Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 15:35   #5266
RGK
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Figo owners---one quick question:-

A colleague of mine bought a Figo 2 months ago. A few days back his AC was not working. He pointed this out when he gave his car for servicing yesterday.

Today they called him and said the AC pipe has been damaged, probably by hitting a speed-breaker or a stone. He does not recall any such incident, except bottoming out on a pothole a month ago. He was told that it would cost Rs 3500 to replace and fill the gas, and that it would not be covered under warranty, or by insurance.

Is this a common issue with Figos? How can Ford deny a warranty claim. That apart, why wont it be covered by insurance if it is deemed to be caused by a stone hit or a hump?

I called my SA from Mody Ford (not the dealier he bought the Figo from), and was told that this is a common issue with the Figo. He told me that the pipe is lower than a Fiesta, and there were a few cases with their workshop also where the warranty was refused. I did not ask him about the insurance coverage, as I did not have that information when I called him.

Any inputs from you guys will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Yes. AC problems due to damage of pipe is not covered under warranty. For that matter, the AC condenser which is vulnerable to stone hits (placed very close the front grille) is not covered under warranty. The cost is around 11k .
But I think this can be claimed by insurance. But need to convince that it happened due to a small accident.

Due to poor GC, the car is prone to these kind of issues when driven in bad roads.

Better ask your friend to physically see the damage or dent caused by stone or hump and then accept. There are lot of chances of manufacturing defects.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:12   #5267
Senior - BHPian

Similiar incident happened to me in my Cedia. Some stones hit my AC condenser and it developed a small leak. When the gas ran out, AC stopped working. I was able to get insurance claim on it thanks to a friendly SA at Southern Motors.

Maybe you should show the car to another dealer and insist on helping with insurance claim. If the pipe was hit by a stone/bump, no way can you claim warranty.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:28   #5268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Yes. AC problems due to damage of pipe is not covered under warranty. For that matter, the AC condenser which is vulnerable to stone hits (placed very close the front grille) is not covered under warranty. The cost is around 11k .
But I think this can be claimed by insurance. But need to convince that it happened due to a small accident.

Due to poor GC, the car is prone to these kind of issues when driven in bad roads.

Better ask your friend to physically see the damage or dent caused by stone or hump and then accept. There are lot of chances of manufacturing defects.
Is it possible to put a metal guard under the entire engine bay? Has anybody discussed it with their SA yet?

I think even if some money is spent on this, it'll be well worth it. Right now I get afraid even when the front wheels splash water - what if some if gets into some electricals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Yes I need to do little bit of experimentation with 1st and 2nd gears on a open stretch to decide the correct practice of low speed driving without riding the clutch. Hope with tip you have provided it will become habit soon. Getting acquainted with Diesels Low end torque is a tricky part.

One of my close Friend owns Tavera he just took a small drive few days ago and he just drove Figo at home without any stalling or similar hiccups. By just engine noise or pickup feels he was slotting proper gears in all sorts of situations. May be My driving habits of M800 for a very long time are not changing so easily.

I learnt driving on a wagonR and after 3k km of which at least 2k were done a 1st+2nd gear condition you mentioned, still can't get a hang of it.

What you can try is turning off the AC - for some reason not only does the engine deliver more noticeably more power, it is much better behaved in 1st-2nd-1st-2nd kind of situations.

Also running the 1st at a higher rpm (as high as 2k- 2.2k is fine for short duration I think) rather than shifting to 2nd, only to shift back within seconds is better when speed is less than 15kmph. Over 12kmph I try not to use 1st at all - unless there is an incline (or AC is on), the engine generates enough power at idle to propel even the loaded car, and the min speed in 2nd is less than 12kmph at idle.

EDIT: by the way, while riding the clutch is unquestionably a bad practice in general - if you are stuck in a situation where you have to shift between 1st and 2nd every five seconds (HiTech city-KPHB travellers in HYD would know what I'm talking about) then basically by riding the clutch you probably will do not much more harm than would happen anyway. Whenever you shift gears there is always some clutch slipping no matter how good a "rev match" you think you can get, and in this kind of road conditions there is no way you can pay any attention to speedo/tacho - and surrounding traffic moves more or less with you so your eyes can not give good input regarding speed (though ears can tell rpm).

I think you'll do yourself a favour if you stop worrying about conventional wisdom regarding clutch slipping, get used to this kind of traffic first, and then when you can handle it (even with a little bit of slipping the clutch) then get rid of the clutch slipping habit slowly.

Last edited by vina : 15th September 2011 at 19:36.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:58   #5269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I think you'll do yourself a favour if you stop worrying about conventional wisdom regarding clutch slipping, get used to this kind of traffic first, and then when you can handle it (even with a little bit of slipping the clutch) then get rid of the clutch slipping habit slowly.
Well, it comes down to the behavioural differences between a petrol car vs a diesel. The best part about driving a diesel car is the huge compression that you can use to gain momentum without having to slip the clutch. In my opinion, it is an advantage in city driving. As a matter of fact, it is the primary reason I choose to own and drive the Figo Diesel. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the peace of mind and ease that I get from it, cannot be given up!
Old 15th September 2011, 20:04   #5270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. AC problems due to damage of pipe is not covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Similiar incident happened to me in my Cedia. Some stones hit my AC condenser and it developed a small leak. When the gas ran out, AC stopped working. I was able to get insurance claim on it thanks to a friendly SA at Southern Motors.

Maybe you should show the car to another dealer and insist on helping with insurance claim. If the pipe was hit by a stone/bump, no way can you claim warranty.
Thanks guys for sharing this information. My colleague did visit the service center and inspect the damage. There was indeed a dent below the bumper and the pipe was damaged. He thinks it must have happened a week after he bought the car, when he was exiting from his parking space at home, and going up a steep incline to the road.
He was told that he can claim insurance, but gas and liquids would not be allowed under insurance, which means out of Rs 3500, nearly 2000 would not be allowed. And I believe only 50% of the pipe change would be allowed.

Keeping the compulsory deduction of Rs 500 in mind, and the fact that he claimed insurance once already to replace his rear windscreen, I told him to find out how much it would cost if he did not claim insurance, and then decide whether it was worth staking a claim.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:36   #5271
BHPian

2nd gear in figo is bit weired as it seems to me. Rather I would like put it this way, getting used to driving in 2nd gear needs more practice. Anyways tomorrow the SR dealing with me is going to visit my office regarding a prospective referred by me to him. I will go for a ride with him and observe what he does in similar situation and try to learn. Since my friend who drove Figo first time was at home and could easily manipulate in similar situation I am confident that I can also learn that with tips and bit of practice. Car is still under 2.8K KMs on ODO and I might have driven in traffic conditions for less than 1K KMs, so its natural that i would not be able to drive it as fluently as M800 which has 325K KM on ODO mostly driven by me in all sorts of terrains and traffic,weather conditions.

Regarding Head lamps, In dry weather conditions I am finding its illuminating road quite enough for my driving speeds on city roads. I have noticed that in wet conditions its bit troubling and I have to drive very cautiously. However on 2lane roads and highways its altogether different story. With on coming traffic lights it is very stressful to drive it. Seriously Thinking of either 90/100 or Hella 500FF installation. By this month end I am going to finalize either of them. Similarly will get Sunfilms installed to cope up with OCT. heat. Last two days we are getting occasional sun and i felt it quite intensely in Figo due its Generous Glass Area like M800. As of today I am very happy with my decision and enjoying other useful features, good music system and Best Ride quality.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:48   #5272
BHPian

Quote:
2nd gear in figo is bit weired as it seems to me. Rather I would like put it this way, getting used to driving in 2nd gear needs more practice. Anyways tomorrow the SR dealing with me is going to visit my office regarding a prospective referred by me to him. I will go for a ride with him and observe what he does in similar situation and try to learn. Since my friend who drove Figo first time was at home and could easily manipulate in similar situation I am confident that I can also learn that with tips and bit of practice. Car is still under 2.8K KMs on ODO and I might have driven in traffic conditions for less than 1K KMs, so its natural that i would not be able to drive it as fluently as M800 which has 325K KM on ODO mostly driven by me in all sorts of terrains and traffic,weather conditions.

All I would suggest is to not overthink this. Just drive around some more, and let it come naturally. If you still have trouble, then get your tavera friend to help out. I had the benefit of driving big diesels for a while, which is probably why it is second nature for me.

Regarding Head lamps, In dry weather conditions I am finding its illuminating road quite enough for my driving speeds on city roads. I have noticed that in wet conditions its bit troubling and I have to drive very cautiously. However on 2lane roads and highways its altogether different story. With on coming traffic lights it is very stressful to drive it. Seriously Thinking of either 90/100 or Hella 500FF installation.
Hella's will solve all your trouble's for sure. I have installed the OEM fog lamps, which are sufficient for my lighting needs. I have installed clear film on the windshield, and 55% dark film on the remaining glass.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:12   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
All I would suggest is to not overthink this. Just drive around some more, and let it come naturally. If you still have trouble, then get your tavera friend to help out. I had the benefit of driving big diesels for a while, which is probably why it is second nature for me.
Hella's will solve all your trouble's for sure. I have installed the OEM fog lamps, which are sufficient for my lighting needs. I have installed clear film on the windshield, and 55% dark film on the remaining glass.
Well, I am not either worried or Over thinking rather I am trying to accelerate my learning process. About a month ago I got similar general tips about driving diesels which helped me keeping engine noise to minimum and have car in its power band, now in some specific situation I have got a very valuable tip from you. I think this way I will become fluent Figo driver soon. I remember when we First time climbed "Khambataki Ghat" (NH4 Pune - Kolhapur) I have to take Figo in First gear many times but last Trip couple of days ago Same section I could negotiate in 3rd and 4th gear with A/C and 4 on board. I manged to get acquainted with Figo for highways much faster than City Driving as opposed to M800 where it was exactly opposite. I think Ford Cars are meant specifically for Highways, I dont feel any fatigue after Driving for 250KM at a stretch as i used to get with M800 even with Break at Satara for 20/30 Mins.

Thanks for hella tip also. S.C. guys are giving guidance about how it can be fitted on "front Dog Bar Plate" but I have to get it done from Outside since they cant do it there. Offcoarse there will be some warranty issues but Life is priceless, I cant take risk of Life due to poor lighting of Figo. But I will try to make them easily removable and Installable so that warranty risks are minimized.

For sunfilms due to Budget problems I am going for Garaware IceShield 80% for Front and NF40 40% for sides only, cost is @5K. No rear films since defogger is there. Mostly with minor fund adjustment i will try to get 50% films for side.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:57   #5274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
This is firmware upgrade for ECU ...
Since this is an Engine ECU firmware upgrade there should not be any increase in rattle of dash board cluster! Also not too sure if there is any cluster software upgrade (if you meant the on board meter clusters).
Actually the SA said that he had to remove the glass over the cluster for doing the upgrade. After fitting it back there is a rattle on bad roads. He readjusted it but the rattle persists. It stops if i put a finger on the glass.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:42   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Another thing, I don't have 90/100 bulbs in my car but during the rains both the headlights are getting fogged up
Anyone else facing this problem with the 55/60 bulbs?
Old 15th September 2011, 22:52   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Another thing, I don't have 90/100 bulbs in my car but during the rains both the headlights are getting fogged up
Anyone else facing this problem with the 55/60 bulbs?
I think "Sealed HL Cluster" is a Ford marketing gimmick. Many say that HL misting will take place if HL Cluster Back cap is Punctured and not sealed properly. CaptainSlow in your case vapor is entering into so called "Sealed Cluster" in my case I found a dead bug in right side HL reflector. It seems that there are enough gaps in sealed cluster to allow Mosquito sized bug to get in. I am just speechless.
Old 15th September 2011, 23:27   #5277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think "Sealed HL Cluster" is a Ford marketing gimmick. Many say that HL misting will take place if HL Cluster Back cap is Punctured and not sealed properly. CaptainSlow in your case vapor is entering into so called "Sealed Cluster" in my case I found a dead bug in right side HL reflector. It seems that there are enough gaps in sealed cluster to allow Mosquito sized bug to get in. I am just speechless.

Exactly! wow you have bugs inside the HL cluster? how did it manage that? Maybe your HL acts like an insect lamp. Have you tried getting them replaced under warranty ?
But I never had this problem until this monsoon. So I am guessing something went wrong somewhere! I got my car last march and driven it across all kinds weather conditions.

This problem started yesterday and today its become worse! the entire HL is covered with mist. but yes this is a series QC issue.

Anyone else facing this problem ?
Old 16th September 2011, 00:04   #5278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks guys for sharing this information. My colleague did visit the service center and inspect the damage. There was indeed a dent below the bumper and the pipe was damaged. He thinks it must have happened a week after he bought the car, when he was exiting from his parking space at home, and going up a steep incline to the road.
He was told that he can claim insurance, but gas and liquids would not be allowed under insurance, which means out of Rs 3500, nearly 2000 would not be allowed. And I believe only 50% of the pipe change would be allowed.

Keeping the compulsory deduction of Rs 500 in mind, and the fact that he claimed insurance once already to replace his rear windscreen, I told him to find out how much it would cost if he did not claim insurance, and then decide whether it was worth staking a claim.
If he has already claimed insurance once this year then he doesnt lose anything by claiming it again. Ask him to go ahead and claim, even if he gets Rs 1/- from insurance company
Old 16th September 2011, 12:47   #5279
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Exactly! wow you have bugs inside the HL cluster? how did it manage that? Maybe your HL acts like an insect lamp. Have you tried getting them replaced under warranty ?
But I never had this problem until this monsoon. So I am guessing something went wrong somewhere! I got my car last march and driven it across all kinds weather conditions.

This problem started yesterday and today its become worse! the entire HL is covered with mist. but yes this is a series QC issue.

Anyone else facing this problem ?
Yes. QC failures lead to these kind of issues.

Got my car from SC yesterday. They found steering rack faulty and replaced it under warranty. Done alignment also. The SC guys were really courteous and updated the developments regularly. Eventhough I am relaxed now, this is the 4th part replacement in my car within 15months of ownership and 15k odo reading.
Bit worried what am I going to do post warranty if these kind of problems occur?.

I think my car jumped over the QC tests and landed in the delivery dept directly. Car is good but I am unlucky.
Old 16th September 2011, 14:34   #5280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. QC failures lead to these kind of issues.

Got my car from SC yesterday. They found steering rack faulty and replaced it under warranty. Done alignment also. The SC guys were really courteous and updated the developments regularly. Eventhough I am relaxed now, this is the 4th part replacement in my car within 15months of ownership and 15k odo reading.
Bit worried what am I going to do post warranty if these kind of problems occur?.

I think my car jumped over the QC tests and landed in the delivery dept directly. Car is good but I am unlucky.
Come on be positive! How about thinking that the parts that are supposed to fail post warranty period are failing prematurely and there would be no part to fail after warranty period?

In that way you are one Lucky man :P
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks