Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 21:10   #6511
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Had a classic taste of Figos handling and stability. I was doing 70kmh and suddenly a snake started crossing the road entering form left lane, I just pushed the steering to the right and then flicked again. Did not get time to lift off also. Car jumped to the right lane and again back in left without any fuss. I was pretty scared!
Old 19th April 2012, 21:17   #6512
BHPian

I am sure no vehicle was around. This when done with other vehicles too close could be dangerous! Once I did this thing to avoid a dead dog on the road while driving a Omni and I got a good peace of mind from Dad.

Coming back to the steering. Today, accidentally I pulled the steering towards me and to my surprise It got pulled by 2-3mm. When I lifted the force, It went back to its position. Is this amount of play in the steering normal?
Old 20th April 2012, 19:00   #6513
Distinguished - BHPian

Did 40,000 Kms servicing a few days back with the odo reading 41300.

Total cost came to Rs 3124/- after the "figo 2 yr celebration service campaign" discounts and offers. The initial bill was Rs 4250/-
Wheel balancing cost would come additional. I did not do it since I am about to change my tyres.

41000 km update

1) The car is responding quite well and cruising smooth without any problems.
2) The ECM update has solved the problems of involuntary engine shutdowns as of now. I haven't faced any for the last 6,000 Kms.
3) The mileage is steady hovering around 17 kmpl in normal drive conditions (50% highway and 50% city) with 100% AC and 19 Kmpl on Highways.
I havent been on consistent highway drives recently. These days, my drives are all short ones not extending for more than an hour at the max. I am sure the fuel efficiency figures will be better or consistent highway drives.
4) No signs of ageing of the car (read- rattles or squeaks). Build quality seems to be holding to the test of time and use.
5) Ground clearance issue is something which i have learnt to live with now
6) The engine is still responding very well with smooth and linear acceleration characteristics with no turbo lag (as is the boon of the tdci in comparison with the DDIS)
7) Tip for others- Don't expect the stock tyres to hold on for a max of 40,000 Kms on standard Indian Driving conditions; unless you are consistently running only on well paved roads.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 15:25   #6514
Team-BHP Support

Hi everyone

My Figo's shocks makes a crunch or thud sound everytime it comes down from a small hump (not potholes or while climbing) but while ascending. Happens at slow speeds.

Are the shocks gone?

My Car has done 13,2xx kms and is Dec '10 manufactured. Driven w/o much load and not driven roughly. I push it where roads are good. Baby it on bad roads.

What would be the best way to approach the SVC?
Old 21st April 2012, 17:23   #6515
BHPian

It happens with my car too. I am not able to take it to the ASSC. I guess there is some problem with ARB bush.

OT: Can the figo be driven to leh in May?
Old 21st April 2012, 18:29   #6516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
With the GC issues, i don't think you would want to do that. But considering that Tata Nano has done a Leh drive, the call is a wild chase. If it had been me, i wouldnt do it anyway
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 20:11   #6517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Had a classic taste of Figos handling and stability. I was doing 70kmh and suddenly a snake started crossing the road entering form left lane, I just pushed the steering to the right and then flicked again. Did not get time to lift off also. Car jumped to the right lane and again back in left without any fuss. I was pretty scared!
yea it sure handles maturely. But one thing that my Dad taught me when I started to learn on his scooter was that never ever swerve to save a dog on the road, consequences may be worst for you and others due to the sudden move. It probably gets worse with a car. Running over the snake would have been a safer proposition.

Quote:

Coming back to the steering. Today, accidentally I pulled the steering towards me and to my surprise It got pulled by 2-3mm. When I lifted the force, It went back to its position. Is this amount of play in the steering normal?
Doesnt happen on my Figo. I tried it today. Check with Ford once.

Quote:

I recently went to some place in Kerela and while driving to the plantation resort the last 100 mtrs of the road was all stones and raised a bit in the middle cause truck tires had sunk the sides. To save the tires I 1st went on the tire marks but immediately scraped under belly and eventually drove one side on the sharp stones. Luckily no damage done to underside or tires. Point being that you can drive to Leh but just need to be ready and understand the possible consequences. People have driven Altos to Leh so its not that it cannot be done.

Last edited by supertinu : 21st April 2012 at 20:12.
Old 21st April 2012, 20:18   #6518
BHPian

My figo city economy has considerably gone up thanks to opening of
Number of flyovers on ORR , part of daily grind.

DTE is consistently around 730-760 kms for 100% city after tank fulls.
When it comes to highway, I can do blr-sringeri on 500/- diesel. Odo:~40k.

Going back to page 1 review, every word written holds true, and the driving experience hasn't changed after 2yrs.

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 21st April 2012 at 20:20.
Old 21st April 2012, 20:24   #6519
Senior - BHPian

Any one experienced sqweaking sound in parcel or around parcel tray? My figo D has run 1k kms and I get to hear this sqweak n plastic touching kind of sound behind driver side around parcel tray and C pillar area. Tried looking but was unable to figure out.

Last edited by recshenoy : 21st April 2012 at 20:26.
Old 21st April 2012, 20:25   #6520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I just pushed the steering to the right and then flicked again.
Wish I was in your car to experience it since I can't attempt it on my own (would be crazy to do so).

Quote:
Today, accidentally I pulled the steering towards me and to my surprise It got pulled by 2-3mm. When I lifted the force, It went back to its position. Is this amount of play in the steering normal?
Doesn't happen in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My Figo's shocks makes a crunch or thud sound everytime it comes down from a small hump (not potholes or while climbing) but while ascending. Happens at slow speeds.
Check carefully whether the sound comes after hitting ground or before hitting ground. If before hitting ground then it is just popping sound of the suspension unloading. If after hitting ground then I think it is Figo's characteristic stiff suspension at play. You can check it by going over hump with your Figo loaded with passengers. The thud sound should be gone. If not then check suspension bush (rubber).
Old 21st April 2012, 20:36   #6521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Any one experienced sqweaking sound in parcel or around parcel tray? My figo D has run 1k kms and I get to hear this sqweak n plastic touching kind of sound behind driver side around parcel tray and C pillar area. Tried looking but was unable to figure out.
Yeah. That is kind of a known issue. If you approach the A.S.S, they would soften it up with some paddings. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it re surfaces after some jerky drives. There have been reports of similar squeaks being isolated to be appearing from the B pillar cladding too (near the seat belt attachment point)

But considering that you have a new car which has just run 1000 Kms, it shouldn't have been there at the first place. I heard that Ford has addressed this issue in the newer cars out of production
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 20:57   #6522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
yea it sure handles maturely. But one thing that my Dad taught me when I started to learn on his scooter was that never ever swerve to save a dog on the road, consequences may be worst for you and others due to the sudden move. It probably gets worse with a car. Running over the snake would have been a safer proposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Wish I was in your car to experience it since I can't attempt it on my own (would be crazy to do so).
I came back home but had that incident in mind. So started arguing with dad. As per him if I was doing 50kmh I could have stopped rather then swerve. I have told him that I would rather run over it then put some human life in danger. Now he thinks I am a rash driver . Dad is new to car but has 5 Lakh+ mileage on 2 wheelers.
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:01   #6523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check carefully whether the sound comes after hitting ground or before hitting ground. If before hitting ground then it is just popping sound of the suspension unloading. If after hitting ground then I think it is Figo's characteristic stiff suspension at play. You can check it by going over hump with your Figo loaded with passengers. The thud sound should be gone. If not then check suspension bush (rubber).
Hi!

The sound is heard after it hits the ground. I would anyways be getting this checked whenever I visit the ASC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Yeah. That is kind of a known issue. If you approach the A.S.S, they would soften it up with some paddings. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it re surfaces after some jerky drives. There have been reports of similar squeaks being isolated to be appearing from the B pillar cladding too (near the seat belt attachment point)

But considering that you have a new car which has just run 1000 Kms, it shouldn't have been there at the first place. I heard that Ford has addressed this issue in the newer cars out of production
My Car too has the squeak from the same place. Characteristically Figo

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:56   #6524
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't happen in my case.
I am tensed. Can't let the mechanics fiddle with it. They will ruin it more. Try in your car with a bit more pressure. Make sure you pull it along the same angle in which the steering is tilted.
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:29   #6525
BHPian

Quote:
I am tensed. Can't let the mechanics fiddle with it. They will ruin it more. Try in your car with a bit more pressure. Make sure you pull it along the same angle in which the steering is tilted.
I tried it just again. Pulling again in the direction the steering wheel is tilted, pushing it, shaking it, applying force but nothing happens. Apply more force and I feel it will come out in my hands so didn't apply more force.

Can you pinpoint and find out where the position changes? Does it happen at the clearance shown in the pic?

Name:  13513.gif
Views: 1826
Size:  11.0 KB

Please read this article FORDification.com TSB Database • View topic - Article 1351 - Steering Column and Flexible Coupling Installation and try to find out if something seems familiar, especially the "coupling pins". Please also Google about "steering coupling pins".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks