Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 01:26   #121
BHPian

The Manza looks fabulous! Especially the interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
We tend to look down upon ourselves a lot.
That's painful but true!
Old 16th October 2009, 07:35   #122
Senior - BHPian

Nice review and Kudos to Tata for bringing such VFM car.

GTO, we are expecting your trademark review within a day or two, please.

Last edited by Latheesh : 16th October 2009 at 07:35. Reason: typo
Old 16th October 2009, 07:49   #123
Senior - BHPian

The poise at 170 kmph is not surprising at all since this is a VGT, a la verna CRDi.

Sorry to digress here, but what has happened to the in-house 1.4 DiCOR engine rated for 90 HP?

And why cant they evolve from the old indica grill design?

Last edited by ramzsys : 16th October 2009 at 07:56.
Old 16th October 2009, 07:49   #124
BHPian

Kudos to TATA. I am very proud that an Indian Company is making right moves to become a major global player soon .I definitely see a 10-20 years down the road TATA Cars will be competing with Global players all around the world .They have all the resources now from top end Jag to cost effective NANO. Using this vast resource pool of different skilled engineers/designers they can do wonders .

The Car's interior absolutely stunning for the price range and exterior looks are totally personal .You can never find one car in this world which is a accepted looker by every one ..

The one thing they could have done better here is not associated with Indigo series since this Manza series could be a new line of offering which could boost the image of the brand in different segment .but again that's me .Yesterday I was talking to my uncle who is in the market for buying a new car (he is not a petrol head just a typical average customer)and seriously looking for a TATA branded car .I suggested him to have a look @ MANZA ...
Old 16th October 2009, 07:50   #125
Team-BHP Support

At this rate soon we'll see headlamps starting from windshield.

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-1.jpg

I have a feeling this car will do well. Good value car, must say.
Also, Logan will soon have tough competition for MERU cabs.
Old 16th October 2009, 08:23   #126
Senior - BHPian

GTO - thanks to the anonymous contributor - but we miss the 'GTO' review - please bring it soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Rudra - thats a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
I am actually disappointed with some folks who are deriding Tata here. We tend to look down upon ourselves a lot.
I have done the transformation myself. I used to look down on Tata as a car manufacturer - but they have grown leaps and bounds in their products and quality. Its time people accepted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Kudos to Tata for keeping the tradition of making a car for the common Indian man with a kick of luxury.Cheers!
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
Credit for these pictures goes to the Flickr user "notjustshravan", so I would like to thank him for taking such good pictures. Is he also a TeamBHPian
Brilliant pics. Thanks for sharing and kudos to the taker.
Old 16th October 2009, 08:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. The current international Civic Hatchback has head/tail lights fully covering the front/rear (my friend in UK used to call it Civic - DISCO). Dekko -
2007 Honda Civic Type S 3-door UK Version - Car News, Pictures and Specification on GotBroken.Com

What is spared is the length of car? Opportunity..heh

Coming back to topic, Tata surely has stirred the market with Manza, this surely is the best VFM - very acceptable looks, loads of cabin space, proven engine(s) ,boot space, gizmos.
Way to go Tata
Old 16th October 2009, 08:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

1) The car is not looking very good, specially the front end. The headlamps look like they were lifted from earlier generation Camry, i.e. 6th Gen Camry ( XV 30 ? ).

They could have given a better treatment to the front end. The headlights and grille are a mis-match. Compare this car ( Manza ) looks with Indigo XL front end, it looks better than Manza.

The headlights of Manza look similar to Camry ( sixth generation ).
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-toyota-camry-1.jpg

2) The dashboard specially the instrument panel and the hood ( upper part ) of instrument panel, the way it slides towards central console is very close in appearance to Fiat Linea. IMHO, this is more space efficient design that Linea and looks good too.

3) In order to give rear seat comfort, the boot space is compromised. This is not very good thing.

4) The origins of this car is clearly hatch, but it is able to mask it better than earlier Indigo. But the rear tail lamp design could be better. I expected the boot to be bigger.

5) Coming back to boot, IMHO, this car has that shortcut method non independent rear suspension. I dont know why but manufacturers have gone too much cost cutting crazy. There is not much intrusion from suspension so IMHO, this suspension setup is similar to Vista.
I would have liked independent suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Have a look at this Suzuki Cervo, the headlights are starting close from the windscreen.

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-suz_cervo_8.jpg
Old 16th October 2009, 08:44   #129
BHPian

Nice report. Kudos to TATA for getting it's pricing right(They always get it right).

Waiting for the detailed TD report from GTO.

Personally, did not like the looks of the car.
Old 16th October 2009, 09:27   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
You might have SEEN Indicas, but I have been using one personally since 2006 and running fine after clocking 127000kms. Always felt it built like a car, not as a pencil box that you mention. My friend's 2002 60000 kms Indica doesn't feel flimsy as well.

You can check out my report here on the Long-term review section and also fellow-TBHPian 'greenhorn's report where his Indica got hit by a Kerala State bus from behind. A Maruti would have just folded up (Swift, Dzire and lower models atleast, haven't tried the SX4 so cannot comment on that).

Please don't just go by 'seeing' things and 'jumping' into conclusions. And in case you think I am Tata fanboy, I still have my dad's 1991 M800 which feels much better than the current tin-cans that Maruti produces.

The cars that I have personally owned, used and driven for your information includes the M800, M1000, Gypsy King, Maruti Van, Tata Sierra, Safari, Sumo, Indica besides the Hindustan Contessa, Ambassador, Hyundai Santro, Ford Ikon and the Toyota Qualis. My views are based entirely on my ownership claims and not mere hearsay. Each of these cars did a minimum of 85000 kms with us.
Looks are really personal. For all you know, I would check if I can test drive Manza today (TATA motors is just 100m from my office). I would surely give you a feedback.

Last edited by MutantX : 16th October 2009 at 09:29.
Old 16th October 2009, 09:34   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Have a look at this Suzuki Cervo, the headlights are starting close from the windscreen.
Yes, I've seen this before. But Manza's bonnet is longer than Cervo. Now you know what I meant.
Old 16th October 2009, 09:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

This car is a definite Wow. One way, or the other.

Looks: yes thats a subjective thing, and for a country happy with the earlier Indigo, the various Santro avatars, the Logan, the Ritz, the DZire, etc, its a reasonably safe approach. I do believe it'll do just fine on this front for most people.

VFM: What can one say This is a chapter rewrite in India's automotive VFM history.

The Vista's been doing quite ok, from empirical evidence, so a lot of the mechanical package is not new-and-unproven, and some improvements would be included already.

If I were in the market for a change, this would be amongst the top contenders on sheer appeal to the brain.

Last edited by zenx : 16th October 2009 at 09:51.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:02   #133
BHPian

Seen in person

I dropped in at Tata dealership yesterday to check out the Manza in person. As I am not expert in any automobile area; I would say as a average consumer, I am impressed with the product for a given price.

attaching some pics of small significance, which I guess are not posted before:

Scuff plate (I hope I got the name right)
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-m1.jpg

Electronic controls
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-m2.jpg

Oval speakers provided in parcel tray! It used to be round in old Indigo and one had to cut the tray to put in ovals. Total 8 speakers in manza if you count tweeters in dash!

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-m3.jpg

Power outlet on rear parcel tray.
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-m4.jpg

Cladding inside boot door
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-m5.jpg

Edit: Here is Nano with alloys. Spotted at the same dealership.

Last edited by Bouncer : 16th October 2009 at 10:09.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) In order to give rear seat comfort, the boot space is compromised. This is not very good thing.
You're kidding right? It has 460 litres of boot-space, from the pics it looks like a cave than a boot & you say boot space is compromised ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Can one make or take call from Blue5 device? else only pairing mobile phones does not make much sense.
Just curious but why would pairing be available if you couldn't make or receive calls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
no suman, that's not the case - perhaps a popular rumor among non-TATA owners. engines may not be honda-smooth, but they're perfectly reliable and functional for longer years than the rest of the car would hold up.
Thanks for reiterating, that was exactly what I was driving at. I always thought the TATA engines were bullet-proof, the issues were elsewhere. They surely didn't need Fiat engines to give them that reliability
Old 16th October 2009, 10:18   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Just curious but why would pairing be available if you couldn't make or receive calls?
One can listen to songs stored in mobile

My point is if this provides call making features too, then what more one can expect from a car whose top end vehicle will come on road 7.5 +/-, and have every thing...almost

ahh Alloy wheels!!! those are missing...and parking sensors would have given a box office hit....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks