Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 16:18   #181
Team-BHP Support

So this has the ikon GB with the 1.4L TDCi engine.

Where does all this put the ikon. The ikon TDCi is selling pretty decent numbers and not just in taxi segment. I've seen many on the road.

The ikon costs Rs.6.2L on road bangalore. This is just a shade above the Swift.

I'm guessing that is where Ford will target the Figo. Right around the Swift.

What will happen to the ikon D then.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:20   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
In fact I consider it ergonomically correct to have it on the left.
Yes, you're correct. having indicator controls and other controls which are used frequently on the left hand side is apt.

Maybe since older cars like Ambys had their gear lever on the left side of the steering rod, manufacturers kept the indicator and headlight controls on the right and that practice continued.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:38   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Hey GTO I see you missed your trademark "A dead pedal will be sorely missed on long drives" line in this review just a "no dead pedal" comment instead!
Thats because GTO probably feels that Figo is a good all rounder city car but not really a highway performer.

Quoting GTO - This engine will do well within the city, but expect dull performance on the highway.

Rohan
Old 28th January 2010, 16:55   #184
BANNED

Quote:
We'll know soon. Rumour mills buzzing of a launch next week!
Thats very good news GTO. Will they start booking the car for delivery later in the March ?
Old 28th January 2010, 17:16   #185
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
@GTO - I found this feature Lane Change Indicator mentioned in other reports on the net. There is no mention of it in your review. Does Figo have it? Is it a useful feature?
Thanks a ton Rajiv! On my way to add it to the first page. I have these lane change indicators on the C220 and they are a boon on the expressway. Basically, just tap the turn indicator half way through, and the turn light blinks 3 - 4 times. Thus, you don't have to change the lane and then push the lever back into position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
GTO,

Were any questions regarding the New Fiesta or future Ford offerings in India raised during the event?
I was only wanting the Figo 1.6 S. And their facial expression said it all. It will come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
But you have often criticised the C-Pillar "Christmas Tree" style lights haven't you (in the Vista & the Figo too).
I'm glad you asked. See, the execution is entirely different.

Vista : Light runs very long, right from the roof to the bumper. Terribly outdated.
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-vista.jpg

Figo : About 70% of the way to the bumper. Again, so out of style.
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-5m.jpg

But in the Punto, the design is perfect. Hardly a x'mas tree light thanks to the short length. About as long as the rear windscreen. Simply wicked!
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc02728.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
What will happen to the ikon D then.
So true. The Ikon D and the Fiesta D, both running the same engine, have cause for worry after the Figo is launched.
Old 28th January 2010, 18:25   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But in the Punto, the design is perfect. Hardly a x'mas tree light thanks to the short length. About as long as the rear windscreen. Simply wicked!
Somehow a similar setup for the Endeavour as the Punto doesnt really have much of an appeal. I would anyday prefer the Fortuner type taillamps there. Or is it coz its an SUV?

Quote:
So true. The Ikon D and the Fiesta D, both running the same engine, have cause for worry after the Figo is launched.
What the Ikon and Fiesta D would do is satisfy those customers who have requirement for a boot. I dont suppose its just the engine which would prove to be the deciding factor. Personally, if i can afford it, i would always prefer a saloon over a hatch.

Imagine a scenario where you're carrying dirty socks/shoes and you have just a hatch! Yuck!
Old 28th January 2010, 19:59   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton Rajiv! On my way to add it to the first page. I have these lane change indicators on the C220 and they are a boon on the expressway. Basically, just tap the turn indicator half way through, and the turn light blinks 3 - 4 times. Thus, you don't have to change the lane and then push the lever back into position.

I was only wanting the Figo 1.6 S. And their facial expression said it all. It will come!

1. IIRC I have driven a 2000 model Indica which had turn indicator stalk that can be slightly tapped (Or may be we need to hold it). I don't know if the intention was this feature.

2. Thanks for the update GTO. For many like me, the Fiesta 1.6S (I settled for the 1.6 ZXi) is just too expensive. The Figo 1.6S would be god send gift for us! Won't see volumes but then if Ford doesn't satisfy this need then who will?

If only wishes were horses, Ford can launch a Figo 1.6 Cup like the VW Polo Cup in India

3. How much volume do the Ikon D & Fiesta D generate anyways? The potential customer for these sedans would have already made up his mind.
Old 28th January 2010, 20:06   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Ikon will continue to appeal to the segment that wants an affordable diesel sedan for the snob value and a boot. Some cannibalization is inevitable, but it will not be too much in my opinion.
Old 28th January 2010, 20:09   #189
Senior - BHPian

As usual a very comprehensive test drive and review, GTO

Do you have any idea about the launch timeframe as i am on lookout for a small car for my brother and have already booked Swift ABS.

And does the top variant has ABS, any idea.

Swift delivery will take at least 1.5 month more so wont mind checking out Figo if it fits the bill.

thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 20:11   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
And does the top variant has ABS, any idea.
As per GTO, the top variant has ABS & Airbags.
Old 28th January 2010, 20:59   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

What the Ikon and Fiesta D would do is satisfy those customers who have requirement for a boot. I dont suppose its just the engine which would prove to be the deciding factor. Personally, if i can afford it, i would always prefer a saloon over a hatch.

Imagine a scenario where you're carrying dirty socks/shoes and you have just a hatch! Yuck!
lol. Benny that was my point. In India if 2 cars with same engine at similar price points but one being a sedan and other being a hatch are offered to the customers. Customers will lean towards the Sedan and not the hatch.

Only the small majority which realize that it is a new product will go for the hatch.

My concern is the ikon will eat into the Figo to some extent.

Same with the 1.3L Rocam petrol. Would you take the 1.2L 68bhp petrol Figo or the 1.3L Rocam petrol ikon. Price will be marginally lower for the hatch.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:47   #192
Senior - BHPian

There will be an overlap and its unavoidable. Just like Accent and i-20 you have to choose between old gen sedan or new gen hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The reasoning is that when the light continuously the driver of the vehicle in the rear notices that better than just a brake lamp which is just lighted up.
Interesting, is this only on the ABS equipped version?
This feature was pioneered by BMW on their E65. On vehicles equipped with Brake Assist, the ABS controller can detect a panic brake situation and flash the brake lights (at any speed).

Does Jetta and Passat come with brake assist?

I guess Ford took the simpler and less sophisticated route by flashing the parking lights above a certain speed. But it can be annoying and misleading because people tend to 'feather' the brakes quite often at freeway speeds just to scrub off some speed.

Interesting? So in addition to the ABS feature you can also get better braking at all times.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th January 2010 at 21:49.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:51   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Whatever I know has been put up here. Ford responded to all 1.6 questions with a wicked grin
Even if they bring, then it might compete with Polo 1.6 Or their very own Fiesta S. Its hard to see the Figo 1.6 positioning.
Why would you buy Figo 1.6 when you already have a tuned Fiesta 1.6S already available in the market ? Price is one thing I see, or if someone prefers a hatch over sedan. It cannot be handling. Fiesta S is way superior.

A Figo 1.6 'Sport' would be a must for that 100 bhp (same upgrades as Fiesta S). More power mean more quality to sustain the roads, means more price. Back to Zero. But would be interesting to see the enthusiast market choosing between Figo 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6... Both have their own presence. Dont they?

Brilliant write up GTO. I think your checklist has graduated to a book from notepads.
Old 29th January 2010, 02:08   #194
BHPian

Thank You - GTO :)

Excellent writeup GTO ! I am amazed at the honesty and the responsibility with which you capture every minute detail for the benefit of everyone at this forum and beyond.

Though I am a member since quite some time now, I have't really had anything to post recently. But then that didn't prevent from reading this forum almost daily and on my long boring weekends and getting a kick out of it.
I loved the Manza review, was fascinated by the Beat's and I am head over heals on Figo's. I must have forwarded the link to at least 20 colleagues on the first day of reading it (one from whom have already cancelled his booking for Swift D today and wants to wait for the Figo to launch).

A BIG THANK YOU to you for helping us in making a decision about one of the most imp purchases in our life. A car means a lot to me and my family and once bought, It stays with us like a family member on which we are quite dependant.

I am not sure of the monetary aspects involved but with the kind of knowledge and expertise you have in this domain (and the honesty with which you review a product), just know that your every word in your posts has the power to influence a common man like me to put my hard earned money into one of these machines.

Thanks Again ! I wish YOU and TEAM-BHP lots of success and prosperity in times to come
Old 29th January 2010, 02:57   #195
Senior - BHPian

On the rear lights discussion, I too find the looks of the Punto real hot, and that of the Indica quite archaic.
The Figo is merely so-so in looks from all angles, not just the rear, particularly in the light of recent cars like the Punto and the i20.
But I need to see it in person before passing a judgment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks