Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 19:45   #4996
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Just checked the Ex-showroom Prices (TDCi) at Rajshree Ford, Coimbatore
Exi - 5,05,203/- (I bought for 4,75,000/- approx with Audio system)
Zxi- 5,28,213/-
Titanium - 5,67,226/-

My Exi - OTR came 5,35,000/- (did my own registration) which was exactly 60k lesser than Titanium at that time. Now I feel for not choosing the top end.
So, Ford has increased 30k over the period of time and reduced features too (no audio system).

OTR price difference will be even more.
That's very bad Ford.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:11   #4997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I do the same - the only problem would be if some Mall or Hotel employee tries to steal stuff when doing their entry checks - very unlikely if you have the stuff in a carry bag.
I dont feel that either a Security person or Hotel employee will steal things while doing entry check. If at all he does it, he can be caught very easily and things can be recovered, may be with some hassle, when you detect such Instance. Its better than total loss.

So hence onward I will start practicing keeping Laptop in Boot of Figo rather than on passenger seat to get habitual.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this Issue.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:45   #4998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
I dont feel that either a Security person or Hotel employee will steal things while doing entry check. If at all he does it, he can be caught very easily and things can be recovered, may be with some hassle, when you detect such Instance. Its better than total loss.

So hence onward I will start practicing keeping Laptop in Boot of Figo rather than on passenger seat to get habitual.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this Issue.
Might be a stupid question but still I am putting it here.

What if some one were to use the AUTOCOP thing ? Will the doors still unlock if the engine is shutdown ? Will that be able to prevent the unlocking of doors?
Also is it possible to program the autocop or any other after market anti theft system to keep all doors shut unless there is manual intervention ?

I checked my Linea and in that the locks do not open. They just wait for the driver to manually open the locks.
Old 1st August 2011, 23:59   #4999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Might be a stupid question but still I am putting it here.

No Figo_MBA its not a Stupid Question. I would prefer to call it as an another alternative for discussion.

What if some one were to use the AUTOCOP thing ? Will the doors still unlock if the engine is shutdown ? Will that be able to prevent the unlocking of doors?
Also is it possible to program the autocop or any other after market anti theft system to keep all doors shut unless there is manual intervention ?

I checked my Linea and in that the locks do not open. They just wait for the driver to manually open the locks.
I still feel that escalating this issue to Some Senior person in Ford will be better. To best of my guessing implementing the desired functionality will be easier either by just changing of some wiring connections or a relatively easy software patch. Otherwise the simplest thing ford can do is stop unlocking door when ignition is turned off, since any door can be Opened from inside any time even when car is motion. Oh ! Yes some thought need to be given for condition when child lock is turned on. Some how as of today i have not given any thought to this.

My Today's observation on locking/unlocking is Doors get locked when car starts moving but does not unlock when it comes to rest with ignition still on. All doors get unlocked only when ignition is turned off. I am not able to recall exactly which car among Figo, Punto swift/ritz which I took First TDs in Sept 2010, was having feature of doors getting unlocked automatically when speed drops below certain limit.
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:16   #5000
BHPian

Quote:
I still feel that escalating this issue to Some Senior person in Ford will be better. To best of my guessing implementing the desired functionality will be easier either by just changing of some wiring connections or a relatively easy software patch. Otherwise the simplest thing ford can do is stop unlocking door when ignition is turned off, since any door can be Opened from inside any time even when car is motion. Oh ! Yes some thought need to be given for condition when child lock is turned on. Some how as of today i have not given any thought to this.

My Today's observation on locking/unlocking is Doors get locked when car starts moving but does not unlock when it comes to rest with ignition still on. All doors get unlocked only when ignition is turned off. I am not able to recall exactly which car among Figo, Punto swift/ritz which I took First TDs in Sept 2010, was having feature of doors getting unlocked automatically when speed drops below certain limit.
The locks get locked when the speed exceeds 7kmph. This is a feature I know.

But to have the doors opened when the car slows down to say 5kmph.Really ? That is a not called for action. I can tell you it is not punto or figo. I am almost sure it is not swift. I am not sure of Ritz though. But given that Swift is not like I think even Ritz does not unlock when the speed is reduced.

In fact I like the 'feature' where the doors unlock when I turn off the ignition.
Again sadly I noticed that once any of the door(other than driver side door) is opened manually it does not lock itself even if the speed is more than 7kmph. Now is this the same way for all or is it just my car that is like that ?

Another wonderful thing i noticed about the locks
If you open the boot lid and then press lock, the locks do not engage. Now when you close the bootlid manually, all the doors are locked together.
I like the fact that figo waits in anticipation for you to close the bootlid and automatically locks all doors without having to fiddle with the key again.

I do not think solving this problem that you are facing would be easy as the software program change is going to more complex. Isn't there only a single ECU for all these things including Engine Management ?. Wiring change could do the trick perhaps. I am not sure even that is going to be simple though.

Last edited by figo_mba : 2nd August 2011 at 00:20.
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:11   #5001
BHPian

My response is in bold type as below.

Quote:
The locks get locked when the speed exceeds 7kmph. This is a feature I know.

But to have the doors opened when the car slows down to say 5kmph.Really ? That is a not called for action. I can tell you it is not punto or figo. I am almost sure it is not swift. I am not sure of Ritz though. But given that Swift is not like I think even Ritz does not unlock when the speed is reduced.

Tomorrow I am going Maruthi Showroom to get my booking amount. I will check with SR dealing with me.

In fact I like the 'feature' where the doors unlock when I turn off the ignition.

Can you elaborate why ?

Again sadly I noticed that once any of the door(other than driver side door) is opened manually it does not lock itself even if the speed is more than 7kmph. Now is this the same way for all or is it just my car that is like that ?

I will check it and let you know about this tomorrow.

If you open the boot lid and then press lock, the locks do not engage. Now when you close the bootlid manually, all the doors are locked together.
I like the fact that figo waits in anticipation for you to close the bootlid and automatically locks all doors without having to fiddle with the key again.

Nice to know another really nice feature. I will check it.

I do not think solving this problem that you are facing would be easy as the software program change is going to more complex. Isn't there only a single ECU for all these things including Engine Management ?. Wiring change could do the trick perhaps. I am not sure even that is going to be simple though.

I think there is relay which gets activated when Ignition is turned off, which in turn unlocks all the doors. Routing wires from it to FOB sensing unit can bring in the desired functionality provided above assumption is valid. I will visit A$$C next sunday and try to digout more information how Ignition off is connected to unlock mechanism and also how FOB button press are handled.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:36   #5002
Senior - BHPian

^^ Whitelion, doors unlocking by themselves when you turn off the ignition is a safety feature in time of a crash.

Regarding all locks opening when you shut down the engine at signals- I would rather spend some more on diesel (and carbon foot print) than get mugged by some imbecile and hence would not turn off at a signal where I know there is an issue. Also, your lock and unlock button would still work while the key is in the slot, just in case.

Me thinks this is not a fault but it is a feature indeed, all locks should unlock when engine is turned off.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:20   #5003
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
^^ Whitelion, doors unlocking by themselves when you turn off the ignition is a safety feature in time of a crash.

Me thinks this is not a fault but it is a feature indeed, all locks should unlock when engine is turned off.
Yes. It is a feature to facilitate passengers to get out of the car.

I checked the test mode today in my car. My RPM was around 750 without A/c on. Is the RPM ideal and also can we drive the car with the test mode on ?.

@Vina,Whitelion - Eventhough your practice is good (safe one), I feel that the convenience is lost when the bags (bag packs/hand bags) are kept inside the boot rather than in the seat.

Last edited by RGK : 2nd August 2011 at 13:32.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:33   #5004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I checked the test mode today in my car. My RPM was around 750 without A/c on. Is the RPM ideal and also can we drive the car with the test mode on ?.
yes your idle RPM is ideal. And nothing happened to my car when I drove it in test mode.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:38   #5005
BHPian

Regarding door locking this is what I do.

1. Program the remote to unlock only the driver side door. You can still unlock all doors by pressing the key twice.

2. When I switch off at signals I do either of the following.
- unlock driver side door manually before switching off. Other doors will not open when you switch off.

- Immediately lock the doors if I forget to the above.

The auto door lock/unlock is a good feature. My only grouse is Ford proving a single lever to unlock and open
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:51   #5006
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
The auto door lock/unlock is a good feature. My only grouse is Ford proving a single lever to unlock and open
Exactly Venkat. The lock switch should have been made as a separate one (like swift/hyundai) and not combined with the pull lever.

This type of mechanism has downgraded the safety as the lever can be pulled and opened easily. This does not happen when the lock switch is separate.

But I have not checked whether the door opens if the lever is pulled when the car is in motion i.e above 7kmph.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:56   #5007
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding all locks opening when you shut down the engine at signals- I would rather spend some more on diesel (and carbon foot print) than get mugged by some imbecile and hence would not turn off at a signal where I know there is an issue. Also, your lock and unlock button would still work while the key is in the slot, just in case.

Yes I do agree that its safety feature. My point is There is facility to program Key based locking/unlocking one or all four. When a user is only person using car then he can program to lock/unlock only One door, when there are co-px then he can program to lock/unlock all doors. Then usually same logic also should continue to Ignition off unlocking doors.

BTW I dont treat this as Fault, I was curious whether its happening with me or its a default feature. Secondly I was trying explore features of car by reading the manual. Please note that I got car delivered just one week ago so I am trying to detail out how locking/unlocking function. In between when I detected this mismatch I posted here my thoughts to know other side of the coin. In the process I learned many things and also got solutions to probable theft. Keeping engine on is another option when valuables are kept on passenger seat. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Yes. It is a feature to facilitate passengers to get out of the car.

@Vina,Whitelion - Eventhough your practice is good (safe one), I feel that the convenience is lost when the bags (bag packs/hand bags) are kept inside the boot rather than in the seat.
Yes today when I came to office I kept my laptop, lunch box, water bag in boot. Midway My friend stopped me since he wanted to go in area where my office is located. As per my earlier practice with laptop on passenger seat and lunch box, water bag in passenger foot well I used to ask friends to open rear door and transfer all stuff to rear. But today I simply opened the door and he hopped in. This is other side of coin. For hand bag or similar carrying frequently required stuff I usually keep it in Glove Box or just below the hand break.

Quote:
Regarding door locking this is what I do.

1. Program the remote to unlock only the driver side door. You can still unlock all doors by pressing the key twice.

Yes I have tested this. Very intelligently designed feature.

2. When I switch off at signals I do either of the following.
- unlock driver side door manually before switching off. Other doors will not open when you switch off.

Ohh, I dont know this functionality. I will try that and let you know.

- Immediately lock the doors if I forget to the above.

AnilIsAnil has suggested another solution of keeping ignition on.

Yes I do agree. Yesterday my niece (8-10 yrs old) opened driver side rear door when car was parked roadside and a biker was about to hit suddenly opened door. Unlocking and door opening happens in single move is a good as well bad feature. I think new px will get confused and try to play with the lever and end up with accidentally opening the door at wrong time e.g. car is in motion.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:02   #5008
BHPian

Quote:
. Also, your lock and unlock button would still work while the key is in the slot, just in case.

No. The remote features will not work if the key is in the ignition slot
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:04   #5009
BHPian

Quote:
I tested this feature today morning. It is not like that in my car. Even when boot is open and I press lock button on key Doors get locked Immediately. Then when i shut boot door it gets locked immediately as usual. The test is conducted with only Driver Door open is programmed on key.

Please check once again the feature so I can put this functionality in my First servicing points list.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:04   #5010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I do agree that its safety feature. My point is There is facility to program Key based locking/unlocking one or all four. When a user is only person using car then he can program to lock/unlock only One door, when there are co-px then he can program to lock/unlock all doors. Then usually same logic also should continue to Ignition off unlocking doors.

What if the lone passenger traveling manages to over turn the car sideways on the driver side and loses consciousness?
Quote:
BTW I dont treat this as Fault, I was curious whether its happening with me or its a default feature. Secondly I was trying explore features of car by reading the manual. Please note that I got car delivered just one week ago so I am trying to detail out how locking/unlocking function. In between when I detected this mismatch I posted here my thoughts to know other side of the coin. In the process I learned many things and also got solutions to probable theft. Keeping engine on is another option when valuables are kept on passenger seat. Thanks for that.
Congratulations on your buy and I am sure you are enjoying your car. And no need for so much of explanation mate! I hope I did not come across rude in answering the questions.

Actually this was discussed long ago on the same thread along with other oddities like wiper stalk/light stalk placement and bonnet release lever placement. So I guess it is but natural for the new owners to observe such things

Cheers!

Quote:
No. The remote features will not work if the key is in the ignition slot

They should when the ignition is turned off, I remember testing it positive, I would test again and post the results.

Quote:
I tested this feature today morning. It is not like that in my car. Even when boot is open and I press lock button on key Doors get locked Immediately. Then when i shut boot door it gets locked immediately as usual. The test is conducted with only Driver Door open is programmed on key.

Please check once again the feature so I can put this functionality in my First servicing points list.
AFAIR, the doors do get locked but the lights flash only after you close the boot lid.

Last edited by anilisanil : 2nd August 2011 at 16:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks