Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 11:06   #406
BHPian

Visibility blocked during taking U turns

Since all the Fiesta owners are here I did not start a new thread to discuss if anyone else faces such an issue.

For the 2nd time during my 3 month ownership I realized that the visibility is not good from the drivers seat. Let me elaborate on this.

Situation - Taking a U turn on a busy highway.
When I reach a standstill position where I am in between moving from my current lane to the other side and am almost at a right angle to the road. (illustrated in the pic sorry for the bad graphics).

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-blindspot.jpg

I experienced a blind spot created by the left pillar between the front and back sections and the front co passenger seat.
Not that it might not happen in other cars but I never had a conscious thought in any other car ever.

It might be that the co passenger seat is adjusted in a way that this creates a vision block.

Did anyone of you face such problem? I don’t see a solution to this in my case as this is more of an ergonomic issue.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th November 2009 at 11:08. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors and preview post before submitting. Thanks
Old 24th November 2009, 13:57   #407
Senior - BHPian

I think this particular blind spot will be present in most cars, especially if the passenger riding shotgun is built big. Maybe you notice it more on the Fiesta 'cos it's a new car and you are more careful.

Quote:
Guys - Need some clarification on water logging inside the car.
I just checked the floor of my car. No dampness. I have been driving through rains as well.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th November 2009 at 13:59.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:01   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Since all the Fiesta owners are here I did not start a new thread to discuss if anyone else faces such an issue.

For the 2nd time during my 3 month ownership I realized that the visibility is not good from the drivers seat. Let me elaborate on this.

Situation - Taking a U turn on a busy highway.

Did anyone of you face such problem? I don’t see a solution to this in my case as this is more of an ergonomic issue.
I've faced the same situation many times. Its the positioning of the seat and B pillar. Worse if you have some one sitting in the co-driver seat. Got to live with it!!
Old 24th November 2009, 14:29   #409
Senior - BHPian

In all cars, the co-driver seat will be in parallel with dirver seat and both these seat
occupants are sitting in same line, the driver may have poor view towards the left side when turning the car. In some occassion, the co-driver may be sitting little back-pushing the seat back. But in any case driver will not get a clear view.

Is there any different position in other cars where the driver can have un-interrupted view from his seat to left side ?
Old 24th November 2009, 14:33   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
In all cars, the co-driver seat will be in parallel with dirver seat and both these seat
occupants are sitting in same line, the driver may have poor view towards the left side when turning the car. In some occassion, the co-driver may be sitting little back-pushing the seat back. But in any case driver will not get a clear view.

Is there any different position in other cars where the driver can have un-interrupted view from his seat to left side ?
I've a Zen at home and never felt this as much as I feel it in the Fiesta. The view is not un-interrupted, but it seems better. Might be the positioning of B Pillar.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:38   #411
Senior - BHPian

Yes, possibly the B pillar which blocking the clear view.
Will it be improved by raising the seat level little high (ofcourse without the knee touching the dashboard !)
Old 24th November 2009, 14:39   #412
Senior - BHPian

can any body suggest that the antenna in fiesta has to be manually opened or it can be done automatically?
Old 24th November 2009, 14:45   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
can any body suggest that the antenna in fiesta has to be manually opened or it can be done automatically?
The antenna stays fixed at a slanting angle on top of the roof. No opening or closing needed.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:51   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Situation - Taking a U turn on a busy highway. When I reach a standstill position where I am in between moving from my current lane to the other side and am almost at a right angle to the road. (illustrated in the pic sorry for the bad graphics).
Hi Rastapopo (did the POPO come from the POM POM honking habit? ), the illustration you have given is what I do every time I take my fiesta out to the main road. In this case I am coming to the U turn space from the fast track of one side to the fast track of other side. So far I never had any issue on visiblity even at pitch dark night. This is from my observations driving alone or with 5 people inside. Compared to tall-boys WagonR or Santro, Fiesta might be giving less visibility, but I have never noticed this as an issue. By the way I am 5' 8" and seat height is adjusted to almost 80% up.

But I have a habit of leaning forward and looking when I take a sharp right turn where road ahead is either blocked by a building or a tree or a mountain (may be that is more visiblity restriction to me than the first case). Its just the feeling that some moron might be speeding to you from the opposite side.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:51   #415
Senior - BHPian

great review nairrk, it was a very descriptive and nice article written, what i have extracted from all the Fiestians is that choosing between the 1.6S and 1.6SXI is just a game of heart and head, but the SXI has got a rear seat folding option which is quite good in case of some special storage use
Old 24th November 2009, 14:56   #416
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

There is a slot in the glove box of Fiesta to keep coins. I inserted a few coins in the same and tried to retrieve it. Could not get it fast enough, it was a painful process. Has anybody used the feature. IMO The slot should have been outside glove box.
Also there is no place to keep CD's except the glove box or the Dashboard. In Santro there is a compatment available below the drivers seat to keep the CD's which is missing in Fiesta. My Glove box is already full with First aid kit, car papers & CD's.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:57   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
great review nairrk, it was a very descriptive and nice article written, what i have extracted from all the Fiestians is that choosing between the 1.6S and 1.6SXI is just a game of heart and head, but the SXI has got a rear seat folding option which is quite good in case of some special storage use
You may use the folding seat options maybe a couple of times a year, but you will get pristine handling and power delivery every time you drive an S. Do you have folks who will regularly sit in the back seat? Answering that one question should settle your SXI vs. S debate. If yes, go for SXi.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:08   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,

There is a slot in the glove box of Fiesta to keep coins. I inserted a few coins in the same and tried to retrieve it. Could not get it fast enough, it was a painful process. Has anybody used the feature. IMO The slot should have been outside glove box.
Also there is no place to keep CD's except the glove box or the Dashboard. In Santro there is a compatment available below the drivers seat to keep the CD's which is missing in Fiesta. My Glove box is already full with First aid kit, car papers & CD's.
+
if your dashboard is full of other things, how about below c/d case which has to be kept on the sunvisor?

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-cdvisor-002.jpg

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-cdvisor-003.jpg

You can store 20 cd's in it
Old 24th November 2009, 15:33   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I think this particular blind spot will be present in most cars, especially if the passenger riding shotgun is built big. Maybe you notice it more on the Fiesta 'cos it's a new car and you are more careful.
I agree in a way that this should be there in all the cars. But never did I ever think on this in the last say 12 years of driving a range of hatchbacks.
So my point is not that how can there be a blind spot. But it was never so obvious EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
I've faced the same situation many times. Its the positioning of the seat and B pillar. Worse if you have some one sitting in the co-driver seat. Got to live with it!!
I think there is something with the way the seat and the B pillar is situated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hi Rastapopo (did the POPO come from the POM POM honking habit? ), the illustration you have given is what I do every time I take my fiesta out to the main road. In this case I am coming to the U turn space from the fast track of one side to the fast track of other side. So far I never had any issue on visiblity even at pitch dark night. This is from my observations driving alone or with 5 people inside. Compared to tall-boys WagonR or Santro, Fiesta might be giving less visibility, but I have never noticed this as an issue. By the way I am 5' 8" and seat height is adjusted to almost 80% up.

But I have a habit of leaning forward and looking when I take a sharp right turn where road ahead is either blocked by a building or a tree or a mountain (may be that is more visiblity restriction to me than the first case). Its just the feeling that some moron might be speeding to you from the opposite side.
Shaju - I am 5.10 and my seat is 100% up and 95% pushed back. unlike you I dont usually lean forward - but as per the described illustration I have to lean. But like Unni said it was never so obvious in the other cars. So never had to lean. This is just to noticable.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th November 2009 at 16:01.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:36   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
You may use the folding seat options maybe a couple of times a year, but you will get pristine handling and power delivery every time you drive an S. Do you have folks who will regularly sit in the back seat? Answering that one question should settle your SXI vs. S debate. If yes, go for SXi.
folks wont sit much on the rear, as our drive would be quite less, but the dealer is refusing to go for S. as per him he has only sold 2 cars until now and says it is not as good as sxi
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks