Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 12:06   #4816
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Figo_mba, I have a doubt. Is it advisable to boost performance by this way ? If it is really boosting performance at such cheap and simple way, why the car manufacturers are not adopting it in first place it self. Why they are spending lots of money on R & D for higher power engines.

There must be some side effects or performance increase may be illusive. I am not expert in engines, I know only basics of Diesel and petrol engines. There is a question on top of mind is, how and from where the extra power and torque is coming from ?

Another product where I have doubt is FuelMag. Its meant for diesel engines. Its fitted on Fuel supply pipe to engine. Its a tube type magnet which is suppose to break Sludge forming Mirobs in Diesel. The manufacturer Claims that If its fitted then There will not be any sludge formation in Fuel Tank as well it keeps Fuel filter very clean. Once I contacted that person and he is taking a periodic followup with me. He is from Kerala itself. If you could locate him please discuss with him also.

Personally I feel that these type of products are like Products Sold by TV ads. We get mesmerized by claims they make and end up in buying them to only add crap at Home. I have seen many "Six Pack AB development Machines" collecting dust under Sofa at Some of my Friend's homes and their bellies competing "Lord Ganapati".

The FuelMag seems to be like the Six Pack AB non sense (or the spiritual stone non sense peddled on the same programs).

The Fuel pump thingy works very well - with a side effect that it loads the fuel pump a little extra.

This wouldn't matter if you keep the car at low rpms in general. Normally at lower rpms the rail develeps less pressure, so the tuning box will result in the pump pressure in the rail for (for example) 1500rpm when your actual rpm is 1200 (with similar pedal input etc. - this is a simple example things are a little more complex - but complexity is mainly in ECU). But if you habitually redline your engine, then ECU would already be developing peak pressures and the tuning box will make the pump+rail test its limits - overworked pump will last less.

The Racechip guys claim to do it intelligently - basically they seem to be using TPS sensor also in making a decision - if you want to accelerate the rail pressure will increase. If you want to coast it may be less than what ECU wanted in the first place. so for most people on an average the rail may not be more stressed.

In general with these boxes if your FE increases post installation then your engine is probably less stressed most of the time, and if FE decreases then your engine is more stressed most of the time. If you are redlining your engine then the engine is more stressed in any case.
Old 16th July 2011, 15:19   #4817
BHPian

Quote:
Figo_mba, I have a doubt. Is it advisable to boost performance by this way? If it is really boosting performance at such cheap and simple way, why the car manufacturers are not adopting it in first place it self. Why they are spending lots of money on R & D for higher power engines.
This is my understanding. Every engine component (particularly diesel) is made with a tolerance level. The ones that handles pressure will have higher tolerance. Since pressure is the basis of the whole diesel engine operation there is a higher level of tolerance. The race chip and pete's mods just exploit some part of the tolerance level.

Quote:
There must be some side effects or performance increase may be illusive. I am not expert in engines, I know only basics of Diesel and petrol engines. There is a question on top of mind is, how and from where the extra power and torque is coming from ?

Quote:
Another product where I have doubt is FuelMag. Its meant for diesel engines. Its fitted on Fuel supply pipe to engine. Its a tube type magnet which is suppose to break Sludge forming Mirobs in Diesel. The manufacturer Claims that If its fitted then There will not be any sludge formation in Fuel Tank as well it keeps Fuel filter very clean. Once I contacted that person and he is taking a periodic followup with me. He is from Kerala itself. If you could locate him please discuss with him also.
i think vina has answered to this one.

Lets say the fuel rail + pump can withstand a pressure of X psi, the chip tell the ECU by changing the signal from pressure regulator that pressure is only X-Y an so the ECU ask the pressure pump to increase the pressure by Y. Result in real life is that we have sustained higher pressures at all times and there fore improved performance.

Last edited by figo_mba : 16th July 2011 at 15:26.
Old 17th July 2011, 15:29   #4818
BHPian

Does anybody know if there is a Figo facelift coming soon, with any additional features? Just curious.
Old 17th July 2011, 15:36   #4819

Yes, I have also been awaiting for Figo Facelift since Mustang said about it. The Dealership guys have no clue about it as usual. Ford is tight lipped to maintain current sales. So any news guys?
Old 17th July 2011, 17:55   #4820
BHPian

Hello everyone,I must first thank you all in helping me decide on whether I should go for the Figo or not. Though I read almost all auto magazines published, it is users like you who have actully helped me a lot with your views, comments and suggestions.

My earlier car, a 2009 model Chevrolet Spark with barely 5500 kms. was a fantastic car and was running beautifully. The Spark used to consistently give me an average of 14-16 km per litre of the precious fuel but with spiralling petrol prices and increased running due to addition of a new scale model (my kid daughter), the need for an even more frugal car was felt.

The resale value quoted by the exchange people was nowhere to what I expected. I even thought of cancelling my plan to go for a diesel car. At that time I was also on the look out for 2nd hand diesel Fabia but every one whom I spoke to was against the Fabia - "too expensive to maintain" was the general remark.

One evening I accidently trooped into Asset Auto on Bhandarkar road and a brand new red Fabia left me speechless. The car was indeed well finished. Price of the base model "Classic" at almost Rs. 6.3 lakh (on road) was well exceeding by budget. At that price, a fully loaded Figo Titanium was available. So the Fabia was ruled out.

I then posted an advertisement in the "Carwale" site and immediately got a call from a prospective buyer. Next day, we finalised the deal and our Spark left us.

Some days back, I booked a Ford Figo TDCi EXi version in "Chill" shade. The booking was done at Planet Ford, Paud road, Pune showroom. In the past, I had heard / read a lot of negative comments about Talera Ford and so opted for Planet Ford who is also closer to where I stay. Although I am yet to get delivery, in a surge of excitement, I have already listed down what to do once the car is home. First major and immediate change I propose to do is,

1) Change the OE tyres (MRF. Good Year, Apollo - all three are third class, especially Apollo) to marginally wider Bridgestone Potenzas

2) Black seat covers

3) Tinting

4) Powerful headlight bulbs with a cut-out

and if finances permit ....... alloys

I would like to hear from you all about how good the dealer, Planet Ford is and what precautions do I take at the time of delivery?
Old 17th July 2011, 18:02   #4821
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Does anybody know if there is a Figo facelift coming soon, with any additional features? Just curious.
There was a post from Mustang (go back a few pages and you’ll be able to find it). He mentioned the cosmetic updates to Figo are the next from Ford. He also mentioned that it is not an engine update, but some cosmetic changes + correction of minor niggles reported.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 23:20   #4822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post

1) Change the OE tyres (MRF. Good Year, Apollo - all three are third class, especially Apollo) to marginally wider Bridgestone Potenzas

I would like to hear from you all about how good the dealer, Planet Ford is and what precautions do I take at the time of delivery?
Just carry out the PDI using TBHP checklist at their warehouse at Katraj before the car goes to registration. I have had okay experience with the dealer so far.
BTW, who told you Apollos are third class? Out of the three, Good Years are the worst. They'll fetch you less price compared to MRF or Apollos, when you decide to exchange them for a higher size tyre. The Figos come with Apollo Acelere that is considered to be a very good tyre as far as Indian companies are considered. But there were complaints with initial batch of Aceleres that were put on the Figos, but lately I haven't read a post complaining about Aceleres.

If you decide to upsize there is one Anand Trading Corp. or Anand Tyre Corp. in Dapodi that gives a very good price for stock Figo tyres. I got 2900 per tyre for stock Goodyears. As per the owner, he would have given higher price had my tyres been MRF or Apollos.

Last edited by shipnil : 17th July 2011 at 23:21.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 10:37   #4823
BHPian

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will follow the PDI check list.

The reason I say Apollos are third class is; my earlier car, Chevrolet Spark came shod with those tyres and during its 1.7 years and 5500 kms tenure, the car always pulled to the left. I tried rectifying this problem by repeatedly following up with the dealer, Pashankar but except for carrying out regular wheel alignment, balancing and wheel rotation, he too could not do much. I even got the wheel alignment done at my end but to no avail. A friend of mine who also bought a Spark also faced a similar problem. He immediately replaced his car's tyres with Bridgestone. The difference was immediately noticeable, even tyre noise reduced noticeably.

I am planning to replace my Figo's tyres with Bridgestone Potenza 185/65 size tyres. These are around 10mm wider than the stock ones (175/65)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Just carry out the PDI using TBHP checklist at their warehouse at Katraj before the car goes to registration. I have had okay experience with the dealer so far.
BTW, who told you Apollos are third class? Out of the three, Good Years are the worst. They'll fetch you less price compared to MRF or Apollos, when you decide to exchange them for a higher size tyre. The Figos come with Apollo Acelere that is considered to be a very good tyre as far as Indian companies are considered. But there were complaints with initial batch of Aceleres that were put on the Figos, but lately I haven't read a post complaining about Aceleres.

If you decide to upsize there is one Anand Trading Corp. or Anand Tyre Corp. in Dapodi that gives a very good price for stock Figo tyres. I got 2900 per tyre for stock Goodyears. As per the owner, he would have given higher price had my tyres been MRF or Apollos.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:51   #4824
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar

I am planning to replace my Figo's tyres with Bridgestone Potenza 185/65 size tyres. These are around 10mm wider than the stock ones (175/65)
Wrong upsize. It should be 185/60. Actually upsizing is not needed, stock tyre size is good enough. Also Any claims of warranty towards suspension will not be entertained by the dealer then.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 10:51   #4825
BHPian

Has there been a recent increase in Figo prices? Saw an Ad in TOI this morning which mentioned Figo starts from 3.7L ex/sr Delhi. Earlier ads mentioned 3.6L. Also on their website price for LXi petrol is still 3.6L.

So just wanted to check if there is any news about 10K price increase as it seems to be from the Ad. Unless it was a mistake.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:08   #4826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post

The reason I say Apollos are third class is; my earlier car, Chevrolet Spark came shod with those tyres and during its 1.7 years and 5500 kms tenure, the car always pulled to the left. I tried rectifying this problem by repeatedly following up with the dealer, Pashankar but except for carrying out regular wheel alignment, balancing and wheel rotation, he too could not do much. I even got the wheel alignment done at my end but to no avail. A friend of mine who also bought a Spark also faced a similar problem. He immediately replaced his car's tyres with Bridgestone. The difference was immediately noticeable, even tyre noise reduced noticeably.

Did wheel rotation make your car pull to right?

Even if tyres are bad it is perplexing why they would have a preference to one side (left in this case).

By the way, my Figo has Apollo (AFAIK all Titanium versions come with Apollo as standard) and the car goes straight if I take my hands off the steering. And Apollo Acelere (the ones that come standard on Figo) have been praised by many people here (though most criticise Apollo in general)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-how-they.html

Last edited by vina : 18th July 2011 at 11:09.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:13   #4827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Wrong upsize. It should be 185/60. Actually upsizing is not needed, stock tyre size is good enough. Also Any claims of warranty towards suspension will not be entertained by the dealer then.
Hi!

Could you please share as to which tire would suit the Figo best? I too feel 175's are wide enough though stickier rubber is what is required.

What choices we have besides XM1?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ford-figo.html

Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 11:36   #4828
BHPian

No. the car did not pull to the right after rotation.

My friend's VW Vento has Apollo as OE and he too faces a similar problem, although the magnitude is less. Tyre noise is also prominent in his Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

Even if tyres are bad it is perplexing why they would have a preference to one side (left in this case).

By the way, my Figo has Apollo (AFAIK all Titanium versions come with Apollo as standard) and the car goes straight if I take my hands off the steering. And Apollo Acelere (the ones that come standard on Figo) have been praised by many people here (though most criticise Apollo in general)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-how-they.html
Old 18th July 2011, 11:37   #4829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

By the way, my Figo has Apollo (AFAIK all Titanium versions come with Apollo as standard)
This is not true. My Titanium TDCi came with GT3.
Old 18th July 2011, 13:19   #4830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
This is not true. My Titanium TDCi came with GT3.
How are good are your GT3 tyres ? Hope thay have improved , there is a thread on this for your reference
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...t3-review.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks