Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 15:33   #5941
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
2. RPM should not have any influence in gear shifting and engagement. Many times I have done 4th at lower rpms without any problem.
3. If you shift with "no drop in rpm", then the car will jerk since the given acceleration is already on or the engine noise will be heard more as if you are revving the engine.
The car will jerk if you release the clutch with no drop in rpm. Note that what I'm saying is before I release the clutch i.e. my clutch is still pressed and I just change the gear. The clutch is released when the rpm drops to the right.

Basically press clutch change gear with no drop in rpm then release clutch once rpm drops a little.

Basically it looks like intermediate shaft speed should not drop.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:48   #5942
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The car will jerk if you release the clutch with no drop in rpm. Note that what I'm saying is before I release the clutch i.e. my clutch is still pressed and I just change the gear. The clutch is released when the rpm drops to the right.

Basically press clutch change gear with no drop in rpm then release clutch once rpm drops a little.

Basically it looks like intermediate shaft speed should not drop.
OK. So after gear engagement you do a de-acceleration (ie bring down the rpm)and then release the clutch. Am I right.
So lot thinking to be done when you drive Figo.

Last edited by RGK : 25th January 2012 at 15:50.
Old 25th January 2012, 21:14   #5943
Senior - BHPian

@ basky: I agree with you. Ford service center painting leaves a lot to be desired.
Almost any private painter will be able to do a better job.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:04   #5944
BHPian

Guys, Iam thinking of snapping on 2 Hella 500 FFs, so need some expert advise on where to fit them on my Figo (taking the car for a long journey). I dont want to screw/deploy the airbags by drilling some holes in the front. Knowning the position of the airbag sensors would help greatly.
If anybody has fitted them, please post images of the brackets and the place for fitting them. Any Suggestions would be great, dont want to leave the job souly to the fitter.

Last edited by ramharis : 27th January 2012 at 18:10. Reason: Addition to the post
Old 27th January 2012, 19:58   #5945
BHPian

I just did a 1500 km run from Gurgaon to Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh and back in my Figo, purchased in september 2011, and on the way back the rear seat started slipping forward. Tried lifting it and resetting it, also tried pushing the seat but to no avail, problem still exists.

I have booked time with Harpreet Ford Gurgaon on Sunday to fix the problem, is there any thing I should particularly be looking out for?

Also would I need to pay anything as the car is hardly 4 months old and all the warranty packages have been purchased.

On a different note, on the trip, which included some of the worst roads and terrains possible, my figo loaded with five full size, average weight 80 kg's , and a loaded boot, did quite well, it was not able to climb on second gear but first gear was fine. Our Honda Civic manages the same roads in second gear comfortably, is it because engine is small or because diesels are not capable of such feats.

I followed Fords specs for tire pressure 36 front and 41 back, is this safe for tires and car, my father was of the opinion that tires will burst.

Regards.
Old 27th January 2012, 21:58   #5946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
it was not able to climb on second gear but first gear was fine.

Regards.
Indeed the 2nd gear is of no use other than for momentary upshift/downshifting.
Old 28th January 2012, 17:36   #5947
BHPian

1. I've a petrol Figo which I bought in September 2011, 2500km done. I drive my Figo once in many days (not much usage). Every time, I take it out after few days of no use, there is always squeaking coming from suspension, brakes (and even once from steering) for first 100 meter of driving. After it, it is gone. As if there was never squeaking in first place. Is this normal?

Discussed it with the service center. Got the usual reply of "It's all fine. There's no problem.".

2. I've still been struggling to get smoothest shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear. I find Vid6639's post really useful in this regard. Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2657237

At low RPM, the car protests when I try to get out of 1st gear to shift into 2nd. If RPM is too high in 1st gear, the car jerks. I've yet to find a proper balance. It is a bit hard since I don't have tachometer in my car. Is there an easier way to shift from 1st to 2nd gear?

3. I've noticed that upshifting and downshifting speeds are different. For example, I shift to 3rd gear at 36kph but if I'm in 3rd gear and my speed drops to 20kph and if I try to shift into 2nd gear, it protests. If I shift back to 3rd gear, it shifts back smoothly but I've to accelerate slowly to regain to 30kph otherwise the engine vibrates (shows sign of stress). Just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. It indeed appears that gearshift depends not only on speed but on speed + RPM of engine.

I'm not sure if anyone will understand what I'm trying to ask regarding gearshift in points 2 and 3

Last edited by DevilsCry : 28th January 2012 at 17:41. Reason: adding 3rd point
Old 28th January 2012, 18:26   #5948
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
1. I've a petrol Figo which I bought in September 2011, 2500km done. I drive my Figo once in many days (not much usage). Every time, I take it out after few days of no use, there is always squeaking coming from suspension, brakes (and even once from steering) for first 100 meter of driving. After it, it is gone. As if there was never squeaking in first place. Is this normal?

Discussed it with the service center. Got the usual reply of "It's all fine. There's no problem.".

2. I've still been struggling to get smoothest shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear. I find Vid6639's post really useful in this regard. Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2657237

At low RPM, the car protests when I try to get out of 1st gear to shift into 2nd. If RPM is too high in 1st gear, the car jerks. I've yet to find a proper balance. It is a bit hard since I don't have tachometer in my car. Is there an easier way to shift from 1st to 2nd gear?

3. I've noticed that upshifting and downshifting speeds are different. For example, I shift to 3rd gear at 36kph but if I'm in 3rd gear and my speed drops to 20kph and if I try to shift into 2nd gear, it protests. If I shift back to 3rd gear, it shifts back smoothly but I've to accelerate slowly to regain to 30kph otherwise the engine vibrates (shows sign of stress). Just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. It indeed appears that gearshift depends not only on speed but on speed + RPM of engine.

I'm not sure if anyone will understand what I'm trying to ask regarding gearshift in points 2 and 3
1. It is quite normal as a slight layer of rust is formed and then with use it goes away especially in the case of brakes.

2. Can be rectified at ford service center for free. They just need to adjust the gear cables.

3. Actually did not understand. Lol. But i think point 2 should take care of it.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:38   #5949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

We have a petrol figo, base version, February 2011,9830k done.The suspension noise is common for figos according to the service assistant,had the noise right from day one,dont know about new models.

About the gear shift from 1st to 2nd, never faced any problems. Normally i shift to 2nd when i touch 20kmph, dont have a tachometer. Even if i try to shift from 1st to 2nd at about 15kmph the car just lazily pulls.when up shifting at higher speeds of 30kmph the car doesn't jerk, but normally i shift at 20kmph.

Again about the shifting from 3rd to 2nd, no problem, very easy to downshift.
i guess your car has not covered much,after 5-6km the engine really opens up,pulls much faster.

As Mustang sir suggested you can check it up with Ford.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:07   #5950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
It is quite normal as a slight layer of rust is formed and then with use it goes away especially in the case of brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
The suspension noise is common for figos according to the service assistant,had the noise right from day one,dont know about new models.
So brakes and suspension squeakings are normal. Mine is September manufactured which is supposed to be the newer model. So I guess that newer Figo's still have squeaking suspension (at cold start, for first 100 meter). Not a biggie though.

Quote:
Can be rectified at ford service center for free. They just need to adjust the gear cables.
Nah nah, I think don't that the car has any problem. It's just me who is used to driving Maruti's and is expecting same behaviour in Figo. Of 2,500km done by my Figo, only 200km or so is done by me. So I guess I need to have more experience in Figo. For example, I used to shift up every 10kph in Maruti's. In Figo, it's more like 18kph per shift.

Quote:
About the gear shift from 1st to 2nd, never faced any problems. Normally i shift to 2nd when i touch 20kmph
That explains it! I had been shifting to 2nd gear just after moving 10 meter in 1st gear. The user manual should correct it!

Quote:
Again about the shifting from 3rd to 2nd, no problem, very easy to downshift.
Actually the downshift is easy. It's just that even if I downshift at 20kph from 3rd gear, I experience engine braking and it protests a bit in slotting in 2nd gear which means that I should have remained in 3rd gear. If I shift at perfect speed and RPM, the gearshift is super-smooth. Looks like I need to gain more experience before asking unclear questions. Sorry
Old 29th January 2012, 22:18   #5951
BHPian

OK so couple of days back I ended up with this while reversing in a narrow jungle road in Goa. What are my options. Taking the car for first service tomorrow so would be happy if I get some pointers.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-270120122143.jpg
Old 29th January 2012, 22:57   #5952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
OK so couple of days back I ended up with this while reversing in a narrow jungle road in Goa. What are my options. Taking the car for first service tomorrow so would be happy if I get some pointers.Attachment 879449
Ouch! It must have hurt your heart!

If possible, do take to a local garage before you visit the service center. Get estimation of repairing cost. Local garages are often cheaper, does as good job as A.S.S. and can also claim insurance. You can look up T-BHP directory for a list of good garages at where you live (Goa? Banglore?).
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:14   #5953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK so couple of days back I ended up with this while reversing in a narrow jungle road in Goa. What are my options. Taking the car for first service tomorrow so would be happy if I get some pointers.

Attachment 879449
will cost you about 3k-4k at the service center (body shop actually). Paint touch up will be free.

If you get it done via insurance you'll lose no-claims bonus amounting to similar money.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 11:03   #5954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 879449
Thats a small denting job, repainting or not depends how you want your car to look, generally touch up jobs are good, but you can make out on close observation.

Leave the bumper alone, repainting (half) is unnecessary.

If you are in the initial days of insurance and are a new driver, I would suggest go for insurance and get it done from A.S.S. But if your insurance is about to expire, I would suggest go to a local garage and get it done from your pocket.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:44   #5955
BHPian

I've always been concerned that Figo might be relatively unsafe on highway compared to taller cars in case of a head-on collision with a truck.

This thread shows how high ground clearance of Indian trucks spell death for low cars - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rders-fir.html

But then I saw this pic -

from this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2658673

I don't know if Figo is not so low or the bus was not so high that the impact happened at Figo's hood instead of at A-pillars. Can someone please tell me if a Figo goes head-on with a truck then it will be hit on the hood or at A-pillars like the Mercedes S-Class?

Most Viewed