Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 18:51   #5176
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I have upgraded to 90/100 bulbs. And I am puzzled - why puncture anything? The new bulbs slotted into the existing holders just fine. Wiring kit and relay installation was simply a case of replacing existing wire and finding a place to mount the relay.

And, I have been using these bulbs from the past 9 months. I drive a lot at night. So far, no melting/fading etc etc.
That really helps i need to get the Bulbs changed and i am sure this is the best time to do it before i end up killig some one in dark .

i was always wondering if i drill a hole in the back of the covers i would never be able toput it back to the original settings. thanks for the reply.
Old 7th September 2011, 00:38   #5177
BHPian

Quote:
I have upgraded to 90/100 bulbs. And I am puzzled - why puncture anything? The new bulbs slotted into the existing holders just fine. Wiring kit and relay installation was simply a case of replacing existing wire and finding a place to mount the relay.

And, I have been using these bulbs from the past 9 months. I drive a lot at night. So far, no melting/fading etc etc.
Thanks KiloAlpha For confidence inspiring post. I think you have already advocated 90/100 bulbs couple of weeks ago to me when I posted First Time about HL upgradation. I am planning 90/100 for sure since it gives optimal performance (I cant say best) at convenient cost with minimal threat to warranty. I have spoken to Floor manager as per him warranty issues will be restricted only to Reflectors and Front lens but you dont know when they will attribute other electrical problems to the relays and Bulbs. Anyhow I am thinking to do upgrade with calculated risk of warranty.

Now about puncturing cap for HL cluster. I discussed this with Mechanic and here are his thoughts. The Lamps will be slotted in reflectors as stocks are fitted. The Stock Power socket is taken in HL cover at some unreachable place and the socket is attached to Bulb plugs. The cover for HL cluster has cap on backside by removing which one can reach to power socket and bulbs for replacements. the cover protects HL cluster and power sockets from water dust etc. etc. Now when 90/100W are to be installed the wiring kit has 4 sockets two for bulbs, 1 for relay and 1 attaches to stock socket for Dim/full signals.

He plans to run wiring parallel to Bracket where bonnet lock is Fitted so to take bulbs sockets in to HL Cluster Cover He wants to drill hole. But I am differing with him and asked him to study more how Stock wiring is taken into that cover and route new Wiring from same place otherwise I am going to drop this project with him and will get done from somebody else who will be able to do it in proper way (Just a threat actually its difficult to do that since he is my relative). So kiloaplha If you know how its done please give some hints so that I can pass it on to Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Mr Patil, actually the head lamps have a rear cover, so to route the wires the covers would need to have holes in them, its fairly simple but i am sure a dedicated person can do a good job as they would need to seal the holes after the install is done...
Desideep is it not possible to Route 90/100 wiring kit wires and socket be routed through same space as Stock Wire and Sockets are routed ? It can be just replacement to stock wiring and sockets and Stock Sockets can be securely tied in engine bay. I am bit afraid to have holes in Cover caps.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th September 2011 at 09:18. Reason: Merging posts. Kindly refrain for posting back to back posts within 30mins.
Old 7th September 2011, 07:16   #5178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Desideep is it not possible to Route 90/100 wiring kit wires and socket be routed through same space as Stock Wire and Sockets are routed ? It can be just replacement to stock wiring and sockets and Stock Sockets can be securely tied in engine bay. I am bit afraid to have holes in Cover caps.
I am sure it is. i am going to try the same tomorrow and if possible will try to make a video. though i am not very good at documenting.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:19   #5179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I am sure it is. i am going to try the same tomorrow and if possible will try to make a video. though i am not very good at documenting.
Thanks Desideep,

Few Photographs will also be sufficient to indicate how 90/100 wiring is Taken in to Cover for HL Cluster. I can show them to Mechanic and Get it done without puncturing the cover. Puncturing cover means inviting some trouble due to water seepage and dust accumulation. In case of some big warranty issues we can just remove the extra wiring and pretend as if It was not done at all.
Old 7th September 2011, 14:04   #5180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have upgraded to 90/100 bulbs. And I am puzzled - why puncture anything? The new bulbs slotted into the existing holders just fine.
Kilo Alpha, one of the main components of the upgrade is the ceramic holder, which is capable of handing the additional heat of the bulb upgrade. Unless it is proven, i would not recommend, running upgraded bulbs on stock holders.
Quote:
Wiring kit and relay installation was simply a case of replacing existing wire and finding a place to mount the relay.
Could you please post a pic, of the wiring?. Cos, in the IKON, its a sealed kit, and no wires enter directly into the assembly. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2478808

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, I happened to discover a pretty amusing feature in the Figo. The ICE volume will automatically go up, when the engine sound (rpm) goes up!!.. Now how cool is that?.

P.S: Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Old 7th September 2011, 14:12   #5181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, I happened to discover a pretty amusing feature in the Figo. The ICE volume will automatically go up, when the engine sound (rpm) goes up!!.. Now how cool is that?.

Indeed, it is called speed volume and can be set by long pressing the menu button. It is indeed a cool feature; but sometimes it goes out of sync. During sudden deceleration or when you press the clutch, the sound levels drop abnormally(not always though).
Old 7th September 2011, 15:20   #5182
BHPian

Quote:
Kilo Alpha, one of the main components of the upgrade is the ceramic holder, which is capable of handing the additional heat of the bulb upgrade. Unless it is proven, i would not recommend, running upgraded bulbs on stock holders.

Oh, It seems that KiloAlpha has Bypassed installing relay and Extra wiring Kit for 90/100w Bulbs and has simply replaced the Bulbs. From his earlier posts it seems that he has been using it for 9 Months. I wonder whether stock Holders are capable of sustaining 90/100W bulbs heat and what about relay ? or Figo has relay installed by default which is capable of taking load of 90/100, like Ikon relay as you have mentioned in the thread you have mentioned.

Could you please post a pic, of the wiring?. Cos, in the IKON, its a sealed kit, and no wires enter directly into the assembly.

I too will check up the HL assembly with picture you have mentioned. I think this is ford design Philosophy to keep it sealed so that no HL fogging takes place. If its arrangement like Ikon HL cluster then I have to rethink about 90/100W upgrade and study in depth about HL wire's gauge, relay capacity and temperature sustainability of Holders. Puncturing hole in HL cluster Cap may lead to water seepage and consequent damages, a NO NO to me.

dhanushs, You can even control the volume multiplying factor from menu. Click menu button till you reach Speed Volume option and then turn Dial to adjust the Multiplier. With Off selected the volume do not change with speed. The multiplier can be 1 to 7. I keep it at 4 as My SR suggested me and have not tested effects of other values. But its a very amazing feature indeed.
Old 7th September 2011, 17:07   #5183
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I myself changed the stock bulbs to Philips extreme power (60/55W). There is no stock or ceramic holder as such. The bulb fixes at the back side of the reflector dome. The three pins at the back of the bulb will be positioned as triangle points. (this can be seen from back side of the bulb). You have to place the bulb as ulta of the triangle.

The holder has a tension string supported by a spring (seen in the carrier of cycles). Need to lock the string. Thats all. Then you need to plugin the wire socket. Job done.

I have seen this same type of setup in my old (type II) maruti. The concern here is the life of the reflector, but seems they are fine with 100/90w.

Have given my Figo for two issues.
1. Noise coming when steering wheel is rotated
2. Suspension checkup

The technician took a TD and found that the steering wheel noise is due to horn spring inside and needs to be lubricated.
Suspension is fine and some alignment of U clamp needs to be done. (Need to get correct explanation from the SA at the time of delivery).
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-bulbspec.jpg  

Last edited by RGK : 7th September 2011 at 17:24. Reason: Updated the post
Old 7th September 2011, 17:36   #5184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I myself changed the stock bulbs to Philips extreme power (60/55W). There is no stock or ceramic holder as such. The bulb fixes at the back side of the reflector dome. The three pins at the back of the bulb will be positioned as triangle points. (this can be seen from back side of the bulb). You have to place the bulb as ulta of the triangle.
In that case, I guess you have noticed that, the stock holders are NOT ceramic ones. When you upgrade your bulbs to 100/90 or 130/100, you need to swap, the OE holder to ceramic ones, capable of handling the heat.

Is Figo's HL Assembly, similar to this? - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2412354
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 20:47   #5185
BHPian

I just returned from a 700 km road trip with friends. First time i sat in and drove the Figo. Must say its a amazing handler. We went Delhi-mussurie-Dhanaulti-Delhi and the Figo was awesome. All of us loved it and were pleasantly surprised by its grip, torque and handling. Its a darn good practical-diesel-hatchback!
Old 7th September 2011, 22:47   #5186
BHPian

Quote:
In that case, I guess you have noticed that, the stock holders are NOT ceramic ones. When you upgrade your bulbs to 100/90 or 130/100, you need to swap, the OE holder to ceramic ones, capable of handling the heat.

This will invite cutting of wires to stock Holder and Fix Ceramic Holders then. But what about relay ? I don't know whether Figo has Built in Relay and whether it can Sustain 90/100 current.

Is Figo's HL Assembly, similar to this? - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2412354
Today I inspected the HL cluster in Figo. Yes its like that only but only difference is The Cap is Round one and for replacing lamps its not necessary to remove HL cluster. One can put hand to reach the cap, rotate & pull to remove. Then holders can be pulled out, Bulbs can be removed and replaced. But space to reach the cap is very congested and difficult to reach if your wrists are thick and stout. For right cluster there is need to remove the Coolant tank which is Fixed with one bolt. Anyways its not as easy as M800 to replace the bulbs for sure but one can do it himself if he is determined.

The stock holders are not ceramic. Indicator, Parking Lamp and HL wires are connected to cluster by means of a Plug, as the case with IKON and there is No space available to route wires in to cluster. So I feel that cap need to be Punctured to take the 90/100 wiring inside the Cluster But chances of Moisture and water seepage in cluster are there. Let me see how KiloAlpha responds since he has mentioned that there is no need to Puncture the cap. He is using them for last 9 months that too he do 4 to 5 hrs Night Travels with them. He have not noticed any fading of Front lens and Blackening of reflectors so its a very positive feedback for 90/100.
Old 8th September 2011, 07:28   #5187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK

Where did you do the upgrade and what was the total cost?
Hi RGK - I actually ended up installing it Chennai (anna nagar) as I was there & the shop owner was a friend of a friend.

But think CBE work was very proffesional and better. The guy moved the PS fluid tank while fitting the bulbs/ relay etc and did not put it back properly. As soon as I startrd the car, it hit the belt and got punctured - abt 5k of repairs. The only consolation is that he paid for the repairs.

Recommend CBE.

Last edited by rohing : 8th September 2011 at 07:33.
Old 8th September 2011, 10:31   #5188
BHPian

Team - Urgent query

My car is in Rajshree Ford for the 10K service.

- is wheel rotation/balancing free? They want to charge 700 for it.

- Fog lamps is 3.5K. I am fighting with them on this as the new kit for 2011 models is 1.9K. What can I do to convince them?

- they want to replace thermostat housing as there is a recall on it

- oil filter will be changed but i will be charged for it. Is this OK?

Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 12:17   #5189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Team - Urgent query

- Fog lamps is 3.5K. I am fighting with them on this as the new kit for 2011 models is 1.9K. What can I do to convince them?

Thanks
Wheel balancing is not free, but 700 is too much for balancing. I was ripped off during my 3rd service too. Later got to know here
If there is a recall or a TSB from ford, I think its ok to get the thermostat housing replaced too.

Oil filter will indeed be charged. it will be around Rs.333.

Last edited by figo_united : 8th September 2011 at 12:30.
Old 8th September 2011, 13:19   #5190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Team - Urgent query

Thanks

Wheel rotation is free. Balancing is not for second free service.

Reg fog lamps, new kit is 1.9 K w/o switch. Does your figo come with Fog lamp switch pre-installed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks