Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 17:21   #2806
BHPian

My Figo TDCi could not climb a basement parking slope in first gear with AC off!

I was climbing a basement parking slope (must be like 55 degrees) with just me in the car with AC off. I had to brake midway on a slope due to a car ahead of me. I could not get the car to pull itself from the middle of the slope.

Luckily, there was no vehicle behind me and I could roll down to the plain surface and zoom to climb the slope.

I am alarmed/ This could be a disaster on hill driving.

Is this normal or should I visit the dealer workshop?
Old 30th June 2010, 17:26   #2807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage9091 View Post
I was climbing a basement parking slope (must be like 55 degrees) with just me in the car with AC off. I had to brake midway on a slope due to a car ahead of me. I could not get the car to pull itself from the middle of the slope.

Luckily, there was no vehicle behind me and I could roll down to the plain surface and zoom to climb the slope.

I think this is definitely not normal. Everyday I climb a steep incline like the one you said while I'm driving back from office and there's always a car right in front of me and behind me as well. I've never faced this kind of a situation and its a 1.2. Are you sure you didn't have the handbrake on.

Last edited by atrisarkar : 30th June 2010 at 17:27.
Old 30th June 2010, 17:35   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is what most have experienced when climbing slopes. Most have complained that you cant move ahead in second if you slow down on a slope. You need to raise the rpm close to 1300-1500 range before releasing the clutch in case you are starting on such a slope. I really dont know if its like this on all diesels but i feel Figo is like this.
Old 30th June 2010, 17:37   #2809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
TMost have complained that you cant move ahead in second if you slow down on a slope. You need to raise the rpm close to 1300-1500 range before releasing the clutch in case you are starting on such a slope.
Sir, ONE SHOULD USE FIRST GEAR all the time - Otherwise, your GB and engine mounts take a beating for sure
Old 30th June 2010, 18:10   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
I think this is definitely not normal. Everyday I climb a steep incline like the one you said while I'm driving back from office and there's always a car right in front of me and behind me as well. I've never faced this kind of a situation and its a 1.2. Are you sure you didn't have the handbrake on.
I will get this problem checked. I'm sure that the hand brake was not pulled at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
This is what most have experienced when climbing slopes. Most have complained that you cant move ahead in second if you slow down on a slope. You need to raise the rpm close to 1300-1500 range before releasing the clutch in case you are starting on such a slope. I really dont know if its like this on all diesels but i feel Figo is like this.
The second gear in my car is useless on plain surface too. If I decelerate to 10-20 kmph, I NEED to downshift to first gear to pull ahead. I will check for any mistakes in my driving and also consult the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, ONE SHOULD USE FIRST GEAR all the time - Otherwise, your GB and engine mounts take a beating for sure
I won't use a high gear on a slope except the first gear. Thanks for the warning.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:12   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
I will get this problem checked. I'm sure that the hand brake was not pulled at that time.

The second gear in my car is useless on plain surface too. If I decelerate to 10-20 kmph, I NEED to downshift to first gear to pull ahead. I will check for any mistakes in my driving and also consult the workshop.

I won't use a high gear on a slope except the first gear. Thanks for the warning.
True - about the II gear.

I tried a workaround - generally we keep half clutch while climbing slopes, but when driving with the Figo, you need to fully release the clutch and keep the rpm in the range mentioned by gemi. Then it pulls. Yes, even I experience this daily. Its a quirk of this machine. And dangerous if you don't practice it.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:27   #2812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post

I tried a workaround - generally we keep half clutch while climbing slopes, but when driving with the Figo, you need to fully release the clutch and keep the rpm in the range mentioned by gemi. Then it pulls. Yes, even I experience this daily. Its a quirk of this machine. And dangerous if you don't practice it.
Hhm that's gonna damage the clutch!
Old 30th June 2010, 20:32   #2813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Hhm that's gonna damage the clutch!
Not half clutch always kiku. Just when climbing the first part of the slope or in stop go traffic on slopes.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:55   #2814
BHPian

@kage I too have experie6nced the same on my cousins Figo and had reported it earlier in one of my posts. Power loss when downshifting from 2nd to 1st esp on an incline.

Well my cousin has completed the 1st service of her Figo. Damages approx 1300 bucks at Metro Ford Bangalore. Asked her if she could find any difference after the service, she replied in the negative. Also she will be receiving a complete set of Bridgestones as there was a very faint pull to the left on the current Acceleres. Mentioned the same to Metro who tried alignment but did not amount to anything. So they agreed to change the set. This after approx 2500 kms .

OT: The Micra thread seems to be lagging far behind in both readership & views. People not so enthusiastic about the car??
Old 30th June 2010, 22:18   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post

Thanks for the workaround Brix and Gemi. I have a concern about the power loss in 1st gear:

If some friend/relative who is unaware of this issue, faces the power loss on an incline, there could be serious damage to the car or the person.

I will chase Ford India to comment on this and give a solution hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
@kage I too have experie6nced the same on my cousins Figo and had reported it earlier in one of my posts. Power loss when downshifting from 2nd to 1st esp on an incline.
coldice4u, does the power loss happen when trying to pull in 1st gear from a stationary position on an incline? This is what I faced today.

I have also experienced power loss while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear which forces me to further downshift to 1st gear. 2nd gear seems useless at speed bumps and start-stop traffic conditions.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:42   #2816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
All models barring the base Lxi version comes with a tachometer. Guess english was referring to the Lxi version.

Hi Thanks for that, I was mentioning EXI. Brochure is confusing, it doesnt show TACHO option for EXI

Started scratching head on how to get add on tacho without voiding warranty
Old 1st July 2010, 02:55   #2817
BHPian

Boy, now this is scary. So you guys are saying this vehicle once stopped on a moderately sharp incline, fails to climb it even on first gear??? Now I have not driven diesel cars extensively but would assume here that it's not a common trait of all diesel engines, please correct me if I'm wrong here.
The engine should be delivering sufficient power even before the turbo kicks in right? I'm really confused and dazed by this behavior and it's a nightmare since the landscape of major part of the state where I am is pretty much sinusoidal to say the least.
Old 1st July 2010, 09:36   #2818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Boy, now this is scary. So you guys are saying this vehicle once stopped on a moderately sharp incline, fails to climb it even on first gear??? Now I have not driven diesel cars extensively but would assume here that it's not a common trait of all diesel engines, please correct me if I'm wrong here.
The engine should be delivering sufficient power even before the turbo kicks in right? I'm really confused and dazed by this behavior and it's a nightmare since the landscape of major part of the state where I am is pretty much sinusoidal to say the least.
Most diesel cars can climb the steepest inclines seen in the basements of buildings and malls in second gear without accelerator pedal touched. This is with the rpm close to idle, i am sure Figo can do this too, i have tested Elantra, Swift, Verna, Scorpio, Punto and Fortuner.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:25   #2819
BHPian

I have not faced any problem with the petrol version. With higher torque, diesels should perform better. It could be a manufacturing related issue and not a generic issue with Figo
Old 1st July 2010, 11:17   #2820
BHPian

Does it have something to do with the fact that most Figo owners are new to diesel, and hence missing any trick initially on how to work it out?
Getting stuck in such a situation is not only extremely embarrassing but also gives you "heart in you mouth" moments very often. I believe that's not what one deserves after buying a car for around 5.5L.
Whatever is the case, most Figo TDCi owners have complained about stalling on an incline on one or more occasions, and I've failed to see such incidents reported by other car users, or may be I've not searched hard enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks