Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 15:54   #1606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If breathing causes the situation, holding the breath until the fog disappears also helps !!
Sure will help..provided one can survive to verify that
Old 27th January 2010, 16:08   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
I recently bought Mapmyindia GPS VX140 (4.3" touchscreen) and
is quite good.

Suggest you refer the thread 'Gadgets,computers @ software'' with
sub thread ' satguide vs mapmyindia' wherein you can get many information about this navigator.
Also refer the thread ' Gps reciever in a car' -more informations on GPS
I think it has to be purchased online, i am also interested in VX140 only but is looking for SATNAV MOOV 560 also as it has 4.7" screen, any specific reason for not going for SATNAV
Please if you could throw some light on the practical features of it which is coming in regular use like how far is handsfree bluetooth effective how about playing movies on 4.3" screen?
Old 27th January 2010, 16:57   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Did you check the other threads as suggested?
I think answer to your question is already there!
I, myself have asked a question about loading/playing movies on it and it was
answered by @shamanth who also got same device VX140.

I bought it through ebay.in. You can buy it direct from MMI also.

MMI sells the product at Rs.14990 whereas the dealer (autoworld08) sells it at
Rs.14000 plus rs.150 shipping cost. Or else if you have got any one in delhi or visiting
delhi in the near future, then they can buy directly from MMI office?
Old 27th January 2010, 17:48   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I think it has to be purchased online, i am also interested in VX140 only but is looking for SATNAV MOOV 560 also as it has 4.7" screen, any specific reason for not going for SATNAV
Please if you could throw some light on the practical features of it which is coming in regular use like how far is handsfree bluetooth effective how about playing movies on 4.3" screen?
Forget about playing movies..the resolution of the screen are comparatively poor. Basically, these are Windows CE devices. The processor/memory available on the same are not enought to play movies properly. GPS functionality will be ok, however.

Both Satnav/MMI sells their maps/direction software alongwith the devices as well as maps/software alone for mobile+gps devices like iphone/nokia etc.

I have downloaded and used the MMI software on my iPhone ($79) and it worked brilliantly on the highways and major roads inside cities..however inside cities, you cannot rely on the guidance completely (with all these diversion etc happening on roads frequently).

In case you are tech savvy, will suggest do not rush into buying any of Satnav/MMI devices. Try to source a good Windows CE device with a touchscreen and min 640x480 resolutions (dealextreme.com or chinavasion.com or from US - should be avlbl under 200 USD)..and then purchase the map/software from MMI/Satnav which will cost <3K.

In case you are interested further, pm me.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:22   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Sanjay, please take a dealership in the south and give all of us with a 50% discount, we will promote it by word of mouth as a return favour !
Old 27th January 2010, 18:46   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Sanjay, please take a dealership in the south and give all of us with a 50% discount, we will promote it by word of mouth as a return favour !
Boss, one cannot buy/run/maintain a Fiesta by giving 50% discounts

But seriously, in case you guys have contacts in Singapore/Taiwan/USA (I don't), you can actually source a good PND device (7-inch screen 800x600 resolution with Windows CE 5.0/6.0 loaded, and gps/btooth built in)..it then becomes a kind of handheld where all kinds of freeware/shareware can be loaded alongwith the iGo/satnav/mmi etc). I saw one Satnav Vx device at a chroma store..utter rubbish quality with 480x240 resolution and only 32K colors.

Take a look at this DealExtreme: $177.00 7.0" Touchscreen 400MHz CPU Windows CE 5.0 GPS Navigator w/ Bluetooth Handsfree + 2GB Maps SD
Old 27th January 2010, 19:26   #1612
Senior - BHPian

GPS was a priority in mind when I took the delivery of Fiesta 6 months back. But I didnt want a cheaper looking, poor quality stuff in my car, so I postponed my plan till I have enough budget to think of a 15k to 20k brand. As the outstation driving is not frequent, I am still waiting but right now not finding a real need of it ! Thats the fact.

I use the google map on my desktop before planning a trip. Note down all the important places enroute and keep a log book with kms, landmarks, hotels etc. That goes as a guide in the car with updates written on it as we travel. It costs nothing, but serves the purpose very well. So, I might use the GPS money to get a decent leather cover for my seats when the time comes.

So there goes my GPS plan out of the window !!! I dont mind someone gifting me one though !!
Old 27th January 2010, 19:27   #1613
BHPian

Hi All,

Can anyone help me to find out that the car body cover which I have got from the dealer is an original FORD accessory? Will there be any FORD logo/print or hologram on it?
I tried to find out. But I found is that the fiesta is written as - "ford FIESTA" at the front window position. I also noticed that there is a manufacture sticker - the manufacturer is "Polco". The dealer person is behemently saying that it is an original one.

Even the FORD customer care is not able to help much, they are simply calling to call dealer instead.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th January 2010, 19:41   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think its present in all fiestas. I have crossed 3200 on the ODO and the road covered include city roads, small service roads, totally broken up narrow bylanes, highways, hairpins (nandihills) and totally mud roads. Not a single creak (touchwood) till today be it a very sharp U turn on a broken road or a 80 kmph turn on a highway !
You just havent heard the noise yet. Like I said, it's only at certain steering angles and probably depends on the size of the pothole as well. Ford has acknowledged the presence of this issue and they are working on fixing this with a new spring. I hear it once in a while only so it's not a major irritant for me. Anyway, I would rather live with a superb direct steering with an occasional sound rather than a dead steering with no sound.

sanjayc, fantastic write up! I lapped it all up.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:01   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone! Long time no see in this thread :-)

A few updates from my end:
1. There is some construction work going on in the adjacent building, and I happened to see white spots on the windshield and top and bonnet and boot and spoiler and doors (all surfaces). Ignored that, as white on white is never visible, unless viewed with a magnifying glass.
BUT, then the damn buggers in the adjacent building decided to highlight their building with a 'potty' coloured beige. And there, she stood with drops of this colour (that looks like excreta) all over my car. The drops are small, and far few in between, but they are there. All over. Even on the spoiler and even on the bonnet and some of it is also on the top. The spots are not possible to remove on washing/slight rubbing, hence the concern. Part 2 of the updates includes the solution for this.

2. BIGGEST UPDATE: Ford has been calling me regularly (every week) and asking for my feedback on the new 'spring.'
I voiced my opinion and told them I am 90% satisfied, but THE NOISE IS STILL THERE! (not loud, not annoying, but present nonetheless).
The 3rd or 4th call this week, and my car is now at Bhavna Ford (they do a free pick up and drop for me right now, since it's not a regular recall)
They have kept the car for a day, and wish to keep it for one more day tomorrow.
I got a call today from their Service Manager (the courteous and polite person, Mr. Jaived who has been attending to me from day 1) and he has told me that Ford, Chennai is personally following my case up to the last detail, and has sent AN ENTIRELY NEW STEERING RACK (column or rack, I don't know the difference, but my steering rack is being replaced) for my MH-01-AL-2926. This particular rack has been designed at the production plant level, and may be incorporated into all Fiestas soon. It has a recalibrated spring and some components have been changed/readjusted to eradicate the 'tud tud' noise from the rack when the steering is turned by a few degrees in either direction when in motion.
The rack is being replaced as we speak, and the car shall be delivered to my house tomorrow after the routine balancing and a demo drive by Mr. Jaived. As a courtesy gesture, Mr. Jaived has told me they are doing a 3M detailing and polishing job free for me (which involved removal of the aforesaid paint spots)
It's a win-win situation for me, and the only thing I stand to lose is the fuel it takes to go to and from the service centre at Kalina, back to my place in Walkeshwar (about 2 litres)

So, this is it. Let's see how this turns out.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:22   #1616
BHPian

frankbhai..kudos for getting the royal treatment from Ford..wondering what type of ***asm you are providing to them;-}

This chuna spray happened to my previous black Ikon also, when the parking roof was repainted..I thought once it dries, it can be dusted off but nope. Thankfully, it was only at few places and barely noticeable.

Mayukh, if the cover quality feels ok, chill out. You would'nt be using it anyway since it is a PITA to cover the body..waste of money actually. God forbid if the car is covered with dust, and then you put the cover on, at the time of removing, you will end up getting minor scratches. Ask frankmehta..if he would have used it, the chuna would not have spoiled his car.

Gilead, thanks..long time no see.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:37   #1617
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the wonderfull trip Sanjay

Could have started a separate thread for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Total Distance CHN-CCU residence-to-residence-1780 Kms one way.
Number of toll plazas - 25 in between - toll fees totals appx 800/- each way
Rs.800 just for the toll. Agree the roads are good, but still too much for a salaried tax payer!
Old 27th January 2010, 20:45   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk@mumbai View Post
@sanjayc: I found this video on Youtube , for paint touch up.
Thanks jk. Visited their website and called up their Delhi number. Got their Chennai contact too. Since the price for the the materials is <400, will try it out. Thanks again for pointing out.

Kishore, thanks. Yes will put a separate thread in travelogue section. Have been thinking of ownership thread, but this thread has become kind of Fiesta Bible, and hence pouring out whatever I can.

Yes, the toll fees are high and for a solo drive, the overall fuel cost is also high compared to air/train travel. Ended up spending some 30K on fuel/toll fees/hotel stay etc. For a family of 4/5 however it is fine. However, am not certain driving with family will take up more time and may be unsafe as well. Did this just for the sake of it. May not be doing in future such long solo drives, but upto 5-6 hrs drive in an around Chennai, I am game anytime.

Last edited by sanjayc : 27th January 2010 at 20:57.
Old 27th January 2010, 21:14   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
You just havent heard the noise yet.
I will switch off my music system and drive around this weekend to see if there is anything I dont realise yet ! Will post back with any comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Ford has been calling me regularly (every week) and asking for my feedback on the new 'spring.'.
Thats something I was not aware of. Glad to know they are attending to you very well. Atleast it would give us a better confidence level towards FORD as a brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
You would'nt be using it anyway since it is a PITA to cover the body..waste of money actually. God forbid if the car is covered with dust, and then you put the cover on, at the time of removing, you will end up getting minor scratches.
I have a dedicated parking at the basement, but the maids have a routine of sweeping the entire floor every day, which will eventually give a thicker layer of dust on the car. That makes it difficult to drive the car out at an urgency without spenting sometime to clean it up.

So, I spent 700 bucks and got a fiesta specified cover from bigbazar, which serves the purpose so well, saving my cleaning time. But I always make sure the cover is used when the car is clean. I clean it with the Jopasu duster after coming back to the parking each time (max 3 times a week), then put the cover.

Certain things to keep in mind: Fiesta has the radio antenna fixed on the centre front portion. Fold the cover from front to back before driving, spread the cover also from front to back after parking. This way you avoid the chance to damage the antenna. This body cover might not be practical in the rainy season, because its beyond the capacity of Jopasu to clean up a wet body, also the overall dust on the parking floor becomes very minimal in monsoon.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:15   #1620
BHPian

Fiesta Endurance Test - Further Observations

Forgot to mention that somewhere on the journey to CCU, I noticed some kind of instrument panel hanging down in between the rear wheel with thick cables on either side (just below the iron rack support - don't know how to put it better). This I was able to notice while answering nature's call down the highway, from where the bottom of the car was clearly visible. Became worried and tried taking a closer look but could not understand what was the thing. Fortunately, nothing untoward happened becos of that. Upon visiting the a.s.s at CCU, the service rep told me it is the speed sensor. Hauled the car over the ramp, and had it checked. The mechanic however told me it is the ABS controller. Don't know who to believe. The thing was dangling becos the screw which fitted it with the rack above has dissapeared, which was easily fixed once more. Looked closely for any scratches etc but none was found. Seems like the screw was not lost during the journey but the guys who did the underbody coating must have removed it so that the rack can be coated (no black coat was there on this thing) but forgot to fix later or maybe fixed it carelessly.

Some experiments I did during the drive:

1. Except for 1st gear, took upto 4K rpm at all other gear levels. Not sure about the 5th, since when I touched 160 for a few secs, was too concentrated on the road than to bother about rpm..however since 3K is touched at 100 in 5th, 3.5K @120 , guess it should have gone to 4K @160

2. Tested the brakes for bringing the vehicle to a complete/near complete stop at different speeds from 60-120. Since I have been driving the Ikon, I was treating the brakes till now with utmost care and have never stomped on it. Wanted to know the safest distance to maintain behind any front vehicle at various speeds and hence the experiment. Since I did not want to activate the ABS, I tried pushing the brakes hard (in a gradual manner not sudden) but not like stomp/stand on it. Happy to report that in all situations, the poise/control of the vehicle was maintained. Will take out the car towards Bangalore highway soon to test about more hard braking/ABS. OMR/ECR is too conjusted for such experimentation.

Well, now you know, why I did not feel bored..or rather, to keep boredom away, tried all these. Honestly speaking, I wanted to know the limits of my car, and so tried all such stuff. Now, can safely say, am more in control of the vehicle rather than the other way round.

Some close calls I experienced during the drive:

1. On one stretch, suddenly noticed a tractor coming in between the lane divider from my right, ahead of me. Noticed it pretty late since I was looking at the left rear view. The instinctive reaction was to swerve to the left while pressing the brakes, then swerve right and continue straight. It was all over in a split second @90-100 speed. Must thank the easy steering for the quick left/right turns. Pretty Close. No damage done.
(No, this was not the tractor I posted in the picture earlier)

This is the time when I realised hard braking is not always the right action in all close call situations..sometimes avoiding is the best option avlbl. Unfortunately, can't do such stunts when it comes to Chennai autos;-}

2. Another time, during night driving, was trying to overtake between 2 trucks, each on different lane with a sufficient gap in between. As soon as I turned left, with left blinkers on, instinctively my eyes turned to the left rear view mirror. The glare of the lights gave me a feeling that another car is right behind me (that is why I have put this as a gripe in my earlier post). Nothing else was visible in the mirror. Instant reflex was to slam the brakes, but then the truck behind me honked loudly, which prompted me to carry on, almost blind. There was no car behind but an illusion was created becos of the high glare on the ovrm. Lesson learnt : avoid such overtaking in between vehicle during night driving. Sometimes these trucks/coaches have 4 headlamps in the front arranged in a U or V-shape, though no lights will be there at the rear. The glare created by this is blinding.

3. Once while overtaking a Swift, which was not giving enough space to overtake from the right, decided anyway to scrape thru. Hit my left rear view mirror, with the Swift's right one. Mine neatly folded inwards...not sure what happened to the Swift's one..just sped as fast as I could. This was some 5 mins before I spotted the tractor turned turtle. That's when I decided to stop, unfold/inspect my mirror..no problems/scratches. Sturdiness of the mirror proved. Relieved at my good luck, took some time off to take snaps of the tractor's bad luck.

Other tid-bits

1. During the night halt at Chandikhole, when I parked the vehicle, it was covered with reddish dust. Instead of moondust silver it felt like moon-surface-dust only. On top of it, the entire night it was parked on open road opp the hotel I stayed. In the morning, it was fully covered with dew. By the time I reached CCU, this dew/dust combination combined with afternoon sun and wind speed, has basically baked the dust on the body. Only next day noon I took it to the CCU a.s.s. Post a shampoo/water wash, it retained the showroom glow. Paint quality/Paint Protection passed. Today it rained in Chennai (Kodambakkam area) slightly around 12 noon. Used the recently acquired Jopasu blue microfibre cloth to wipe off the water. Effortless. 5 stars to Jopasu product quality. Minus five, however on their delivery times etc, but that's another story.

2. Was taking a power nap on the roadside somewhere before Vizag. During such naps, I used to keep the ignition key on the 2nd state, just before cranking the engine. At this state since the odo lights come on, used to cover the same with a towel. This was done so that I can speed of in the shortest possible time at the slightest hint of any trouble. While I was just trying to go into a short nap, noticed 5 adults on 2 bikes (around 9pm on the clock) arrive and parked, one in front and one in the rear. Couple of guys started relieving themselves. Sensing trouble, I became alert, but not yet ready to speed off. Comes a guy and starts knocking on the driver side window. I started the engine, changed the gear, ready to speed off. Then rolled the window down..the guy spoke something in Telugu but I catched the word Dongala or Donga something. Now, I watch a lot of Tamil/Telugu movies on DVD (with english subtitles of course since I do not understand the languages as such)..hence I knew Dongala means thief/robber..its another matter that heroes of these movies, with a few exceptions..themselves resemble Dongalas (no offence meant, please)..turned out these guys were night time highway patrol guys and they were trying to convey it is not safe to stay there. Post that, I always took shelter in the COCO outlets..sometimes at the pretext of fuel/tyre pressure or food/tea.

3. Got a royal treatment at one of these COCOs while returning back..again some 60Kms to Vizag in the night. Stopped there for re-fueling but noticed a dhaba operated in the same as well. Further, there was drivers rest room, pan shop, general store, medicine shop and what not. The food was being prepared out in the open. I settle on a table/chair outside but the owner it seems, after noticing the car, took me inside, where there was a cabin meant for families. Ok I thought. Somehow managed to convey that I wanted 4 chapatis and dal fry. Turned out it was the best thin/fluffy rotis I have ever eaten..otherwise in the south, you will be lucky to come across good rotis/phulkas-north indian style-even at good hotel chains like Saravanas etc. All for 35/- bucks. Piping hot. Best thing you can have on a long highway drive. Hygiene be damned. Emptied 1 full litre of water I was carrying. Topped it up with a paan and then 2 back-2-back cigs. Heavenly. Rounded up with almost an hour of sleep there inside the car.

Apologies for the long post.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks