Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 11:20   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,

The DTE in my Fiesta is driving me nuts. The fluctutation in the readings have become so erratic that it is getting difficult to get a correct picture of value. The DTE in the morning drops so drastically it gives me a scare since I refuelled a couple of days back. Stop at a signal and can see the DTE value rise again to respectable limits with the engine running.
To cross check even the analog meter shows some erratic behaviour and follows the DTE. Any new owners notice this pain.
+
As I reported last, I was driving my car 1500kms in last 2 days and I have noticed that DTE comes down to 80, immediately the fuel warnig light also comes up which means the DTE reading is correct in my car.
Suggest you ask the service people to check and adjust DTE and it should work close to near reading. But I think during short driving/frequent on/off of the engine etc the DTE reading may not be accurate?
Old 27th January 2010, 13:14   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
As I reported last, I was driving my car 1500kms in last 2 days and I have noticed that DTE comes down to 80, immediately the fuel warnig light also comes up which means the DTE reading is correct in my car.
Suggest you ask the service people to check and adjust DTE and it should work close to near reading. But I think during short driving/frequent on/off of the engine etc the DTE reading may not be accurate?
Nairji, this may not be the correct assumption. By all probability, the fuel warning is linked to the DTE reading and hence it will come up whenever the DTE shows 80. It may also happen that after the DTE shows 80, without refuelling, it may climb to 90 (based on driving style) and then the fuel warning lamp will go off.

The only correct way to estimate the remaining fuel quantity is to see the fuel indicator needle. Probably, the Driver information system should digitally show the quantity of fuel remaining (which will be always accurate) rather than remaining distance (which will always vary).
Old 27th January 2010, 13:24   #1593
Senior - BHPian

@sanjay

I agree.
I always follow the low fuel warning lamp and then refuel the car.
What I was trying to explain was that in my case both happens at a time i.e
the fuel warning lamp flashes and that time the DTE too shows as 80.

In one occassion, I drove until the DTE figure comes to 25 and then fill up the petrol upto the full tank. It was 41.9 litre petrol filled up which means at DTE reading 25, the car had about 3.1litre of petrol (presuming tank capacity 45litres) which means still I could have driven around 30/35kms??
Old 27th January 2010, 13:47   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Actually, the defogging requires the outside temperature to be same as the inside temperature. So setting to Maximum hot position, as an absolute method is INCORRECT.
If it is very cold outside, the defogging would be most effective by keeping the temperature position to lowest (minimum)
Actually, both are correct. If the mist/fog has already taken place, to quickly get rid of the same, what Nariji mentions/Ford suggest has to be done (this way the moisture evaporates). Once the fog dissapears, to keep the windscreen fog free, the temperature inside has to be controlled to match the outside.

Then again, it depends on the speed of travel and the weather/humidity conditions. In places like chennai in the south, with high humidity, fog can only form outside the glass, if the a/c is too chill inside, since outside temp will always be higher. In such case the high temp setting will quickly do the job.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:17   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968chensaro View Post
This is a real shocker for me. Is it present in all Fietas? Then why nobody is crying?
I dont think its present in all fiestas. I have crossed 3200 on the ODO and the road covered include city roads, small service roads, totally broken up narrow bylanes, highways, hairpins (nandihills) and totally mud roads. Not a single creak (touchwood) till today be it a very sharp U turn on a broken road or a 80 kmph turn on a highway !

Last weekend I was shocked to hear some creaking noise from the doors, fortunately I realised the particular song playing at that time had such instrumentation, it stopped when that song got over. So that was a recorded creaking from the music !

Quote:
I realize that little wobbling(vibrating) of the steering wheel when the speed goes beyond 125kmph - I dont know if this is common on Fieasta's?
Yes I felt the same vibration feeling (not wobbling for sure) when I crossed 140 kmph on a highway ! But its not an irritation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
It may also happen that after the DTE shows 80, without refuelling, it may climb to 90 (based on driving style) and then the fuel warning lamp will go off.
I purposely wait till the DTE shows below 60 for the next full tank or filling. Never ever saw the warning lamp going off until the next fill. So, once the lamp comes ON, I dont think it will go off just like that.

Quote:
It was 41.9 litre petrol filled up which means at DTE reading 25, the car had about 3.1litre of petrol (presuming tank capacity 45litres) which means still I could have driven around 30/35kms??
Not necessary the car has to run till the last drop in the tank is consumed, thats a tricky situation too. Certain cars have a cut off system when the tank has lower than 3 ltrs, I dont know whats the funda behind that, but I have heard from someone about that. So, the warning lamp at 80 is the right time to calculate the nearest filling station without much delay. Its not easy to find a station in a 30kms distance at certain highways/state roads (even if you find one, it need not have the stock to your bad luck). Do all the experiments in your home town, atleast you can walk and reach your familiar filling station, but not on a highway.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:25   #1596
Senior - BHPian

is anyone of using any GPS system for their car, and how far they are useful,
i came across products of satnav and mapmyindia, which offers video play, bluetooth connectivity and 4.3 to 4.7 inch display.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:26   #1597
Senior - BHPian

As I said, I was driving to chennai two days back and returned yesterday.
I left home early morning (6 AM), and it was chilly outside. When I started the car, I didnt switched on the A/c. but in couple of kms drive, the mist started forming all over the glass and then I switched on the A/C (no.1 position) and in few seconds, the mist cleared out from the glasses. Here the mist gets cleared out when I put on the a/c and the temperature inside the cabin became same as of at outside, so got a clear veiw.

But in some case you need to do the other way, as recommended by Ford (as well as other car manufacturers). So you will find how to settle this issue as per the condition prevails at that point of time?
Old 27th January 2010, 14:45   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Although there are many threads mentioning the 'windscreen fogging' and the 'AC settings' in detail, I just want to clear some confusion here. I dont really agree with the fact that inside temperature has to be in line with the outside temperature. In a place like Ooty or Shimla, do you use the cooling or the heating in a car ? So is it not totally different sides of the temperature ? What about the middle east heat ? It goes above 50 degree in the peak months and many people even die of heat strokes. So thats another extreme situation, do you set the thermostat in line with the outside heat ?

Personal experience: There is never a fogging when the AC is working in a comfortable temperature (22 to 24) inside the car. Bangalore has 13 to 17 degrees in December and goes above 35 in the summer. But my fiesta AC is ON throughout the year regardless of the temperature outside. Never seen fogging.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:54   #1599
Senior - BHPian

In my recent long drive to Chennai and back, (since roads from mysore-bangalore and again to chennai are of in good condition) my car was always flying at 100+ kmph and occassionaly upto 150kmph. The mileage I got this time is only 13.5kmpl (70% A/c- I switch off the a/c for some time when the cabin is fully cooled).

However in my last drive to Guruvayur, I maintained a speed of 80/90 and sometime
touched 100 (fearing that the cops may appear anytime with a speedgun). In that drive I got a FE of about 15kmpl. So it means that high speed drinks more fuel than normal speed??
Old 27th January 2010, 15:03   #1600
Senior - BHPian

I did a 250 km drive yesterday, took my fiesta to 140 kmph, it was a great experince.
Old 27th January 2010, 15:06   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it means that high speed drinks more fuel than normal speed??
@nairrk, I can vouch for it. I drive @ 60-65 kmph on highways and regularly have got 15 kmpl for my Fiesta. I expect that to increase after first service hopefully. I also make it a point to rev the engine till 3000 rpm atleast once a week, mostly Fridays when I have to rush home and if I get a clear stretch.
Old 27th January 2010, 15:19   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
is anyone of using any GPS system for their car, and how far they are useful,
i came across products of satnav and mapmyindia, which offers video play, bluetooth connectivity and 4.3 to 4.7 inch display.
+
I recently bought Mapmyindia GPS VX140 (4.3" touchscreen) and
is quite good.

Suggest you refer the thread 'Gadgets,computers @ software'' with
sub thread ' satguide vs mapmyindia' wherein you can get many information about this navigator.
Also refer the thread ' Gps reciever in a car' -more informations on GPS
Old 27th January 2010, 15:32   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Total Distance CHN-CCU residence-to-residence-1780 Kms one way.
Number of toll plazas - 25 in between - toll fees totals appx 800/- each way
FE - appx 14/15 on different highways/sections and 11/12 on city/Orissa. Over FE around 12.9 for entire end-to-end trip.

Day 1 16-Jan 7am -11 pm Chennai Home to Vizag Hotel
Distance covered 895Kms in 16 Hrs, with a total break time in between of appx 5 hrs
Overall Avg Speed appx 81 Kms/hr.

Day 2 24-Jan, 9:30am - 10:30pm, Vizag to CHN home
Distance Covered 900 Kms in 13 hrs, with 2 hrs break in between.
Overall Avg Speed appx 80 Kms/hr.

- During eve/night driving, was easily able to maintain min 80, and sometime upto 120. Headlamps are all stock and factory fitted. Most of the night driving done with dipper on (I hope this is the correct term..the position where the blue headlamp icon is on). I found the visibility ok with the existing headlamp throw. Though every now & then, I did use the wiper to clean the glass.

Gripes

- On the ORVMs, light glare is very distracting & confusing. It should have something like the inside rear view mirror night adjustment. During night driving, it is difficult to ascertain, if the reflection of headlight in the ORVMS are from vehicle directly behind or on the side, since apart from the glare, nothing else is visible at all.

Conclusion
I am thrilled that I could do this, almost back2back. Get this..
- I have a back/neck pain problem,
- I had a swollen right ankle 2 days back before start, still feel the pain
when rubbed,
Hats Off to you Sanjay!

Avg Speeds of 80kmph show how consistent you were. To maitain 80kmph average over an hour, you would have been above 100kmph almost always. Good show.

When the Blue Headlamp symbol is on, it means you are driving in bright. When you dip/dim your headlights, the blue headlamp symbol goes off.

I can relate to your gripe on the ORVM glare issue at nights. That is one major major irritant. With people tailing you with their bright on, it becomes seriously difficult to concentrate on the road.

Quote:
One thing that you fight during a long solo drive is with sleep. This is the most dangerous part and thanks to Unni's advice, at the slightest hint of feeling sleepy, just stopped at a safe place. I have this habit of taking short 10-15 min naps, and feel fresh for the next few hrs (thanks to my work culture from 1992-2009).
Good to know that the tip came in handy. I too take power-naps when I feel really sleepy and the wash-face, walk around ritual doesn't help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have shoulder pain once a while (right hand being on the mouse for longer hours!!), I was so fresh to sit and watch a movie after reaching.
Just what the doctor ordered. Fiesta has magical curing powers too!!!

Quote:
but only I realize that little wobbling(vibrating) of the steering wheel when the speed goes beyond 125kmph - I dont know if this is common on Fieasta's?
Wheel balancing should sort this issue out.
Old 27th January 2010, 15:38   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@nairrk, I can vouch for it. I drive @ 60-65 kmph on highways and regularly have got 15 kmpl for my Fiesta. I expect that to increase after first service hopefully. I also make it a point to rev the engine till 3000 rpm atleast once a week, mostly Fridays when I have to rush home and if I get a clear stretch.
Quote:
In my recent long drive to Chennai and back, (since roads from mysore-bangalore and again to chennai are of in good condition) my car was always flying at 100+ kmph and occassionaly upto 150kmph. The mileage I got this time is only 13.5kmpl (70% A/c- I switch off the a/c for some time when the cabin is fully cooled).

However in my last drive to Guruvayur, I maintained a speed of 80/90 and sometime
touched 100 (fearing that the cops may appear anytime with a speedgun). In that drive I got a FE of about 15kmpl. So it means that high speed drinks more fuel than normal speed??
Between 80-100 is the ideal speed I found for acceptable FE of 12/13 as well as safety/driveability/comfort etc. Anything above that is pushing luck too far on Indian road conditions.

The recent ads by PCRA about saving 20% on fuel when you drive at 45-50K - what you guys have to say on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Although there are many threads mentioning the 'windscreen fogging' and the 'AC settings' in detail, I just want to clear some confusion here. I dont really agree with the fact that inside temperature has to be in line with the outside temperature. In a place like Ooty or Shimla, do you use the cooling or the heating in a car ? So is it not totally different sides of the temperature ? What about the middle east heat ? It goes above 50 degree in the peak months and many people even die of heat strokes. So thats another extreme situation, do you set the thermostat in line with the outside heat ?

Personal experience: There is never a fogging when the AC is working in a comfortable temperature (22 to 24) inside the car. Bangalore has 13 to 17 degrees in December and goes above 35 in the summer. But my fiesta AC is ON throughout the year regardless of the temperature outside. Never seen fogging.
This is a controversial topic and lot of factors are at play here like moisture content, driving/air current speed, cleanliness of the glass, water buildup in the HVAC system, blockages in various vents.

Fogging can happen from inside as well as outside.

Following are the problem areas

1. Ensure to keep the glass inside/outside free from smoke/grease/oil/duct etc, otherwise the dehumidication effect will not function properly. While we can easily clean the glass from outside, inside is a real pain, and most of the time this becomes the culprit.

2. If the fogging is persistent, then it might be an issue with water getting trapped in the HVAC system, which is getting released.

3. Sometimes if more people are sitting inside, it might be useful to let outside air in. Fresh air may contain less moisture than the amount of moisture being generated by the breathing inside.

4. In extreme conditions, the temp in the cabin should be gradually brought down rather than starting with the lowest a/c position. This results in quick chilling effect on the glass areas where the airflow is direct (mostly bottom of the windscreen) and then it start fogging from the bottom up. If a gradual lowering of temp is done, the glass gets enough time to cool uniformly.

The bottomline is this..fog will form when moisture content is high..one needs to control the moisture content (by dehumidification) as well as ensure that water cannot settle on surface (by keeping it clean). There are various techniques and no single solution for this.

Read it somewhere..take a white wax crayon or a candle and draw a line on the glass..then rub it with a clean cloth to spread the line uniformly over the entire glass so that it becomes invisible..this way a thin wax layer forms which will keep the moisture from condensing. Have never tried it though.
Old 27th January 2010, 15:48   #1605
Senior - BHPian

If breathing causes the situation, holding the breath until the fog disappears also helps !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks