Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 13:41   #6286
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Do you think it will meet the reliability issue in long run like a toyota or a ford? Thats the only point holding me back. Anyway, I will check it once.
Vista is a pretty proven product especially with the FIAT engine and gear box. The current model is the 3rd generation of the Vista and Tata seems to have ironed out most issues progressively. You may have small niggles like power window switch failure, combination switch failures etc. TML is very good in taking care of warranty issues and you being in Pune, you should not have issues with immediate spare parts availability and most of these spare parts are dirt cheap. ORVMs, combination swithces, tail lamp cluster cost Rs 1000 odd only. Doing a PDI is very important on Tata cars and if you maintain them well, they will age well. If you read about ownership reports of Vista on this forum, most of them seems very satisfied.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 18:29   #6287
Senior - BHPian

Folks
I got a call from Fortune Ford stating that the prices are increasing from March 16th in AP, as below:-
  1. 2% increase in life tax for both petrol and diesel Figos
  2. Around Rs 50000 extra excise on the diesel Figo
Thought of sharing with you all.

Last edited by vnabhi : 9th March 2012 at 18:41.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:51   #6288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think it will meet the reliability issue in long run like a toyota or a ford? Thats the only point holding me back. Anyway, I will check it once.
Yes it will. I agree that Toyota products are known for their reliability & though Tata may still have to cover a distance in this aspect but their products are not all that bad either. The Vista is good at its core & the taxi operators in my area vouch for the Indica & Vista. Plus, at least at my place, I was getting a very good deal on the Vista but the only reason I went for the Figo was because I personally don't like the center console & also that I find the conservative shape of the Figo more suited to my liking.

Both Figo & Vista are equally good products. The interiors though on the Vista are much better than the Figo (my personal observation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks
I got a call from Fortune Ford stating that the prices are increasing from March 16th in AP, as below:-
  1. 2% increase in life tax for both petrol and diesel Figos
  2. Around Rs 50000 extra excise on the diesel Figo
Thought of sharing with you all.
Well, the initial proposal was to impose an excise duty of 82K on diesel cars costing between 6-10 lacs & 1.25 lacs for those costing above 10 lacs (Source:ET). So, this might be true to an extent, though the amount may be a little less or a little more.

But I don't remember reading anything about an increase in road tax. Maybe I missed out something.

Thanks for sharing mate!

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 9th March 2012 at 19:53.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 23:26   #6289
BHPian

Quote:
Like many others, I am in search of a new diesel hatch back with the following priorities:
1. Onroad price within 6.5L (can adjust another 20-30K) with ABS in Pune
2. Good space and back seat comfort within city speed of less than or equal to 60 km/hr. My wife and son will be driven a lot in this car in City.
3. Should be easy to drive as I will be driving it over the week ends. I am a relaxed driver by the way.
4. Good fuel efficiency
5. Should be very reliable as my 55K odo Getz 1.3L petrol
6. I am ready to compromise on looks, interior, music system if the above requirement is met.

It seems I am tilting towards Liva. Need to have one more test drive of both the cars. Should I check Vista also? I am not sure.
Since you already are veering towards the Liva, go for it. You could consider the Punto Dynamic variant for another 30K ( ~6.89 OTR Pune ), but the interior plastics feel worse than the Figo. The Vista is VFM and very spacious, great for family needs but to me , do not inspire much confidence , and don't feel like driver's cars.

Last edited by Ricci : 9th March 2012 at 23:30.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 21:02   #6290
BHPian

Many thanks to all of you for your comments.

Today I testdrove Liva again and Visa VX for the first time. Liva seemed to be more powerful to me, again got impressed with the steering directness. But after driving Getz for last 5 years, I did not find any betterment in the suspension part (infact Getz is slightly better), though body roll at the back is well controlled. Liva test drive car was a 2011 model and sound insulation is bad. Vista really scores in the sound insulation part, the difference is day and night. The rear seats are more comfy in Vista. But Vista steering is not as direct as Liva. Also, Vista absorbs the potholes better. Interms of high speed stability, neither Liva not Vista comes close to Figo which gives lot more confidence to go over potholes at high speed. The rear seat of Vista has some floatiness even at low speed. Is it usual?

I am now thoroughlly confused, as I will have to decide by next week before the price hike. The Vista sales guy has given me a best price of 6.1L on road which is pretty good.
Old 12th March 2012, 13:37   #6291
Senior - BHPian

Hi Figo Owners,
I would be going for PDI of my Figo sometime this week. I have team bhp PDI check list handy. Is there anything specifically to be chcked during PDI of Figo? Kindly advice.

Btw, even my dealer said that there will be a price hike on 16th (2%). Hence requested me to process loan ASAP. Hence quickly applied for car loan at SBI and will try to complete payment by 15th.
Old 12th March 2012, 15:15   #6292
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the good news!

As for the PDI, the list provided on this forum takes care of most aspects including keeping the sales personnel happy. So you should be fine.

What's the deal offered to you in terms of final on-road price & freebies? Also, could I request you to kindly take note of the area on the rear hatch door just above the number plate. I had mentioned some posts earlier about how that area looks quite different in terms of paint quality than the surrounding body. A couple of other members also echoed the same observation. Please note this in your car & do share what you felt.

By the way, what colour have you finalized upon?

And lastly, do share the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Hi Figo Owners,
I would be going for PDI of my Figo sometime this week. I have team bhp PDI check list handy. Is there anything specifically to be chcked during PDI of Figo? Kindly advice.

Btw, even my dealer said that there will be a price hike on 16th (2%). Hence requested me to process loan ASAP. Hence quickly applied for car loan at SBI and will try to complete payment by 15th.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:34   #6293
BHPian

I have done 32k km on my Figo in almost 23 months and my all tyres have shown a wearing signs. Is that happened to anybody??
Old 12th March 2012, 19:52   #6294
BHPian

Went to a nearby city in West Bengal which is 140 kms round trip from my residence. I feared the roads would be in bad shape even after the city limits, but was surprised to see fresh tarred stretches almost 90% of the distance. Road inside of WB border is simply flat and mind blowing. For the first time i drove my car at speeds excess of 140 kmph. The car felt out of breath post 145 but it was fun until that speed. The high speed grip, handling and feedback is simply great. Pick-up was good and i was able to put many SUv's& Muv's on the rear view mirror, which is very difficult under the city limits due to excessive bad road conditions. The car simply zoomed and i forgot every creak and rattle. I thought the brakes won't perform well at high speeds but i was wrong. They inspired good confidence and i could modulate them very well. Didn't experience any sort of brake fade.

@hiren959: IMO tyre wearing signs at 32k kms is normal. What is the extent of tyre wear? Post a pic if you can.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 12th March 2012 at 20:09.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:57   #6295
BHPian

Entering the TDCI club soon now, having booked one this weekend. Since I am a die hard diesel fan, couldn't resist buying the best handling diesel hatchback along side new swift.

Had td many vehicles including Petrol but in the end decided on Figo TDCI Titanium and ended up with a good deal too.

Delivery in a couple of days , so I will update once its through. Any specific suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 13th March 2012, 00:45   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Congrats on the good news!

As for the PDI, the list provided on this forum takes care of most aspects including keeping the sales personnel happy. So you should be fine.

And lastly, do share the pics
thanks sir. My figo is white colored one. yeah will look for any color mis match as well.

OTR is 6.15 in Karnataka for Figo EXI Got free 3rd year warranty, sun film and mats free. (10K in total).

I have plans to get the ORVM and door handle painted to white so that they are body colored. also planning to add that chrome strip at front.

Need to search for a simple music system as well. Not yet decided on which one to go. a simple one with 4 speakers plus SD/USB/AUX thats all. No need for CD. and I dont need high bass etc. a simple setup is what i am looking for. I will check in Audio section as well, but before that just checking if folks can suggest anything quickly here.

Also need to look for good alloys as well. Saw some awesome ones in alloy section which confused me even more

Yeah pics with detailed report will be on once car is delivered. its my duty to write detailed report on team bhp for sure for the help this wonderful forum has offered me.
Old 13th March 2012, 01:17   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Hey mate,

Congrats on the decision, it is a wise purchase. What's the colour?

Do keep a track of the ODO reading on the car & also share this little detail here.

What is the final price & deal offered to you?

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Entering the TDCI club soon now, having booked one this weekend. Since I am a die hard diesel fan, couldn't resist buying the best handling diesel hatchback along side new swift.

Had td many vehicles including Petrol but in the end decided on Figo TDCI Titanium and ended up with a good deal too.

Delivery in a couple of days , so I will update once its through. Any specific suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:00   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Need to search for a simple music system as well. Not yet decided on which one to go. a simple one with 4 speakers plus SD/USB/AUX thats all. No need for CD. and I dont need high bass etc. a simple setup is what i am looking for. I will check in Audio section as well, but before that just checking if folks can suggest anything quickly here.
I would suggest to get a JVC (KD-X40) / Pioneer (MVH-1490UB) / JBL (X-333) for HU. Get a pair of components at front doors and Co-axials at rear doors. For the speakers, you need to get them installed in MDF spacer rings, as it would be difficult to source OEM size (5*7) speakers for figo.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:04   #6299
BHPian

Hi all,

Though I should share the following observations with you-
1. I carried 7 people (me included and 5 persons in back seat) with 5 airport-type luggage and 5 laptop bags. It was no problem! No one complained about space or AC. The puny 1.2L engine didn't complain even with AC running.
2. Without AC, Figo's interior is always too hot. Even during winters, I need AC. Earlier I thought that sunfilms would solve the problem but I see that Figo's interior gets quite hot during nights too. The con of having huge glass area + black interiors, it seems.
3. One night on highway, I kept smashing through countless dangerous potholes at speeds of 90kph due to darkness. Each hit sounded like as if something broke off. All four tyres had to be refilled with air for quite long time the next morning. Other than it, no problem was noticed.
4. On highways without divider during night, it's a nightmare to drive Figo due to oncoming full-beam headlamps. For emergency extra light, you can pull and hold left stalk one notch to simultaneously activate both low and high beam lights. This glows up street quite brilliantly, blowing away oncoming full-beam lights. Interesting! I've stock headlamps btw.

Quote:
I am now thoroughlly confused, as I will have to decide by next week before the price hike. The Vista sales guy has given me a best price of 6.1L on road which is pretty good.
Your situation is quite tough one.
1. Space and comfort - Vista > Figo & Liva
2. Ease of driving - Liva > Figo & Vista
3. Mileage - Figo > Vista (Liva's mileage is yet to be verified)
4. Confidence in managing potholes - Figo > Vista & Liva
5. Reliability - Grey area for all cars

Why reliability is a grey area for all three cars?
  • Vista - Tata. Enough said. Even after so many positive reports on T-BHP, my confidence in Tata is not too great. But I've to agree that Vista is still going to be quite cheap to maintain (services and spare parts) than Figo and Liva.
  • Figo - Even though it's oldest and most proven (being 2002 Fiesta), it's still a Ford. While quite reliable for life and low on maintenance for first few years, who knows what might happen after 4 years. Due to Ford's history in India, I'm not quite confident about Figo's maintenance after 4 years.
  • Liva- Too new product. Not proven yet. It's also cheapest Toyota so can't be sure if it is going to hold on Toyota's reliability image. I would not like to be part of Toyota's R&D.
Conclusion- A tie among all three.

What would I suggest? Which car feels most nice to drive? Pick that one. You can't go wrong in any of the three cars. In my case, I bought a Ford Figo mainly due to two reasons-
1. Terrific value for money
2. Complete package, having everything I could ask for.

What I miss - the feeling of a premium hatchback. It doesn't feel as premium as Liva or Vista.
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 12:25   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Your situation is quite tough one.
1. Space and comfort - Vista > Figo & Liva
2. Ease of driving - Liva > Figo & Vista
3. Mileage - Figo > Vista (Liva's mileage is yet to be verified)
4. Confidence in managing potholes - Figo > Vista & Liva
5. Reliability - Grey area for all cars

What I miss - the feeling of a premium hatchback. It doesn't feel as premium as Liva or Vista.
I have posted my comments here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-10.html

Liva has quite cheap interior. How did you have a premium feel in it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks