Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 12:49   #4036
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Rohing spot on.. experiences with my car has been interesting. I have had mileage ranging from 11 kmpl to 19kmpl. yes its a diesel and surprised me when i got 11 kmpl. Just like others i was also cribbing when i got such a low FE. However, when you put into perspective, you would know why?

My city commute daily involves about 45- 60 minutes drive to work ( one way) this is to cover a distance of 18kms. Imagine, if you are driving the same time on a highway without gear change or braking, what is the distance one would cover? definitely more than 18kms. this by itself will clearly show how much difference one would get in terms of mileage.

I get a city mileage of 14kmpl after the second service, which is pretty damn good for the kind of traffic. Also, driving at second gear, many people tend to half clutch, plus some tend to clutch whilst braking this tends to reduce mileage plus reduce your clutch plate life. Clutch only to change gears not to brake. Reduce speed and downshift when required.
Old 29th March 2011, 20:39   #4037
Distinguished - BHPian

Long Drive in Figo

Just back from a 1200 Kms Drive (Chennai-Madurai-Chennai;Madurai-Kodai Foothills) and am mighty impressed with the Figo!!

• Handles as good as my Fiesta 1.6 ZXi and rides a lot better.
  • Steering is WOW again! Near Fiesta.
  • Seating position is spot on. I drove close to 500 Kms continuosly with only a single stopover and no back pain. I couldn't do this with my Ikon.
  • Stock Music system is decent and bluetooth is the icing in the cake!
  • There's so much space inside the car. I mean, a Indica has to look big to be big inside, the Figo has tight exterior proportions and yet lots of space inside.
  • Driveability is good with no turbo lag.
Dis Likes:
  • The 1.4L TDCi is good for cruising but lacks punch. Overtaking needs to be planned.
  • Gearshift is not as good as the Fiesta TDCi. I got metal clinging sound when I shifted from 3rd to 4th.
  • NVH is poor in comparison to the Fiesta TDCi. The kick that the AC compressor gives when it switches on freaked me out!
  • Rattles from the door pad and the B pillar when listening to high bass notes in the songs.
  • To hell with the 4M rule.This car needs longer bumpers to protect the tailgate, radiator etc. in the event of collisions.
  • The horn is very difficult to press! Like in the Fiesta Airbag versions.
  • With the speedo buried at 120-140 Km/Hour the mileage was just around 15 Kms/Litre. I won't complain but what does the Junta feel about this?
Overall the Figo is an excellent VFM highway cruiser and I only wish the Global Fiesta hatch comes soon to India and takes the game to the next level.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:18   #4038
BHPian

To be honest, I am not scientifically 100% sure of my explanation but will this what I feel and I strongly think it is true. I will put it out there and let other members correct me.

Each position of the 'coolness' knob corresponds to a 'desired' temperature setting..similar to how we set temperature in our Room A/C's. So when the temperature is reached, the compressor switches off and it is only the blower that is working. When the temperature increases, the compressor switches on again. Therefore, if you set the 'coolness' at a moderate level, the compressor will switch off more often and hence lessor load on the engine and hence higher mileage. I always set me A/C to be in the middle of the blue range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
How would the coolness setting affect mileage ?
Old 29th March 2011, 21:42   #4039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
To be honest, I am not scientifically 100% sure of my explanation but will this what I feel and I strongly think it is true. I will put it out there and let other members correct me.
You are spot on with that.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:43   #4040
BANNED

Quote:
Each position of the 'coolness' knob corresponds to a 'desired' temperature setting..similar to how we set temperature in our Room A/C's. So when the temperature is reached, the compressor switches off and it is only the blower that is working. When the temperature increases, the compressor switches on again. Therefore, if you set the 'coolness' at a moderate level, the compressor will switch off more often and hence lessor load on the engine and hence higher mileage. I always set me A/C to be in the middle of the blue range.
Actually changing the temp. knob controls the flow of warm air from the radiator and mixes it with the cold air from the compressor.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:52   #4041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Actually changing the temp. knob controls the flow of warm air from the radiator and mixes it with the cold air from the compressor.
I was not aware of this. How is it in the case of climate control ? Does the compressor work less if the temperature setting is higher ?
Old 29th March 2011, 22:11   #4042
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long Drive in Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

1.and rides a lot better.

2.To hell with the 4M rule.This car needs longer bumpers to protect the tailgate, radiator etc. in the event of collisions.
1. I wonder why. Smaller tires?
2. Actually IIRC its well under 4m. They could have given it longer bumpers and stayed under.

Last edited by Mpower : 29th March 2011 at 22:12.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:19   #4043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, if you set the 'coolness' at a moderate level, the compressor will switch off more often and hence lessor load on the engine and hence higher mileage. I always set me A/C to be in the middle of the blue range.
Quote:
YES. The more you more towards the Red Zone, the more of the hot coolant circulates through some place that heats the air coming into the cabin. So i really dont think the compressor would run less. The cooling would be less.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:28   #4044
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I was not aware of this. How is it in the case of climate control ? Does the compressor work less if the temperature setting is higher ?
In a climate control system

1. Fan speed reduces as the car nears the set temperature
2. This is followed by the automatic switching off of the recirculating air option as the temperature has approached the set value
3. Finally it is followed by switching off of the compressor

And when it begins to get hotter then the system does everything vice versa and also in the reverse order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
1. I wonder why. Smaller tires?
2. Actually IIRC its well under 4m. They could have given it longer bumpers and stayed under.

1. Fiesta and Figo have same sized tires. Plus the fiesta has a better ride, maybe kiku like the figo ride as his figo is newer than the fiesta .
2. Agreed but don't you think cars looks sleeker with such bumpers. IMO its looks better but yes, it does not protect the bootlid as much but its also not that bad at its job.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 29th March 2011 at 22:32.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:34   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is partly correct. In manual control air con this will only happen when the knob is positioned in the area where blue and red zones intermingle, shown in some cars by a dotted area or when the knob is in the red zone. As long as the knob is within the full blue zone it is as rohing explained and the compressor does cut off early or late per the position of the knob.

In the auto air con equipped cars the hot air mixing can take place at any stage in order to maintain the set temperature. Here too the comp does cut off early if the desired settings are closer to the ambient temperatures.

BTW there is no hot air coming from the radiator. There is a valve which depending on the signals that it receives lets in or stops hot coolant into a pipe that lies in the air flow path. Again in more advanced setups (read automatic) the amount of hot coolant that is allowed in is more tightly controlled.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:49   #4046
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
BTW there is no hot air coming from the radiator. There is a valve which depending on the signals that it receives lets in or stops hot coolant into a pipe that lies in the air flow path. Again in more advanced setups (read automatic) the amount of hot coolant that is allowed in is more tightly controlled.
I meant that only khoj but i wanted it to make simpler for everyone so i used that notation.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:49   #4047
BHPian

I am explanation about compressor cutting off stands true for modern room A/C's. This I am sure. This is also true for more cutting edge cooling systems in cars.

As far as the Figo goes, I think I experienced it in few days I have been driving it. I will try it again tomorrow. Again I cannot be 100% sure because I am quite a new owner of the Figo. Here is experiment (try it during the night for faster results):

1. Switch on the car and turn the A/C knob to the blue zone (completely in blue somewhere close the red). Say around the 11 o clock position and switch on the AC. Keep the fan in 3-4 setting. Hopefully, since it is night, the car should cool sufficiently soon.
2. Keep you hands and feel the air coming from the vents. At a certain point of time, the compressor should cut off and you should feel the difference, because the air coming in the vent would not be cold but rather outside temperature. This change should be fairly obvious. Also at that point of time once should be able to feel the compressor shutting off/switching on later by noise or the slight vibration.

Let me try out tomorrow.
Old 29th March 2011, 23:28   #4048
Distinguished - BHPian

@mpower, mustang - figo and fiesta have the same tires but I remember a ford service advisor mentioning that the fiesta got complaints of having a hard suspension and hence the figo is bit softer than the fiesta. How much of this is true I don't know But my fiesta pitches when going over speed breakers, the figo doesn't.

Yes the rear looks sleek with those near flush mounted bumper but then like mpower says there definetly is space for an inch atleast.

The figo isn't mine by the way.
Old 30th March 2011, 08:26   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Try this experiment. This too might be more perceivable at night. After running the car for atleast 5-6 km. Turn the A/C Fan position to 1 or 2. Turn off the a/c compressor switch While keeping the temperature knob to the coolest (extreme of blue). Now slowly turn the temperature knob towards the red zone. Once the knob crosses the 9'o clock position you will start feeling the air getting hotter which means that the hot coolant has started circulating.

If this is the case i dont think the car would have an additional thermostat to check the interior temparature and turn off the compressor depending on the setting and the cabin temperature.

@ Kiku; Mustang: I have also felt that the Figo is much more comfortable to be in than the Fiesta on bad roads at slow speeds. The sound dampening of the suspension is far better in the Fiesta Though.
Old 30th March 2011, 11:39   #4050
BHPian

Quote:
+1
For car ACs unless it is an Automatic one, the compressor doesn't switch off unless the user does so manually.
Quote:
Also at that point of time once should be able to feel the compressor shutting off/switching on later by noise or the slight vibration.
What you felt was the fan that cools the engine increasing speed and decreasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In manual control air con this will only happen when the knob is positioned in the area where blue and red zones intermingle, shown in some cars by a dotted area or when the knob is in the red zone. As long as the knob is within the full blue zone it is as rohing explained and the compressor does cut off early or late per the position of the knob.
How would a manual AC know when to cut off, when it doesn't have a cabin temp sensor?
If it had one it would be called an Auto-AC.

Last edited by Daewood : 30th March 2011 at 11:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks