 9th June 2013 at 20:28.
Old 9th June 2013, 21:31   #8279
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a post on facebook by a Figo Owner that Ford is launching some promotional campaign for servicing.
1) Silver Plan - INR 5350/- which will include 2 services free (it will include labor, engine oil, all other oil top-up, body-wash, and other things which are all included in a normal paid service.
2) Gold Plan - INR 8275/- 3 services free just like above + 1 year RSA free (if already have a RSA plan, it will add up to that) + 25% discount in any 3M service/product.
The registration for the plans is online and can be redeemed form any authorised Ford dealer, anywhere in India without any time frame limits.

My local dealer spoke to me yesterday also and they mentioned only about the routine monsoon campaign from 12th - 15th.

Anyone has any idea of what these service deals are?
Old 10th June 2013, 10:35   #8280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is really poor average for the 1.2L engine. I would think the minimum you should get is about 9-10kmpl. Maybe you should reset the ECU once by unplugging the battery for few mins to see if it helps. At times bad fuel quality also can be a culprit. Fyi I have a petrol ikon with the older 1.3L ROCAM engine. I drive that car only for office commute to Bagmane tech park on OMR via KRpuram. So you know its pretty much bumper to bumper traffic both ways and I manage about 10 kmpl. Check your air filter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
One question, is the wheel bearing go kaput all of a sudden? I'am pretty sure the noise came-in only yesterday.
I washed my car thoroughly yesterday before the ride, cleaned all the wheels with water. Splashed water to remove the mud accumulated on the wheel house. Will it be the reason? I never use dirty water on wheels, but if mud is around the wheel, can't help.
Yes this bearing failure does seem premature for a factory part. Hopefully its just a one off case. 1st bearing failure on my Ikon came at around 55K kms. Dont worry about your wheel washing. Bearings dont go bad by washing. Tyres are expected to be driven in rain, water, harshest of the conditions without exposing bearings to external elements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks