Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 13:18   #1561

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@varunps - Is your car 1.4 ZXi Tdci?

Please confirm
Yes Nair, Mine is 1.4 ZXI TDCI Dec 2006 model!
Thanks for adding my name :-)
Old 25th January 2010, 13:26   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I completely agree with @ruchirtnt with the fact that Fiesta does have a fantastic turning radius...........He is just two and a half and easily identifies Ford Fiesta whenever he sees one........I am being selfish in not recommending Fiesta to anyone in my bldg complex or relatives since I want my Fiesta to be unique and adored one.
Its true, fiesta has a wonderful and confidence inspiring turning radius. Its a pleasure to park and even turnaround in a tight parking area.

I too have a 3.6 yr old son who is a die-hard Ford fan already. He finds the blue oval (Ford emblom) not only on the road but also in magazines, TV, newspapers etc. He spots Fiesta of any colour anywhere on the road, be it in a traffic signal or in a congested bylane screaming "same car, same car" !

I thought of the same selfish mentality to be exclusive, but there are already 8 fiestas in my compound, few before me and few after me.

For the first time, I experienced the effect of fiesta AC day before. I had to park in the open, scorching sun for over 5 hours (innovative film city). When we returned, it was like a burning furnace, the idol fixed with a double side gumtape had melted and moved to a corner ! But it was just a 2 mts waiting to get the temperature comfortable enough.
Old 25th January 2010, 15:35   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

I thought of the same selfish mentality to be exclusive, but there are already 8 fiestas in my compound, few before me and few after me.
+
Suggest you change your house/building, where there wont be any fiesta
in the compound - LoL
Old 25th January 2010, 16:09   #1564
BHPian

Noise from Steering column

Friends,

My vehicle details:
Model: Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Limited Edition
Purchase: Oct 2009
KM run:~ 4000 km

Problem facing:
While running on a rough road with small ups and downs, if we turn the steering to right or left, I hear a "kadak, Kadak" noise from the steering wheel. This noise comes only when the steering wheel is truned right or left. On the same stretch of road, if we drive in straight line there is no noise.

I actually noticed this problem when I took my car to Yercaud (small hill station near Salem Tamil Nadu). There are around 20 hairpin bends on the ghat road. In almost all the hairpin bends, the road was having little rough patches. When turning in these bends, I first heard the noise. After coming back, I checked for this nosie in the normal roads with little rough patches. Whenever the wheel hits small ups and downs on the road there is this noise (only when the steering is turned left or right). This noise is heard when the steering is rotated even for 30 deg or more.

I took the car to my only service Center "Rajshree Ford, Coimbatore" and they told that there is a problem in steering column and it needs to be changed. During first service, they changed the column (they told that rake is ok(?) but I don't know what they are talking) and told that the problem is solved. But when I took my vehicle back from service center, I found the same noise on similar kind of situations. I immediately told them over phone and they have promised to look into the issue after the holidays (republic day).

Friends, what could be the real reason for this noise? Can anybody help me? I am planning to take the car to service station on either Wednesday or Thursday. I would love to hear from you before that.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:30   #1565
BHPian

Hi friends,
I think this is the correct place to get the information about my on going purchase of used Ford fiesta 1.4 TDCI zxi 2006 model which completes 43K ODO. I'm getting this around 3.7 lacs. But the problem is, rust is worsely affected the driver's side door.(Please see attached pic). It drills to the inner part uptp the rubber beadings. Kindly let me know, if this expensive to repair or do i need to change the door and all. Please let me know if this is good buy (though this is not place to ask). Kindly help me to choose this.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ford_fiesta.bmp (663.5 KB, 394 views)
Old 25th January 2010, 17:38   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi friends,
I think this is the correct place to get the information about my on going purchase of used Ford fiesta 1.4 TDCI zxi 2006 model which completes 43K ODO. I'm getting this around 3.7 lacs. But the problem is, rust is worsely affected the driver's side door.(Please see attached pic). It drills to the inner part uptp the rubber beadings. Kindly let me know, if this expensive to repair or do i need to change the door and all. Please let me know if this is good buy (though this is not place to ask). Kindly help me to choose this.
Signs of overall bad maintenance of the car. Other bad surprises might be hiding. Please stay away.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:58   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi friends,
+
from the photographs, it looks the is rust condition is bad (consdiring just 3 or 4 year old fiesta ?) hence suggest please check with some workshop to ascertain the serousness of the damage/rust?
Old 25th January 2010, 18:03   #1568
Senior - BHPian

One quick doubt to everyone who posted clutch related issues on their Fiesta. Are they all diesel cars ?

I have around 6 fiestas in my society, 4 of them are above 3 years. After checking with some of them, none of them have faced nor heard of any clutch related issues so far. By the way, only 1 diesel in the 6. All are happy with the overall usage, service and maintenance. Some of them are happy that the cost of parts have been brought down by Ford, although never needed any purchase.

Last edited by shajufx : 25th January 2010 at 18:05.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:27   #1569
BHPian

Hi friends,

Thanks a ton for your valuable suggestions. Owner is my friend's close relative and interiors are really well-maintained. She(owner) quotes it for 3.4lacs (we expected that 3.7lacs) today. Apart from that door part we found nothing is bad . Even the engine compartment is pretty much clean(we weren't told them as we are coming to check the car). Is it good buy for this price? or still i reject the offer? Kindly let me know
Old 25th January 2010, 19:41   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Jebs, its not the interior or the exterior that matters much on the real bargain, but the engine and hidden parts. If you can go through the service history, do that and see if there is anything missing from your casual observation of the car. Also check with the ford body shop to calculate the expense that will arise from the doors and other external parts.

Looking at the pic, I find plenty of scratches and dents apart from the rusted areas. So, it could be classified as "POOR" condition. Bargain with the owner only after calculating your cost of getting it back to shape, not before. Always remember, diesel parts are expensive and can pop up unexpected issues from a badly maintained car. Just be careful !
Old 25th January 2010, 22:48   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968chensaro View Post
Friends,

My vehicle details:
Model: Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Limited Edition
Purchase: Oct 2009
KM run:~ 4000 km

Problem facing:
While running on a rough road with small ups and downs, if we turn the steering to right or left, I hear a "kadak, Kadak" noise from the steering wheel. This noise comes only when the steering wheel is truned right or left. On the same stretch of road, if we drive in straight line there is no noise.
This 'Kadak' sound from the steering column when it hits potholes at certain angles is a 'feature' and it is present in all Fiestas that I know of including mine. It is a sore point in an otherwise perfect car.

Changing the steering column is not the solution for this. Ford has developed a prototype steering column spring which they say takes care of this problem. It has been tested on frankmehta's car but he says the noise never went away completely. You may want to check with your service center about this spring, but I don't think Ford has put it into production. The service centres here clueless about it. So as of now, we have to live with that sound.
Old 26th January 2010, 07:52   #1572
BHPian

1968chensaro@
I had this noise coming from the steering column whenever turned to extreme left or right..the sound was more like some parts under the column is being rubbed against each other. Same issue I felt when depressing the clutch in 1st/2nd gear. However, both these issues have gradually dissapeared and do not face this noises coming anymore. Both these noises were more like a feeling than a noise which can be heard.

Jebs@
Looking at the rust, I think the entire door panel has to be changed. I don't see how only the rust can be removed. If the car is under extended warranty, it might be done under warranty (I had my Ikon door changed under warranty when some rust started appearing).

Considering the amount that you will pay, and also, taking into account, that the vehicle cannot be covered under warranty any further, did you give a thought about a new vehicle, say an Ikon? I guess you would end up shelling out appx 4 lacs for this car+repairs+insurance renewal+tyre change etc etc. With another 1 lac, you will have plenty of options for a new car across brands plus some higher segment used cars as well.
Old 26th January 2010, 16:45   #1573
BHPian

Fiesta Endurance Test CHN/Chennai/Madras to CCU/Kolkata/Calcutta & back-3600 Kms

For the benefit of latecomers to this thread, I have been driving an Ikon 1.3 Nxt Petrol (Finesse edition),Panther Black, from 2003 onwards (now sold). Got the Fiesta 1.6 SXi Petrol, Moondust Silver, on 18/Dec/09 from Chennai Ford. OTR 7.54L.

I have'nt driven any other car myself.

Below is a summary of the trip, more from the Fiesta vehicle perspective. Will post the detailed travelogue sometime in the appropriate section.

Total Distance CHN-CCU residence-to-residence-1780 Kms one way.
Number of toll plazas - 25 in between - toll fees totals appx 800/- each way
FE - appx 14/15 on different highways/sections and 11/12 on city/Orissa. Over FE around 12.9 for entire end-to-end trip.

Day 1 16-Jan 7am -11 pm Chennai Home to Vizag Hotel
Distance covered 895Kms in 16 Hrs, with a total break time in between of appx 5 hrs
Overall Avg Speed appx 81 Kms/hr.

Day 2 17-Jan, 9am - 6pm, Vizag to Chandikhol, Orissa (some 60 kms past Bhubanewshar)
Distance Covered 490 Kms in 9 hrs, with 2 hrs break in between.
Overall Avg Speed appx 70 Kms/hr.

Day 3 18-Jan 7am-2pm, Chandikhol to CCU home.
Distance Covered 395 Kms in 7 hrs, with 1 hr break in between.
Overall Avg Speed appx 65 Kms/hr.

Return Journey
Day 1 23-Jan 5:30am -10:30 pm CCU Home to Vizag Hotel
Distance covered 880Kms in 17 Hrs, with a total break time in between of appx 5 hrs, incl 1 hr long break for dinner/rest at a COCO outlet some 60 kms before Vizag.
Overall Avg Speed appx 73+ Kms/hr.

Day 2 24-Jan, 9:30am - 10:30pm, Vizag to CHN home
Distance Covered 900 Kms in 13 hrs, with 2 hrs break in between.
Overall Avg Speed appx 80 Kms/hr.

Note: break times includes wait times at various toll booths/pumps/short rest/answering nature calls etc.

Fiesta Experience
- Longest drive with only 15 min break for around 5 hrs between Chandikhol to CCU
- Top Speed attained : 160Kms in a long, straight stretch somewhere in Orissa for appx 10 secs
- Touched 140 frequently for 10-15 secs at various points
- Rest of NH5 good stretches maintained 100 consistently, going to 120 frequently for short durations during overtaking or clear stretches
- On State highways (NH6/NH60 etc) where the roads are good but not smooth, maintained 80-90
- Best stretch - between Vizag to Srikakulam - appx 200 kms - bliss to drive. The NH5 quality as well as maintenance coupled with natural beauty. Though this stretch is not straight enough to attain top speeds, with frequent curves, but 110-120 is easily attainable and maintainable for long durations.

- Worst stretch - Just after Srikulam ends and Ichhapuram starts for about 60 kms and then again in Bhadrak/Balasore another 50-60 kms. Apart from that, in Orissa, need to travel thru quite a few village/towns/bazars, reducing the overall speed. 80% of the stretch is almost diversions, practically 2 lane highway.

- In Orissa, wherever NH5 is completed and the roads are smooth, it is a pleasure to drive, since the road is dead straight for long distances, unlike in AP where ghat section and frequent curves are dime a dozen.

- With stock tyres, above 120kms, the road/tyre noise inside becomes pretty evident. Steering also become a tad tighter. But between 80-100km speed, it is practically zero noise and steering can be operated single handedly. Seems like FORD has tuned the entire setup of engine/chasis/suspension/insulation etc for 100Km constant drive.

- All said & done, the safest speed to maintain on Indian highways seems to be between 80-100, considering the qaulity of roads & people using the same. Within this range, it is basically effortless to drive a Fiesta.

- Maintaining speeds of 100 alongside curves was as effortless. Car maintained proper poise with no feeling of body roll, if driven in sync with the white divider line or the kerb path. Nowhere it felt as if the car is jumping or about to lose grip.

- Did not have an opportunity to test out the ABS neither wanted to take a risk of testing deliberately...will leave that for a future test with city limits.

- The speed increase is gradual and not abrupt..thus I did not feel a sudden rush of speed where one gets pushed backwards against the seat.

- While changing from 4th to 5th gear, at the same time maintaining the rpm levels at 3K (what is called as rev-matching), found the acceleration/pickup quite good which is not felt at other gear levels. This was particulary noticed by me, when overtaking a verna, city, another fiesta and a swift. At the point of overtaking, I will be at 4th gear and once almost at the verge of crossing or already crossed, shifting upwards while maintaing the rpm thru rev matching (releasing the clutch slowly while at the same time pressing the pedal), it simply zoomed ahead, thus not giving the others to play catchup. Post this experience, now it is a thrill and quite a feeling, when I manage to now NOT allow the rpm levels to drop significantly while upshifting. Don't know what effect it has on FE..will keep an eye on this practise.

Only one 1.9 Skoda Octavia was out of reach during the entire trip, inspite of trying hard. Difference between 1.6 & 1.9 does show up.

- On a stretch in WB, over a bridge section, there was this undulaltion, which when I hit the car at >100 speed, felt like the car was up in the air for a feet or so, and once it landed, it just carried on a straight line, as if nothing happened. Great balance.

- During eve/night driving, was easily able to maintain min 80, and sometime upto 120. Headlamps are all stock and factory fitted. Most of the night driving done with dipper on (I hope this is the correct term..the position where the blue headlamp icon is on). I found the visibility ok with the existing headlamp throw. Though every now & then, I did use the wiper to clean the glass.

Seating Comfort
Let me tell you this. I work from home, sitting on a Lazyboy recliner with a laptop on my lap, for hours at stretch, for the last 4 years. Previously to the recliner, I could not work on a table/chair setup for more than 1 hr. Had developed backpain/backache. So, I have this problem of backache. I always sleep at home on hard floor, upon a thin matress to reduce the effects of backache. Inspite of this, when I wake up in the mornings, slight pain is always there from neck to waist downwards throughout the day. This becomes aggravated when I have to sit on a chair and work.

Thus, the bottomline is this..if I can drive for 16 hrs/900 kms at a stretch, then anybody can. Period.

I tried various techniques during the journey to find out the best driving position/comfort. Put the FORD pillow between the seat and waist, another pillow between the headrest and neck, etc etc. However, I find the normal position, without any pillow support, the best. That way, I get the maximum thigh support. The seat is pushed back enough so that my left knee just about touches the area right of the ac knob. The seat height adjust is at the lowest.

Long drive does cause the arms to stiffen up a bit, but with feather touch steering in Fiesta, mostly on open stretches I used either hand in turns, without any discomfort. I completely forgot about the tilt steering adjustment (this I noticed, when yday gave the car for 1st service..upon delivery, realised that I cannot see the fuel/temp gauge fully..the service guys have brought it down to the lowest position whereas I had till now driven at the uppermost position). Today morning, I readjusted the seat height and the tilt steering, and to my surprise, now with the combination of this two, plus the right door arm rest, I find the right arm sterring position to be more comfortable. Add to that, with this new position, I find pressing the horn somewhat easier than earlier..maybe becos of the angle at which I am now pressing the horn.

So guys, you have driver seat vertical + horizontal adjustment & tilt steering - experiment to get the best comfortable position, you may be surprised at the outcome.

Gripes
- Wiper is useless during heavy rains and moderate speed driving. It feels like driving blind. At high speeds, all sorts of debris/insects etc just hits the boneet/windscreen and gets pasted there. The wiper was not able to clean properly, and most time, it just smudged the screen. Need to look for alternatives, like Bosch.

- On the ORVMs, light glare is very distracting & confusing. It should have something like the inside rear view mirror night adjustment. During night driving, it is difficult to ascertain, if the reflection of headlight in the ORVMS are from vehicle directly behind or on the side, since apart from the glare, nothing else is visible at all. This somehow, I did not experience in my Ikon...but that maybe due to the reflective sunfilm I had put on the windows which reduced the glare, whereas in my Fiesta, it is 50% visibility.

Conclusion
I am thrilled that I could do this, almost back2back. Get this..
- I have a back/neck pain problem,
- I had a swollen right ankle 2 days back before start, still feel the pain
when rubbed,
- Chennai-Kol weather at this time, could not be more different. At CHN it is more like 25+ and Kolkata it was 10+ with anything in between the states I crossed
- No previous long drive experience except BLR
- Solo drive with only music for entertainment..no other passenger alongside.
- I wear specs, with different power in left/right eyes
- Slept only 4 hrs beflore starting from chennai, and 5-6 hrs at other night halts.

Considering all these, no discomfort felt on arrival. In kol, first I landed up at Cafe Coffe day near my brother office to hold a preliminary meeting for 2 hrs before I reached home. Went to sleep only at usual night time (11pm). Back to Chennai, was awake for another 3 hrs clearing my emails till 2am before I went to sleep..on the floor, as usual. So there.

Condition of the Car post this trip
Not a single dent/scratch/rattle while on road. Post the 1st service (will give a detailed service report later), the car is as good as at the time of delivery.

But, wait..something has to give way, right. Well, in CCU, I do not have my own parking space. I parked the car in a building across the road, where just enough space was there to park the car but still allow a motorcycle to be taken out (appx 2-3 feet space left on one side). When I saw that I knew something will happen but kept my fingers crossed.
Well it happened, 1 day prior to my departure. The car was covered with the Ford supplied cover and was not taken out for 2 days. When early morning I removed the cover, I noticed a tear just behind the spoiler..almost had a heart attack, fearing the worst. Well, couple of deep scratch has been done on the left C pillar (will post the picture later) and a 2 small, hardly noticeable dents near the left rear wheel arches. Turned out that the previous day, some new guy has moved into the building and lot of furnitures were taken in..they had asked my father to remove the vehicle, but I was not at home. So this was not a deliberate mischief but accidental, while parked. Am trying to get over this now.

Except the above, everything in place as on day one.
Old 26th January 2010, 17:35   #1574
BHPian

Fiesta Endurance Test - Some Pictures

Attached some pictures.

MMI screenshot on iPhone. 1.8 kms to Rajamundhry. Last 199 kms covered @90kmph average, still to go 646 kms to Chennai. ETA 19:22 at this point. Actual Arrival Time to GNT, Chennai : 10pm.

On way to Guntur, a tractor laden with cotton, turned tutle. No, it was not becos of me

Got the best DTE of 609 till date.

CCU-CHN res-to-res tripmeter - 1778.6 kms. Total ODO:5304 kms in 38 days of ownership

For the scratch, thinking of pasting some sticker for the time being. Any ideas to cover up this one?
Attached Thumbnails
All Fiesta Owners - You are here-fiesta.jpg  

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-distance.jpg  

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-acc1.jpg  

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-acc2.jpg  

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-odo1.jpg  

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-mmi.jpg  

All Fiesta Owners - You are here-scratch.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 26th January 2010, 18:48   #1575
BHPian

Sanjayjc> Excellent post. Very interesting to read. Firsta sure sounds like a great car. I have seen it on the hhighways and loved it's understated elegance. may be off topic, but kindly sleep well before you drive. No point in playing with fire
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks