Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:58   #6196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post

Sea Grey has left me confused now Black or the Sea Grey???

Another question, I'm gonna buy the Titanium .

Secondly, What other accessories should be planned?
My list already has
1. MapMyIndia
2. Maybe a Head Unit change ? Would that make sense or ?

3. Sun-film ? What percentage and what model?

4. Is Teflon coat necessary ?

I've read far too much and its getting overwhelming. Hence just shouting out aloud for HELP.

And , Its MY first car ( My heart just skipped a beat while typing it, I almost want to put an heart around it , Sorry)
Color is a personal choice. I like the black, but sea gray will be easier to maintain.

Sunfilm - depending on your budget, look at Garware, LLumar - try to get something with heat rejection as priority - it will really help, especially in the summers.

About the HU, it is pretty feature packed. It only makes sense if you are going to upgrade and get a touchscreen unit with bluetooth and inbuilt GPS. Otherwise, get the speakers changed instead, and be happy.

Avoid teflon coating. Instead, get her polished by a professional once every 3 months.

Does the figo Titanium come with alloys and fogs?

I believe you will need better bulbs, as many found them inadequate. You could try Osram Night Breaker plus.
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:59   #6197
BHPian

Quote:
Sea Grey has left me confused now: Black or the Sea Grey???
Given that it's your first car, pick Sea Grey. Black is a nightmare to maintain. Scratches and swirls (while cleaning it) are most easily visible on black among all colors.

Quote:
Another question, I'm gonna buy the Titanium.
It's supposed to be a question?

Quote:
You can think about accessories later. Aftermarket accessories are both cheaper and better than OEM ones. Why not just focus on buying car first?

Teflone coating? GTO's quote about the same-
Quote:
Teflon really isn't suited for our harsh weather either. The coating on the roof of my Esteem entirely cracked up (thanks to being parked under direct sun). It looked horrible thanks to the millions of fragments that the teflon broke into. Teflon is rubbish and only serves the purpose of making the dealer's cash registers ring.

I would say no to teflon even if a dealer paid me for it. Want to really keep your car looking good? Polish it ever so often (once in 6 months at the minimum).
Unlike other cars, your Figo already comes with a great Head Unit. No need to change it.
Old 3rd March 2012, 16:52   #6198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Color is a personal choice. I like the black, but sea gray will be easier to maintain.

Sunfilm - depending on your budget, look at Garware, LLumar - try to get something with heat rejection as priority - it will really help, especially in the summers.

Avoid teflon coating. Instead, get her polished by a professional once every 3 months.

Does the figo Titanium come with alloys and fogs?

I believe you will need better bulbs, as many found them inadequate. You could try Osram Night Breaker plus.
Thanks Lamborghini. To answer your question, yes the Titanium comes with the Alloys and the Fog Lamps. Whether they are Front or Rear , Ill have to check

Sunfilm- The dealer has Garware. but isnt 3M supposed to be the best. Somebody will have to guide me about this .

What are the specs for Osram Night Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Given that it's your first car, pick Sea Grey. Black is a nightmare to maintain. Scratches and swirls (while cleaning it) are most easily visible on black among all colors.

It's supposed to be a question?

You can think about accessories later. Aftermarket accessories are both cheaper and better than OEM ones. Why not just focus on buying car first?

Teflone coating? GTO's quote about the same-

Unlike other cars, your Figo already comes with a great Head Unit. No need to change it.

Thanks DevilsCry. Firstly, The question was to be posted after that . But I think I've lost my mind So you'll just have to call me Stupid.

As far the Color choice goes. The reason mentioned by both you and lamborghini is the one why I'm thinking sea grey. I guess Ill have to wait and see both colors standing side by side once.

I am not much into accessories. I just want to ensure all the absolute necessary ones are present. I guess a better way for me to put forth my request would be, which ones are the most essential . I am going through the list on the "MUST HAVE ACCESSORIES" thread . But I've got too much to do and such little time

Teflon Coat : Is 3M UV Protection the same thing ?
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:06   #6199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Lamborghini. To answer your question, yes the Titanium comes with the Alloys and the Fog Lamps. Whether they are Front or Rear , Ill have to check

Sunfilm- The dealer has Garware. but isnt 3M supposed to be the best. Somebody will have to guide me about this .

What are the specs for Osram Night Breakers?
Osram Night Breaker Plus is 55/60W IIRC. They're quite good from personal experience - huge difference after I put them on in the W211's high beam.

So alloys, and fogs are there. Would be front fogs mostly. That's great!
Also, the HU is pretty decent, so unless you want something fancy, avoid changing it. Get better speakers in a year or two rather.

There are various types of tints available in the market. Garware is among the more cost effective, and depending on the brand, the budget increases. Personally, I don't feel there is a significant difference between a 5K tint, and a 15K tint - as long as it has good levels of heat rejection and protection. So figure out what specifications and colors the dealer's tint is going to be.

So at the moment, just look for sunfilm, mapmyindia, and bulb upgrade as essentials.
Once you start getting a little bored of the car, you can always consider new alloys and tyres, a tuning box, better speakers, seat covers, etc.
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:16   #6200
BHPian

Hi all,
I updated my ownership thread with a post on how I clean my Figo. Interested people may head to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2701497.

Hey rk206,
I disagree with lamborghini regarding headlamp bulbs. Initial batch of Figo's had night visibility issues. Newer Figo owners don't complain about the same. So there's no need for headlamp upgrades.
I don't know much about 3M UV protection. But honestly, forget all kinds of paint protection. Do you seriously think that a 5-6 lac car's paint needs silly protections? And plus, Figo's paint quality is much higher, in league of Accord/Camry IMO.
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:33   #6201
BHPian

Quote:

It is not a question of Garware or 3M. There are many versions in Garware & 3M with different visibility & heat rejection capability. Some of them (from my perspective & usage) is as good as the equivalent 3M if not better and will be cheaper. All 3M versions are pretty good unlike Garwares whose lower ends are crap and to compound it, there are lot of fakes around. If you get the top end Garwares from a reputed Garware dealer, it should be good.

You can get the catalogue from a dealer & 3M web site for both products, compare the cost vs feature and then decide.

Quote:
Teflon Coat : Is 3M UV Protection the same thing ?
Actually it is not the same but most of the dealers don't understand the difference and usually sell 3M polish or 3M paint protection as Teflon. Teflon seems not suitable for Indian condition based on experience with my friends Teflon coated i10, which faced the same as GTO (some body quoted in this thread) . If I recall correctly, Dupont Teflon coating is unavailable in India any more.

3M offers paint protection for new cars, which is good from my experience if done correctly. Some dealers do a 3M polish that costs less than Rs 1000 and sell it as Teflon. Bottom line is if a dealer is offering you teflon, don't take the offer. If you want 3M paint protection, would advise to do it from 3M Professional car care center.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 3rd March 2012 at 18:35.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:43   #6202
BHPian

@rk206 - please check with you dealer wrt after market fittings, and how they will impact your warranty,

Ford is super particular, they never let me fit my own amp. saying splicing the wires will void the warranty.

Hope this Helps
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:47   #6203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sea Grey has left me confused now Black or the Sea Grey???

I would suggest you buy Sea Grey - in my opinion, the Figo looks best in that colour. Black, as stated by so many others here, is a maintenance nightmare.

Tyres - you need a good set of shoes to complement that great chassis. You might get Apollo Aceleres factory fitted, which is good news. Try and get the dealer to change the tyres to Apollo if they are MRF/Goodyear. Otherwise, change the tyres immediately to something like Michelin XM1+/Bridgestone Potenza G3 or equivalent.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:48   #6204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@rk206 - please check with you dealer wrt after market fittings, and how they will impact your warranty,

Ford is super particular, they never let me fit my own amp. saying splicing the wires will void the warranty.

Hope this Helps
Using a good wiring kit and getting the wiring done at a professional installer won't require splicing of OEM wiring. Power for the amp would be taken directly from the battery, so it won't risk the warranty. However the dealer must be taken into confidence for this job.
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:24   #6205
BHPian

Thanks All of You. I mean it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Using a good wiring kit and getting the wiring done at a professional installer won't require splicing of OEM wiring. Power for the amp would be taken directly from the battery, so it won't risk the warranty. However the dealer must be taken into confidence for this job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post

Hope this Helps
Keeping all of your advice, I have decided not to do anything to the Audio system. It will remain stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Osram Night Breaker Plus is 55/60W IIRC. They're quite good from personal experience - huge difference after I put them on in the W211's high beam.

So alloys, and fogs are there. Would be front fogs mostly. That's great!
Also, the HU is pretty decent, so unless you want something fancy, avoid changing it. Get better speakers in a year or two rather.

There are various types of tints available in the market. Garware is among the more cost effective, and depending on the brand, the budget increases. Personally, I don't feel there is a significant difference between a 5K tint, and a 15K tint - as long as it has good levels of heat rejection and protection. So figure out what specifications and colors the dealer's tint is going to be.

So at the moment, just look for sunfilm, mapmyindia, and bulb upgrade as essentials.
Once you start getting a little bored of the car, you can always consider new alloys and tyres, a tuning box, better speakers, seat covers, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Hey rk206,
I disagree with lamborghini regarding headlamp bulbs. Initial batch of Figo's had night visibility issues. Newer Figo owners don't complain about the same. So there's no need for headlamp upgrades.
I don't know much about 3M UV protection. But honestly, forget all kinds of paint protection. Do you seriously think that a 5-6 lac car's paint needs silly protections? And plus, Figo's paint quality is much higher, in league of Accord/Camry IMO.
Ill keep both yours and lamborghini's advice. Ill drive it at night. If the lamp change feels necessary. Ill buy the Oswal's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I would suggest you buy Sea Grey - in my opinion, the Figo looks best in that colour. Black, as stated by so many others here, is a maintenance nightmare.

Tyres - you need a good set of shoes to complement that great chassis. You might get Apollo Aceleres factory fitted, which is good news. Try and get the dealer to change the tyres to Apollo if they are MRF/Goodyear. Otherwise, change the tyres immediately to something like Michelin XM1+/Bridgestone Potenza G3 or equivalent.
Ill find out about the tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
It is not a question of Garware or 3M. There are many versions in Garware & 3M with different visibility & heat rejection capability. Some of them (from my perspective & usage) is as good as the equivalent 3M if not better and will be cheaper. All 3M versions are pretty good unlike Garwares whose lower ends are crap and to compound it, there are lot of fakes around. If you get the top end Garwares from a reputed Garware dealer, it should be good.

You can get the catalogue from a dealer & 3M web site for both products, compare the cost vs feature and then decide.

Actually it is not the same but most of the dealers don't understand the difference and usually sell 3M polish or 3M paint protection as Teflon. Teflon seems not suitable for Indian condition based on experience with my friends Teflon coated i10, which faced the same as GTO (some body quoted in this thread) . If I recall correctly, Dupont Teflon coating is unavailable in India any more.

3M offers paint protection for new cars, which is good from my experience if done correctly. Some dealers do a 3M polish that costs less than Rs 1000 and sell it as Teflon. Bottom line is if a dealer is offering you teflon, don't take the offer. If you want 3M paint protection, would advise to do it from 3M Professional car care center.

Guys, I booked the CAR an hour back , details are obviously in the "I booked my car Thread" ( Didn't want to post Off-topic here)

The dealer has Garware Sunfilm Available, Ill check the details and the specs. But he has already given it as a freebee.

Also, Ford has tie-ups with both Waxoyl and 3M but only the Waxoyl was available here in Pune, so I chose to go for the Underbody Protection (5 years warranty) and Paint Protection (one coat now, one at 6 months , one at one year)

As for color, I went with the Black, Heart over Brains for me. I know it'll be difficult. Hence, the Protection
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:47   #6206
BHPian

Cleaned the AC filter of my car. Look at the thread for detailed steps-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ford-figo.html
Old 4th March 2012, 08:19   #6207
BHPian

Quote:

Guys, I booked the CAR an hour back , details are obviously in the "I booked my car Thread" ( Didn't want to post Off-topic here)

Congratulations. You have taken a wise decision.

As for color, I went with the Black, Heart over Brains for me. I know it'll be difficult. Hence, the Protection
It is not that difficult as the paint quality is very good. My Figo Titanium is also black and so far I had no maintenance issues. Figo looks best in Black.
Old 4th March 2012, 15:33   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks All of You. I mean it

The dealer has Garware Sunfilm Available, Ill check the details and the specs. But he has already given it as a freebee.

Also, Ford has tie-ups with both Waxoyl and 3M but only the Waxoyl was available here in Pune, so I chose to go for the Underbody Protection (5 years warranty) and Paint Protection (one coat now, one at 6 months , one at one year)
Congrats. If the dealer is giving the sun film as a freebie, it is mostly Rs 1000 worth low end Garware that are crap. The decent ones come with 3-5 years warranty. Please check the warranty card he is giving you and check out the specs.

On paint protection, Waxoyl is good as well. Make sure that you are physically present when they do the protection.
Old 4th March 2012, 15:49   #6209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
My Figo is giving some noise from below the car if I drive it on a slightly rough road. The noise is something I used to get in my Xeta when the hub alignment was incorrect. Not sure what is happening here, it could well be in suspension as well. Any suggestions for doing some quick checks before I go to Ford service station on Saturday?
I took my car to the FASS on Saturday, apparently, it was some noise in the brake calliper that has vanished (so far so good...fingers crossed!) after they replaced the brake calliper under warranty. They claim (!) that they checked front wheel bearings and shock absorbers and found no issue.

I had also complained about the alignment of my front Head Lamps. The right one has a focus a little below than the left one. The Service Engineer claimed that he tried adjusting it but if I feel its not good he will replace both side lamp assembly with a new one under warranty!! I found it has not satisfactory so sometime would go for a change. Any suggestions for changing the bulb? I do not want to go for a bulb which will require any additional wiring /adapters, etc.
Old 4th March 2012, 18:42   #6210
BHPian

hello T-bhpians,

Announcing my first car ! Booked a silver Figo TDCi Titanium on 3rd, should be delivered by 10th as per dealer's sales guy.

Things played out with the government's proposal to hike taxes on diesel cars. I had surveyed buying a car in Dec, then again in Feb but decided to hold on since my savings were'nt all that much and wanted to stay off loans. The diesel tax provoked me again, and I discussed with my dad , it's now or never. If I were buying a petrol car, I would always wait , save more and buy what I really want ( a powerful sedan, maybe Fiat Linea T-Jet or Honda City S/V ) but the escalating price difference between petrol and diesel pushed me to diesel, even considering and looking for used Linea MJD and Grande Puntos (GP proved hard to find, found a Linea MJD but was priced fairly high, not my preferred colour either and dad was keen on a small hatchback than sedan ).

Deciding it's now or never after a long slow think-over, called up reps for test drive of Figo , Grande Punto and Ritz from several dealers. Long story short, the Ritz was unavailable and even one who promised to come didn't by even Saturday 3 March - when I wanted to finalize the choice. Told dad, that's it, no more tall boys in your destiny

Drove the Figo first, contrary to reviews both dad and I found the turbo-lag more prominent in the Figo than the Grande Punto. The Figo's brakes felt abrupt/grabby too , the Punto's less so. We drove the regular 75BHP Emotion, not the 90BHP which I was keen on. The Punto's A pillar seems to make a blind spot which can block a significant sector of seeing area , and the thick C pillar and high rear sill with narrower glass area made rear visibility also weaker. The Punto's heavy doors and build made me feel like I was sitting "enclosed" in a car, compared to the more airy/glass-house like Figo. Next day ( Saturday 3rd ), after waiting got the Ritz which failed to show up, we left to book the car. Which one was still undecided - I pined for the Punto, my dad for the Figo. Ultimately, he would be driving more in the near future than me, and he felt more confident in the Figo ( poor visibility in the Punto ). So Figo it was and the price difference was significant. I still pine for the Grande Punto though - dammit Fiat , if you'd offered the 90BHP motor in the Dynamic variant , I'd have more inclination to swing your way !

An annoyance : the bonnet release is on the passenger side !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Ah - wish I had read this sooner ! I asked for the Goodyears , but if the Apollos are the best choice in terms of grip , I can direct the Ford rep to switch the choice to Apollo. The car we saw had MRFs , and didn't know which Goodyear or Apollos.

We have the Osram Nighbreakers already, audio system will evaluate after using if we want something better. For now, I am only thinking of sun control film, and read on this thread Llumar or Vkool is best ( but Vkool is also expensive ). The Ford brochure says "Laminated Glazed windscreen" - does this mean the windscreen is already pasted with a UV/IT block film, or is this a safety/shatter resistance film ?

Not planning for teflon sham ! Any other accessory recommendations ? The dealer is including floor mats for the interior + boot, nothing else.

TIA.

Last edited by Ricci : 4th March 2012 at 19:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks