Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 09:49   #5476
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I think the ICE does not support IR.
That's too bad for the back seat passengers.
Oh well, they could stream through their phones if they really want control..

-----------------

Another thing I've noticed is that the air in the tyres is not staying constant. If I fill it up to 32 in all tyres, within a few days it comes down to 31 or 30. Is this normal?
Old 21st October 2011, 10:16   #5477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post

Another thing I've noticed is that the air in the tyres is not staying constant. If I fill it up to 32 in all tyres, within a few days it comes down to 31 or 30. Is this normal?
it is normal.

But if you are losing pressure at faster rates then it could be a problem!

BTW why do you check so frequently?

Edit: Just wanted to update that, I visited the service center as I am going on 2K drive. The vehicle was checked for under body damage due to a recent drive on non existent roads (no damage found) and oil levels. The car was washed and delivered free of cost! I did not make it a point to mention it here until I read on this forum that VW showroom in Pune charged @noopster 165 Rs/- for general check up! And he's happy which is when I thought even I should be happy if not happier!! :P Considering that my car is 16 months old and his' less than a year old!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
It happens with mine as well. I check air every 4-5 weeks and notice it requires around 1-2 psi topup.
The pressure measured will have some delta depending on how hot/cold the tyre is .. hope u have accounted for that as well. (FYI, I check air at the beginning of the day when the tyres are cold)
check 4-5 weeks? You need to check once in 2(or max 3) weeks mate, i think that is ideal, 4-5 times is a bit too long for an interval.

Last edited by anilisanil : 21st October 2011 at 10:28.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:24   #5478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
It happens with mine as well. I check air every 4-5 weeks and notice it requires around 1-2 psi topup.
The pressure measured will have some delta depending on how hot/cold the tyre is .. hope u have accounted for that as well. (FYI, I check air at the beginning of the day when the tyres are cold)
Old 21st October 2011, 10:28   #5479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
BTW why do you check so frequently?
I don't, usually, but while driving I got a feel that the air pressure had reduced. So had it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
Thanks, I'll do that.

Last edited by EagleEye : 21st October 2011 at 10:30.
Old 21st October 2011, 11:53   #5480
BHPian

Quote:
Edit: Just wanted to update that, I visited the service center as I am going on 2K drive. The vehicle was checked for under body damage due to a recent drive on non existent roads (no damage found) and oil levels. The car was washed and delivered free of cost! I did not make it a point to mention it here until I read on this forum that VW showroom in Pune charged @noopster 165 Rs/- for general check up! And he's happy which is when I thought even I should be happy if not happier!! :P Considering that my car is 16 months old and his' less than a year old!!

This is great! Which SC is this?

Btw, I did my 20k servicing at Planet Ford last week, it cost me @4k. They did adjusted the rear window lever for my complaint of glass rolling down. The SA said they don't do add any extra packing to the glass (as shown by someone else in this thread as a solution from Ford) but just adjust the lever position. They adjusted it to let's say as if the clock hand is on 2, I have yet to experience the glass roll down but I haven't travelled on highway with someone sitting at the back as well. Really sceptical about this solution.

During this servicing, they mentioned their wheel balancing machine is not working so I asked them not to do wheel balancing and alignment. Planning to get it done from outside, I have 2 options - Darshan Tyres on FC road or Lokmanya on Karve road, any suggestions about these 2?

I am also thinking of filling up Nitrogen in all tyres to improve the tyre life and decrease frequency of having to check the tyre pressure. Has anyone done this? How is the experience? On the agriculture college pump, they said first time Nitrogen fill will cost me 150 bucks and later top up for each tyre will cost Rs. 5.

EDIT: I as well noticed that with tyre pressure 32, I see the front tyres a little pressed down, if I make it 33-34, they look the way they should for correct tyre pressure. Maybe this is an issue with the calibration at the pump where I am filling air!

Last edited by Figopian : 21st October 2011 at 11:56.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:00   #5481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
This is great! Which SC is this?
Takera.

Quote:

I am also thinking of filling up Nitrogen in all tyres to improve the tyre life and decrease frequency of having to check the tyre pressure. Has anyone done this? How is the experience? On the agriculture college pump, they said first time Nitrogen fill will cost me 150 bucks and later top up for each tyre will cost Rs. 5.

No need of Nitrogen. Air is more than 75% nitrogen so it does not make sense to pay so much just for that 25% more. Why would Nitrogen require lesser frequency, it is a gas and it would escape as frequently as others. There are many threads on the forum discussing the same. IMO it is waste of money!
Old 21st October 2011, 12:22   #5482
BHPian

Quote:
Takera.

No need of Nitrogen. Air is more than 75% nitrogen so it does not make sense to pay so much just for that 25% more. Why would Nitrogen require lesser frequency, it is a gas and it would escape as frequently as others. There are many threads on the forum discussing the same. IMO it is waste of money!
This was based on my friend's experience where he says he checks tyre pressure once in 2 months and it doesn;t reduce much with Nitrogen. Also, the heating of tyre is reduced which I assume will help increasing "some" life for the MRF ZVTS? No?
Old 21st October 2011, 12:26   #5483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was based on my friend's experience where he says he checks tyre pressure once in 2 months and it doesn;t reduce much with Nitrogen. Also, the heating of tyre is reduced which I assume will help increasing "some" life for the MRF ZVTS? No?

You are talking about two myths!!

One is of Nitrogen and another is aging MRFs.

MRFs never age, they just become hard as wood, believe me the only sound that permeates through the cabin is the tires' rup-rup-rup!! Gosh, I feel as if I am driving a car with wooden wheels!

To answer your question there are no perceivable advantages of N2. But then there are no perceivable advantages from Beer and women, people still drink and marry, so it is up to you!
Old 21st October 2011, 12:29   #5484
BHPian

Quote:
You are talking about two myths!!

One is of Nitrogen and another is aging MRFs.

MRFs never age, they just become hard as wood, believe me the only sound that permeates through the cabin is the tires' rup-rup-rup!! Gosh, I feel as if I am driving a car with wooden wheels!

To answer your question there are no perceivable advantages of N2. But then there are no perceivable advantages from Beer and women, people still drink and marry, so it is up to you!
Ha ha! good one!! I love beer and I am married!!
So I will think before actually getting into this...

Now searching the threads on T-bhp for any discussions on N2.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:38   #5485
Distinguished - BHPian

There's a thread on this nitrogen myth, please check.

@anil. Good point.
The Ford service centre guys in my experience are a lot more courteous and helpful (free pick-up and drop, goodwill warranty etc.) than say Honda or VW. The troubleshooting and 'first time fix' area is where they need to improve for sure. If it's a general service, then these guys always bring a smile in the face.
Old 21st October 2011, 13:15   #5486
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the agriculture college pump, they said first time Nitrogen fill will cost me 150 bucks and later top up for each tyre will cost Rs. 5.
EDIT: I as well noticed that with tyre pressure 32, I see the front tyres a little pressed down, if I make it 33-34, they look the way they should for correct tyre pressure. Maybe this is an issue with the calibration at the pump where I am filling air!
which fuel pump is this? . Nitrogen is totally free in Coimbatore and even they do not accept tip . It is Rs10/- per tire in chennai for complete refill. + or - 1 pound of air pressure do not make any difference.
As rightly said by you, the problem is with the pressure gauges used in various pumps.

@kiku - Yes. Ford is better. Also the personal rapport with the SC guys helps a lot.

Last edited by RGK : 21st October 2011 at 13:16.
Old 21st October 2011, 13:21   #5487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
which fuel pump is this? . Nitrogen is totally free in Coimbatore and even they do not accept tip . It is Rs10/- per tire in chennai for complete refill. + or - 1 pound of air pressure do not make any difference.
As rightly said by you, the problem is with the pressure gauges used in various pumps.

@kiku - Yes. Ford is better. Also the personal rapport with the SC guys helps a lot.
In Pune, its free only for air not for Nitrogen yet. I was talking about one HP pump.
So does that mean you all fill up only Nitrogen in Coimbatore. I would assume if its free it's worth filling Nitrogen instead of air?
Old 21st October 2011, 13:35   #5488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
There's a thread on this nitrogen myth, please check.

@anil. Good point.
The Ford service centre guys in my experience are a lot more courteous and helpful (free pick-up and drop, goodwill warranty etc.) than say Honda or VW. The troubleshooting and 'first time fix' area is where they need to improve for sure. If it's a general service, then these guys always bring a smile in the face.
From my experience, Nitrogen helps in reduced number of air check. My frequency of air pressure check is once in 2 months. Once i went from Chennai to Hyd, stayed there for 6 weeks (during hot summer) and back to Chennai and haven't checked the air in between. When i checked after i back to Chennai it is less than 2 points difference.

I went to MPL OMR service center in Chennai y'day to check the rattling sound which was coming from the back of the car (after fixing appointment). As per them, the sound should be because of some minor hit from the back and they rectified it now. The service is good and they haven't charged any.
Old 21st October 2011, 13:56   #5489
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Pune, its free only for air not for Nitrogen yet. I was talking about one HP pump.
So does that mean you all fill up only Nitrogen in Coimbatore. I would assume if its free it's worth filling Nitrogen instead of air?
Yes. Most of the cars refuelling in that IOCL pump fill Nitrogen only.

Need to check that Nitrogen thread. If there is no major advantage, then it is waste of time for the Nitrogen air in the pump.

@Devakumar - Yes MPL- OMR is really good and they normally do not charge for any small fixes. They are constructing another SC near Kamakshi Hospital with all facilities. This would bring down the present load now.

Last edited by RGK : 21st October 2011 at 14:00.
Old 21st October 2011, 14:11   #5490
BHPian

Since we discussed about the Nitrogen, here is the link to the thread for reference - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...trogen-51.html

The takeaway from that thread as anilisanil said is it's ok to fill air for our normal driving conditions. Just need to ensure that the air we fill is DRY enough (Not that we can check the moisture content but see that you are not filling up air where the pump is near the washing station etc.), not that it matters much but still a takeaway from that thread!

I guess I am going to stick to normal (DRY!) air
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks