Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 14:06   #1306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Is'nt the DuraTech/Torq engines from FORD standard across US/Euro markets? If that be the case, it should already be Euro IV compliant, which is supposed to be stricter than BS4. Typically, emission norms here are 4-6 years behind Euro norms. With BS4, it will become kind of couple of years behind, going by various reports avlbl on the web.
The engines are old design ones, remember that Fiesta's have been coming with these engines for quite a while now. These are not the best engines available in the market (its a different story that they do their work magnificently well). To make these engines compliant to the latest norms, they may've to look at tweaking the ECU or adding an intercooler etc.

And guys, what with all this DTE talk!! Buy a diesel and forget all this mileage issues!!!
Old 8th January 2010, 14:13   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I don't understand this "grip" thing..how do you quantify or measure that? Does the braking distance reduce with better grip?
Not sure if grip can be quantified, but there is a big difference in grip between the S and the non-S cars. The S has 195 section tires. Larger the contact patch on the road, more the grip. And lesser mileage of course.

The weird DTE strikes again. It showed 415 when I filled in the tank in the morning. Had dropped to 405 after driving some 15 kms to office. When I left from office, it showed 425! So mileage seems to be back to normal. lol
Old 8th January 2010, 14:14   #1308
BHPian

BS-IV emission compliance for Fiesta

Quote:
Is'nt the DuraTech/Torq engines from FORD standard across US/Euro markets? If that be the case, it should already be Euro IV compliant, which is supposed to be stricter than BS4. Typically, emission norms here are 4-6 years behind Euro norms. With BS4, it will become kind of couple of years behind, going by various reports avlbl on the web.

@Jack, for existing non-BS4 owners there is no worry. If you question pertains to resalse of existing vehicle, since resale does not require re-registration, it should not be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
We can expect some ECU or cat con job on the Fiesta to make it compliant. It will most probably reduce the power.
I think resale requires re-registration of the car. I searched various other forums and found that few owners are not able to re-register their BS-II vehicles in these 11 cities currently, specifically Delhi. They are trying to do it either to sell or to relocate to these cities. Can anyone please confirm these?

Regarding ECU mapping or cat con job to make current Fiestas BS-IV compliant, I did not get any positive responses too, either from FORD or from SIAM. Please find below the 2 mails and their replies from each of them respectively:

Mail to FORD Customer Care:
---------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am from Kolkata and more or less decided to buy Fiesta 1.6 SXi Petrol within a couple of days. I am very impressed with Fiesta as an overall package. I would like to make a special mention of Fiesta's drivability.
However, I have a small question in my mind. The current Fiesta 1.6 SXi Petrol is Bharat Stage-III compliant. As we all know, Bharat Stage-IV compliance will be enforced in 11 metros (including Kolkata) from April, 2010 and Bharat Stage-III in rest of the country.
Considering this and taking into fact that I have a transferable job (probably across major cities only), I would like to know whether I will be able to ensure compliance as per the emission norms across places.
Will it be possible for Ford to make the current Fiesta 1.6. SXi petrol Bharat Stage-IV compliant later? Is the current Fiesta 1.6 SXi Bharat Stage-IV ready?
I will be eagerly waiting for your reply. My decision will be based on the response I get of this mail.
Thanks in advance.

Reply from FORD Customer Care:
-------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Ford India. Glad to know that you have decided to buy Fiesta 1.6 SXi Petrol.

Answers to your queries is given below.
Ford Fiesta engine is currently Bharat Stage-III compliant. The new emission regulation of Bharat Stage-IV will be in effect from 01 April 2010 therefore the vehicle manufacturers will start producing the modified vehicle closer to that date. Ford Fiesta is tested & proven for both Bharat Stage-IV and Bharat Stage-III fuel which is available across India. Moreover the emission regulation is applicable for manufacturers in order to design the vehicle to meet the emission norms. As a customer you will not have any issues.
Hope this clarifies your doubt and would enable you to proceed in purchasing the Fiesta.

We can call you to clarify further if required. Assuring you of our best services and continuous support at all times.

Thanks and Regards
Sriram.k
Customer Relations,
Ford India Limited.

Mail to SIAM Technical Team:
----------------------------
I am from Kolkata & planning to buy Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXi Petrol. Currently, the car is BS-III emission compliant. Considering BS-IV emission norms will be enforced in 11 cities including Kolkata from April, 2010, will I be facing any problem? Will Ford be able to make my vehicle BS-IV compliant then? If I get transferred to any of the 11 cities may be a year or 2 later, will I able to re-register my vehicle there?

Reply from SIAM Technical Team:
--------------------------------
Hi

Ford will not be able to upgrade your vehicle to BS IV as the BS IV vehicles are designed for the same and there are no add on systems which are used on BS III vehicles for the same.

Yes you would have problems in registering in Delhi after one year as Delhi would be having BS IV at that point of time and they do not register vehicles from outside not meeting the same. I am not aware about the rules in other cities.

K.K. Gandhi
SIAM

I have also heard different other stories from different sources. However, I have confirmed that there will be no problem in keeping the car with the original registration as well as re-registering it in post-April BS-III cities.

Experts, please comment.

@sanjayc: Can you please include this question in your list so that this gets answered in the Chennai Ford meet?
Old 8th January 2010, 14:16   #1309
Senior - BHPian

As already explained, there is no point in worrying this DTE matter. FORD themselves admit that 'DTE shows approximate distance to drive". Its only an rough indication for us to be cautious about fuel status in the car.?

If still worried, then follow the advise of @unni - sell your petrol cars and buy diesel ones
Old 8th January 2010, 14:42   #1310
Senior - BHPian

@nairrk,

What about the analog meter showing the fuel level? Does it mean that if the needle points to maximum on the meter it indicates 45 ltrs in the tank? When the needle points to the red mark how much fuel do you think would be left in the tank.

Yesterday during the night drive I happened to know the rear view mirror adjustment to avoid the high beam glare of the vehicles behind me. Quite a handy thing since the glare used to disturb me whenever someone used the dipper. Nice flip action to actuate the mirror during night driving.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:00   #1311
Senior - BHPian

I think when you reach around 40L, the needle points to full.
As far as low conditions are concerned, you have the Low fuel warning light which will start glowing once the needle touches the red mark, from then on you will have fuel to drive around 80kms (say around 5/6 litres?)
Old 8th January 2010, 15:18   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
I think resale requires re-registration of the car.
I don't think resale within the same state requires re-registration..only endorsement on the rc book of the new owner details. But, inter-state, it does require to be registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
@sanjayc: Can you please include this question in your list so that this gets answered in the Chennai Ford meet?
Moving this to the top of list;-}
Old 8th January 2010, 15:22   #1313
Senior - BHPian

I have observed the low fuel display illuminates when the DTE value touched 80 whereas the needle is still outside the red area.

Can someone provide information about usability of the aux in port provided. Can this be used to connect the mobile phone too as I have huge songs list in my mobile (4 GB card). Has anyone used the aux in, what cable is needed for connection.
Also the 12V supply connection provided, any idea which car phone charger can be used for the same.
The USB port connection is sorely missed in the Fiesta.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:25   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Yesterday during the night drive I happened to know the rear view mirror adjustment to avoid the high beam glare of the vehicles behind me. Quite a handy thing since the glare used to disturb me whenever someone used the dipper. Nice flip action to actuate the mirror during night driving.

Hope you are aware of this 2 other Gems;-}
1. Front Headlight angular adjustment - by turning the knob near the headlamp switch
2. Wiper speed can be adjusted from 1-6 (I think) when the wiper is in the down position (or is it the first up pos)

Don't remember seeing this above 2 in this particular thread..hence am mentioning here!
Old 8th January 2010, 15:31   #1315
Senior - BHPian

When one is selling the car, only the ownership is changed/transferred and all other details remain unaltered in the RC. No tax required to pay, but only the RC transfer fees which is very minimal. Ofcourse, if you have to register the car to other state then re-registration has to be done and also tax difference also to paid, as per tax structure of the new place of registration. (you can see very old cars, which even may not have any emission norms, being sold now and get transferred?)

So dont get panic in all these things, instead enjoy your car !
Old 8th January 2010, 15:36   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Front Headlight angular adjustment - by turning the knob near the headlamp switch
2. Wiper speed can be adjusted from 1-6 (I think) when the wiper is in the down position (or is it the first up pos)

Don't remember seeing this above 2 in this particular thread..hence am mentioning here!
@sanjayc,

The headlight angular adjustment knob is meant to be used depending upon the load conditions in the vehicle. There is a chart in the owners manual which talks about the adjustment. As of now it is at the same position as found during the delivery.
I havent got the oppurtunity to test the wipers and its features. Maybe will have to wait till monsoon.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:47   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
The headlight angular adjustment knob is meant to be used depending upon the load conditions in the vehicle. There is a chart in the owners manual which talks about the adjustment. As of now it is at the same position as found during the delivery.
Full Load or no, nothing stops you from adjusting the same. Between the lowest 0 to uppermost 4 position, I have found the throw difference of appx 15-20 metres, which makes quite a difference.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:52   #1318

Quote:
I have observed the low fuel display illuminates when the DTE value touched 80 whereas the needle is still outside the red area.

Can someone provide information about usability of the aux in port provided. Can this be used to connect the mobile phone too as I have huge songs list in my mobile (4 GB card). Has anyone used the aux in, what cable is needed for connection.
Also the 12V supply connection provided, any idea which car phone charger can be used for the same.
The USB port connection is sorely missed in the Fiesta.

I believe yes. I have done this using my Sony Ericsson w810i.
1. Connect the handsfree to your mobile and disconnect the ear-phones from the handsfree.
2. Connect one end of an AUX cable to the out-put of the hands free and the other end to the HU.

You can now stream the songs from the mobile.

NOTE: I have tried this only on the w810i as Sony provides such a handsfree. I am not sure whether other makes or models support this.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:54   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

++

Wiper, besides various speeds:

-press the wiper washer switch(end of the wiper liver), this will enable wiper operation for 3 times with washer fluid

-Do not operate the washer more thn 10 seconds at a time and never
operate washer when the reservoir is empty.

-Lift the wiper arms up when the vehicle is to be pakred for a long
period (This will improve the life of wiper rubber)

-Do not use the wipers in high speed when it is just drizzling.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:11   #1320
BHPian

Not panicked at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
When one is selling the car, only the ownership is changed/transferred and all other details remain unaltered in the RC. No tax required to pay, but only the RC transfer fees which is very minimal. Ofcourse, if you have to register the car to other state then re-registration has to be done and also tax difference also to paid, as per tax structure of the new place of registration. (you can see very old cars, which even may not have any emission norms, being sold now and get transferred?)

So dont get panic in all these things, instead enjoy your car !
Yes, nairrk. I am not bothered or panicked about all these things now. That is why I went ahead with my booking in spite of those not-so-positive mails from SIAM. But, considering myself environment conscious and a Greenpeace member, I would have just liked the fact that our car can be made BS-IV compliant. Hope to hear something positive in this front from the Chennai Ford meet.

And I am dying to get my car now. Somehow, the cheque to go from SBI to the dealer is taking days. Once the dealer realize the money in their account, then it's another 2 days for registration. I do not know when my wait will be over.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks