Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 16:23   #5131
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
To avoid GC issues, I keep 35 and 40 psi tire pressure in the Front and Rear. But these tire pressures do not give a comfortable ride when driving alone.

Road joints, potholes (chennai roads are always bad and now become worse after sudden showers) are severely felt at normal speeds. I feel this may shorten the life of the shocks, suspension and wheel bearings. To avoid this, sometimes I drive very slowly.

I want to how other tbhp owners handle this problem.

Had a chance to drive I10. I could not get the stability feeling what I have in Figo at speeds above 90.

Checked the OTR price of Titanium Diesel in chennai today and it is 6.63L with 3 year extended warranty.
I have normally 3 or max 4 people travelling in my car so I generally keep 33 psi front & 36 psi rear, the ride is quite smooth. Till now I have not scraped any Bangalore humps , but on couple of occasions I have heard the mud flaps rubbing the humps. One trick to avoid hitting the humps is to avoid breaking very close or on the hump, as due to breaking action the GC is further lowered.

If you are surprised by Chennai OTR prices then take a look at the Bangalore OTR it is Rs 6.83 lacs for 1.4 TDCi- Titanium
Old 30th August 2011, 16:23   #5132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To avoid GC issues, I keep 35 and 40 psi tire pressure in the Front and Rear.

Hi RGK, its not a good idea to increase the tyre pressure to increase the GC. It will increase tyre wear, along with additional wear and tear to the suspension and steering components.

IMO, coil spring adjusters is a perfect way to solve the bottoming out issue of the Figo.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:58   #5133
BHPian

Quote:
To avoid GC issues, I keep 35 and 40 psi tire pressure in the Front and Rear. But these tire pressures do not give a comfortable ride when driving alone.

Road joints, potholes (chennai roads are always bad and now become worse after sudden showers) are severely felt at normal speeds. I feel this may shorten the life of the shocks, suspension and wheel bearings. To avoid this, sometimes I drive very slowly.

I try to keep speed 10/15 while crossing Speed Breakers and on bad roads. Many times I pull 1st gear to avoid clutch riding otherwise if you are in 2nd then it chugs at 20. The Trip + DTE figure hampers badly but one trip to near by town get it back on track. I usually check Trip + DTE to check FE approximately.

Quote:
Had a chance to drive I10. I could not get the stability feeling what I have in Figo at speeds above 90.

Checked the OTR price of Titanium Diesel in chennai today and it is 6.63L with 3 year extended warranty.
have you checked new swift VDI OTR ? it might come close to it, I guess.
Old 30th August 2011, 17:04   #5134
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I have normally 3 or max 4 people travelling in my car so I generally keep 33 psi front & 36 psi rear, the ride is quite smooth. Till now I have not scraped any Bangalore humps , but on couple of occasions I have heard the mud flaps rubbing the humps. One trick to avoid hitting the humps is to avoid breaking very close or on the hump, as due to breaking action the GC is further lowered.

If you are surprised by Chennai OTR prices then take a look at the Bangalore OTR it is Rs 6.83 lacs for 1.4 TDCi- Titanium
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi RGK, its not a good idea to increase the tyre pressure to increase the GC. It will increase tyre wear, along with additional wear and tear to the suspension and steering components.

IMO, coil spring adjusters is a perfect way to solve the bottoming out issue of the Figo.
Thanks tj123 & dhanushs,

How is the ride quality when driving alone with 33 & 36 psi?

I am able to manage the humps here, but my main concern is the ride quality. I need to set a correct tire pressure to have a better ride quality and longer life of suspension components.

Yes. Bangalore OTR was always on the higherside due to high state Road Tax. The OTR last year was just 6.01L for Titanium in Chennai and 5.94L in Coimbatore when the car was launched. Further Free insurance was offered during the month of Dec'10.

Need to check with SC about coil spring adjustments.

<<have you checked new swift VDI OTR ? it might come close to it, I guess.>>>
@Whitelion - New Swift VDI OTR is 6.52L and Fabia - Basic OTR is 6.58L with 8k cash discount (for corporate employees)

Last edited by RGK : 30th August 2011 at 17:07.
Old 30th August 2011, 17:48   #5135
BHPian

Quote:
<<have you checked new swift VDI OTR ? it might come close to it, I guess.>>>
@Whitelion - New Swift VDI OTR is 6.52L and Fabia - Basic OTR is 6.58L with 8k cash discount (for corporate employees)
If you add 10K to 15K for ICE in VDI OTR still you will be getting additional features like ABS, Air Bags, Rear Defogger, Rear washer/wiper and elec. adjustable Mirrors within that price. I think there is sense in Going for Figo rather than New Swift. What other's are thinking ?
Old 30th August 2011, 18:54   #5136
Senior - BHPian

Whilelion as far as Diesel is concenred you are right. No doubt Figo rules the roost in terms of a comparable engine, handling and some additional loaded features at the same price point.

But whats getting me thinking is Figo for some time was kind of available off the shelf, this was a great advantage in its favor, people who were unhappy with Swift and Polo waiting period were happy to know Figo was available for them.

But now what I heard recently is the Figo has a waiting period of 2.5 to 3 months. If someone hears that then that will put him off too.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:13   #5137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Whilelion as far as Diesel is concenred you are right. No doubt Figo rules the roost in terms of a comparable engine, handling and some additional loaded features at the same price point.

But whats getting me thinking is Figo for some time was kind of available off the shelf, this was a great advantage in its favor, people who were unhappy with Swift and Polo waiting period were happy to know Figo was available for them.

But now what I heard recently is the Figo has a waiting period of 2.5 to 3 months. If someone hears that then that will put him off too.
@xingamazon, You are right. When I was in process of Shortlisting by taking TDs Figo was available off the self. But at the time of purchase even after 50 days car was not available I have to get it from some other dealer where it was available off the shelf. I have also heard that Maruthi has increased production of Swift from 12K to 18K and Ford has decreased production of Figo to accommodate New Look Fiesta. However news is that Ford is increasing capacity by erecting plant in Gujarath. Anyways Swift too has 4 to 5 months waiting which compensates. As far as I am concerned I feel Figo is much better than Swift in many respect inspite of HL and GC problems. For later one I have not suffered single time yet in 1700+ KM ride of Figo.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:29   #5138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK

I use 36psi all around. Did this after a bit of experimentation with Psi's and finding this to be the best compramise. I think 40 would be a little high given no load in the back. I also make sure not to have any unnecessary load sitting in the boot. Other than this, there very little we can do.

However, driving alone or with 2 people, my car has rarely/if ever scrapped speedbreakers in Bangalore (i always take at a angle).
Old 31st August 2011, 08:36   #5139
BHPian

How much tyre pressure is ideal when driving alone?

On another note, has anyone driven the Figo to Ladakh yet? Did you come across a travelogue? Did they face any ground clearance issues?
Old 31st August 2011, 10:30   #5140
BHPian

Has any BHPian had installed 90/100W bulbs in Figo or know any of your friends/relatives have done it ? If yes how is performance and are there any side effects like reflector/Front glass deterioration etc. etc. over period of time. I am in process of Finding solution to HL problem Issue. Installing Hella Aux. lamp is one of the solution as fellow BHPian laxmanrk has done it and has explained it very nicely in his ownership thread. I have sortlisted it and trying to have another economical option. In autolighting thread most of the BHPians are not advising "White Light" bulbs if all weather Visibility is Concerned. I had purposefully put it here since I would like to know Figo specific Performance and Problems. Hope administrators allow this by considering above justification.
Old 31st August 2011, 10:57   #5141
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone had the recent cluster update?
Apparently they remove the glass of the dial and do something. Now I have a noise of the glass vibrating on bad roads. Noise disappears if i put a finger on the glass.
The SA refitted it but the problem persists.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:42   #5142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Has anyone had the recent cluster update?
Apparently they remove the glass of the dial and do something. Now I have a noise of the glass vibrating on bad roads. Noise disappears if i put a finger on the glass.
The SA refitted it but the problem persists.
My car used to produce the exact same noise. When I took it to the A.S.S., they took out the surrounding frame, pasted a couple of strips of foam tape (it had a part number too I guess) in between and refitted the frame. Now it's OK.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 20:47   #5143
BHPian

I am observing a slightly increased sound from the belt in the engine bay from last week.(Is it the alternator belt?)
More eminent in the lower rpms and when I come back to idling.
Since I was not able to visit a ford A.S.S, I got it checked at Sejal motors (Since its near to my workplace) and suresh told me its nothing to worry and its just the operational noise.
Today I wanted to get it checked at A.S.S once, since I will be going on a long drive over this weekend, but I was told none of the technicians are available because of eid/ganesh festival, and they asked me to come on friday!

Is it a serious problem, or can I live with it for a while without other impacts?
In case it needs to be fixed immediately(Make it tight?), can I get it done at some local mechanic?
Please advice
Old 31st August 2011, 21:28   #5144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post

Is it a serious problem, or can I live with it for a while without other impacts?
In case it needs to be fixed immediately(Make it tight?), can I get it done at some local mechanic?
Please advice
If its very minor sound where you can hear something turning when you stand near the engine i should be ok. It crops up on mine too once in a while but disappears on its own at some other time.

One thing i have learnt over years is that most mechanics at the a.s.s are no better than us. Follow your gut feeling. Visit them only if something down there tells you that its serious. Anyway they are also going to follow a trial & error method in most cases!!
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 21:52   #5145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
If its very minor sound where you can hear something turning when you stand near the engine i should be ok. It crops up on mine too once in a while but disappears on its own at some other time.

Actually, I can make out the sound from inside the cabin too.
Something like a slight "zrrrr" sound accompanying the engine sound.
But I'm sure that it comes from the belt, was able to notice it when I listen to it with the bonnet open and engine running.

Have marked the place from which the sound originates in the pic below.[pic taken from first page of this thread]

Suresh(At Sejal Motors) also tried applying some petroleum jelly on the belt to see if it reduces the noise, but didn't change much. But he confidently said its not an issue though.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_0105.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
One thing i have learnt over years is that most mechanics at the a.s.s are no better than us. Follow your gut feeling. Visit them only if something down there tells you that its serious. Anyway they are also going to follow a trial & error method in most cases!!
Completely agree to that! More often than not, it is trial and error, unless the same problem was previously reported and they somehow fixed it on some other car!
I felt I should make sure this noise is not a problem since I am not too sure about this operation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks