Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 13:07   #5521
BHPian

Re: No engine oil change for Figo @ First Service? :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
@ EagleEye, AFAIK recent engines especially Euro ones use synthetic oil and a change at either 15K KM's or 1 year. For some cars its 10K KM's or 1 year. 1st service is more of a inspection of your car with no major things replaced like engine oil. So nothing to worry about.

Yes, I have seen people changing engine oil during 1st service voluntarily.

As far as the sticker is concern, and if at all its not a printing mistake, I would think Ford use to use mineral oil and now they use synthetic? Ford owners should be able to comment on this.
Thanks for your quick reply. I am still skeptic about the changed policies.
It is definitely not a spelling mistake as I heard the service advisor speaking to the service personnel about there being no need to change the engine oil as it is a 'September' car.

Also, elsewhere in the manual it is clearly mentioned that the recommended specification of oil is WSS-M2C913-B which according to this site is synthetic oil.

EDIT: Just saw that it includes some semi-synthetic oil also.

Last edited by EagleEye : 27th October 2011 at 13:13.
Old 27th October 2011, 13:52   #5522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I took my Figo TDCi Titanium to SC Ford Goregaon today for its first service. The car has clocked 2464 kms in 1.5 months. Not bad, eh?

Now coming to the topic: Apparently the Figo does not need an oil change in its first service.

Here's what the manual says:
Attachment 832977

As you can see, there is a sticker over the Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter, and Sump Plug Gasket items for the first service column.

What does this mean? That earlier it was required to change these items but now it's not? Is it that they are using longer-drain oil now and were using some other oil before? Or is it that one fine day they woke up and said, no need to change oil at first service?!

AFAIK, all new engines have to have engine oil changed in the first few thousand kilometers compulsorily. This link even tells you to change the oil at 20 miles initially!

And what about the oil filter and the sump plug gasket (what's that btw)? Are they using higher quality materials now that they needn't be checked into? (Ya right...)

Do you recommend that I at least get the engine oil changed from outside? How much does labour for engine oil change normally cost at a local mechanic's?
Eagle eye it would be best to contact the customer care at 1800 425 2500 or email on custmail@ford.com, share the response and feedback with us.
Old 27th October 2011, 15:08   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
That's a surprise. My car (I guess all Figos here) did get the oil and oil filter changed during the first service itself and the same was instructed in the manual. I suggest you call up the A.S.S. and just check what's the reason why Ford has taken it out from the first service (just to give an impression of a low service charge?).
I just had a word with my service advisor who said that they had received an instruction from Ford that all Figos manufactured after July '11 need not undergo engine oil change during the first service. When I prodded him for the reason, he said something like "the technology of oil has been changed...." but I felt that it was his guess and that Ford didn't issue any reason justifying the instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Eagle eye it would be best to contact the customer care at 1800 425 2500 or email on custmail@ford.com, share the response and feedback with us.
I called up customer care and asked the question. She said "you have to contact the dealer".
I have dropped in a mail too, let's see what they reply.

Last edited by EagleEye : 27th October 2011 at 15:09.
Old 27th October 2011, 16:24   #5524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took my Figo TDCi Titanium to SC Ford Goregaon today for its first service. The car has clocked 2464 kms in 1.5 months. Not bad, eh?

Now coming to the topic: Apparently the Figo does not need an oil change in its first service.

Here's what the manual says:
Attachment 832977

As you can see, there is a sticker over the Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter, and Sump Plug Gasket items for the first service column.

What does this mean? That earlier it was required to change these items but now it's not? Is it that they are using longer-drain oil now and were using some other oil before? Or is it that one fine day they woke up and said, no need to change oil at first service?!

AFAIK, all new engines have to have engine oil changed in the first few thousand kilometers compulsorily. This link even tells you to change the oil at 20 miles initially!

And what about the oil filter and the sump plug gasket (what's that btw)? Are they using higher quality materials now that they needn't be checked into? (Ya right...)

Do you recommend that I at least get the engine oil changed from outside? How much does labour for engine oil change normally cost at a local mechanic's?
+1 look like Ford has made changes to the quality of oil (semi /full Synthetic as per the sticker on the engine cover) used in the newer Figo’s. My Figo is a mid July 11 made and is now due for 1st service this week.
As per the manual there is no oil/filter changes just some routine inspection & cleaning that’s it. Will update the service experience this weekend.

Last edited by tj123 : 27th October 2011 at 16:28. Reason: typo
Old 27th October 2011, 16:45   #5525
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Hello Folks,

Need help on buying a diesel hatch for myself. Please note this post is purely to decide the 'Best hatch that suits my requirements'
Sary, trust me, you MUST try the Tata Vista once. LX will match your budget, but i will recommend you upgrade your budget just a little bit and get a VX.
Old 27th October 2011, 22:20   #5526
BHPian

Quote:
I have dropped in a mail too, let's see what they reply.
Thank you EagleEye for noticing this. My Figo is late August 2011 manufactured and my manual has the same sticker pasted in it just like yours. I am eagerly waiting to see what Ford replies since I will be servicing my car for first time within a month.

I have noticed that my car's rear suspension squeaks when braking on an inclined surface while reversing if the car was not used for 2-3 days. Searching on T-BHP gives me different reasons and different solutions.

I am thinking to forget it assuming that some rubber parts get stiff when not used for 2-3 days. I don't want service guys fiddling with my car unnecessarily. I have previously owned only 2nd hand cars and tended to them myself and never took them to a service center so hope you guys can understand why I don't trust service guys even to touch my car. What do you guys advice?
Old 27th October 2011, 22:42   #5527
Team-BHP Support

Can someone post the pics of this sticker stating the oil type?

They might have gone for fully synthetic if that's so I'm going to opt for that at my next service.

If not oil type, they might be running in the engines at the plant now like a hot test. I remember in the Ford plant visit thread, GTO mentioned that Ford engines are only cold tested.
Old 28th October 2011, 01:04   #5528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

They might have gone for fully synthetic if that's so I'm going to opt for that at my next service.

If not oil type, they might be running in the engines at the plant now like a hot test. I remember in the Ford plant visit thread, GTO mentioned that Ford engines are only cold tested.
I wonder if I should go for an additional service at 15000 kms?
Old 28th October 2011, 01:29   #5529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Thank you EagleEye for noticing this. My Figo is late August 2011 manufactured and my manual has the same sticker pasted in it just like yours. I am eagerly waiting to see what Ford replies since I will be servicing my car for first time within a month.
Whoops forgot to tell you guys but I had got a callback from Ford HQ, within an hour of mailing them.
I spoke to a Ms. Sapna who said that the oil had not been upgraded but Ford had tested it extensively and were now recommending it for 10000 kms. Hot testing against cold testing? (Wish someone would explain what that means)

So looks to me like I'll have to replace the oil and filter between services since they've not upgraded oil quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
+1 look like Ford has made changes to the quality of oil (semi /full Synthetic as per the sticker on the engine cover) used in the newer Figo’s. My Figo is a mid July 11 made and is now due for 1st service this week.
As per the manual there is no oil/filter changes just some routine inspection & cleaning that’s it. Will update the service experience this weekend.
I think they were using synthetic/semi synthetic from the beginning, the specifications of which are given in the manual and there's no sticker on that page.
BTW is there a sticker in your manual like mine on the services page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I have noticed that my car's rear suspension squeaks when braking on an inclined surface while reversing if the car was not used for 2-3 days. Searching on T-BHP gives me different reasons and different solutions.

I am thinking to forget it assuming that some rubber parts get stiff when not used for 2-3 days.
Yes, I'm facing this problem too. It is not very annoying though, so I'm letting it be for the moment. If it becomes worse I'll have it looked into.
Old 28th October 2011, 08:05   #5530
Team-BHP Support

I casually put my finger inside the exhaust pipe today morning while cleaning the Car. It was sticky black liquid substance on the pipes, not much, but still.

Is it un-burnt gas? My Figo doesn't smoke though as I floor it whenever I can, but drive much less compared to earlier. Approx 9,000 kms since past 10 months. (It is a diesel BTW)
Old 28th October 2011, 09:31   #5531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The sticker blocking out need to change oil at first service
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2558983

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-wp_000528.jpg
Engine oil specification in manual from late August 2011

Has there been any change in oil type since 2010? A sticker on the page of service schedule would mean that the manual was not reprinted but still can anyone please check their 2010 manual to compare if there has been a change in oil type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I casually put my finger inside the exhaust pipe today morning while cleaning the Car. It was sticky black liquid substance on the pipes, not much, but still. (It is a diesel BTW)
It reminds me that I often get smell of fresh petrol (not burnt) whenever I start my car (my Figo is petrol one). I used to get that smell from my carburetor Esteem but is it expected from an ECU fit car? Should I worry?

Last edited by DevilsCry : 28th October 2011 at 09:35. Reason: Adding reply to another post
Old 28th October 2011, 09:42   #5532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hot testing against cold testing? (Wish someone would explain what that means)
Hot testing means the engine is actually tested by turning it on either with engine in the car or before engine is installed. That means they put oil, start up the engine and keep it running.

In cold testing they don't fire up the engine. Just turn the crankshaft and make sure it's turning smoothly.

Ofcourse my explanation above is a very simple one and how they exactly test it I'm not sure.

Quote:
So looks to me like I'll have to replace the oil and filter between services since they've not upgraded oil quality.

I think they were using synthetic/semi synthetic from the beginning, the specifications of which are given in the manual and there's no sticker on that page.
Even if it is 10K kms I usually go for an intermediate oil and oil filter change. If you drag it till 10K kms for an oil change the car starts sounding a bit gruff for the last 2K kms.

Mine doesn't have a sticker on the manual and I got the oil changed at 2,500kms.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 09:53   #5533
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I got a call from Mr.Ruchik Shah who happens to be the VP(Service) for Ford India on this past Tuesday.

We had a brief chat about how there are some issues that are common in most Figos right from engine stalling to the headlight fogging & also the steering rack problem in some. I also stressed on the fact that the main bone of contention has been the way Ford representatives especially the SC guys have dealt wih customers.

Ruchik thereby requested me to send across a list of people who are facing issues (any sort) and/or if for some one the customer service has been a point of concern.

Following this, I also had a chat with a Bhpian 'anilisanil' assuming he has also had problems however, it seems Ford has done a decent job with his car & even compensated him in a way that satisfied him. I would request Anil to share & update his experience here on TBHP.

However, whoever is willing to share their problems & contact details, please send me your PMs so that I can forward the details to Ruchik & try to get Ford to pay attention.

Lastly, a feeling that I am harbouring since the past couple of days is that despite taking this initiative with Ford when I am not even a Ford owner, I did not receive any participation from anybody here regarding writing to Ford or a consolidated/combined effort to bring the issues to light & make Ford do something, although it's evident looking at the numerous threads dedicated to Figo that the car has problems & a lot of people are troubled.

I hope, people would come forward & feel motivated to try & make Ford give serious concerns to the problems in their car.

@anil: It would be great if you can update your experience with Ford here on TBHP where they duly compensated you, & I hope that the company can foster similar trust & customer satisfaction elsewhere as well.

Drive safe all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
No response from VP (Sales) yet.

However, is anybody even willing to go the extra mile & do something, or was it just noise? Or maybe, the engine stalling & those other critical issues have been resolved for good.

Will keep the thread posted as & when I hear anything from Ford.

Drive safe all.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 28th October 2011 at 09:56.
blackfire_9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 11:50   #5534
Senior - BHPian

@Velum; my query is about fuel efficiency. Is a car running in 5th gear@1500-1700rpm more fuel efficient than one in 4th gear@2000rpm?
Consider that peak torque is delivered at 2000rpm.
Also at 1500-1700rpm, the turbo is not spooling efficiently.

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 28th October 2011 at 11:51. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 28th October 2011, 13:26   #5535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ya looks like they have been using similar grade oil as earlier, however after extensive testing Ford might have found that there is no need to changing the Oil at 2.5K Km. If the manufacturer says so then we have to believe them as they know their babies best.

I checked the condition of the oil it is still flowing freely and it is not that black (As per the diesel standards) so I think the oil will hold good for the next 7.5 k kms else will change it some time later.

BTW I have not faced any niggling issues (squeaks/rattle) till date as reported by some fellow t-bhpians. I will insist with the service fellows tomorrow not to tinker with any setting of my car as everything is just working perfectly fine.

Yes, in my manual also there is a sticker which hides out the oil /filter replacement portion at 2.5k km.
tj123 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed