Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 23:20   #4741
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
@vina Even on the open road, i don't think there would be a marked difference in pickup between the tdci and mjd until you go past 120. Also if you see the swift has much better pickup than ritz. Something to do with the tuning.

The percieved power delivery though will be different with the swift having a sudden turbo surge from 80 (turbo lag before that) which gaves a vrooom effect.

For overtaking at 80, I guess the tdci and mjd would be comparable. I don't think tsk's post was about power on the open road at all. It was about highway driveability and ease of overtaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
So Ritz has better driveability on highways is it? And ease of overtaking?

No, I am not trying to be a fan boy here. But my understanding is that a low slung car is always better than a tall boy in driveability, and don't think it is any easier to overtake in Ritz. BUT, I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything here. I am just curious, you know?
I think, by reading Tanweer's post between the lines, That First off all, he has A.S.S. phobia, second His height and size needs Better space in front. On both criteria Figo wont suit well. Ford, even though they have tried their level best, unfortunately dont have image of cheap to maintain cars. This might be due to their spares need to be procured from A.S.S.C. which attracts lot of value addition as Compared to maruthi where those are available in Open market and private shops can give better discounts. Similarly there are many private roadside Mechanic who can repair and service Maruthi Cars at much cheaper Labor Costs compared to Maruthi's own A.S.S.C. This gives a Maruthi owner feeling of freedom and owning cheap to Maintenance cars. In case of Ford thats not the case. One has to buy spares and fit them at A.S.S.C. only that gives owner a feeling of owning high maintenance cost Car.

Tanweer is not after Steering Feedback, good ride quality etc. etc. which are Figo's USps, Since he has alternate arrangements for that. I feel he will settle down on Ritz. Inspite of this It does not mean that Figo is Wrong Decision. Its fact that In First TD figo do not impress much but on subsequent TD, its just irresistible. I have personal experience, After First TD I rejected it and booked Swift but after Second and Third TD, even though I have swift allotment letter in my hands, I opted for Figo and still waiting for it. Hope Tanweer takes second and Third TD of Both cars and Converts to Figo. Otherwise let us wish him best wishes and let him enjoy His new car to fullest extent. After all if he "Feels Good" then its its a proper decision.
Old 8th July 2011, 23:35   #4742
Senior - BHPian

First (free?) service

Guys

my first service is due end of this month (3 months went fast) - but the car has done only 1400km and will probably have done another 200 odd km max by the time of the service (as against 2500km recommended by Ford)

What should I do (short of taking a long drive - wifey has prohibited that for now)?
Old 8th July 2011, 23:46   #4743
Senior - BHPian

Re: First (free?) service

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Guys

my first service is due end of this month (3 months went fast) - but the car has done only 1400km and will probably have done another 200 odd km max by the time of the service (as against 2500km recommended by Ford)

What should I do (short of taking a long drive - wifey has prohibited that for now)?
If its been 3 months then give it for the first service. Once you get the car back then go on your long drive. (its 2500KM or 3 months whichever is earlier according to ford)
Old 8th July 2011, 23:58   #4744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Guys

Get the servicing done. Also get your oil changed even if the service schedule does not warrant so. I've read somewhere that the initial few thousand kilometers would have a lot of rubble from all that honing the pistons may be doing against the cylinders and from other moving parts.
Old 9th July 2011, 00:57   #4745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Get the servicing done. Also get your oil changed even if the service schedule does not warrant so. I've read somewhere that the initial few thousand kilometers would have a lot of rubble from all that honing the pistons may be doing against the cylinders and from other moving parts.

What if I go a couple of weeks late? will they honour the free service or will they charge me?
Old 9th July 2011, 01:10   #4746
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina

What if I go a couple of weeks late? will they honour the free service or will they charge me?
Don't do that. You might lose the car warranty then. Plus you also lose the free service.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 01:30   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Don't do that. You might lose the car warranty then. Plus you also lose the free service.

Well, the thing is I'm probably going to be out of town in the same week - so either I get it done before (i.e. at 2.5months and roughly 1500km) or at 3months 1week (still no more than 1600km)

Does even one week of delay cause warranty to go void?

EDIT: one other question - is there any significant advantage if I take the car for a long drive (just for the heck of it) over the weekend - to add may be a few 100km to the odo before the service?

Last edited by vina : 9th July 2011 at 01:32.
Old 9th July 2011, 01:38   #4748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I'm out of town and I miss the service by 2 weeks I lose my entire car warranty!!!

That's just crazy. I'd like to see that in writing by Ford.

I've given my Maruti, my Lancer and my Altis beyond it's service due cause I never completed the kms but never have I been told this. I lost one free service on my Alto though cause I missed it by 2 months.
Old 9th July 2011, 06:18   #4749
BHPian

Get the servicing done. I also have figo. It has happened with me once with my Grande. I was late by 1 day for first servicing. I took my car next day and they refused saying that I was late. But the workshop manager was a good friend of ours. So it was done.

My opinion is that you get the servicing done. If they create some sort of problem then it will leave a bitter feeling in your heart.

Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 10:00   #4750
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina

Well, the thing is I'm probably going to be out of town in the same week - so either I get it done before (i.e. at 2.5months and roughly 1500km) or at 3months 1week (still no more than 1600km)

Does even one week of delay cause warranty to go void?

EDIT: one other question - is there any significant advantage if I take the car for a long drive (just for the heck of it) over the weekend - to add may be a few 100km to the odo before the service?
Also for vids:

1-2 days does not cause a lot of problems if you inform the staff in advance. But a week or couple of weeks is a v.long time.

The thing is the rule says if you're heading out of town then you should get it done before that even though the time has not come and the kms are less than what is required.

My fusion tdci had the 1st service scheduled after 30 days and since I was heading out of town, I got the service done up 10 days after purchasing the car.

So you can get the car serviced as early as you want but not after the scheduled dates/kms whichever is earlier.

Vids, ford is v.strict with the dates as all the dates logged in at the service centers are inspected centrally at chennai so one mishap will actually tell the company that there was a late service. Also everything is computerized on a ford specific software and hence no jhol like backdate etc. can take place. I do not know how other manufacturers do this stuff.

Plus in testing I can tell you the results, a car that is serviced exactly as per schedule and a car which did not follow the schedule have tremendous differences after aging. We have a fiesta tdci in chennai that has done 400,000 kms plus and has got no engine jobs etc. done up. Just regular service and replacement of worn out parts like a suspension change which occured thrice.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 9th July 2011 at 10:09.
Old 9th July 2011, 10:57   #4751
Senior - BHPian

@acceleration from 70, I generally shift to 5th at ~50kph. thereafter upto 120-140 I don't change gears. I drive sedately and never feel a loss of power.
@A.S.S., ford spares are not particularly expensive, The labour charges are mind boggling. Sometimes the labour is more expensive than the part replaced. Also in PM, the service charges are exclusive of labour and parts. Not sure what it's for.
A good alternative would be to buy the parts at a ford dealer and fit them locally.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:05   #4752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vids, ford is v.strict with the dates as all the dates logged in at the service centers are inspected centrally at chennai so one mishap will actually tell the company that there was a late service. Also everything is computerized on a ford specific software and hence no jhol like backdate etc. can take place. I do not know how other manufacturers do this stuff.

Plus in testing I can tell you the results, a car that is serviced exactly as per schedule and a car which did not follow the schedule have tremendous differences after aging. We have a fiesta tdci in chennai that has done 400,000 kms plus and has got no engine jobs etc. done up. Just regular service and replacement of worn out parts like a suspension change which occured thrice.
I also have a toyota which is I think way more process oriented than Ford.

Anyways I find it a bit weird that Ford don't trust their car if the owner misses a service by a few weeks. By voiding the warranty they are not confident of their product.

Also another interesting point which I saw was that Ford does only cold testing of engines at the plant and selects a few samples for hot testing.

Toyota does hot testing for all cars that leave the plant. Just saw that in the Etios Liva thread.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:08   #4753
BHPian

I recently took my Figo to the hills and was a little dissappointed with the performance. On the highways, the car is a breeze, but as one hits the gradient, it looses steam. At more than two occasions, I was let down. The car just couldnt climb. Had to work the clutch with excesssive revving for the car to take me up the hill. The same gradients i have done previously umpteen times in my baleno, petrol ikon and even zen estilo. The diesel figo with more torque was a faliure. At one place, i had to park my car and take a local taxi (which was a m800) to take us up.

I guess the difference is of the power delivery in a diesel and petrol. Since this is my first diesel car, probably i was not used to such surprises.

Came back and decided, never to take figo to the hills. Baleno does the job better.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:27   #4754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
I recently took my Figo to the hills and was a little dissappointed with the performance. On the highways, the car is a breeze, but as one hits the gradient, it looses steam. ....
It also depends on how you drive it. You simply must keep the car "on the boil" so to speak (engine revving between 3000-3500rpm) to get optimum performance.

Please see this post in the same thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1840857
for more details.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:27   #4755
Team-BHP Support

Re: phot'u' time :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Cool alloys Sheel; Looks very upmarket and belongs to many segments higher; Are they OEM ? Which are those ? Have to upsized your tires ? Nice pics and background. Sure did break the monotony of the thread;
Thanks

They are Neo's wheels. Discontinued around a year back and one shop had it because no body bought this as it wasn't flashy enough.

My tires are stock, MRF.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks