Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 12:38   #5251
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
My DTE system started acting up a bit. On the other day I was just checking the DTE figures and was surprised to see the numbers, they are changing like the milli secs on a stop watch varying from 560 to 630 and back continuously, it stopped when I turned the ignition off and on. This repeated only once. Luckily I could record a video of the same.

Also, ever since, the fuel gauge was showing erroneous reading towards empty. Previously I used to fill 35-38 lts when fuel gauge showed E completely, but recently tank fills up at 30-32 lts.

Yesterday I had some work in Chinchwad and the service center was just a few kms away, so decided to make a visit. I explained the problem and showed the video, so they had to check the fuel sump and electronic float that gives the signal for fuel level. They wanted to change the float, but I asked them to show me the existing one was faulty.

So we got a multimeter and checked the reading at various levels of float, for new and the old pieces. The readings were exactly the same, so the matter has been forwarded to ford along with the video.

They also have upgraded my ECU firmware claiming that it actually lessens the noise. I am not too sure about noise, but I feel the performance of my car bettered. I observed that while the same amount of acceleration used to take my car to where abouts of 80-90, she is now racing to 100 :O! Now this is something nice :P
I have the same exact issue in my car, I have seen this twice already, DTE acts up and jumps from say 500's to 600's randomly. Since my car has done 19k, I will get this fixed during next service.

OT - Till now had witnessed the engine dying thingy just once, but it happened again yesterday night, when I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and speed was around 30 or so. The fuel quality just cant be bad cos I have been filling up all my cars from the same outlet. All I can think of is that on both the ocassions, the car engine was relatively cold. It happened in say the first 2-3 kms of running.
Old 14th September 2011, 17:25   #5252
BHPian

@RGK,

I hope you don't have non OE tyres/alloys.

I am having steering rack noise & Ford is not in a mood to honour warranty although steering rack issue is present in many Figos which are running on OE wheels/tyres.

Worse still, Ford SA is unable to explain what has gone wrong in the rack due to non OE alloys except for repeating "who asked you to put non OE rims" & "steering rack needs replacement"
Old 14th September 2011, 17:31   #5253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They also have upgraded my ECU firmware claiming that it actually lessens the noise. I am not too sure about noise, but I feel the performance of my car bettered. I observed that while the same amount of acceleration used to take my car to where abouts of 80-90, she is now racing to 100 :O! Now this is something nice :P
Is there a way to possibly to check the Engine ECU firmware version ?
Old 14th September 2011, 18:22   #5254
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
@RGK,

I hope you don't have non OE tyres/alloys.

I am having steering rack noise & Ford is not in a mood to honour warranty although steering rack issue is present in many Figos which are running on OE wheels/tyres.

Worse still, Ford SA is unable to explain what has gone wrong in the rack due to non OE alloys except for repeating "who asked you to put non OE rims" & "steering rack needs replacement"
Absolutely. Just spoke to the SA and he said, work is still going on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Is there a way to possibly to check the Engine ECU firmware version ?
This would help everyone to go for the latest version. I think you need a laptop, USB to EBD connector and the Ford's application.
I think this cannot be tested by vehicle owners.
Old 14th September 2011, 21:13   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
- they want to replace thermostat housing as there is a recall on it
What's this and its use?

Quote:

What was the old firmware number and what's the new one? Was the update mentioned on the bill? Would let the dealer know abt this firmware update and will get it done asap to get more juice out of the engine.
Old 14th September 2011, 21:14   #5256
BHPian

Could anybody tell me what amount of Petrol would be there in reserve, when the DTE shows 80, I could find the total tank capacity in Manual, nothing else :-(
Old 14th September 2011, 22:55   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english
Could anybody tell me what amount of Petrol would be there in reserve, when the DTE shows 80, I could find the total tank capacity in Manual, nothing else :-(
you cannot ascertain that there is X amount of fuel when dte shows 80. it is based on one.s driving style over many kilometers. I refuel when it is 40 on dte.
as to how many liters of fuel only way you can find is basedby the age old method of mathematical division of dte by your average mileage

Last edited by figo_mba : 14th September 2011 at 22:57.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:38   #5258
BHPian

hmmm, but I need to find out the average fuel efficiency.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:51   #5259
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
This is firmware upgrade for ECU which is aimed at lessening the engine noise by varying the engine parameters. My car had no such issue, but I could see that for a Fiesta TDCi; the diesel clatter was very apparent, especially when the engine was loaded (ac on). They upgraded the firmware before me and the clatter (of the Fiesta) was subsided to large extent.

Since this is an Engine ECU firmware upgrade there should not be any increase in rattle of dash board cluster! Also not too sure if there is any cluster software upgrade (if you meant the on board meter clusters).
Today I happened to be at dealership for some minor work after First Service. I inquired with them about ECU upgrade. They dont have any clue about it and told plainly that if there would have been any such upgrade they would have got info from Ford. When I tried to convince that At Pune it has been done then they told me that they will raise query with Ford and let me know but by past experience I am sure that they will not do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
What was the old firmware number and what's the new one? Was the update mentioned on the bill? Would let the dealer know abt this firmware update and will get it done asap to get more juice out of the engine.
@anilisanil I am also interested in details about the said upgrade so please provide us the additional information. If possible let me know which A.S.S.C. has done this so that I can tell our A.S.S.C. to check with those people.

Now ODO reads 2700 KM and car is freeing up very nicely. The engine is getting more silent and driving it is a pleasure now. I am also getting habituated to it and all initial inconveniences like Stalling in tight traffic conditions, problems while shifting gears etc. etc. are almost Zero now. I am able to drive it at home since I am getting used to its Dimensions, Engine/Car dynamics and gear shifting peculiarities. However I think I need to have more practice with 2nd gear driving in congested traffic situation.

Some times when engine is cold and in 2nd gear it stalls even today also. Can experienced drivers share some tips about driving in 2nd gear and situations like U turn, need speed less than the speed at which it chugs without any accelerator. These are the cases when I have stalled the engine. One thing i noticed is if I remove foot from accelerator and try to press clutch slightly I feel that speed has increased as if car is rushing forward rather than expected speed reduction. It makes me panic and to brake hard, this results in engine stalling. Time being I am practicing to downshift to First gear when such things are anticipated or a U turn is to be Taken but I don't know whether its a good practice or not. Since its quite cold here AC is off all the time and I know from various reviews about AC and 2nd gear that matter will tend to worst with AC on.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:53   #5260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english View Post
hmmm, but I need to find out the average fuel efficiency.
Well, the best way to find out FE is the tank full to tank full method.

If not, the next time you fill fuel, make a note of the odo reading and the DTE(before filling). Lets assume DTE is at 'X'. Afterwhich, drive on for say, a month and keep a tab of the fuel filled everytime.

When you feel like calculating the average, for the last month, wait till the DTE becomes X again. Afterwhich, check the odo reading. (Odo2-Odo1)/total fuel used during the month, gives you the average efficiency for the month.

Last edited by dhanushs : 14th September 2011 at 23:55.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:21   #5261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post

Some times when engine is cold and in 2nd gear it stalls even today also. Can experienced drivers share some tips about driving in 2nd gear and situations like U turn, need speed less than the speed at which it chugs without any accelerator. These are the cases when I have stalled the engine. One thing i noticed is if I remove foot from accelerator and try to press clutch slightly I feel that speed has increased as if car is rushing forward rather than expected speed reduction. It makes me panic and to brake hard, this results in engine stalling. Time being I am practicing to downshift to First gear when such things are anticipated or a U turn is to be Taken but I don't know whether its a good practice or not. Since its quite cold here AC is off all the time and I know from various reviews about AC and 2nd gear that matter will tend to worst with AC on.
I have a brand new Figo Titanium Tdci (~1000km) and have been driving another figo for about 7 months now. In 2nd gear without A pedal input, the car does propel itself more than the driver expects, and when you press the clutch lever slightly, it will behave as you see it as you haven't disengaged the engine from the transmission entirely(a bad idea in any situation, riding the clutch is a major no-no). What you need to do when chugging along without acc in 2nd, is to brake gently without any knocking. if you need to slow down a lot, then press the brake and clutch simultaneously to ensure you don't stall it, then downshift to first and match the revs to continue without jerks(difficult to write, easier in real life). At very slow speeds (slower than 2nd gear allows), you should be driving in 1st as you yourself observed. The key point being, stay in the right gear/rev range for the right speed, and anticipate whether traffic ahead of you is slowing down or speeding up.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:47   #5262
Senior - BHPian

sorry guys, my SA refused to share the details of the firmware, it seems it is confidential and I am not even supposed to share the details with anyone. Weird, but I am in no mood to pick an argument with him (he is a nice guy :P)

The bottom line is I went there with a complaint of high engine noise while idling and he checked the ECU and changed the firmware. And please be informed that there is no way I could know that the performance increased or decreased, I am just assuming that it did. I did feel so, but there is no way I can quantify the same.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:41   #5263
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry guys, my SA refused to share the details of the firmware, it seems it is confidential and I am not even supposed to share the details with anyone. Weird, but I am in no mood to pick an argument with him (he is a nice guy :P)

The bottom line is I went there with a complaint of high engine noise while idling and he checked the ECU and changed the firmware. And please be informed that there is no way I could know that the performance increased or decreased, I am just assuming that it did. I did feel so, but there is no way I can quantify the same.
Nothing can be done here Anil. Can you check whether Ford had advised to all SC's.

My car still in the SC for steering noise. Came to know that the diagnosis is going on and the technicians suspect the steering rack and may be replaced if necessary.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:50   #5264
Senior - BHPian

Figo owners---one quick question:-

A colleague of mine bought a Figo 2 months ago. A few days back his AC was not working. He pointed this out when he gave his car for servicing yesterday.

Today they called him and said the AC pipe has been damaged, probably by hitting a speed-breaker or a stone. He does not recall any such incident, except bottoming out on a pothole a month ago. He was told that it would cost Rs 3500 to replace and fill the gas, and that it would not be covered under warranty, or by insurance.

Is this a common issue with Figos? How can Ford deny a warranty claim. That apart, why wont it be covered by insurance if it is deemed to be caused by a stone hit or a hump?

I called my SA from Mody Ford (not the dealier he bought the Figo from), and was told that this is a common issue with the Figo. He told me that the pipe is lower than a Fiesta, and there were a few cases with their workshop also where the warranty was refused. I did not ask him about the insurance coverage, as I did not have that information when I called him.

Any inputs from you guys will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:15   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
In 2nd gear without A pedal input, the car does propel itself more than the driver expects,

This is what makes me little bit panic and further action of braking hard.

and when you press the clutch lever slightly, it will behave as you see it as you haven't disengaged the engine from the transmission entirely(a bad idea in any situation, riding the clutch is a major no-no).

Yes I am aware of half clutch riding consequences so I am trying to avoid put foot on clutch in such low speed situations and in 2nd gear.

What you need to do when chugging along without acc in 2nd, is to brake gently without any knocking. if you need to slow down a lot, then press the brake and clutch simultaneously to ensure you don't stall it, then downshift to first and match the revs to continue without jerks(difficult to write, easier in real life).

Thanks a lot for a valuable tip, I will start practicing the same. I think this is key for Figo 2nd gear characteristics.

At very slow speeds (slower than 2nd gear allows), you should be driving in 1st as you yourself observed. The key point being, stay in the right gear/rev range for the right speed, and anticipate whether traffic ahead of you is slowing down or speeding up.
Yes I need to do little bit of experimentation with 1st and 2nd gears on a open stretch to decide the correct practice of low speed driving without riding the clutch. Hope with tip you have provided it will become habit soon. Getting acquainted with Diesels Low end torque is a tricky part.

One of my close Friend owns Tavera he just took a small drive few days ago and he just drove Figo at home without any stalling or similar hiccups. By just engine noise or pickup feels he was slotting proper gears in all sorts of situations. May be My driving habits of M800 for a very long time are not changing so easily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks