Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 19:00   #1576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Sanjayjc> Excellent post. Very interesting to read. Firsta sure sounds like a great car. I have seen it on the hhighways and loved it's understated elegance. may be off topic, but kindly sleep well before you drive. No point in playing with fire
Thanks RR. Agree to your point. I know sleeping well & taking adequate rest is a must.

One thing that you fight during a long solo drive is with sleep. This is the most dangerous part and thanks to Unni's advice, at the slightest hint of feeling sleepy, just stopped at a safe place. I have this habit of taking short 10-15 min naps, and feel fresh for the next few hrs (thanks to my work culture from 1992-2009). Also, was splashing my face with water (carried a 5L bottle of regular tap water, which remained cold throughout, thanks to the chilly weather in most parts).

During the trip, whenever I tanked up on the highway, selected a COCO outlet and took a 15-20 mins nap. Was thus able to manage somehow.
Old 26th January 2010, 19:23   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
I work from home....if I can drive for 16 hrs/900 kms at a stretch, then anybody can. Period..
Sanjay, it was a pleasure to read the posts about your trip. We have some similarities here, I too work from home, I have different power for the right and left eye, I have shoulder pain once a while (right hand being on the mouse for longer hours!!), I had never driven a long trip until my kerala drive in November (600kms one way in 15 hours including a 15 mts break fast, 45 mts lunch and 10 mts tea breaks).

So, I can repeat your words with confidence here, 'If I can drive for 15 hours at a stretch, then anybody can, BUT in a Fiesta ! I did the same distance in 2007 with a wagonR (but only 20% driving and 80% being co-passenger) and in 2008 with a Skoda (100% co-passenger). Both ocassions I was terribly tired and sick, taken atleast 4 days to regain the energy to travel back both times. But the november fiesta drive (100% driving up & down) was a pleasure. I was so fresh to sit and watch a movie after reaching.

I see your rear seat head rests are lifted in the last photo. You were driving solo right ? How come you didnt lower them to get the best rear-view ? I always keep it at the lowest unless I have a 6 ft passenger at the back.
Old 26th January 2010, 19:40   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I see your rear seat head rests are lifted in the last photo. You were driving solo right ? How come you didnt lower them to get the best rear-view ? I always keep it at the lowest unless I have a 6 ft passenger at the back.
Yes..I had done a terrible miscalculation about the sunfilm I got installed. No issues with the quality as such but selection of 50% visibility sunfilm, it feels like sitting naked inside. So, I tried my best to hide the inner view inside the car (left one to hide the camcorder fixed in the front headrest and on the right one I had fixed this plastic car holder stuff with lots of pockets..normally this is designed to hang backside of driver seat..to fasten the velcro, I had to raise the headrest). I hung my jacket on the right side rear window..have purchased some black sun screens (the cheapo vaccum ones which you stick to the window from inside). Anyway, the way I keep my inside rear view mirror, the rear headrest does not obstruct my view. Remember that I used to take short naps during the drive, hence whatever could be done to restrict the view inside, I tried. Plus, it gave a feeling that more people may be inside..so some fake safety here;-}

Have spoken with the guy who installed the sunfilm. Tried to find out bubbles/problems with the same so that I can ask him to remove and replace it with another darker shade. But apart from some small pin-head size bubbles here and there, no issues. The guy had suggested to install another film over the existing one with the same shade, which will result in darker shade overall + better heat protection at a 50% discount over the original pricing.

Has anyone heard/done double sunfilm installation? Can it be fixed properly? On the other hand, what if the current one is removed and new one installed? Will the removal of the existing one leave marks on the glass? Am really in a fix over this! Should I install a sliding fabric curtain (like those you see in some Amby's and even some M/SUVs).

Currently I am making do with stick on types.

Last edited by sanjayc : 26th January 2010 at 19:43.
Old 26th January 2010, 19:55   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plus, it gave a feeling that more people may be inside..so some fake safety here...Has anyone heard/done double sunfilm installation? Can it be fixed properly? On the other hand, what if the current one is removed and new one installed? Will the removal of the existing one leave marks on the glass?.
I thought of the same thing (fake safety) when I saw the photo, but didnt want to ask it openly! But you hardly drove in the night, so that is alrite. Double sunfilm installation is not a good idea. Remove the present one and install a darker one. Installers will clean up the glass very well, it doesnt affect anything. I remember removing the total sunfilms myself from my first car for a better quality installation. Its not a tough work provided you have the correct tools. Lift up the corners, it usually comes out in 2 or 3 pieces.
Old 26th January 2010, 19:59   #1580
BHPian

Okay..another precaution/advice here, particularly when driving on highways at high gear levels.

Had read somewhere (or was it at the Chennai Ford meet) that the gear box has a safety feature wherein from 5th gear, you cannot slot into the reverse gear. While overtaking between 2 vehicles (particularly between 2 trucks, one in each lane with a small gap in between them), I would mostly approach them in 5th because that is the level on which I am driving at that point...to start the overtake procedure, you need better pickup/acceleration, so will downshift to 4th, manoveure into the gap, accelerate till a safe distance then upshift and continue. This downshift manoveure from 5th to 4th must be done in a continuous, smooth manner, and becos of the safety mechanism, it will automatically slot into the 4th. In case during the downshift, the stick is halted/paused at the neutral and then trying to slot into 4th, the danger of slotting into 2nd/reverse opens up. While it cannot be slotted into the reverse, but a hard,grinding noise will be felt, plus, the time wasted, will make you toast during the overtaking. Same with 2nd..the rpm will hit the roof and engine will go for a toss.

Once I did slot into the 2nd..but fortunately from 3rd and not 5th..thus the rpm was not high..and 3 times escaped slotting into the reverse.

Experts, your comments on this..is it just me or you guys have come across this issue sometimes?
Old 26th January 2010, 20:46   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone heard/done double sunfilm installation? Can it be fixed properly?
I had this done on my Indica - I had a pretty light shade - (IIRC 65% visibility) After my wife started using this car, she requested darker film and the dealer suggested putting the same grade film on top of the existing one - worked quite well except for locking in the scratches that were already there on the older film.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:05   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Double sunfilm installation is not a good idea. Remove the present one and install a darker one.
Quote:
I had this done on my Indica - I had a pretty light shade - (IIRC 65% visibility) After my wife started using this car, she requested darker film and the dealer suggested putting the same grade film on top of the existing one - worked quite well except for locking in the scratches that were already there on the older film.
There you go..tBHP = more confusion. Back2back post with different opinions

Since my installation is pretty new with no scratches, that should not be an issue.

Any ideas about covering up the scratches on the C-pillar? Not keen on a repair job right away. Any kind of band-aid job will do! Like pasting some silver-colored small circular stickers with a deity picture! A Tatto-sticker maybe! Guess this forum should start selling body-colored stickers in all shapes/sizes in addition to the normal TBHP stickersBuilt-to-order maybe! Where can I visit such sticker/graphic shop in Chennai? Please help.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:18   #1583
Senior - BHPian

Sanjay, I didnt mean to confuse you by any chance. You think about the practicality part of doing a double installation. Its afterall a thin layer of plastic on your glass. A single layer itself attracts scratches and bubbles. Now you are increasing the thickness of the layer by adding one on top of another. So its easily prone to scratches. And you are installing a sunfilm on a plastic layer instead of the solid glass in the first place. Just my opinion. May be you should try and comment for a 'real-life' experience !
Old 26th January 2010, 22:47   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Sanjay, I didnt mean to confuse you by any chance.
Hey dude..c'mon, no need to be apologetic at all..I posted that in jest. After all, you are supposed to be the jest master over here

I do understand the (im)practicality of it all, but since the suggestion came from the devil himself (read, the installer/Opulent), was in doubt. At the same time, am afraid, if they use some metallic tool to remove the existing one, will it end up in some scratches accidentally.

Anyways, since the installer has offered to send a guy at home to do the job, will try to first understand both techniques (have never seen the sunfilm installation process) and then take an informed decision.

What about the curtain option? Kinda best of both worlds! Cover during daytime and remove during night for better visibility;-} Safe Approach?
Old 26th January 2010, 23:30   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@sanjay

This is what ford recommends how to Defog the windsheild

=set control knob to windshield position
=select fresh air mode
=set the knob in maximum hot position for quick defogging
=set the knob in max blower speed
=switch on the A/C (to dehumidify the air)
Actually, the defogging requires the outside temperature to be same as the inside temperature. So setting to Maximum hot position, as an absolute method is INCORRECT.
If it is very cold outside, the defogging would be most effective by keeping the temperature position to lowest (minimum)
Old 27th January 2010, 09:03   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
This 'Kadak' sound from the steering column when it hits potholes at certain angles is a 'feature' and it is present in all Fiestas that I know of including mine. It is a sore point in an otherwise perfect car.

Changing the steering column is not the solution for this. Ford has developed a prototype steering column spring which they say takes care of this problem. It has been tested on frankmehta's car but he says the noise never went away completely. You may want to check with your service center about this spring, but I don't think Ford has put it into production. The service centres here clueless about it. So as of now, we have to live with that sound.
Thanks for the reply Gilead. This is a real shocker for me. Is it present in all Fietas? Then why nobody is crying? We should all make a big noise with Ford and get it solved. They cannot get away with this kind of major error. What is your opinion?
Old 27th January 2010, 09:10   #1587

Quote:
Any ideas about covering up the scratches on the C-pillar? help.
@sanjayc: I found this video on youtube , for paint touch up.
Old 27th January 2010, 09:13   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

The DTE in my Fiesta is driving me nuts. The fluctutation in the readings have become so erratic that it is getting difficult to get a correct picture of value. The DTE in the morning drops so drastically it gives me a scare since I refuelled a couple of days back. Stop at a signal and can see the DTE value rise again to respectable limits with the engine running.
To cross check even the analog meter shows some erratic behaviour and follows the DTE. Any new owners notice this pain.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:13   #1589
BHPian

Hi ghodlur if your daily run is very short the DTE goes completely bonkers dropping or rising by almost 50kms,even I face this problem nothing to worry about just enjoy the drive .
Old 27th January 2010, 10:35   #1590
Senior - BHPian

@sanjay

Good write up
I too just came back last night after driving 1500kms (Payynur -mysore-bangalore-chennai and back). I started the journey on 24th Jan 6 am and came back home last night around 9pm. However I was not alone like you-I took one of my cousin alongwith me for support/backup.
I did not have any problem on the car as such sound on steering column (even on haripin turnings ) etc but only I realize that little wobbling(vibrating) of the steering wheel when the speed goes beyond 125kmph - I dont know if this is common on Fieasta's?
Otherwise a fantastic experience ( i have already done couple of long drives)throughout!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks