Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 01:55   #4771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc

Only twice ? Aren't you being too charitable to the manufacturer here ? I was going through this thread and another which is specifically dedicated to the problem - its plain shocking and dangerous . One can live with rattles and niggles but i shudder to think what happens if the engine dies down suddenly on the expressway .
Charitable? There is no need to be. I have paid from my pocket for a figo and found it worth.

I get my figo checked even if there is a small rattle. I gave it twice for correcting rattles and suspension squeals. twice for engine shut down issue. Never had it since. So what is the problem in telling that. Just my opinion.

I have had more peace of mind with the figo than the linea. People have different experiences with same set of cars.

I am also trying to reproduce the engine shutdown event. If there is an issue that should come out and should get solved. but all who are trying to re produce will agree that it is tough to reproduce
Old 10th July 2011, 10:00   #4772
Team-BHP Support

Re: phot'u' time :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I loved your alloys. They suit the car perfectly.
Thanks

Quote:
If you drive a lot above 80kmph, I would advise you to get rid of the stock MRFs and upgrade to better tyres of 185/60R14 size. I have done it to my Figo, and its highway manners are much improved. Much less "skittishness" at higher speeds.
Of the good brands, only Yoko's are available. I haven't changed as trade in would fetch me a pittance.

I drive spiritedly sometimes and agree tire noise is an issue. It isn't much skittish because I did sample DRIVOBLOG's 195 section tires.

@Mustang101 - Remember the FE thing I talked about and you asked me to check the Car's engine oil level? I did check it and for reference went to a known MASS for further query. The oil level is up by a mm or two. They have said its normal and it won't hurt, but my FE which always hovered at 16kmpl now is stuck at 13kmpl for the past 6-7 refills.

Luckily, I haven't faced any issue as yet. Engine stalling? Once. When I was doing some autobahn speeds and had to brake and slot into reverse, the Car died. (I think it wasn't my fault)
Old 10th July 2011, 10:15   #4773
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel

@Mustang101 - Remember the FE thing I talked about and you asked me to check the Car's engine oil level? I did check it and for reference went to a known MASS for further query. The oil level is up by a mm or two. They have said its normal and it won't hurt, but my FE which always hovered at 16kmpl now is stuck at 13kmpl for the past 6-7 refills.

Luckily, I haven't faced any issue as yet. Engine stalling? Once. When I was doing some autobahn speeds and had to brake and slot into reverse, the Car died. (I think it wasn't my fault)
Yes a mm or two will not affect FE. Btw has your AC use increased with the summer? But still 3kms/l is a lot of difference. Are you keeping the appropriate tire pressure? My fusion mileage had dropped by 3kmpl when the tire pressure was around 26 in all four people where as it should have been 34 in F and 32 in R.

When you braked really hard, did you slam the clutch pedal also? Coz if you did not do that in time (earlier for diesels than petrol cars) then the car will stall. Assuming that you were in 5th and you braked all the way from 100 kmph to 20 kmph then the car would have stalled if you did not slam the clutch pedal in time.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 12:05   #4774
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Yes a mm or two will not affect FE. Btw has your AC use increased with the summer?
My Car's fan blower speed is always at position one (with me & a co-passenger) and its the temperature knob which I keep on rotating. In winters it stands at 12'o clock position or the red-zone and now it keeps on shifting between 9'o clock to the lowest position.

Simply put, I have never driven with windows down, be it winters, summers, good weather or bad

Quote:
But still 3kms/l is a lot of difference. Are you keeping the appropriate tire pressure? My fusion mileage had dropped by 3kmpl when the tire pressure was around 26 in all four people where as it should have been 34 in F and 32 in R.
I have a foot-pump gauge and hence check pressure in cold, but shall check elsewhere too.

Quote:
When you braked really hard, did you slam the clutch pedal also? Coz if you did not do that in time (earlier for diesels than petrol cars) then the car will stall. Assuming that you were in 5th and you braked all the way from 100 kmph to 20 kmph then the car would have stalled if you did not slam the clutch pedal in time.
No. I don't use clutch while braking. Only if I have to change gears. My Car was over 4,000 revs in 5th. The Car stalled while I was trying to put it in reverse.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:45   #4775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

No. I don't use clutch while braking. Only if I have to change gears. My Car was over 4,000 revs in 5th. The Car stalled while I was trying to put it in reverse.

Earlier I had asked about not being able to slot the reverse, and people had told me there is a safety feature that doesn't let you do that unless the car has been stationary for at least 3 seconds.

How does it work if you try to engage reverse while the car was moving?
Old 10th July 2011, 12:58   #4776
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Earlier I had asked about not being able to slot the reverse, and people had told me there is a safety feature that doesn't let you do that unless the car has been stationary for at least 3 seconds.

How does it work if you try to engage reverse while the car was moving?
Vina,

First thing, one should never try engage reverse when the Car is in forward motion and vice-versa.

My Car wasn't moving then, it had come to a dead stop.

Ford has specifically mentioned in their manuals as to stick to 3 secs gap prior to slotting reverse and I can say it works. As if I try to slot earlier, the shifting isn't very smooth (no noise, but you feel it)

Though some times, I have to double-clutch prior to engaging reverse (when I am in a hurry)

I have never tried slotting reverse while the Car is in motion (yes even dead-slow in neutral) I wait for the Car to stop and then engage reverse, all Cars.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:22   #4777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vina,

First thing, one should never try engage reverse when the Car is in forward motion and vice-versa.

My Car wasn't moving then, it had come to a dead stop.
That's what I also thought, but you had written:

Quote:

Engine stalling? Once. When I was doing some autobahn speeds and had to brake and slot into reverse, the Car died. (I think it wasn't my fault)
that confused me.

Do you mean the car died when you were slowing down from autobahn speed to standstill? In that case "slot into reverse" has nothing to do with car stalling. Or do you mean you came to a standstill (in neutral), waited a few seconds and then when you engaged reverse the car stalled? In that case autobahn speed to stanstill has nothing to do with car stalling.

Your subsequent post says "the car stalled when I was trying to put it into reverse" - given the earlier context I was thinking how could you do that when my Figo wouldn't engage reverse in normal circumstances.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:26   #4778
Team-BHP Support

When the Car came to a stop, dead stop, I tried putting the Car into reverse and during the clutch release process, it stalled.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:29   #4779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the Car came to a stop, dead stop, I tried putting the Car into reverse and during the clutch release process, it stalled.

Got it earlier.

Were you on an decline or on a rough road by any chance? If you had to brake in a hurry you might have been upset and may have released the clutch too fast I guess - I have stalled doing that (In fact I stalled twice doing that, got frustrated, then released the clutch slowly, one tire went into a shallow hole, so I pressed the pedal and hear a BANG - car hit a pole behind me )
Old 10th July 2011, 13:33   #4780
Team-BHP Support

I was on the East West Corridor Highway doing some good speeds, no declines, inclines or rough roads.

I released clutch as I always normally release.
Old 11th July 2011, 14:14   #4781
Senior - BHPian

Figoians,

I will be accopmanying one of my society building colleagues for the delivery of his Figo (ZXi - Diesel) today evening. Although I have the PDi list with me, is there anything specific for Figo I should be checking/enquiring at the delivery. Since its in the evening and might rain, any precautions I should be taking. Since my colleague does drive, I guess I will have to drive the new car to our building.
Old 11th July 2011, 14:38   #4782
BHPian

Is the Figo's ABS is activated lately ? I had to sudden brake few times, on my friend's Figo-Diesel, and I felt the wheel got locked initially and then the ABS got activated.
Old 11th July 2011, 16:21   #4783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Figoians,

I will be accopmanying one of my society building colleagues for the delivery of his Figo (ZXi - Diesel) today evening. Although I have the PDi list with me, is there anything specific for Figo I should be checking/enquiring at the delivery. Since its in the evening and might rain, any precautions I should be taking. Since my colleague does drive, I guess I will have to drive the new car to our building.
Most of the niggles in the Figo pops up after the car has clocked some Kms on the odo. So there are no issues that you need to specifically check for. May be you can ask them to carry out the TSB correction for the "Rear windows rolling down by itself" issue (an additional clip solution has been discussed few pages back too). That would save your friend a visit to the A.S.S. after he starts using his car. Rest should be the standard PDI. All the best
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 08:38   #4784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I had given my feedback to the company and I think some work has been done as none of the new figos have got this problem.
Now thats not very reassuring for the fools who jumped in to get the first few batches of the car. We are called ignorant drivers since we experience the problem and all those with the new ones are good drivers since they dont experience the problem. Thats really bad mustang. I guess you should pressurize ford to pass the debug to the ignorant drivers too.

I hope you are aware of the water entering engine incidents that the fiesta went through soon after launch. That is the reason why todays 1.4 TDCi engines have their air intakes wound up like a snake. This engine stalling thingy on the Figo is much more dangerous as it could happen at any time taking the driver by surprise. And if that surprise comes at a not so good time it turns out to be life threatening / taking. The fact that it cant be replicated easily should not be taken as an advantage / reason to not sort it out at the earliest.

Passing the debug to new cars and leaving those who have already bitten the bait to their fate is a very bad move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Thought I should post the pic before I said I have covered 27K kms and I have faced the engine shutoff issue only twice.
"Only" Twice!!
Old 12th July 2011, 08:53   #4785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
This engine stalling thingy on the Figo is much more dangerous as it could happen at any time taking the driver by surprise. And if that surprise comes at a not so good time it turns out to be life threatening / taking. The fact that it cant be replicated easily should not be taken as an advantage / reason to not sort it out at the earliest.

Passing the debug to new cars and leaving those who have already bitten the bait to their fate is a very bad move.

"Only" Twice!!
I agree. Engine stalling is dangerous. If there is a fix it should come to all, no doubt.

When the waterlocking issue was discovered, our fiesta was given the new air intake free of cost.
We noticed that the mileage dropped after that(I think power also)

The stalling in figo occurs on when there is a combination of braking, coupled with clutch pedal press and relatively higher speeds. I got the cam sensor checked and idling air sensor too and after that the issue has not re-occurred (had the same issue with the Fiesta also).

That's reassuring for me now (until the problem re appears)

I guess I am less demanding here probably because my engine stall did not happen under dangerous situations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks