Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 12:13   #6466
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
The tachometer has been removed from the EXI. All in all there seems to be a hike of 40-45K compared to EXI of 2010 if you consider the price of music system and 1K or 2K for tachometer.

Ford manual says "Keep RPM below 3K before first service" I am going to ask ford about this "how are you expecting us to know the RPM of engine in EXI and LXI version". Seriously stupid move by Ford to remove tachometer in EXI. I don't think one can get aftermarket tacho fitted since it might void warranty!
Removing even Tachometer is seriously bad move. Wonder what made them do that. IIRC, thee was a mentioned somewhere, that Ford Duratech engines does not require traditional running-in. Now that will be a really confusing for first time owners to rely only on sound.

Not sure what else are changed, as I feel Exi is more VFM for compared to extras it got than LXi.

Is the Dash also changed in EXi now? (I mean the chrome accent on A/C vents, door handles etc?)
Old 10th April 2012, 13:00   #6467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded

Is there any specific reason why you are looking at a petrol Figo? I drive a TDCi and had a chance to drive a petrol Figo for a week. I will just say I was not impressed with the power of the car. Add to that a mileage of around 10-11 in the city with AC.
If at all you make up your mind to go for a petrol hatch, take a look at the Etios Liva, or the Honda brio. I'm just suggesting these without knowing your exact needs though.

Cheers!
I am considering petrol car as my usage will be very limited. Should not cross more than 400 km a month. Also I have a limited budget of 4- 4.5 lakhs. So even the base model of TDCi will cross 5.4 on road.
Considering Figo amongst other due to its interior space, hydraulic steering, superb handling & stability as per review. Also it is mentioned that Figo has lower spare parts costs compared to Hyundai & Honda.
Yet to take the test drive to decide on ride quality & performance suitable as per my need.
Old 10th April 2012, 13:27   #6468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Considering Figo amongst other due to its interior space, hydraulic steering, superb handling & stability as per review
I brought my petrol Figo because of these plus good ride quality. Add to that interior space and build quality. My dads avg running is less then 400kms and also I knew petrol prices will be reduced in Goa soon.
Old 10th April 2012, 13:37   #6469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380
I brought my petrol Figo because of these plus good ride quality. Add to that interior space and build quality. My dads avg running is less then 400kms and also I knew petrol prices will be reduced in Goa soon.
You made a wise choice considering the usage & location. I guess now Goa will be hot weekend destination for Petrol cars.

Will bother you & DevilsCry in future if you don't mind. But that future is still unclear. What are the other points that needs to be looked after for Figos in general.
I am pretty worried about some threads mentioning poor paint quality, rusting & Lemon car in Lemon color etc.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:27   #6470
Senior - BHPian

Dont be bothered too much. just get it done. i had it done by the after market horns went kaput, so i reverted back to the originals there was a little vibrations coming from the car when i used the horn, got it checked by the FORD, they did notice that i had after markets but they checked and rectified the problem in warrenty.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 09:42   #6471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Dont be bothered too much. just get it done. i had it done by the after market horns went kaput, so i reverted back to the originals there was a little vibrations coming from the car when i used the horn, got it checked by the FORD, they did notice that i had after markets but they checked and rectified the problem in warrenty.
You are lucky that they did not void your warranty, its actually up to the service guys. They can report or choose not to report the matter and log it in their database.

But we have an advantage here, Ford do not have a central database system for service, so if you have lost your warranty @ one service agent, then you can revert back to original horn and try servicing at a new service station, that service team will not have a clue that service agent 1 had void your warranty.

Last edited by limited-edition : 11th April 2012 at 10:07.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:20   #6472
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure about this? As per my knowledge, they do have a consolidated central repository that contains information from across service centers & dealers, just like Maruti.

I say this because during the recent purchase I had made, my Ford dealer was quick to tell me certain details about a friend's car that gets serviced at Bhagat Ford, Bathinda & I believe he did not get that information on phone, at least not in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
You are lucky that they did not void your warranty, its actually up to the service guys. They can report or choose not to report the matter and log it in their database.

But we have an advantage here, Ford do not have a central database system for service, so if you have lost your warranty @ one service agent, then you can revert back to original horn and try servicing at a new service station, that service team will not have a clue that service agent 1 had void your warranty.
@ALL: Guys, do any of you feel the fuel sploshing around in the tank while driving? It's a strange sound/feeling that arises even on the smallest of undulations on the road, or say when the car suddenly comes to a halt.
I am quite surprised because I never had this in my Alto or any other cars.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 11th April 2012 at 10:28.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:29   #6473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Are you sure about this? As per my knowledge, they do have a consolidated central repository that contains information from across service centers & dealers, just like Maruti.

I say this because during the recent purchase I had made, my Ford dealer was quick to tell me certain details about a friend's car that gets serviced at Bhagat Ford, Bathinda & he did not get on the phone with anyone.
I did not ask any service agent, but I am quite sure that they do not have a central database. I will quote an incident that I had witnessed.

My friend has a fiesta which was bought in Calicut and maintained in Cochin. His 2nd service was done @ calicut, all the rest @ cochin itself. When he went for his 3rd service (cochin) they did ask if he had done his second service, he said he did it @ calicut, then they advised him that he must save the service receipt, at this time I asked the agent if he can't pull the receipt from his computer. He told me that they cannot access it, it will be calicut service center only.

They do have a central Database for vehicle owner details and all, they all can check our address phone number etc from this, but not service information I guess.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:12   #6474
BHPian

[/quote]@ALL: Guys, do any of you feel the fuel sploshing around in the tank while driving? It's a strange sound/feeling that arises even on the smallest of undulations on the road, or say when the car suddenly comes to a halt.
I am quite surprised because I never had this in my Alto or any other cars.[/quote]

This could be some water trapped in drains below the windscreen or thereabouts.
Do you park your car below a tree with small leaves?

They may have choked your the drains, please get it cleared immediately. If this not the cause of the noise, a fuel tank clean up MAY, the solution.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 11th April 2012 at 11:13. Reason: typo
Old 11th April 2012, 11:33   #6475
Senior - BHPian

I actually park my car the exact same place as the earlier car & it is not under a tree. Moreover, the Figo is usually covered on most occasions when it is parked & not in use. So, I think I would rule out the possibility of any clogging, be it due to dust or leaves.

Any other areas that I could check?

@ALL: Is the Figo's fuel tank design different to that of other cars? What I am particularly interested in is if the other cars have some sort of divisions within the fuel tank to contain the movement of fuel inside it, while the Figo does not have any such provision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
This could be some water trapped in drains below the windscreen or thereabouts.
Do you park your car below a tree with small leaves?

They may have choked your the drains, please get it cleared immediately. If this not the cause of the noise, a fuel tank clean up MAY, the solution.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 11th April 2012 at 11:35.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:34   #6476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey guys, by default Figo comes with a single horn which is not even good to get the dogs to move out of the way on our roads . Ford dealers were non-committal in upgrading it for me and told me that I can get it done outside without voiding electrical warranty as long as I dont get any wires cut.

When I went to get it upgraded outside, they found the horn connector to be quite a custom design and said cant upgrade without atleast removing the wire insulation. I have left it untouched for now due to warranty concerns. Any inputs or ideas on how to handle this? I dont think I can wait 3 yrs for warranty to get over to do this. I will go nuts by then.
Well, I have Aug 2010' model and the single dual tone horn I have is quite loud. The trick to fix a second horn is to give it a complete different wiring and switch since the original horn wiring cannot be used.
I have got it done in my car by fixing a seperate switch on the bottom of the headlamp knob and a relay and wiring which is not connected to the cars wiring at all. The horn is a Stebel Nautilius and works perfectly for highway use. I can upload pictures of the switch and horn location if you want to see how it is.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 12:12   #6477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Well, I have Aug 2010' model and the single dual tone horn I have is quite loud. The trick to fix a second horn is to give it a complete different wiring and switch since the original horn wiring cannot be used.
I have got it done in my car by fixing a seperate switch on the bottom of the headlamp knob and a relay and wiring which is not connected to the cars wiring at all. The horn is a Stebel Nautilius and works perfectly for highway use. I can upload pictures of the switch and horn location if you want to see how it is.
That is an interesting idea Tharian, it will be great if you can share some pics if its not too much effort. Also let me know who did the wiring for you. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:21   #6478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
That is an interesting idea Tharian, it will be great if you can share some pics if its not too much effort. Also let me know who did the wiring for you. Thanks in advance.
Here you go,

The frist one shows the location of the horn in the engine bay. It is right below the fan. I could not locate the relay.
The horn switch is a Honda Activa start button and it is fixed onto the cover that opens . You will need to get the cutting down by a guy who knows what he is doing or it will be a mess. It is a pretty simple job but if you are fixing dual horns , you will need to secure it well since mounting locations are not many in the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img258.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img259.jpg  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 17:07   #6479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Here you go,

The frist one shows the location of the horn in the engine bay. It is right below the fan. I could not locate the relay.
The horn switch is a Honda Activa start button and it is fixed onto the cover that opens . You will need to get the cutting down by a guy who knows what he is doing or it will be a mess. It is a pretty simple job but if you are fixing dual horns , you will need to secure it well since mounting locations are not many in the engine bay.
thanks Tharian. I have a got a good idea now. I spoke to a service supervisor in ford dealership and he also kind of said (unofficially) that horn upgrade was acceptable modification if done cleanly and better to put 2nd set of good quality wires without messing with existing ones, that way wiring warranty does not go incase of any short ckt or burning.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:18   #6480
Senior - BHPian

Sorry no offence but this is a funny way of installing horns. this reminds of Punjab road ways buses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks