Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:15   #5611
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
@eagle eye: 3300 kms is too less to decide upon FE. I started with 14-15 kmpl which remained so until 6-7K after which it increased to 16-17 and stayed there up to 18-19K only after the second service did I see the 20 kmpl mark. So I dont think you need to be worried, yet!
I have different experience, I started getting FE of city-18+ and Highway-22+ right from 2K on odo. Tips from you and other Figo BHPians about driving style helped me in that. I have measured TF to TF FE right from 611 on Odo and min is 18.6 max is 23.7. The over all (Total KM / Total Lit) is 19.8 and as of today my Odo is just 5K car is 3 months old, average monthly run is approx 1.5K. As many experienced Figo BHPians have advised I keep RPM between 1500 to 2000 by frequent gear shifts and accelerate/brake gently. Taking foot off accelerator and rolling with traffic is another factor helping good FE. I am also cleaning Air Filter every 2.5K KM though not advised by anybody. I did it just before a Highway trip and that trip recorded the Highest FE of 23.7. Since its 5K on Odo I plan to clean air filter in a day or two. I use home vacuum cleaner on blower side to blow away the dust in air filter, just dont know whether it cleans it thoroughly but I can see lot of dust being blown away. May be I am under false impression that this helps in better FE.

I would like to know opinion of experts on my following. I plan to have a extra oil change at 6K KM. The Idea is 1st Change at 2.5K, next at 6K (i.e. +3.5K) and 2nd Service at 10K (i.e. +4K KM). The idea behind this is When engine is new deburring process in initial period is High so Oil change will remove those suspended metal particles and engine life will be increased. I did same for my M800 earlier by a advise from Local Road side mechanic but I dont know how much it has helped but even few months ago it was giving FE of 23 for highway trips and 18+ in city even after 17 years of usages with 3.25L KM on Odo.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:54   #5612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
I have different experience, .... May be I am under false impression that this helps in better FE.
You are doing a LOT to get such mileage, which is good. But I hardly do anything but wash my car. I always drive spiritedly (2000-2500 rpm) and a gear lower than what suffices, but I still get 17-18 with in city now (after 20K on ODO)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
I would like to know opinion of experts on my following. I plan to have a extra oil change at 6K KM. The Idea is 1st Change at 2.5K, next at 6K (i.e. +3.5K) and 2nd Service at 10K (i.e. +4K KM). The idea behind this is When engine is new deburring process in initial period is High so Oil change will remove those suspended metal particles and engine life will be increased. I did same for my M800 earlier by a advise from Local Road side mechanic but I dont know how much it has helped but even few months ago it was giving FE of 23 for highway trips and 18+ in city even after 17 years of usages with 3.25L KM on Odo.
Changing engine oil for every 4K KM is unwarranted and unnecessary. If you really want to change it early, change between 7-8K KMs irrespective of your usage. Even people using their vehicles in steep ghats do not change so often, I think.

Modern engines make their way under the hood after a lot of honing etc, while you may be right in getting a better fuel efficiency, IMO total cost per km would remain same w/o much effect on engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
I took my figo for first yestday and the service advisor did not change the oil, and was like telling me that figos manufactured after july do not need oil change in the first service and will be done only in the second service, is this true?
The figo never needed oil change in first service, it was just a general check up. Oil change was only on request.

Last edited by anilisanil : 3rd November 2011 at 16:04.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:57   #5613
BHPian

I took my figo for first yestday and the service advisor did not change the oil, and was like telling me that figos manufactured after july do not need oil change in the first service and will be done only in the second service, is this true?
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:57   #5614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
Yes this is true, I got my Figo serviced last weekend they did not change the oil & filter. It will be changed in the 2nd service. They just topped up the fluids and did some lubrication read my previous post for details.
The overall cost of the service was Rs 0.0
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:58   #5615
BHPian

Quote:
@eagle eye: 3300 kms is too less to decide upon FE. I started with 14-15 kmpl which remained so until 6-7K after which it increased to 16-17 and stayed there up to 18-19K only after the second service did I see the 20 kmpl mark. So I dont think you need to be worried, yet!

My Figo is 4 months old and i have done 6500 KM. I am getting 15 kmpl consistently till date in the city. At highways, i am getting around 20 kmpl when i drive between 90 -110.

Last Deepavali day i got 25.3 kmpl in the trip from Chennai to Madurai (Tambram to Indian Oil petrol bunk in NH45). The road was totally free (except the 6 or 7 toll booths, i would have changed the gear less than 10 times in the 400+ KM stretch). It was raining most of the time and i was driving 70 - 80 speed , with switching a/c on and off (less than 50% usage) and windows are always rolled up.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:19   #5616
BHPian

I heard from the sales executive regarding the revised Figo that, there will be a usb cable provided with the HU. And on Titanium, the driver seat height adjustment feature will be withdrawn; the reason stated was that steering tilt adjustment is being introduced. Not sure how much is this true.
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:22   #5617
BHPian

Quote:
You are doing a LOT to get such mileage, which is good. But I hardly do anything but wash my car. I always drive spiritedly (2000-2500 rpm) and a gear lower than what suffices, but I still get 17-18 with in city now (after 20K on ODO)
Well My age factor and nature of to be safe restricts me from spirited driving. Where my son does easily 100, I feel unsafe at 80/90. When he is driving and I am sitting by side there are always some tense moments which make me some what panic and I indicate him to slow down but he also takes care not to cross 110. By looking at economics of remaining in 70-90 band he is also slowly getting convinced to drive below 100 but young blood rushes some or the other time when car like M800 or Alto overtakes him, he wont mind when Innovas, i20s, swifts, scodas overtake him, funny thing.

Quote:
Changing engine oil for every 4K KM is unwarranted and unnecessary. If you really want to change it early, change between 7-8K KMs irrespective of your usage. Even people using their vehicles in steep ghats do not change so often, I think.

Modern engines make their way under the hood after a lot of honing etc, while you may be right in getting a better fuel efficiency, IMO total cost per km would remain same w/o much effect on engine.
I am thinking of this only for First 10K KM. Afterwards depending on oil color and viscosity I plan to change oil at 10K or 7/8K kms. However Air Filter cleaning I may continue if first 10K KM give me better power and FE after cleaning it, I am experimenting on it. If required I may shift to K & N washable Air Filter when stock air filter is to be changed as per schedule. Experts please comment on this issue.

Quote:
The figo never needed oil change in first service, it was just a general check up. Oil change was only on request.
Many reviews and ownership reports here are mentioning Oil change in their First Service, So I have not read the manual thoroughly to check whether its optional or not. I will check that since on my recommendations my Nephew is buying TDCI Titanium, I asked him to postpone delivery to get a new face lifted figo, this thing may save few bucks for him.

Except a minor rattle in front left A pillar or from dash my ownership experience of Figo has been excellent. If you know any fix for this please let me I will try to get it done to make it a spotless satisfaction.
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:32   #5618

Hi, I was also confused with whether or not to change engine oil at 5000 Kms. My Figo is now 6 months old and has done 4970 Kms on the ODO. So I inquired at my Ford service center about this and was told that the new Figo's do not require an oil change till 10,000 Kms or 1 year (whichever is earlier). Needless to say, I was quite surprised, because I had heard that regular oil changes at 5000 Kms were a must for good maintenance of the vehicle. I was also told that since the vehicle is still under manufacturer's warranty, it would be best to follow all the service schedules as provided by Ford.
Again, I was informed that Ford is considering pushing the 1st service to 10,000 Kms for the new Figo's. [Now I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of this last statement, but that's what I was told.]
Cheers,
M_83
Old 4th November 2011, 09:52   #5619
Senior - BHPian

Is'nt frequent oil change bad for the environment? Disposal of waste oil is always poor.
Modern oils are rated very high and Ford is very conservative to recommend 10K/ 1yr oil change. I think this should be crossed rather than pre-empted.
A friend who owns an oil dealership runs his Honda city Gxi for 25K on Mobil1. When I berated him for that he drew a sample from his car which had run 22K pos oil change and compared the viscosity and some other parameters and it was exactly as new.
I also remember the Mobil1 ad in which 1,000,000km did not alter their oil.
Agreed the first service is important. but the following ones may be done at company recommended intervals and not earlier.
This will save your wallet and the environment.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 14:13   #5620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I heard from the sales executive regarding the revised Figo that, there will be a usb cable provided with the HU. And on Titanium, the driver seat height adjustment feature will be withdrawn; the reason stated was that steering tilt adjustment is being introduced. Not sure how much is this true.
Thats true. Titanium will also get alloy wheels but there is a price increase too!
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 20:19   #5621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom_83 View Post
Hi, I was also confused with whether or not to change engine oil at 5000 Kms. My Figo is now 6 months old and has done 4970 Kms on the ODO. So I inquired at my Ford service center about this and was told that the new Figo's do not require an oil change till 10,000 Kms or 1 year (whichever is earlier). Needless to say, I was quite surprised, because I had heard that regular oil changes at 5000 Kms were a must for good maintenance of the vehicle. I was also told that since the vehicle is still under manufacturer's warranty, it would be best to follow all the service schedules as provided by Ford.
Again, I was informed that Ford is considering pushing the 1st service to 10,000 Kms for the new Figo's. [Now I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of this last statement, but that's what I was told.]
Cheers,
M_83
Well, I just got my new Ford Figo (Diesel Titanium) serviced at Shreeji Ford. The manual I had said no oil change at first service (2500 kms or 3 months). But the service adviser stated oil change is necessary and showed me new Figo manuals to support that. My manual had white strips pasted on the oil change reco in the maintenance schedule.
I erred on the side of caution and went ahead with the change . Fusion , Fiesta all don't need a change as per the Ford schedule at first 2500km service.

Last edited by Ravich : 4th November 2011 at 20:43. Reason: typos corrected
Ravich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 22:58   #5622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
Well, I just got my new Ford Figo (Diesel Titanium) serviced at Shreeji Ford. The manual I had said no oil change at first service (2500 kms or 3 months). But the service adviser stated oil change is necessary and showed me new Figo manuals to support that. My manual had white strips pasted on the oil change reco in the maintenance schedule.
I erred on the side of caution and went ahead with the change . Fusion , Fiesta all don't need a change as per the Ford schedule at first 2500km service.
I guess he showed you the old manual and made you change the oil & filter. I serviced my Figo last weekend and there was no oil change done.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 12:02   #5623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I guess he showed you the old manual and made you change the oil & filter. I serviced my Figo last weekend and there was no oil change done.
Thanks. Will raise this with Ford. At the time of agreeing to changing the oil, I had said I will ask for a refund if Ford's recommended schedule for oil change is at the 10000km or 1 year service. While I doubt if I can actually get either Ford or the service workshop to refund this, it is certainly worthwhile raising awareness around this.
Ravich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 12:24   #5624
Senior - BHPian

Hello Daewood - Can you provide little more details around this if you have? Please excuse if this information is already available in this thread earlier and direct me towards it. As it is, the height adjustment in figo just changes the inclination of seat base and hence wouldnt be terribly missed. I wish they give us a real height adjustment though.

One of my colleagues is looking to pick up one and any inputs around this will be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Thats true. Titanium will also get alloy wheels but there is a price increase too!
Old 6th November 2011, 20:19   #5625
BHPian

Petrol Figo owners rejoice.

Cosworth replacement airfilters are available for Petrol Figo in Ebay.

These are washable with soap water & does not require any oil etc.

Awaiting for the model suiting Duratorq.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks