Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 12:31   #6301
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
4. On highways without divider during night, it's a nightmare to drive Figo due to oncoming full-beam headlamps. For emergency extra light, you can pull and hold left stalk one notch to simultaneously activate both low and high beam lights. This glows up street quite brilliantly, blowing away oncoming full-beam lights. Interesting! I've stock headlamps btw.
Good for you, but don NOT try it for more than 30 secs, or you will blow up the bulbs.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 18:56   #6302
BHPian

Quote:
3. Mileage - Figo > Vista (Liva's mileage is yet to be verified)
4. Confidence in managing potholes - Figo > Vista & Liva
wrt point no 3., Petrol Figo with the worst kind of driving style (like mine) would deliver 11kmpl, on the same front even if I drive sedatly I dont get more than 12kmpl with AC in Bangalore city.
I totally agree with point no. 4, Figo gives you the confidence to drive at high speeds on broken roads.
Old 13th March 2012, 19:13   #6303
BHPian

Quote:
What I miss - the feeling of a premium hatchback. It doesn't feel as premium as Liva or Vista.
Not sure on what counts you feel that Liva is a premium hatchback. IMHO, the Figo feels much more premium that Liva.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:01   #6304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Liva has quite cheap interior. How did you have a premium feel in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhuG View Post
Not sure on what counts you feel that Liva is a premium hatchback. IMHO, the Figo feels much more premium that Liva.
It's quite hard for me to decide which feels more premium - Figo vs Liva. Yes, Liva's plastics are horrible but in Liva-
1. Lighter interior shade
2. More space
3. The mindset "I'm in a Toyota. It's a premium brand in India"
4. Ease of driving thanks to large RPM range of each gears
5. Comfortable gliding over potholes at low speed

These factors makes Liva feel more premium than Figo. But on the other hand, in Figo-
1. Better interior plastics
2. Real rear seats (and not just park bench)
3. The mindset "I'm driving a Ford who makes true cars and not just box on wheels"
4. Ease of driving in city thanks to good low-end torque in petrol and minimum turbo-lag in diesel
5. Supreme confidence and comfort while smashing through potholes at high speed

These factors make Figo feel more premium than Liva. Looks like they are closely/evenly matched. I take back my words "What I miss - the feeling of a premium hatchback. It doesn't feel as premium as Liva or Vista." They more or less equal in "feeling" factor. I definitely remember hating Figo after doing TD of Etios petrol and then hating doing TD of Liva petrol after owning Figo for 4 months.

Hey sups,
I read your post on Liva's thread. After having discussion with fellow Figo owners here, I came to assume that Figo was silently updated in Sept'11 which made improvements in suspension and ECU settings along with other changes like headlamp cluster. This could be the reason you found new Figo to be much better than older one. Not sure if Figo ages faster. No one here to testify for the same. Older Fords (Ikon and Fusion) are known not to rattle or age easily but so also are Toyotas. Figo, being based on Fiesta platform (which has Ikon, Fusion and Fiesta Classic) can be assumed to withstand ageing pretty good. Not sure about Etios/Liva. Yes, they look flimsy but looks can be deceiving.

I see that you also did TD of Etios. While hunting for a new car, I had done TD of Etios and liked it better than Figo. But a lot of things put me off as well, like tractor-like sound from engine and pathetic AC (may be Figo's AC raised my standard during TD).

Overall feeling was - Etios > Figo > Liva.

I've read that insulation in Etios and Liva have been improved since then. This might make Liva better than Figo. New Dzire is expected to be better in terms of backseat ride but alas, there's no chance that you can get it before the price hike so it's out. You're in quite tight spot. All the best in picking one by next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
wrt point no 3., Petrol Figo with the worst kind of driving style (like mine) would deliver 11kmpl, on the same front even if I drive sedatly I dont get more than 12kmpl with AC in Bangalore city.
I totally agree with point no. 4, Figo gives you the confidence to drive at high speeds on broken roads.
I was talking about diesel ones. But in case of petrol, I'm not sure either. If we take cardekho.com to be reference, the figures are as following for petrol versions-
Figo - 12.5 - 15.5 kmpl
Vista - 12.1 - 15.8 kmpl

Yes, I know that in case of Figo, the actual figure is more like 11-15kpl (since I own one) but same could be true about Vista too. Then I assume, their mileage to be equal in their petrol avatars. It's logical too. Vista is as heavy as Figo (1035kg vs Figo's 1040kg) and has even punier engine (65PS@5500RPM and 96Nm@3000RPM vs Figo's 71PS@6250RPM and 102Nm@4000RPM).

Last edited by DevilsCry : 13th March 2012 at 20:04. Reason: Grammar correction
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 21:04   #6305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
3. One night on highway, I kept smashing through countless dangerous potholes at speeds of 90kph due to darkness. Each hit sounded like as if something broke off. All four tyres had to be refilled with air for quite long time the next morning. Other than it, no problem was noticed..
One such dark rainy night, I too hit a pothole with a nice thud, probably at 80-90kph and ended up with a bent rim and immediate loss of pressure. Had to change the tyre in pouring rain. At least that day I wished for tubed tyres.

Today I found out that my fogs are not working.
Old 13th March 2012, 23:13   #6306
Team-BHP Support

I drove a Figo TDCI from Belgaum to Bangalore yesterday. Being a Vrs owner, I thought the journey would be slow and tedious.

I was wrong, keep the turbo on the boil and the car cruises at 120 easily. Good brakes and handling means that this package is unbeatable
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 10:27   #6307
BHPian

First the fogs, now the stalling bug also hit me after 22months of ownership.
Morning, on the way to office, slowed down at a junction,pressed the clutch to shift to 2nd and there goes, steering is hard and all the lights lighting up in the dash. Luckily, the traffic was thin.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:35   #6308
BHPian

Have you got the ECU upgrade done?
Old 14th March 2012, 15:59   #6309
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I was wrong, keep the turbo on the boil and the car cruises at 120 easily. Good brakes and handling means that this package is unbeatable
Yes. Earlier niggles reported are almost sorted out and Figo performs exceptionally well now. The owners who bought earlier suffer from GC problems, squeaks, poor headlights. Stalling is immediately fixed if reported to the SC. Titanium is worth buying at 6.8L (approx).
It seems now the competition is between Liva & Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Morning, on the way to office, slowed down at a junction,pressed the clutch to shift to 2nd and there goes, steering is hard and all the lights lighting up in the dash. Luckily, the traffic was thin.
Please get this addressed immediately as it involves high amount of risk.
Old 15th March 2012, 00:16   #6310
BHPian

@blow horn & RGK - This is the first time I am having the problem in nearly last 2 yrs. So I have not done the ECU upgrade. Now I will have to get it done ASAP.
Old 15th March 2012, 07:23   #6311
BHPian

Stalling issue happened with me only once around 8-9 months back. That was the first & last time i experienced it. Keeping my fingers crossed. Its good to hear that most of the initial niggles are sorted out now. What early buyers gained was the lower introductory pricing. IMO Even after the price increase, figo remains a strong VFM contender in bustling hatch market.

To be true, this car introduced me to what exactly 'handling & dynamics' is. Simply like the way it inspires confidence to drive at high speeds. May be my feeling is exaggerated, since i used to own a own a Omni & Indica. The precise steering lets you know every move very clearly. It seems i am so much bugged by the 'handling' thing that I can't imagine myself owning a vehicle with poor dynamics & handling; no matter how popular or suitable it is.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 15th March 2012 at 07:37.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 10:56   #6312
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Read comments that “figo lamps are not so powerful”. Adding bumper lamps (so called fog lamps) will help?

I am getting Figo EXI next week.

Requested to paint mirror + door handle white. Dealer quoted 1.8K for same.
For fogs (bumper lights) quote was 3.8K
Also chrome for front, rear and indicator lamps was quoted at 1.6K
3M sun film was quoted 3.5k vs garware for around 2Kodd

Are these prices reasonable!

Do we get after market fogs, Any idea what is the cost of same ?
Paint work for handle and mirror I thought it’s better to get it done at dealership due to color matching (diamond white) else they might look bad. Any thoughts? 1.8K looks expensive to me, any idea if it’s cheaper to be done outside?
Old 15th March 2012, 14:20   #6313
BHPian

1.8k for the paint job is pretty reasonable i guess. Get it done at the ASSC itself. I was quoted 2.5 k for the same. Fogs were installed at Rs. 3010/- all inclusive. I was told that there would be warranty issues if I install after market electrical components like a fog lamp. After installation, i find it pretty useful. I got the front grill chrome applique installed @ around Rs. 300/-. No Idea about side indicators and hatch. Also get the door sills/scuff plates installed. IMO its necessary to prevent shoe scratches.

What have you planned for the ICE?
Old 15th March 2012, 15:00   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Good for you, but don NOT try it for more than 30 secs, or you will blow up the bulbs.
I have been ding this consistently for the last 2 years. Have not faced any issue. I think that is the only way to get some usable light from the Figo headlamp cluster. IMO anyone can continue using this without any kind of issues.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:17   #6315
BHPian

I have a Nov 2011 EXI TDCi
I am feeling a definite need for a boot/cargo area lamp.

I checked out the my EXi's cargo area and there is a rubber component plugged in the place where a cargo/boot lamp should have been( on the right hand side, under the place where the parcel tray gets snap-fitted).
Also, the bootlamp price did not figure in any of the figo spare list IIRC.

Has anyone fixed a Cargo lamp in their Exi/Lxi? Does the wiring exist?
Would be of help to current Exi / LXi owners and prospective buyers too. Thx!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks