Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 13:11   #7561
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
I am seriously considering Figo diesel to replace my wife's Zen Estillo. I am bit worried about the low ground clearance, specially when I observed the position of oil sump. I feel that, if I have to pass through a bad stretch, oil sump will be the first to take a hit. What do you guys think, should I be worried about hitting the sump, probably by a stone or something?
Anuj, I drive to work in Mumbai 3 days a week, and on the route encounter some pretty nasty speedbreakers and bad stretches. Unless fully loaded (5 people), my figo does not ground anywhere. However, a friend's swift, with the same load manages to clear all the bumps/bad stretches without issue. Definitely GC is less, but can be managed by going over bumps one wheel at a time, and going over bad stretches slow and steady.
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 14:16   #7562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Anuj, I drive to work in Mumbai 3 days a week, and on the route encounter some pretty nasty speedbreakers and bad stretches. Unless fully loaded (5 people), my figo does not ground anywhere. However, a friend's swift, with the same load manages to clear all the bumps/bad stretches without issue. Definitely GC is less, but can be managed by going over bumps one wheel at a time, and going over bad stretches slow and steady.
Use this thread for expert advise - Art of taking Speed Breakers(humps) without scraping the belly.

I used to get frustrated with my Figo in the initial days but I found this method best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
My way of dealing with these scrapy speedbreakers is I let the vehicle speed remain and apply breaks just before the speed breaker and then release the breaks and let it roll over the speed breakers with the momentum it carries.

The key here is you should apply breaks just before the speed breaker not to dead slow speed. The vehicle should have enough momentum/speed to roll over the speed breakers.

By this method I manage to dodge 90% of speed breakers without scraping which I would have anyway scraped if I was dead slow.

By following this method, I avoid the suspension to come into play and can control the car better, than going one wheel at a time. Works for me even whilst driving the Civic.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:00   #7563
BHPian

icyspikey, A350XWB & sriku, Thank you guys for the reassuring words. It looks like wife will get a Figo for her next B'day. Initially I felt bit odd for the rear windows rolling down only half way, but then the brighter side of it was, kids will keep their hands / head inside.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:15   #7564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
icyspikey, A350XWB & sriku, Thank you guys for the reassuring words. It looks like wife will get a Figo for her next B'day. Initially I felt bit odd for the rear windows rolling down only half way, but then the brighter side of it was, kids will keep their hands / head inside.
Good choice Anuj.
I've finished my 20k service, and have had amazing fun on many long drives in the figo. my friends love to drive it also, and it feels good when an i20/honda city driver appreciates my little figo.
That being said, if you are looking at buying mid 2013, please also consider the honda amaze diesel, and the nissan micra diesel. I have driven the micra diesel recently and came away impressed. The amaze diesel with a 1.5l engine and the reassuring Honda badge, seems like the next big thing in the diesel lineups. Give them a try, even if you have made up your mind on the figo diesel.
Old 27th December 2012, 21:50   #7565
BHPian

Today i have driven my cousin's new facelifted Figo TDCI zxi. I didn't find any difference in the engine's performance. The steering column mounted audio control is a big let down for tall people, I'am 6.1 even after tilted the steering to the highest setting it kept interfering my left leg. Yet to see the difference in headlight throw.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:07   #7566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
That being said, if you are looking at buying mid 2013, please also consider the honda amaze diesel, and the nissan micra diesel. I have driven the micra diesel recently and came away impressed. The amaze diesel with a 1.5l engine and the reassuring Honda badge, seems like the next big thing in the diesel lineups. Give them a try, even if you have made up your mind on the figo diesel.
As I said earlier, it will be a hatch for my wife. There are not many options when you shop for your wife. She like Figo, by the looks and size. She likes Micra, because it has got a fancy key and start button.
I still got to take her for a test drive. Lets see how it goes when she gets a hands on experience on those hatches. I "hope" she will pick the Figo.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:22   #7567
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed that the front RHS disc on my figo has signs of rust after the drive thru' the rains last evening.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121230_122045.png
Views: 2759
Size:  743.3 KB

The Front LHS is ok.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121230_122034.png
Views: 2714
Size:  704.6 KB

Anything to worry about? Car has clocked about 8k in 6 months.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 30th December 2012 at 12:26.
Old 31st December 2012, 10:35   #7568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Just noticed that the front RHS disc on my figo has signs of rust after the drive thru' the rains last evening.

The Front LHS is ok.

No, I don't think there is anything to worry about. I see this rust on my Figo's disc brakes quite often. Goes away (rubbed away, or whatever you may like to call it) on its own.
dhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 10:49   #7569
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure of why the rust seems to have come up on only one disc & not the other, but this is pretty normal. It happens all the time & goes away once the brakes are used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

The Front LHS is ok.

blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 10:52   #7570
BHPian

Got my 30K service a couple of weeks back at Harpreet Motors, Moti Nagar, the total bill amount was 4,547/-

1. Fuel Filter was replaced - Cost approx - 1500/-
2. Engine Oil - approx 1000/-
3. Engine Oil Filter - approx 250/-
4. Some Gasket Plug etc, these were two items each costing around Rs 50-60/-
5. Consumables - 130/-
6. Labour - approx 1100/-

The total bill with taxes turned out to be Rs 4547/-

The SA asked me to get some PCM programming done, which would (apparently) make the engine more efficient, increase the FE etc. I politely refused - They were asking for Rs. 750/- for this.

Anyone has any idea what this PCM programming is, and how useful it is? I asked him if this is for the stalling issue(which I have *touchwood* not witnessed till now), he said, No - this is just for tuning the engine.

Also, in the final bill - they had charged my Rs. 300 (approx) for "Internal panel Lubrication). Wen I enquired what this was, he had no clear lubrication, and cancelled those charges promptly.

Also, the 'Gasket Plug' charges, I asked why they were being charged, because I clearly remembered that I was never charged for this in any of my precious scheduled services. he said, they charge it always (this was my first time service at Harpreet Ford, Moti Nagar). Since, it was not a big amount I did not raise much hue and cry about it.

Another, thing which I later noticed later in the bill was - I was charged for 4.1L of engine oil, whereas every time I was charged 3.8L and even the owner's manual states that 3.8L of engine oil is required.

I am amazed, how they fleece the customers of these small charges, which in the end total up to make a huge bill.

Never was I charged with 'Consumables', 'Gasket Plug', and 4.1L of engine oil. Shall I go ahead and complain about these to Ford, atleast the 4.1L of engine oil is daylight robbery. How can they charge me for more oil than my car's engine can take

Last edited by dhinchak : 31st December 2012 at 10:53.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:05   #7571
Senior - BHPian

@dinchak---I think you should complain to the dealer first. You may take up with Ford later if he does not satisfy you.

Overcharging for engine oil is a strong point in your favour. But as regards consumables, it is normal and could be something like Waxoyl touchup, etc. Even Suzuki charges for consumables when I get my Access serviced.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:33   #7572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
Another, thing which I later noticed later in the bill was - I was charged for 4.1L of engine oil, whereas every time I was charged 3.8L and even the owner's manual states that 3.8L of engine oil is required.
This is standard all across. I believe Ford is aware of it as well. Maybe a part of it goes to them as well or so it seems.

Dealer doesn't listen much to complaints. I was delayed by 30 mins due to very dense fog and that I have to drive 170kms to go to ASC. Work didn't begin till 12 noon. Upon threatening to issue me gate-pass, work began & it was 30 mins job anyways. Don't understand why a customer has to escalate even for these minor work?

My 20K service was carried as well on Friday. I too was charged the same (for oil)

Wiper is expensive at Rs. 850 for a pair. But they are better than Bosch ones.

Gateway Ford @ Siliguri.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:40   #7573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This is standard all across. I believe Ford is aware of it as well. Maybe a part of it goes to them as well or so it seems.
I don't think this is standard. I have had service from 2 other Dealers - Bhagat Ford, Chandigarh and Delhi Ford, Vasant Kunj. Both charged me for 3.8L engine oil. Strange that how it is happening across multiple dealers and no one seems to care/notice it. This must be taken up with Ford.

I'll write an email to Ford.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:52   #7574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
Got my 30K service a couple of weeks back at Harpreet Motors, Moti Nagar, the total bill amount was 4,547/-

2. Engine Oil - approx 1000/-

Did they completely drain out the engine oil. Which is what I hoping they would have done. Flushed out all the old oil, and replaced with a new batch.

If so, then I would happy for you. As the engine oil storage maybe 3.8L, but there would be more oil in the other chambers of the engine.
In fact it will be better for your car, there is a new batch of engine oil all over.

If they have not done a complete drain and flush then you are right. Speak to Ford India.
Old 31st December 2012, 17:17   #7575
BHPian

@All Figo'ers : Got my Figo 1.4 Titanium last week .
As per sales guy 'Extended warrantee will come from FORD INDIA after 45 of days' is this true? Please let me know.
Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks