Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 18:20   #6061
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Hi,

Is it possible to increase the ground clearance of the Figo without safety and handling being compromised?

Took a test drive and loved everything about the car but found the ground clearance to be the only hitch
Old 16th February 2012, 19:28   #6062
Senior - BHPian

@dhinchak: My solution is treating the cause, namely accumulation of brake dust between the rotor and the calipers. Ford probably uses hard brake pads which tend to generate more brake dust. Or if changing brake pads, go for aftermarket ones (perhaps Mustang.101 could help you with the specifications). Replacing with OEM ford brake pads will not solve the problem.
Old 16th February 2012, 20:32   #6063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
Is it possible to increase the ground clearance of the Figo without safety and handling being compromised? Took a test drive and loved everything about the car but found the ground clearance to be the only hitch
You might want to check if the TD Figo was manufactured before Sept'11 or after it. I've noticed that Figo owners prior to Sept'11 complain about ground clearance while owners after Sept'11 (like me) don't find ground clearance a problem. It's quite possible that Figo's suspension was updated in Aug'11.

Btw, even if you managed to increase ground clearance in Figo somehow by using aftermarket settings, you will void the warranty. Ford is quite strict about warranty thing. Figo is not exactly a reliable Honda or Toyota. You might get a problem in first two years of ownership. During which, warranty saves you.
DevilsCry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 21:29   #6064
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Is it possible to increase the ground clearance of the Figo without safety and handling being compromised?

Took a test drive and loved everything about the car but found the ground clearance to be the only hitch
There are some threads on increasing ground clearance.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...e-mileage.html
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...uspension.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)
If you can avoid that patch of road which has tall speed breakers then you wont have to worry.Are the delhi roads bad for cars with low ground clearance like the civic,figo etc?? I though Bangalore was notorious!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 16th February 2012 at 21:35.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 22:20   #6065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Hey SushantV,

I agree with dhanushmenon. Get sun flims even if it overshoots 3,500 bucks. Figo's large windows turns it into an oven. Throughout this winters, whenever I felt too cold at my home and when heater didn't help me, I simply got inside my Figo. It's nirvana!

I never realized how hot my Figo becomes during summers thanks to its quick and excellent AC. Now I'm thinking to get sun films myself to cut down AC running and increase mileage.

I see that you live in Gurgaon. Please do report here about brand, specs and cost of the sun films if you decide to get them. It will help me. Thanks
I plan to install 3M RE50 on all the four windows. The front windscreen would probably remain unoccupied for a while. Would not be using sunfilm on the rear pane simply not to interrupt the defogger functionality. I got a quote of 3200 from the dealer with 5% discount over it.

And just to update, I realized that even Volkswagen Polo looks terrific but in the base version of polo costs similar to the top end Figo.

I was kinda zeroed on to the Figo but a call from the Polo guys (and some ongoing discount offer prevalent), I am again in the vacillation phase
Old 16th February 2012, 23:53   #6066
BHPian

the sound you are getting from the right suspension can be due to faulty shock absorber.yesterday i had my right side shockabsorber got replaced under warranty which you will get till 40000kms.The problem what i faced was when passing over speedbreakers,falling in deep cuts.one interesting thing is that u wont get the sound if you drive the car very slowly over humps.or if you approach the humps in a sideways manner or if you travel on bad roads.you have to approach the humps straight on.
Old 17th February 2012, 09:25   #6067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
the sound you are getting from the right suspension can be due to faulty shock absorber.yesterday i had my right side shockabsorber got replaced under warranty which you will get till 40000kms.The problem what i faced was when passing over speedbreakers,falling in deep cuts.one interesting thing is that u wont get the sound if you drive the car very slowly over humps.or if you approach the humps in a sideways manner or if you travel on bad roads.you have to approach the humps straight on.
Bang on! my issue and experience is same exactly as yours. Seems it requires a change. I am worried what will happen post warranty, if vital parts fail so early? My car is just 12000 kms old and it has been driven very carefully. I can make the suspension 'creak' on a pothole or a speed breaker but i drive in such a manner that it remains silent.

Our Indica's front suspension gave up in just 30000 kms. Are modern suspensions (especially the front ones) prone to go kaput early? I have seen many owners complaining sounds from their vehicles suspension at a very early stage.
Old 17th February 2012, 09:55   #6068
Team-BHP Support

Now at 12,000+ kms, the TDCi engine seems to open up nicely & on a relatively short stretch, goes to 150kmph without any fuss. Earlier it used to take sometime post 140kmph. (am on stock 175 section MRF's)

The fuel economy stays at a constant 17kmpl with 100% ac.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:00   #6069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
Would not be using sunfilm on the rear pane simply not to interrupt the defogger functionality.
I never owned a car with defogger so I don't know much but are not defogger lines inside the glass? And, where sun film is applied? If sun film is applied outside and defogger lines are inside then it would not be a problem, I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
I was kinda zeroed on to the Figo but a call from the Polo guys (and some ongoing discount offer prevalent), I am again in the vacillation phase.
Figo and Polo are quite different cars. How come you are confused between the two? Have you done TD of both of them? In my case, it was quite simple. I was quite impressed with Polo at the showroom. Impressive exteriors and interiors. I was determined that I would pick Polo over Figo. Now let's see how Polo drives like. After doing TD, I ran away and never went back to VW showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Our Indica's front suspension gave up in just 30000 kms. Are modern suspensions (especially the front ones) prone to go kaput early? I have seen many owners complaining sounds from their vehicles suspension at a very early stage.
My Figo's rear suspension used to creak and 'thud' often when brand new. But no such issues with front suspension. Could be because of tyre pressure. I keep 30-32 psi only (some people even keep 36-41 psi to get mileage). At my tyre pressure, Figo's front suspension behaviour completely transforms. It becomes so silent though rear suspension still creaks sometimes.

Btw, all vehicles have McPherson struts in their front suspension. If every car owner complains about front suspension in early stage then it might have to do something with McPherson struts instead of individual company's suspension design, just assuming.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 17th February 2012 at 10:06. Reason: Forgot to multi-quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:05   #6070
BHPian

The engine & transmission have never let me down. I find the pull and acceleration taut and the steering and handling is on the top. I love to see Scorpio's and Dezire's (abundant at my place) in my rear view mirror whenever i get decent & twisty roads.

I got 18+ kmpl on an average in past few months within the city limits with AC almost off most of the times due to the winter. What lets me down are the minor irritants like rattling and squeaking.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:59   #6071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I never owned a car with defogger so I don't know much but are not defogger lines inside the glass? And, where sun film is applied? If sun film is applied outside and defogger lines are inside then it would not be a problem, I guess?

Figo and Polo are quite different cars. How come you are confused between the two? Have you done TD of both of them? In my case, it was quite simple. I was quite impressed with Polo at the showroom. Impressive exteriors and interiors. I was determined that I would pick Polo over Figo. Now let's see how Polo drives like. After doing TD, I ran away and never went back to VW showroom
The FIGO dealer said that I can get the delivery by end of the day today and there is waiting of 2-4 weeks for the POLO white trendline.

Looks like Figo it is since I won't be able to stay without the car for to long.

Even I haven't owned a car with a defogger before (in fact this is my second car after the Alto :P) but I've read reports with people reporting about sunfilm screwing up the defogger functionality.

I just waiting or a visit to nearest panditji to let me know when its the right time to pick up the vehicle. Will keep you guys posted when I'll get the vehicle.
Old 17th February 2012, 18:34   #6072
BHPian

@DevilsCry Could not find any such information about increase of ground clearance either on the forum or elsewhere on the net. I am not too sure about asking the showroom people as we all know where there interests lie, , but do happen to know of a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership, will check and get back.

@rambo1o1 Scraped the test drive vehicle with 4 people on it ( in all weighing approximately 350 kilos) on a moderate sized speed breaker. This is a road I take regularly and I approached it as I do in my present car Santro.
Spacers seem like a good idea but am sure it would very likely void the warranty. Could one not remove it before handing it over for service? Dont think it involves much time or labor.

Last edited by TheDoctor : 17th February 2012 at 18:36. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 17th February 2012, 18:38   #6073
BHPian

Quote:

@rambo1o1 Scraped the test drive vehicle with 4 people on it ( in all weighing approximately 350 kilos) on a moderate sized speed breaker. This is a road I take regularly and I approached it as I do in my present car Santro.
Spacers seem like a good idea but am sure it would very likely void the warrenty. Could one not remove it before handing it over for service? Dont think it involves much time or labor.
I guess one can take out the Spacer before sending the car to the service center. Some Delhi bhpians may help you to get in touch with people who have expertise in these areas!Do checkout the Team BHP directory for shops in your area!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 17th February 2012 at 18:41.
Old 19th February 2012, 00:32   #6074
BHPian

I found this piece of news. Source - Ford sends out OpenXC beta, vehicle-aware apps should be just around the corner -- Engadget

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-buglabsandfordannouncement.jpg

What's this supposed to be? Facebooking and Tweeting while driving at 90kph, perhaps?
Old 19th February 2012, 09:41   #6075
BHPian

Quote:
@DevilsCry Could not find any such information about increase of ground clearance either on the forum or elsewhere on the net. I am not too sure about asking the showroom people as we all know where there interests lie, , but do happen to know of a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership, will check and get back.

Spacers seem like a good idea but am sure it would very likely void the warranty. Could one not remove it before handing it over for service? Dont think it involves much time or labor.
In my 20K kms on the Figo in Bangalore and all around south India with/without full load in all kinds of roads, I have been able to avoid scrapping with some careful driving. This may sound too simple but it works for me (given B'lore is the capital of speed breakers) -

- Adjust/maintain air pressure (max is around 40 for full load)
- Drive cross over big breakers
- You can even upgrade 1 size up on tyres with same side wall (65)...will help slightly as diameter will increase.
- Dont break on/very close to the speed breaker and go in the right speed

Figo's suspension is already hard enough...adding spacers will just make it stiffer and void warranty. To me it might be like riding a Gypsy!

I really don't have a complaint with Figo's ground clearance so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks