Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 21:09   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_rocker View Post
@Gilead and Sanjayc
even i have noticed a slightly different "thud" sounds between the front doors and rear doors.. the front doors shut with a positive thud but the rear door creates a rapping sound ( like 2 thuds!!) as if something inside the door panel is loose.. this i observed from the day i did the PDI at the stockyard.
Is this "thud" sound experienced while closing the doors from inside or outside? For me, there is difference between the two..maybe the difference in ambience is creating the perception.

And yes, I also feel the different sound from front/rear doors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_rocker
1. which company provides the best coating? - 3M, Waxoyl, Teflon
The jury is out...but I will go with 3M, simply becos of the dependability of the distributor in question. In Chennai, this is Shree Balaji agencies which I have seen from 2003 onwards. They are dependable and quality of work is good.

Quote:
2. Which is the best underbody paint protection?
I did my 2nd service today - during under body inspection, I noticed that the waxoyl protection is rock solid..those thick rubbery coating is still intact at all places and could not find where they have peeled off/disappeared. So while I would recommend Waxoyl for this, my only issue with them is that their service is avlbl only at dealers and not outside (at least in Chennai-someone correct me if I am wrong).

Quote:
3. How do I ensure they are genuine?
Let me know when you get the answer But seriously, you need to go to authorised dealer or your a.s.s - FYI, here MPL Ford has tie up with 3M whereas Chennai Ford has tie up with Opulent - Waxoyl - Both are Ford approved.

Quote:
4. Whats the guarantee of 3 free services for paint protection?
Only 3M gives this..they provide service coupons which you can show to them to avail of the free service. is it 3 or 2 free service?

Quote:
5. How much does it cost (package and individually)
Its priced differently for brand new cars <3 months and old cars..Cost depends on bargaining power but generally budget for around 5-6K for complete package - paint protection/underbody coating/cavity protection/engine compartment/fabric upholstery protection

Quote:
6. Also the best sun film? Does the front windshield need it?
I have installed Huper-Optik and based on my experience the quality/feel/performance is better than 3M but costlier - however, for the reason mentioned above, I will opt for 3M becos of sheer dependability of the authorized dealer.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:18   #287
BHPian

Completed my 2nd free service (10K kms)...mixed feelings..will post details.

Couple of quick questions:
1. How many a/c related filters are there in Fiesta - as per user manual, the pollen filter is supposed to be replace every 6 mths/10K kms - but the a.s.s says there is no such thing? AFAIK, there should be a pollen/hepa filer under the wiper area and another black colored filter accessible from inside the cabin. Can someone confirm?

2. Again as per service manual, wheel balancing is part of free service (it's shown in the colored chart at the end of the manual) but I am charged 300/- for the same! What gives?
Old 15th June 2010, 22:40   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Gilead and Sanjayc
even i have noticed a slightly different "thud" sounds between the front doors and rear doors.. the front doors shut with a positive thud but the rear door creates a rapping sound ( like 2 thuds!!) as if something inside the door panel is loose.. this i observed from the day i did the PDI at the stockyard.
I have a proper thud on all 4 doors. The 3 doors that I don't use often give a thud that's more solid than the one that I use everyday. You should check other cars during the second service and if yours sounds weird like 2 thuds then you should bring it to their notice.

Quote:
I need some help guys.. about the paint protection and underbody coating part
1. which company provides the best coating? - 3M, Waxoyl, Teflon
2. Which is the best underbody paint protection?
3. How do I ensure they are genuine?
4. Whats the guarantee of 3 free services for paint protection?
5. How much does it cost (package and individually)
6. Also the best sun film? Does the front windshield need it?
Go with 3M for paint protection and underbody coating. You get 2 free additional service coupons for the paint protection and the underbody coating comes with a 3 year warranty. The underbody coat is a thick goo like paste and it's not likely to come out unless you massively scrape the underbody somewhere.

As for sunfilm, get Garware or 3M based on your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Completed my 2nd free service (10K kms)...mixed feelings..will post details.

Couple of quick questions:
1. How many a/c related filters are there in Fiesta - as per user manual, the pollen filter is supposed to be replace every 6 mths/10K kms - but the a.s.s says there is no such thing? AFAIK, there should be a pollen/hepa filer under the wiper area and another black colored filter accessible from inside the cabin. Can someone confirm?
It was not changed in mine as well. Maybe they usually this only if you complain of allergic reaction?

Quote:
2. Again as per service manual, wheel balancing is part of free service (it's shown in the colored chart at the end of the manual) but I am charged 300/- for the same! What gives?
I didn't do wheel balancing there so I don't know. You should just copy paste these two questions and send it to the custmail ID. They will definitely respond.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:25   #289
BHPian

Here it how it went with Service Advisor Riyaz & Senior Advisor Rajesh.

Me: I want to replace the A/C Pollen Filter.
Riyaz: Not required sir.
Me: User Manual say it is advisable to replace every 6mths/10000 Kms
Riyaz: But your ODO is only 6800+ Kms
Me: But 6mths is almost over..what is your problem? If I am willing to pay for it, just replace it
Riyaz: <Searches for it in the parts dropdown menu by entering %POLLEN%, nothing comes up, phones up someone...confusion..clueless for the next 10 mins>

Couple of other SAs trod by..on being enquired, they say, pollen filter is not supposed to be replace during 2nd Free service..only if the customer says there is some problem in the A/c we will check...to which I reply, I am allergic to dust, and I want my pollen filter clean. If I am willing to pay for the part+labor, why it cannot be replaced, until & unless you guys do not have stock.

Next, I am told the computer system will automatically list down the parts/labour details once the 6M/10K/2nd Service option is selected.
By this time, Riyaz, proceeds to print the estimation/job sheet. On the printout, he finally notes down by hand that pollen filter is to be renewed.

Meanwhile, separately, with Rajesh, I insist on tyre rotation/wheel balancing...rotation free of cost - wheel balancing will be charged 300/- I am informed. Delivery promised at 4pm. (I went at 8:45am)

Land up at 4pm sharp. I am told vehicle is under wash and it will take another 1 hr. Felt like screwing Riyaz's happiness, but then, seeing the rush, ask him to overmanage and ensure things are done fast.

Few minutes later, Rajesh spots me, comes over..says everything done..but pollen filter cannot be replaced since Ford has discontinued the part..goes ahead and talks some crap regarding mesh filter etc and says Fiesta models no longer comes with Pollen filter. Obviously, I am not convinced...decide that will take the vehicle & check out in the forum regarding this once back.

Finally, at 5:30 the car is ready..for once the washing neat..waxoyl guys have done some touch up since at few spots whitish wax was visible.

Now comes the surprise - Rajesh turns up alongwith Riyaz, and informs me that the Pollen filter has been replaced - I see the invoice - it says A/C Filter - cost some 113/-...Am not sure what to say..First I am dissuaded to replace, next I am told this is no longer fitted in Fiesta, finally, it gets replaced. I ask them to show them the old part - below is the picture of what they have replaced.

Seems to me this is the cabin filter..it looks exactly like Windows A/C filter, only smaller in size. Pollen filters are supposed to paper based and can only be replace...no use cleaning them once too much junk has been gathered on them.

The filter (pic below) that they replaced, is in perfect condition, not much dirt, and anyways being made on plastic/synthetic, is washable & resuable, just like home a/c filters.

Decide not to raise much of a fuss as of then. Wanted to gather more info before confronting them.

Came back home. Did some research...not able to find much info, except that there is some a/c related filter towards the front passenger right air vents (below the glove box, towards right, a/c air vents are there). Checked in the morning, there is a flap here which can be removed. Found it to be loose, ie, fixed at the front end but towards the back side, they have forgotten to fix the screw - typical careless.

NOW, WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS THIS:

1. How many filters are there in Fiesta, which is directly related/connected to A/C / HVAC system and its functioning?

2. If there are more than one, where are they placed?

3. My odo at service handover was 6824..on getting it back it was 6829 - 5Kms difference!! Is it becos of wheel alignment/tyre rotation/testing etc?

===========
My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ac_filter.jpg
Old 16th June 2010, 12:44   #290
Senior - BHPian

@sanjayc

I had enquired with the service workshop regarding the pollen filter and they confirmed that they had actually inspected the pollen filter during the second service in May and was found to be OK, hence did not replace the same. This check is mentioned in their check list when they open a job card and the SA assured me of showing the job card with check list which was opened during my Fiesta's second service whenever I visit the workshop.
See the link.
WikiAnswers - Where is the pollen filter on a ford fiesta
Old 16th June 2010, 13:00   #291
BHPian

@ghodlur, I did see the Wiki link you posted and i.e. how checked the place under the glove box, and found it to be loose.

However, the problem is I don't think the picture I have posted is a pollen filter. By the look of it, there is no way this filter can trap smoke/fine dust particles

The type of pollen filter I am referring to:
Pollen filter / cabin filter for FORD Fiesta 02 >
How to Change the Cabin Air Filter in a Toyota - wikiHow
http://www.billswebspace.com/cabinfiltervwmkiv.pdf
POLLEN CABIN FILTER FORD FIESTA MK6 1.4 DIESEL 02 ON: MAH-D-LAK169-A Doctor Car Parts
How to remove & replace the cabin air filter to a MINI Cooper | Video « Wonder How To

Though the above pertains to other brands/models, Fiesta must be having something similar...my guess is it should be present below the wipers/air vents at the bottom of the windscreen. This is the ideal place for filters so that outside-air coming in can be cleaned. The picture I have posted seems to filter the air from inside the cabin getting fed back into the recirculation chamber - like in home a/cs.

If you look at this type of filter, they are non-washable and needs to be replaced based on the amount of junk collected.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:24   #292
Senior - BHPian

sanjay, you are right. That looks like a regular AC filter and not some kind of a pollen filter. Maybe Ford calls this filter the pollen filter? Is there a mention of another regular AC filter in the manual? You can check in the maintenence checklist.

ghodlur: did you actually see the pollen filter? I think they must have may just replaced the filter pictured above.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:10   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
sanjay, you are right. That looks like a regular AC filter and not some kind of a pollen filter. Maybe Ford calls this filter the pollen filter? Is there a mention of another regular AC filter in the manual? You can check in the maintenence checklist.
A/C filter cleaning is mentioned in the checklist. No pollen word mentioned here. But, just the 2nd page after the checklist in the manual (under extended warranty coverage section), it does mention "Pollen Filter" to be replaced every 6mths/10K kms.

Have been searching the entire forum from yday but no clear cut clues are avlbl - mostly it deals with air filters (air-intake K&N etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead
ghodlur: did you actually see the pollen filter? I think they must have may just replaced the filter pictured above.
The issue with me is filter pictured above does not need replacement..just cleaning will do, like in home a/c, this is used for years until the ends are broken..this can be washed endlessly.

Now, it is entirely possible that this particular filter can be replaced with the 3rd party one like bosch, provided it is the same dimensions but better filtering capability. Like the wiper blades. Not sure though.

My confusion arises from the fact that the pictured filter is no way capable of filtering out minute dust particles..so something else should be there somewhere. But, again, when fresh-air is on, I can clearly smell smoke/pollution inside the cabin..so there may not be a pollen filter after all.

Now, assuming that indeed there is a pollen filter of the paper kind, you can easily imagine (by seeing the links I have posted), how much grime it can gather....if a engine air-filter needs to be replaced every X kms, then this also ought to be replaced...primarily both are doing the same function...isn't it?

Seems like a new thread needs to be started for getting this clarified!!
Old 16th June 2010, 14:44   #294
Senior - BHPian

@gilead

No I did not see the filter since it was not replaced by Ford, only checked during second service. The SA told that it was not cleaned since no cleaning was reqd. Also since it was not charged it did not appear in the bill and hence no query from my side also. But when Sanjay raised the issue I had a word with SA to get clarity and he told that it was checked. He was also of the opinion that the pollen filter normally get replaced after a year of running during the specific AC checks.
I feel we are confusing with the air filter and the Pollen filter, IMO pollen filter is used exclusively for AC and air filter for engine air intake. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

@ sanjay - Did you see any specific ac checks carried out and the frequency of the same, maybe during that time the pollen filter would be replaced.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:47   #295
BHPian

Ghodlur, no confusion with engine air intake filter.

If you go thru the youtube videos I have posted, it is clearly positioned under the windscreen/wiper..the air intake filter will mostly be in the engine bay area.

It is quite possible that Fiesta does not have it..only high-end cars may be having it, but then the mention of it in the manual adds to the confusion.

Nope, I wasnt present during the service..I was so pissed of with the initial SA interaction, that I left it to GOD. I have carried out some of my own checks post the servicing and find other things mostly in order. Like the engine oil color/viscosity, matching the tyre serial nos and confirming that rotation indeed has been done. I can also feel the wheel alignment has made a perceptible difference. The door hinges and some other areas have been greased properly, the gear shift is slightly smoother than earlier, wiper washer liquid has been topped up..So overall feel about the vehicle is very good..I do not have any complaints as such.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:14   #296
BHPian

Kairali Ford gives a list of checks carried out. The paid service link also mentions appx cost. Wheel alignment at 2nd service is mentioned - I guess it should be free...Seems 300 bucks has been ripped off by Chennai Ford.

Kerala Cars Pvt Ltd. (Kairali Ford)
Old 17th June 2010, 09:00   #297
BHPian

Quote:
No, it's not available any more..
Heard from a dealer that the Aquarius Blue is being re-introduced...no idea if it's a goof off by the sales guy.

Quote:
...The 'thud' on the drivers door on my car sounds different from the 'thud' on all other doors...Does that make sense?
After a couple of years, I noticed the same in my car, same explanation was given to me! Like you I thought the guys were trotting out some excuse and sat on their heads till they cleaned and greased the doors in my presence.

Quote:
...for the logically minded, this will make sense until proven otherwise;-} something logical there, ain't it?
Yes, may sound like a lame excuse, but you're right, it does seem logical if you've used the car for a few years.

Regards,
Damu
Old 17th June 2010, 11:10   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kairali Ford gives a list of checks carried out. The paid service link also mentions appx cost. Wheel alignment at 2nd service is mentioned - I guess it should be free...Seems 300 bucks has been ripped off by Chennai Ford.

Kerala Cars Pvt Ltd. (Kairali Ford)
It does look like you were ripped off. Why don't you check with Ford customer service anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
After a couple of years, I noticed the same in my car, same explanation was given to me! Like you I thought the guys were trotting out some excuse and sat on their heads till they cleaned and greased the doors in my presence.
All my doors were greased too but the difference in sound is still there. Not that big a deal for me.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:16   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All my doors were greased too but the difference in sound is still there. Not that big a deal for me.
My Fiesta doors close with a "thunk" compared to the thud on your door. Gives a nice feeling.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:10   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My Fiesta doors close with a "thunk" compared to the thud on your door. Gives a nice feeling.
I think I would prefer a thud over a thunk. A tinny thunk is what you typically get from Marutis. lol I am yet to find a car below 10 lacs that has a thud like the Palios of 2002 did. The Punto and the Linea are nowhere close.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks