Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 17:24   #7096
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

A little consumption is alright, but with the kind of consumption you have observed in your car, it is surely a sign of a problem. The Figo TDCi takes in about 3.8 liters of engine oil & for the level to show below the minimum mark on the dipstick, the quantity of the engine oil would be only close to a litre (possibly even lesser). How much oil did the ASC use for the top-up?

With this kind of quantity of engine oil to dissappear, there would be visible leakages i.e. if leakage is the reason for this drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
I got some problem here :(.

Yesterday when i checked the engine oil level in my TDCI (ran 7900 km), it was dangerously low (below the last line in engine oil dump stick) and coolant level is also near to minimum. Took it to the service centre (Chennai Ford), they check for any oil leakage possibility and say nothing of sort, topped up both engine oil and coolant. Is this is fine?
Old 19th August 2012, 19:34   #7097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
How much oil did the ASC use for the top-up?

With this kind of quantity of engine oil to dissappear, there would be visible leakages i.e. if leakage isawonly s the reason for this drop.
They filled up until half mark now. There is no sign of engine oil leak, nothing under the hood. i used to check that daily.. FYI at ~5k kms i noticed the dip stick showing engine oil level at half mark, when i asked the SC guy that time they said oil consumption is fine at initial run-in. Am i misled by SC?
Old 20th August 2012, 10:24   #7098
Senior - BHPian

You surely have been misled by your ASC. The engine oil level dropping to half-mark in 5K kms is not right.

Does your car smoke usually?

Quote:
They filled up until half mark now. There is no sign of engine oil leak, nothing under the hood. i used to check that daily.. FYI at ~5k kms i noticed the dip stick showing engine oil level at half mark, when i asked the SC guy that time they said oil consumption is fine at initial run-in. Am i misled by SC?
Old 20th August 2012, 16:11   #7099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
You surely have been misled by your ASC. The engine oil level dropping to half-mark in 5K kms is not right.

Does your car smoke usually?
As far as i noticed it doesn't smoke. Need to notice it more now on. I guess its ok to smoke at hard acceleration.

Today took the car to SC again, they lift up the car and inspect in front of me and there is no sign of oil leak. Is there anything i need to look up?

One SC supervisor told me that its normal to drink oil and they used to fill up oil with vehicles coming with low oil indicator (esp. new vehicles Taxis and high running vehicles).
He said on saturday they filled up only 250 ml's of oil on my car, which then reached to half mark. he also added when we check, the car was slightly slanding, it was actually above minimum marking when they check inside the workshop. Though I couldn't trust them fully.

Anyways going to check the oil consumption freq'ly for the next 2k kms.

Do i need to take it to any independent garage and check? or is any chennai BHP-ians knows any friendly ford SC guy?
Old 20th August 2012, 21:18   #7100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Got to know from a close friend who works in Ford Manufacturing plant, that the new upgraded batch of Figos are ready. It might even come to us in 3 weeks.
Any further update on the date for this?

Ford offered free insurance last week. I'm sure the discounts on the current inventory are going to increase in the lead up to the facelift.
Old 21st August 2012, 06:51   #7101
BHPian

My car is going for RTB checkup on 23 of this month. The engine stalling issue is present in my car. So I am thinking of getting it rectified when car goes to the workshop day after tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what all things have to be done to get this issue sorted out? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st August 2012, 09:59   #7102
Senior - BHPian

It is normal for a diesel vehicle to smoke during hard acceleration, however, I am still not able to digest that they added only 250ml of engine oil & the oil level on the dipstick reached halfway.
And though the ASC checked the oil level with the car standing slanted but when you had checked, the car was on a level surface & even then the level was shockingly low. So, I wouldn't really give the advisor's word much weightage here.

It is normal for a car to consume some oil & I have personally seen quite a few Figos (TDCi especially) getting engine oil top-ups done on their first services itself, with the amount of top-up oil being in the range of 100-200 ml. But on those cars, the dipstick wasn't showing the oil level below the min. mark.

I am really not sure where the oil is going if it's not leaking or getting consumed. In fact, a similar problem exists on many Logans/Veritos, but I am unaware of any more details; I think a thread also exists here on TBHP & you can try contacting that thread starter for further details (though for a different brand, but still enough to give an idea).

And no, don't take the car to a non-authorized place, however, if you do know a trusted mechanic, ask him about what the reasons could be. This may help you in suggesting something to the ASC that they may have intentionally or unintentionally missed out.

Quote:
As far as i noticed it doesn't smoke. Need to notice it more now on. I guess its ok to smoke at hard acceleration.

Today took the car to SC again, they lift up the car and inspect in front of me and there is no sign of oil leak. Is there anything i need to look up?

One SC supervisor told me that its normal to drink oil and they used to fill up oil with vehicles coming with low oil indicator (esp. new vehicles Taxis and high running vehicles).
He said on saturday they filled up only 250 ml's of oil on my car, which then reached to half mark. he also added when we check, the car was slightly slanding, it was actually above minimum marking when they check inside the workshop. Though I couldn't trust them fully.

Anyways going to check the oil consumption freq'ly for the next 2k kms.

Do i need to take it to any independent garage and check? or is any chennai BHP-ians knows any friendly ford SC guy?

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 21st August 2012 at 10:01.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 11:09   #7103
Senior - BHPian

Hey Folks, this weekend I finally came across the dreaded Figo stalling act :( after having driven for about 6K kms. I have a Feb 12 vehicle which ideally comes with updated ECU s/w. Never faced this problem before but on the weekend while driving back from Mysore to Bangalore, i went over a speed bump at about 30kmph and suddenly it all went limp and all warning lamps came up. Luckily there wasnt much traffic behind and gradually moved to the left most lane and stopped slowly with limited braking. It was a scary experience, will monitor this closely to see if problem re-occurs.

Quote:
I have heard of engine's under run in to consume oil, its fairly common with german brands but didnt know Ford TDCi has the same thing. Atleast so far on my car which has done 6K i havn't seen any oil consumption. I would suggest you closely monitor the levels. Drop a mail to Ford India incase you are not satisified with A.S.S explanations or try another A.S.S center
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 13:14   #7104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Any further update on the date for this?

Ford offered free insurance last week. I'm sure the discounts on the current inventory are going to increase in the lead up to the facelift.
Called up and checked with my guy. To his knowledge, the launch of new Figo is postponed to early Oct or Diwali.

Mangament have decided strictly to clear out the exisitng inventory of 7500 to 10K cars before the new facelift launch.

Also they have some electrical issues in redesigned Tail lamp circuit which is being worked upon.
Ananthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 14:01   #7105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Called up and checked with my guy. To his knowledge, the launch of new Figo is postponed to early Oct or Diwali.

Mangament have decided strictly to clear out the exisitng inventory of 7500 to 10K cars before the new facelift launch.

Also they have some electrical issues in redesigned Tail lamp circuit which is being worked upon.
Thanks for the prompt update ! Really appreciate.

So to summarize, the speculated changes in the Titanium would be:
1. Redesigned headlamps/taillamps
2. Tweaked front bumper/grill
3. Keyless entry
4. Engine start/stop
5. New design alloys
6. 3 New colors (orange/blue/yellow)

Any chances of the rear power windows being fitted somehow? If not, it would make sense to buy the current edition. Already free insurance is up for grabs. If they have to clear out stock in 1-2 months, the discounts will surely increase around late September.

Another query: Has Ford stopped production of the current version? Is this 7.5-10K ready inventory lying with dealers?
Old 21st August 2012, 14:10   #7106
BHPian

Quote:
As far as i noticed it doesn't smoke. Need
Hi Drive Addict, did they put the car on the ramp and check for Oil Pump leakage, this is bang in the middle of the front axle. My car had a leak issue and they replaced the O-ring first, but the issue recurred and oil pump was replaced.
Old 21st August 2012, 14:28   #7107
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday gave my car for RTB change and few other issues. I hear a thud sound when my front left wheel hits a pothhole or a small bump. Had a road test and the technician found there is a problem with link rod.

Today the SA called and the link rod replacement would cost around 1200/- and cannot be covered under warranty as the car has done 22k (26th month running).

But I have 3 year warranty and could not understand why they charge and also I see the paint peeling off in one of my wiper blades.

This is the fifth replacement in my car under warranty. will update more on my ownership thread after getting the car today evening.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:31   #7108
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Hi All,

Also, i had an additional road noise from the left side tyre, when i took it for alignment the service person at Lal tyres said it had a bulge and replaced it with spare tyre. Now the noise is gone, during the service i brought this to the attention of ford guys, they were not able to identify the bulge. What makes me wonder is for 24k kms one tyre has bulged is this normal? i am planning to mark the bulge area and take it back to the ford guys to see what their response is.

Scorp
Please go through this link of Extended Warranty for tyres (pro-rata cover till 40k)

http://www.capitalford.net/images/warranty.pdf.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 15:54   #7109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Please go through this link of Extended Warranty for tyres (pro-rata cover till 40k)

http://www.capitalford.net/images/warranty.pdf.
When i showed them the tyre they said the bulge could not be identified and that damages could be due to normal wear and tear like hitting stones etc. need to check and see Thanks RGK
Old 21st August 2012, 17:06   #7110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Hi Drive Addict, did they put the car on the ramp and check for Oil Pump leakage, this is bang in the middle of the front axle. My car had a leak issue and they replaced the O-ring first, but the issue recurred and oil pump was replaced.
Hi scorpio07, Yes they put the car on the ramp and showed me no signs of leakage anywhere. i couldn't see any oil leak signs under the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks