Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 14:02   #4636
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Guys help.

I had posted this query:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2402996

but there are no suggestions yet.

Kindly let me know if i should take it to the SC for the steering wheel feeling light at speeds till 40 Kmph.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:46   #4637
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post

As you have rightly put about warranty issue, I am having dilemma between 55/60 and 90/100. If you have studied both upgrades then your opinion on this will help me in resolving the HL upgrade issue. Please do comment on this.

When HL problem was being discussed a owner who has studied the problem in detail told me that its reflector design which scatters light evenly on large area rather then forming beam to which we are used to. That's why we feel the visibility problem. My Figo is yet to be delivered so can not comment on his views. Fellow Figo owners, please do comment on this.
Ford has told that any upgrade not authorised by them are termed as out of warranty. Hence I did not go for it. Just went for Philips extreme H4-60/55W which is better than the OEM Osram lamps. But many who drive more during night have opted for 100/90W upgrade. i.e they have taken some amount of risk.
Yes exactly the reflector quality and design plays a vital part in the quality of light and focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
I am myself driving a 2006 Scorpio with 100/90 bulbs with no issues for last 3 years. One of the bulbs required replacement after about 2 years when its low bean went kaput. My only concern with Figo HL upgrade is the warranty. I fail to see why a relay setup should cause warranty issues as the load is taken up by the separate wire running from the battery.
Any one have any idea how good the Figo fog lights are in illuminating the night time under normal conditions? what wattage of bulbs are used (assuming they are H3).
I too have the same opinion. Just a different gauge of wires,relay and new bulb does the job and how come it affects the warranty I do not understand.
I feel, Ford may come back and say, " Alternators, batteries in the car are designed only for these type of load conditions and not for any extra power. This has caused more loss of power in the battery and more work load on alternator etc,". This is my presumption.
One of the Figo customer has raised this in Facebook in detail and asked so many technical questions like what power, light intensity, lumens etc... to Ford and as usual ford has given generic replies.
But as a whole since uniformity of bulb spec is not strictly followed, poor road conditions - driving in 60/55w power bulb involves risk especially during rainy nights.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:59   #4638
BHPian

I think Ford has introduced roof rails for Figo.

Has anyone got them on your Figo?
Old 24th June 2011, 15:49   #4639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK_BLR View Post
I think Ford has introduced roof rails for Figo.

Has anyone got them on your Figo?
WOW that's neat. It will look good i suppose, where did you get this news from? Let me check with lathangi right now...

Yes i checked, it has been introduced a month back and costs 5k and is silver in color. Let me go there and check it out.

Last edited by sumathindra : 24th June 2011 at 15:52. Reason: more info
Old 24th June 2011, 16:37   #4640
BHPian

I got this info from Ford India campaign email.

I am attaching the pic that was embedded in that email (roof rails are not very clearly visible though).

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-roof-rails.jpg

Also, below is the text from the email.

<<

Ford has now launched the most wanted accessory for the Figo-roof rails. The elegant Figo-roof rails give your car a better appearance. Ford had taken care to ensure that this functionality integrates well with the overall design of the vehicle.

Some of the features of the roof rails are:

- Designed to accommodate without disturbing the roof spoiler.
- Anodized aluminium rails for enhanced life and drag.
- Styling elements for an enhanced kinetic design.

>>

Last edited by SMK_BLR : 24th June 2011 at 16:39. Reason: Adding more info about Figo roof rails
Old 24th June 2011, 17:57   #4641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Ford has told that any upgrade not authorised by them are termed as out of warranty. Hence I did not go for it. Just went for Philips extreme H4-60/55W which is better than the OEM Osram lamps. But many who drive more during night have opted for 100/90W upgrade. i.e they have taken some amount of risk.
Yes exactly the reflector quality and design plays a vital part in the quality of light and focus
Have you installed the bulbs available in Accessories or After Market. If After Market bulbs are installed still ford can void warranty. The accessory bulbs cost almost 2.5 times after market one. But I think Ford is giving main bulbs, parking bulbs and fog bulbs in it, I have to check with dealer.

Have you test driven 60/55 and 100/90 ? If yes then how do you feel the difference. I asked local vendor here, whether it is possible to give trial of 60/55 bulbs. His reply was once pack is opened other customers doubt originality of piece so its not possible and I have to buy them. After buying if I find them inadequate then it is waste of money. I have to finalize between 60/55 and 100/90 within couple of weeks.

Head Lamp problem is frying my brain. There is no clearcut way out. One mind says "Hell with warranty, life is priceless" other says "take care of Pocket, If something big goes wrong ford can wash their hands, by pointing to 100/90 upgrade".

Now all hopes are on fellow BHPians, who will share their experience and views. Ultimately I have to decide by considering their experience and views.

Quote:
I too have the same opinion. Just a different gauge of wires,relay and new bulb does the job and how come it affects the warranty I do not understand.

Can't help, We are King before Car is Invoiced to us afterwards we are at Mercy of Dealer/Manufacturer. We have to only nod for every statement they make.

I feel, Ford may come back and say, " Alternators, batteries in the car are designed only for these type of load conditions and not for any extra power. This has caused more loss of power in the battery and more work load on alternator etc,". This is my presumption.

True, I am afraid of same thing.

One of the Figo customer has raised this in Facebook in detail and asked so many technical questions like what power, light intensity, lumens etc... to Ford and as usual ford has given generic replies.
But as a whole since uniformity of bulb spec is not strictly followed, poor road conditions - driving in 60/55w power bulb involves risk especially during rainy nights.
Even with upgraded bulbs do you face visibility problem ?
I too have read that thread. I have talked to one of the leaders (Suyog) who is fighting the issue. They are expecting free replacement of Phillips XP bulbs from Ford. Now the thread is quiet for couple of weeks. I dont know what actions Ford have taken on that issue. I will call Suyog and try to get Information.

In fact Suyog once wrote "Do not Buy Figo" on facebook page, but when I talked to him surprisingly he recommended Figo and told me that except for above mentioned three problems car is Gem and what ever he has written was out of sporadic frustration. He was charged extra and proper receipts for full amount he paid, were not given to him. He told Ford that he is going to consumer court for that issue and was negotiating matter with Ford but it took a quite a some time. Finally Ford made dealer to repay the excess amount and he is happy now.
Old 25th June 2011, 14:48   #4642
BHPian

Is there a problem with the closing of the boot in the Ford Figo?

I find that I have to slam it really hard to close it. And during the security check 0daily at office, the guards bang it twice or thrice to close the boot properly.
Old 25th June 2011, 18:02   #4643
BHPian

I have faced the same issue with the boot lid. Its heavier compared to other hatch backs and lock does not slot easily. In comparison my lineas boot lid is easier to shut. I checked many figos and they all shut similarly and takes a bit effort. I have started to live with it.
Old 25th June 2011, 20:06   #4644
BHPian

[quote=whitelion;2404766]Have you installed the bulbs available in Accessories or After Market. If After Market bulbs are installed still ford can void warranty. The accessory bulbs cost almost 2.5 times after market one. But I think Ford is giving main bulbs, parking bulbs and fog bulbs in it, I have to check with dealer.
]

I got Philits extreme, (same wattage) fitted from Dealer. It did not cost 2.5 times. I remember posting in this thread before it cost 1100/- all inclusive.
Old 25th June 2011, 20:38   #4645
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Have you installed the bulbs available in Accessories or After Market. If After Market bulbs are installed still ford can void warranty. The accessory bulbs cost almost 2.5 times after market one. But I think Ford is giving main bulbs, parking bulbs and fog bulbs in it, I have to check with dealer.

Have you test driven 60/55 and 100/90 ? If yes then how do you feel the difference. . I have to finalize between 60/55 and 100/90 within couple of weeks.
Head Lamp problem is frying my brain. There is no clearcut way out. One mind says "Hell with warranty, life is priceless" other says "take care of Pocket, If something big goes wrong ford can wash their hands, by pointing to 100/90 upgrade".

I too have read that thread. I have talked to one of the leaders (Suyog) who is fighting the issue.
The philips extreme power came around 1100/- as said by ownerofazkaban
Definitely the power of 100/90 is far better than 60/55w.
I think there wont be any warranty issues if you stick to the same wattage. Just the brand and quality is changing.
My advice is just go for 60/50W and if you feel the light is less powered and if your night driving is more, then better upgrade.
you may be spend 1000 extra if you opt this.
Sorry it was deepak I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Is there a problem with the closing of the boot in the Ford Figo?

I find that I have to slam it really hard to close it. And during the security check 0daily at office, the guards bang it twice or thrice to close the boot properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I have faced the same issue with the boot lid. Its heavier compared to other hatch backs and lock does not slot easily. In comparison my lineas boot lid is easier to shut. I checked many figos and they all shut similarly and takes a bit effort. I have started to live with it.
I too have the same problem. The problem is with the lock. It was working well when the car was very new. When I escalated to the SC, they convinced me,"no problem sir".
Old 25th June 2011, 21:33   #4646
BHPian

Quote:
I too have the same problem. The problem is with the lock. It was working well when the car was very new. When I escalated to the SC, they convinced me,"no problem sir".
I always felt that the problem with the hydraulic jack. They feel strong (feels like they have been built for damping the undulations on the road).
The resistance (damping) is high.

Try the tail gate of the punto and you will know the difference.

Let me try oiling the piston and will update on the change(if any)

Last edited by figo_mba : 25th June 2011 at 21:51. Reason: trying a DIY
Old 26th June 2011, 00:38   #4647
Senior - BHPian

All the guys facing an issue with the boot lock, the issue is with the alignment of the door. For some reason ( for me it was a rear ending) the door will get misaligned jamming the locking mechanism from working properly. you can indeed check the gaps across the hatch door for confirmation. It is a body shop work and should be done in a half day and could also be done at a local garage, if you are short of time and dont mind spending some buck for it!
Old 26th June 2011, 00:59   #4648
BHPian

Quote:
The philips extreme power came around 1100/- as said by ownerofazkaban
Definitely the power of 100/90 is far better than 60/55w.
I think there wont be any warranty issues if you stick to the same wattage. Just the brand and quality is changing.
My advice is just go for 60/50W and if you feel the light is less powered and if your night driving is more, then better upgrade.
you may be spend 1000 extra if you opt this.
Sorry it was deepak I think.
Thanks RGK for a very nice suggestion. Going initially for 60/55 and then if its felt inadequate then go for Higher Power is a best via media.

With this an idea struck me, Instead of Upgrading Head Lamps from 60/55, additional 100/90 Hella Auxiliary Head Lamps can be Installed with separate switch on dashboard. How do you feel this Idea ?

Right now I have discussed with dealer about fitting Fog lamps at the time of delivery. Cost is 3.5K, I can drop these and use that money to get Hella 100/90 Auxiliary lamps. I feel 60/55 as head lamps + 100/90 Aux will give more than enough road visibility in all weather conditions. In city commute I can only switch on HL and on Highways I can use both of them. Many private sumo taxis are having this arrangement and those lights illuminate road very well. But a place to put those lamps need to be find out otherwise a front guard need to be Fitted. In any case its going to spoil looks of car.

For pictures of Figo with Aux lights Please refer this and this.

Last edited by whitelion : 26th June 2011 at 01:12. Reason: Added Aux Lights Photo
Old 28th June 2011, 10:58   #4649
BHPian

Normally, a firm hand on the boot door, while you close it, should help to lock it in one go. That also prevents damaging the hinges and the lock with avoiding the bang. Thats the preferred way to do it for all automobile doors. I hate it when people slam down the bonnet or hatch or door from a meter away and expect it to close. And worst still, when the lock does not engage at this attempt, the force is doubled. Even a simple push on a semi-locked door locks it well. Please don't SLAM it, specially on my car
Old 28th June 2011, 11:20   #4650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Normally, a firm hand on the boot door, while you close it, should help to lock it in one go. That also prevents damaging the hinges and the lock with avoiding the bang. Thats the preferred way to do it for all automobile doors. I hate it when people slam down the bonnet or hatch or door from a meter away and expect it to close. And worst still, when the lock does not engage at this attempt, the force is doubled. Even a simple push on a semi-locked door locks it well. Please don't SLAM it, specially on my car
Guys, I am advicing you once again, get your rear door aligned. I used to have this problem and got this sorted. I will tell you the example of how it is now.

In one of my recent visits to an Airport, the gaurd did not close the door properly and went to check the next car, me being in hurry started with door open intending to close it myself later and to my surprise the door got closed by itself when I was crossing one of those bumps. So thats how it should be!

Last edited by anilisanil : 28th June 2011 at 11:21.

Most Viewed