Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 11:41   #6391
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Hi all,
I've a rather strange query. Does anyone notice a slight shudder from the car's body while travelling at 80-90kph on an empty highway? Once crossing 90kph, it goes away. I can't understand if it's vibration from engine, or it's aero turbulence (may be some flaw with aerodynamic design of the car). I'm talking about aero turbulence because if there is a vehicle in front, there's no shuddering but could be my imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also about your "Downshift to Overtake" procedure, ... As sometimes downshifting may also result in jerks and slowing down.
You're quite correct. Downshifting might also damage the engine because of mismatched RPM and speed. It's better to simply wait a bit for speed to increase. Of course, one can always learn to prepare in advance for quick overtaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
P.s how much mileage are you getting out of your car?
Sorry but I've a petrol Figo

Last edited by DevilsCry : 27th March 2012 at 11:42. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 27th March 2012, 11:47   #6392
BHPian

Again, one more irritating problem during my Figo ownership. I was driving down to Calicut, Kerala with my family and in-laws on 23rd of this month. During the drive, the AC stopped working and the cabin was getting warm (Kerala summer is not very kind). Had to drive around 120km with windows rolled down; hot air blast in the cabin. Got home, and it seemed like the AC clutch was not engaging. The fan was working and also the paned lights of the AC were functional. Checked out the AC clutch fuse (F4 inside the glove compartment fuse box). It was not broken. Cleaned the contact area and inserted the fuse back and voila, the AC started working again. It was indeed the AC clutch, which was not engaged even after pressing the AC ON switch.
The after effect of the problem was a fatigued driver (myself) and a comment from my spouse - "Why can't Ford make the Figo as reliable as Hyundai has made our Santro?"
Old 27th March 2012, 12:06   #6393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
Hi all,
I've a rather strange query. Does anyone notice a slight shudder from the car's body while travelling at 80-90kph on an empty highway? Once crossing 90kph, it goes away. I can't understand if it's vibration from engine, or it's aero turbulence (may be some flaw with aerodynamic design of the car). I'm talking about aero turbulence because if there is a vehicle in front, there's no shuddering but could be my imagination.

You're quite correct. Downshifting might also damage the engine because of mismatched RPM and speed. It's better to simply wait a bit for speed to increase. Of course, one can always learn to prepare in advance for quick overtaking.

Sorry but I've a petrol Figo
Haha me too petrol family friend just wanted to see if anyones getting better mileage than that and if so how. And about your shudder I havent felt it. I think mayb you are switching on the ac during that time hence that reduction in the engine output and hence the vibration.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 27th March 2012 at 12:11.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:08   #6394
Senior - BHPian

After around 8000 KMs after the said "upgrade", my figo stalled again! :(
Old 27th March 2012, 12:33   #6395
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Sorry to hear. Did you escalate to FIL and what is their response?
Old 27th March 2012, 13:39   #6396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Try getting your figo checked by the ford guys. Mine too had a particular rattle at a particular rpm. Problem was detected as rubbing of metal fuel pipes in the engine compartment. These pipes are behind the diesel fuel filter and the fuse box (behind the battery) just close to the firewall which separates the engine from the sitting area. The guy increased the gap between the pipes and the problem was sorted out.
thanks for input Diesel Lover, will get it checked by the dealer soon.

By the way guys, I have done about 1000km on my diesel Figo and i see that the engine oil is already quite dark in colour. As per Ford they dont do oil change till 2nd service at 10000km but i am thinking that when i give for 1st servicing i will insist on an oil change. Any thoughts?
Old 27th March 2012, 13:45   #6397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Sorry to hear. Did you escalate to FIL and what is their response?
I reported it to SC Manager. He just asked me to observe it and get back and meanwhile he would discuss with RSM. Let's see what happens!

By the way I just crossed 30K, a lot of under belly incidents of late. Ended with a small dent on the exhaust pipe too. Looks like the suspension is not as stiff as it was before. And the huge humps that are infesting Pune of late are not helping my case either. Will update soon on my ownership thread!

Otherwise a fab car. I am getting 17.5 with 80% a/c.
Old 27th March 2012, 14:06   #6398
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the engine stalling thing surfacing again. Keep this thread posted about any developments.

As for your car's suspension, there are two things that can be done:

1. The age old cheap solution of installing rubber mounts in the rear suspension. The ones that are available in the market are usually larger than what's required & so you would either need to get yours fabricated or make some adjustments to the ones available off the shelf.

NOTE: Our own BHPian tried it but experienced under-body scraping at the front afterwards, but that could be because he used the standard sized ones available in the market.

2. Get new shockers from Ford, if it is the shockers that have been stiffened in the newer Figos for which owners have reported no such issues. Or a cheaper way could be to simply get a pair of harder springs from some reputed manufacturer like Gabriel etc.

Drive safe.

Quote:
I reported it to SC Manager. He just asked me to observe it and get back and meanwhile he would discuss with RSM. Let's see what happens!

By the way I just crossed 30K, a lot of under belly incidents of late. Ended with a small dent on the exhaust pipe too. Looks like the suspension is not as stiff as it was before. And the huge humps that are infesting Pune of late are not helping my case either. Will update soon on my ownership thread!

Otherwise a fab car. I am getting 17.5 with 80% a/c.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:53   #6399

Hi All,

This is my second post which i am posting since i bought my figo. And wow what a journey it has been. I got my car on 21st Oct 2011, and till date, that is in 5 months i have completed about 13905 kms which averages to about 2800 kms per month. But what can i say figo has blown me away.
Gracia Ford !

I would like to share my experience with my jaguar for the past 5 months today. Because so much of talking has been done about the car i would limit my post here to what all cons i had found out in the car.

Ground clearance - though ford had worked on it on the newer cars and made the suspension stiffer. the car some times hits those mammoth speed breakers if your not careful. Probably i am expecting too much out a hatch back.

Rattles - some cheeky rattles creep up here and there from the rear doors. but i guess my jaguar heals it self and after a day or two i don't hear those rattles(just kidding).

Head lights - Because my car is Titanium model the fogs actually help a lot with the visibility . but i still feel that the head lights lack the punch if you don't use the fogs along. And also the lights are stopping me from putting on cr70 from 3m on my front wind shield. am i being too paranoid about it?

That's it about the cons ! And yes every car has its share of cons but this car has been keeping me happy since the day i have bought it. I feel its gives me a great driving experience.

Also thinking about getting some nice looking black colored alloys & a rear spoiler for my white Figo. any thoughts on this guys?
Old 28th March 2012, 01:24   #6400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Hound View Post
Hi All,

I would like to share my experience with my jaguar for the past 5 months today. Because so much of talking has been done about the car i would limit my post here to what all cons i had found out in the car.

Ground clearance - though ford had worked on it on the newer cars and made the suspension stiffer. the car some times hits those mammoth speed breakers if your not careful. Probably i am expecting too much out a hatch back.

Rattles - some cheeky rattles creep up here and there from the rear doors. but i guess my jaguar heals it self and after a day or two i don't hear those rattles(just kidding).

Head lights - Because my car is Titanium model the fogs actually help a lot with the visibility . but i still feel that the head lights lack the punch if you don't use the fogs along. And also the lights are stopping me from putting on cr70 from 3m on my front wind shield. am i being too paranoid about it?

That's it about the cons ! And yes every car has its share of cons but this car has been keeping me happy since the day i have bought it. I feel its gives me a great driving experience.

Also thinking about getting some nice looking black colored alloys & a rear spoiler for my white Figo. any thoughts on this guys?
Congrats sir. yeah after reading many reviews about bad headlight i got the fogs fitted to my EXI. Now after delivery while driving at night i feel that I have made right decision to get fog. They really help a lot. The stock headlights are totally useless in my opinion. Especially after driving my zen at 90/130 headlight, figo light feels like candle
Exact same reason is preventing me from going for a sunfilm on windshield. Unless i personally sit in figo with front sunfilm, i wont be buying for sure. Else lot of money would be wasted if visibility is hampered.

Figo isnt a sporty looking car, so spoiler In my Opinion is not really going to enhance beauty much. Yeah may be combined with black alloy might. You may want to do some Photoshop and check how it looks. Or do you have any pics of same.

Besides OEM spoilers cost 6.8K as far as i remember. Cheaper one might be available outside but not sure how good are they. My friends swift has this spoiler he got from outside for some 3.5K but it vibrates if you increase volume of ICE

Last edited by recshenoy : 28th March 2012 at 01:26.
Old 28th March 2012, 06:51   #6401
Senior - BHPian

^^ Quite surprisingly, I have found my Figo's headlights sufficing in most conditions that I have driven in till now. In fact, I have switched on the fogs only on a couple of occasions. I guess I should take the car out on the highway some time to gauge the true effectiveness of the headlamps.

By the way, do post up pics soon, at least I am eager to see them
The cause of eagerness is due to the occasion that makes the pictures all the more special. A newspaper print advertisement would also have pictures of the Figo but then these clicks with people smiling & happy about the new car that they have taken delivery of, is just what makes it beautiful.

And hey, which mud-flaps did you get installed on your Figo? Are they the OEM ones (hard types) or are they some other softer version? I am not sure if Ford has even come out with another design.
Old 28th March 2012, 08:36   #6402
BHPian

Headlights+fogs are pretty sufficient for me at this time. Since I got the fogs Installed, I use them all the time.

@recshenoy: Try fitting the Philips Extremevision bulbs of same wattage. You may get the desired intensity and throw.

Though the figo wears simple clothes, I like the way it is. Understated and Practical. IMO Too much sportiness eats Interior space. If you have to enhance its looks, Install good looking alloys, tints and of course the T-Bhp sticker.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:00   #6403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Hound View Post
OEM spoiler is not good looking. Go for aftermarket ones. A simple spoiler + black alloys-

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-262802_245725012119393_245658708792690_869758_6729851_n.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-185346_245750272116867_245658708792690_869838_1698492_n.jpg

A big spoiler-

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-205906_2327271385856_1371818387_2804405_351568_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
By the way, do post up pics soon
Your pics are also long over due (2-3 pics don't count). Since you have a black one, I want classic pics like the ones below

Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 4539
Size:  605.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Though the figo wears simple clothes, I like the way it is. Understated and Practical.
You sure?

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-185551_2327266585736_1371818387_2804401_7752052_n.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-285516_2327276345980_1371818387_2804410_8025688_n.jpg
Old 28th March 2012, 10:18   #6404
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! Even after getting the PCM hardware changed! Do keep us updated of all that is done to the car to tackle this problem.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:30   #6405
BHPian

Quote:
That's kinda bad to hear. Just when we thought the stalling issue is fixed for good.
Hope all other figos are running well. I had a recent job shift and now I'm in Hyderabad. My Figo joined me last week after a 3 month long separation. Did a TVM-BLR-HYD trip in 2 parts and the car just did great on the highways. Excellent highways they are by the way. The mileage returned was around 17.5 kmpl with speeds hovering around 110 kmph for most parts and with AC on 90% of the time.

My car last stalled when the odo read 9,000 KMS before getting the fuel injectors replaced and what not. Currently the odo reads 18,500 kms and it has not stalled ever since. I also got the new firmware upgrade done last week from the A.S.S. before leaving TVM. So hyd guys, if you spot a white Figo with a KL regn. number, most probably, it would be me.

Cheers to all.

Most Viewed