Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 00:05   #5056
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Some days back, we took delivery of our silver Figo ZXI diesel. My car's delivery was after Ford deleted essential features like rear wiper and electrically adjustable ORVMs. I had actually booked an EXI model but as my height is no great shakes, decided to shift to the ZXI that had height adjustable seats and a rear wiper which I feel is an indeleable feature and must be made compulsory for all hatchbacks. This I talk from experience of having to reverse my earlier car (Chevrolet Spark - a fantastic car) in the pouring rain and getting drenched craning my neck out of the window to avoid a ditch!

When I upgraded to the ZXI, the above two features were present and as delivery time neared, I received a call from Planet Ford informing me of the changes.

It was only a after a heated exchange of not so very nice words, a diesel Chevrolet Beat brochure (another good car except for the cramped interiors) that I got what was the last ZXI diesel piece with these two features (this is what the dealer quoted.)

Extras taken from the dealer include:
1) A set of "Ford" branded alloys
2) Neck rests
3) Scuff plates (a thoughtful accessory)
4) USB cable
5) "Dura Torq" badge

Extras fitted after taking delivery:
1) 185/65 Bridgestone Potenzas (a set of 5) Tyres that came with the car were the slow wearing, noisy MRFs
2) 3M sun film all around (including the clear one on the front windscreen)
3) All black pseudo leather covers
4) Side scuff plate

I am adding a few images that were taken during delivery. These are of the car without the addons.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_1108.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_1110.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_1113.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_1114.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_1118.jpg  

Old 16th August 2011, 06:24   #5057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar
Some days back, we took delivery of our silver Figo ZXI diesel. My car's delivery was after Ford deleted essential features like rear wiper and electrically adjustable ORVMs. I had actually booked an EXI model but as my height is no great shakes, decided to shift to the ZXI that had height adjustable seats and a rear wiper which I feel is an indeleable feature and must be made compulsory for all hatchbacks. This I talk from experience of having to reverse my earlier car (Chevrolet Spark - a fantastic car) in the pouring rain and getting drenched craning my neck out of the window to avoid a ditch!

When I upgraded to the ZXI, the above two features were present and as delivery time neared, I received a call from Planet Ford informing me of the changes.

It was only a after a heated exchange of not so very nice words, a diesel Chevrolet Beat brochure (another good car except for the cramped interiors) that I got what was the last ZXI diesel piece with these two features (this is what the dealer quoted.)

Extras taken from the dealer include:
2) Neck rests
4) USB cable
5) "Dura Torq" badge

1) 185/65 Bridgestone Potenzas (a set of 5) Tyres that came with the car were the slow wearing, noisy MRFs
4) Side scuff plate

I am adding a few images that were taken during delivery. These are of the car without the addons.
Hi Amar

Congrats on the car. It looks very neat with the alloys. It is a very good car and I am sure you are going to have fun with it.

- is there any other new/improved features in your car? Is the headlamp better than the old figos? Tilt steering?

- i see fogs on your car. Did you buy them? Did not see them in your freebie list.

- from when did a duratorq badge become a freebie....
Old 16th August 2011, 08:01   #5058
BHPian

Congratulations Amar for new acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
- is there any other new/improved features in your car? Is the headlamp better than the old figos? Tilt steering?

I am also Interested in Head Lamps as Boneham mentioned that "new versions of Figo rolling out after 20th Jul 2011 will have improved illumination".

I would like to know that whether reflector has changed or Only bulbs have been upgraded ?

- i see fogs on your car. Did you buy them? Did not see them in your freebie list.

I think he means he has bought some extra features from dealer and some After market.

I took delivery on 21 Jul 2011 Earlier version at earlier price. My car dont have this Duratorque Badge.
I did 2nd Tankfull yesterday during my 1 day trip Kolhapur-Pune-Kolhapur. The mileage recorded was 19.9, 1519 KM on odo, 908 on trip (500 KM NH4 rest daily commute in city), 15 + 30.57 (Tank full) since last Tankfull. Drove it at 70-80 and 90-100 for overtaking if needed. at 80-90 car felt like as if its petrol super smooth and silent spiced with super smooth suspension, The journey was a absolute pleasure. Only soar thing was pathetic Head Lamps with intermittent drizzles so return journey took about 5:30 hrs. Even on 4 laned highways one has to be very careful and slow down due to traffic coming from other side even though Fog Lamps have been there.

I need to upgrade Head Lamps for sure. So fellow BHPians please advice me Between HL kit as Ford accessory (2700/-), Phillips Blue Vision Ultra (900/- only HL pair of Bulbs), Phillips 90/100 W + roots relay (1200/-). One my friends as suggested Osram Night Breaker Plus also (900/-).

Last edited by whitelion : 16th August 2011 at 08:02.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:31   #5059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I have some other things to be rectified which is mentioned in my post(quoted above) probably this is why Labor was not charged. Even I was surprised that there was no labor charges.

no the air filter was not changed. I had even asked the same but was told that was not required.

Will check guys when I go tomorrow.

Just as I told. They are charging the labor with the next visit(which is today). I had confirmed visit on Friday itself.
So today I gave the figo for the suspension and steering rod replacements under warranty.

BTW The labor charges for the service is Rs.1040.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Congratulations Amar for new acquisition.

I did 2nd Tankfull yesterday during my 1 day trip Kolhapur-Pune-Kolhapur. The mileage recorded was 19.9, 1519 KM on odo, 908 on trip (500 KM NH4 rest daily commute in city), 15 + 30.57 (Tank full) since last Tankfull. Drove it at 70-80 and 90-100 for overtaking if needed. at 80-90 car felt like as if its petrol super smooth and silent spiced with super smooth suspension, The journey was a absolute pleasure. Only soar thing was pathetic Head Lamps with intermittent drizzles so return journey took about 5:30 hrs. Even on 4 laned highways one has to be very careful and slow down due to traffic coming from other side even though Fog Lamps have been there.

I need to upgrade Head Lamps for sure. So fellow BHPians please advice me Between HL kit as Ford accessory (2700/-), Phillips Blue Vision Ultra (900/- only HL pair of Bulbs), Phillips 90/100 W + roots relay (1200/-). One my friends as suggested Osram Night Breaker Plus also (900/-).
Congrats to Amar on his New figo

My friend had told me about OSRAM Nightbreaker "PLUS" for Punto which is effective. However a fellow tbpian skyline GTR (a figo owner) said that OSRAM nightbreakers were no good. I think nightbreaker plus is better than the nightbreakers.
Old 16th August 2011, 11:27   #5060
BHPian

The duratorq badge is NOT a freebie. It was bought separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post

Old 16th August 2011, 11:33   #5061
Senior - BHPian

As promised Ford has given me free 20K service (labor and consumables inclusive).

Everything was done as per the schedule in the manual. She has become quite a bit free revving after the service, so much so that I was trying to shift to fourth thinking that I was in third while actually I was in second. This was not the case before .

Gear changes also became very smooth, but there is no audible difference in the way Engine sounds. Mileage seems to be the same (I wonder why) but it is too early to comment. No stalling issue for more than 2.5K km.

And by the way, the squeaks have gone away COMPLETELY. I have no idea what the Ford engineer from Chennai did, but the squeaks just disappeared and I am kind of confident that they may not resurface. I tell this after traveling on bad to pathetic roads in Pune. So, thank you Ford!!!
Old 16th August 2011, 13:01   #5062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
As promised Ford has given me free 20K service (labor and consumables inclusive).

Everything was done as per the schedule in the manual. She has become quite a bit free revving after the service, so much so that I was trying to shift to fourth thinking that I was in third while actually I was in second. This was not the case before .

Gear changes also became very smooth, but there is no audible difference in the way Engine sounds. Mileage seems to be the same (I wonder why) but it is too early to comment. No stalling issue for more than 2.5K km.

I have not used any Diesel Car for daily commute till date. I was expecting engine noise but to my pleasant disappointment the engine is as silent as my 17 yr old M800. The pick up and NVH of My Diesel figo is almost as good as a petrol car. I am very happy.

And by the way, the squeaks have gone away COMPLETELY. I have no idea what the Ford engineer from Chennai did, but the squeaks just disappeared and I am kind of confident that they may not resurface. I tell this after traveling on bad to pathetic roads in Pune. So, thank you Ford!!!
on 15 Aug I did a one day trip to Pune. On rain deteriorated tar road I found rattle in dash i.e. it is like resonating the tire response to road's minute undulations. There are no squeaks as of today. On normal Tar road and concrete road there is absolutely no noise at all. Is it normal or shall I raise to ford during first service. Odo reads 1540 now.
Old 16th August 2011, 13:03   #5063
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Got my figo after the 30K service.
Costs
Fuel Filter Rs. 1039.06
Oil Filter Rs 333.38
Oil Rs 896.00
Total Rs 2269

That was cheap.

I had a small noise in the rear suspension and found a leaky strut.
Left steering pull identified as a problem in the front suspension and also discovered that there is a problem in the steering rack.

So replacing them under warranty next week.
The maintenance costs after driving 30k is really reasonable. Kudos to Ford.
Since Ford has started doing volumes, they may not increase the spare/consumable costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Some days back, we took delivery of our silver Figo ZXI diesel.

2) Neck rests
4) USB cable
5) "Dura Torq" badge

4) Side scuff plate
Congrats Amar. Nice addons and the OEM alloys look nice,very easy to clean and maintain.
Regarding the scuff plates, if possible try to paste close to the perimeter of the running board (of all 4 doors). In my car it was pasted close the door rubber and now I see the scratches on the perimeter of the running board.

Quote:

Nice to hear the news from you. Hope it is solved once for all.
Did you get the tyres aligned and rotated.

-- I get a sound when I do a full left or right turn. Need to check before proceeding to the SC. Is this due to an alignment problem?
Old 16th August 2011, 13:38   #5064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post

Nice to hear the news from you. Hope it is solved once for all.
Did you get the tyres aligned and rotated.

-- I get a sound when I do a full left or right turn. Need to check before proceeding to the SC. Is this due to an alignment problem?
Yes, the tires have been rotated and aligned. Sound during turning could be due to tires brushing against the broken mud flaps (in my case it turned out to be so, at least). But there have been others who got a few parts replaced under warranty, so just check.

Quote:
on 15 Aug I did a one day trip to Pune. On rain deteriorated tar road I found rattle in dash i.e. it is like resonating the tire response to road's minute undulations. There are no squeaks as of today. On normal Tar road and concrete road there is absolutely no noise at all. Is it normal or shall I raise to ford during first service. Odo reads 1540 now.
Some amount of rattle is unavoidable, mostly due to things we keep in dash etc. But it is no harm to have it checked, because it is difficult to tell how bad are your rattles. Can you pick where exactly the rattles are from?

Last edited by anilisanil : 16th August 2011 at 13:43.
Old 16th August 2011, 14:51   #5065
Senior - BHPian

Did a 600 + km run on my 1.4 Tdci Figo during the last long weekend, I got a mileage of around 19.7kmpl (tank-full method 75% highway -25% city with around 75% AC usage).
Since the vehicle has just done 800 + km, I was careful not to exceed 80kmph but it was very tempting to floor the pedal, but restrained myself.
Overall ride and handling is excellent , I am enjoying my Figo, till now there are no rattles or squeaks. The headlamps quality remains the same but low beam has improved a bit after the foglamps. In the manual they mentioned about the rear fog lamps but it seems to be a just a dummy switch as it is borrowed from the Fiesta.

In the middle of my trip I noticed that the coolant level was near to the min level , I topped it with a little distill water around 150ml as I was in the middle of nowhere. Guys any suggestion , will adding water to Fords coolant cause any problem ? I know normally water is added to the coolant , but just wanted to make sure.

Some other statistics
First tank full DTE showed 540km
Second tank full DTE showed 680 km (after covering 170km the DTE is now shows 600 km)

Last edited by tj123 : 16th August 2011 at 15:07.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:01   #5066
BHPian

Quote:
Some amount of rattle is unavoidable, mostly due to things we keep in dash etc. But it is no harm to have it checked, because it is difficult to tell how bad are your rattles. Can you pick where exactly the rattles are from?
Thanks AnilisAnil,

A close description is I feel Dashboard is Vibrating and making noise. A close analogy is sound made by windows in earthquake. On water bound macadam road or Base of Tar road made up of 1.5" gravels also makes the same noise. On putting hand on dash or console cover do not subsidize the sound it remains the same. I think its coming from inside dash. I need to investigate it more to tell exact location. I will try to do that this week end Sat or Sun.

BTW I am getting habituated with cars size, Diesel characteristics and gear changes. My car stalling is nearing to zero day by day. Encouragements and Tips from fellow BHPians has accelerated my learning process. In mere 8 to 10 days I am able to drive Figo at Home. Thanks a Lot for those who contributed.

Now I am planning my own Ownership report soon.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:58   #5067
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Need to have the dash with necessary limited things. If possible put inside a soft cloth and store.
The place of Air bag (passenger side) is fitted by a removable portion of dash in all models except Titanium. Sometimes vibrations are felt in that.

Whitelion - waiting for your ownership thread (a detailed one )
Old 16th August 2011, 18:09   #5068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Changing the bulb to 90/100w will involve in cutting of the original wiring to install the relay, hence will lead to warranty issue in case of any electrical problem.
Better stick to the original lamp spec if installing a Philips/Osram.
Old 16th August 2011, 18:57   #5069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Changing the bulb to 90/100w will involve in cutting of the original wiring to install the relay, hence will lead to warranty issue in case of any electrical problem.
Better stick to the original lamp spec if installing a Philips/Osram.
Well, I am aware that 90/100W will have warranty issues, So it will be a last resort if 55/60 options are not that effective. After all if there is chance of accident then better of evils is take chance on warranty than risk of accident.

I usually drive at 70-80 on tolled highways and at 40-60 on 2 lane state highways. I would like to know whether BVU or NBP are adequate enough to avoid risk of accident due to poor visibility ? If yes which one is better ?

I have fitted Fog Lamps immediately after delivery. Without any oncoming traffic Stock bulbs serve the purpose on dry roads. If road is wet even due to short drizzle the road visibility is lost considerably. Similarly Cyclist, Bullock carts, parked motor cycles etc etc. on side of road are not visible from distance. When you are quite close to them they are visible all of sudden. So for night driving one has to be very careful and speed need to be kept around 40-60 so that one can get enough reaction time. If there is a Truck/Bus/SUV approaching with High Beam then even potholes are not visible so need to slow down further and rely on fog lamp illumination to see them and react accordingly.

Hope I have made my concern clearly and expect fellow BHPians help me out in deciding the upgrade.
Old 16th August 2011, 19:01   #5070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Whitelion - waiting for your ownership thread (a detailed one )
Its raining here every now and then so unable to take pictures of Car. Without picture ownership thread is not complete. Hope by next week I could get some day without any rain. I am just completing the typing of matter till then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks