Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 18:42   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rite2shree View Post
Booking my car tomorrow. Guys help me, Satin Gold or Black.
If you can clean it 3 times a day then buy black. Looks magnificent
Btw why not red, looks great as well!
Old 27th October 2009, 18:54   #407
BHPian

Quote:

Black will certainly look richer but will be a pain to maintain. If you are prepared to spend additional time/money in maintaining the black then go for it.

Personally though i would have selected Satin Gold of these two.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:59   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If you can clean it 3 times a day then buy black. Looks magnificent
Btw why not red, looks great as well!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope you are joking. Would wash the car say, once in 3 days(two snaps from page 4, just for comparison).. My family is totally against RED.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-satin-gold-3.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21.jpg  

Old 27th October 2009, 19:44   #409
VbA

Worried about ride quality and gear shifts...

As always, Tatas have done it again but even after a long duration of market presence, last model of Indigo was not up to the mark with it's competitors when it comes to drivability and gear-shifts etc. Can anyone tell, if those areas are also taken care of in the all new Manza... thats I feel the only point to accept this machien as a winning horse
Old 27th October 2009, 19:58   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Folks,

One more strange thing I observed is the external temperature meter which was showing 35 Deg C, when it was a pleasant evening in Bangalore. Anybody else has observed the same ?

Maybe it's the SET-point on the temperature measuring(sensor), attached to a control system . So when you start(ON), the temperature reading will slowly come down.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:46   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
Dud, do you really think Tata Motors and Tata Steel are one company ? For the longest time, Tata Steel was not even into automotive steel and Telco had chosen to source from elsewhere.

Not sure, but either ways they put too much steel in their cars.

[quote=jaaz;1549172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED
A few pointers for TATA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED

3. If you are getting the cars designed in Italy, please ,make sure the end product does not look like an overnight design job. (vista and the manza and all the others).
4. wake up and listen to your customers.
__________________________________________________ ___________

There are Cars and that too Luxury Cars which are more uglier than Manza ( In Other Countries ). But in Today's world Practicality is given more importance than the Design. Everybody criticised BMW, a decade back, for their styling (Bungle - I guess). Today it has become benchmark.

I'm not a supporter of TATA Products, but you seem to be following your heart than Head!!

There are way ugly cars in other countries but it does not mean we shoud be happy with what we get, trust me im following my head and heart, the amount of money/effort/ time etc. that TATA spent on this project, the end result is crap. I know because I am an auto industry professional myself.
Practicality is important but the first selling point is always the design, thats what attaacts you to clothes, cars, houses and everything else. Design has a very big part in all of this, practicality is also a part of design.(where to put cup holders, where to place buttons etc. is all design.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker

well i guess looks are subjective and practically is looked before that , and it varies from person to person, even dzire looks ugly to many and cool and good to many, so what needs to look out is how practical the car is, space,features quality the car offers at what price.Even xylo was talked ugly and grew up eventually on many people.Moreover seems a win win situation for tata with manza.Improved quality with good diesel motor and loads of space.

XYLO is still hideous and so is Dzire, the only reason these cars sell in India is because people are happy driving pieces of metal as long as its got a lower price point. However i still give 4 out of 5 to the xylo interiors, exteriors get a big xylo size zero. I agree to the point that design is subjective to person to person but there has to be a decent bench mark (something the Indian companies have failed to set time and again.)

As far as space, features and quality are concerned, please compare a 5 lakh car in the Indian market and the one abroad. Same price point but major difference in Design, Practicality, Space, you name it.

In the end all I am saying is, there is so much to offer and people here are settling for less and make do efforts form the manufactures. Which is wrong and annoying to see our domestic market being filled with low grade and quality products.
Old 28th October 2009, 00:45   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
As far as space, features and quality are concerned, please compare a 5 lakh car in the Indian market and the one abroad. Same price point but major difference in Design, Practicality, Space, you name it.
Either you are totally clueless about cars abroad or you just have a thing against Indian car manufacturers (Tata in particular). The quality of plastics in all cars in that price range is just as good/bad as what Tata is giving you. So is every other thing you have mentioned. I can stick my neck out and say that the Manza is the best, let me reiterate, the BEST, deal for a sedan this side of six lakhs. Let me sum up my take on the Manza (it is not based on an actual test drive, but purely based on reports on the Car and Bike show on NDTV and teambhp)

a. Has more space (nitpick if you want to, but I consider 460 lites of boot space to be great) than any sedan till Rs.11 lakh.
b. Has all the mandatory features and more (including safety kit).
c. Has trustworthy powertrains.
d. Looks better than the current segment favourite (purely my opinion).

The list can go on..

I can't understand why you are trying to imply that the Manza lacks anything in terms of Practicality and space. If you don't like the design, thats fine, to each his own. For heavens sake, do take a look around before giving out blanket statements about "practicality" and "space".

Also, add a dose of objectivity before submitting the post.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:44   #413
BHPian

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope you are joking. Would wash the car say, once in 3 days(two snaps from page 4, just for comparison).. My family is totally against RED.
silver will always look decent irrespective of the trend. If you dont like it fine. It is also a bit friendly interms of masking the dust.

IMO, Satin Gold looks quite good from the pics. Just go for it. Black needs frequent wiping and cleaning and you will realise it sooner than you expect.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:35   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VbA View Post
As always, Tatas have done it again but even after a long duration of market presence, last model of Indigo was not up to the mark with it's competitors when it comes to drivability and gear-shifts etc. Can anyone tell, if those areas are also taken care of in the all new Manza... thats I feel the only point to accept this machien as a winning horse
Well, this is a good point, I don't know many people around who have test driven the car yet. I guess you can comment on the gearshift etc only once you have driven it on your own. However I'm made to understand by most of the proffessional reviewers that the gearshift stands vastly improved In fact it's supposed to be much, much better than the vista, which had been Tata's best till date!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 28th October 2009 at 11:18. Reason: removed the ...
Old 28th October 2009, 11:10   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
silver will always look decent irrespective of the trend. If you dont like it fine. It is also a bit friendly interms of masking the dust.

IMO, Satin Gold looks quite good from the pics. Just go for it. Black needs frequent wiping and cleaning and you will realise it sooner than you expect.

Looks like almost all are for SATIN GOLD. As I am goin for AURA(ABS)- no Chrome strips, would like to fit one.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:13   #416
BHPian

Quote:
You know, I am inclined to think that you really like black but are considering gold because of "scratches, maintenance is a pain in black". Believe me, i had the same dilemma and went for a silver, but in retrospect, i regret that!. If your heart says black, just go for it..not a day that goes by where i didnt wish i had bought the black....:(. (ok, i am exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea)

(Note:It was not the manza, but a different car that was in question)
Old 28th October 2009, 12:47   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasekeh View Post
You know, I am inclined to think that you really like black but are considering gold because of "scratches, maintenance is a pain in black". Believe me, i had the same dilemma and went for a silver, but in retrospect, i regret that!. If your heart says black, just go for it..not a day that goes by where i didnt wish i had bought the black....:(. (ok, i am exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea)

(Note:It was not the manza, but a different car that was in question)
HOME RUN Bro, I personally feel BLACK looks awesome( see above pics). But maintenance etc. scares me. My family is fine with Black(they say its my car and my choice) but prefer Satin gold over it.
I feel getting married is easier than this colour chioce
Old 28th October 2009, 15:36   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
<SNIP>
There are Cars and that too Luxury Cars which are more uglier than Manza ( In Other Countries ). But in Today's world Practicality is given more importance than the Design. Everybody criticised BMW, a decade back, for their styling (Bungle - I guess). Today it has become benchmark.

</SNIP>
The designer in question of those new-gen BMWs is Chris Bangle
Old 28th October 2009, 15:45   #419
BHPian

I have an Indica Turbo 2006.Never really had a problem with maintenance.Replacing the clutch at 45000 km but I really drive the car at its limits .No issues with cost either.(not more than a maruti or hyundai equivalent-sized car at the service intervals , sometimes lesser.I thought I must state this given the number of sometimes invalid statements about Tata's service.And yes, I had a look at the Safire90 (Petrol) Manza in the showroom.
Awesome space for the money.Yet to TD it though.Waiting for the TD cars to arrive at the showroom...
Old 28th October 2009, 16:34   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Folks,

Anybody had a TD of the petrol version of Manza ? I am seriously looking at Manza with Fiesta, Linea and Verna as competition.

With the 6.2 L Bangalore OTR price tag - Aura ABS, having almost all features of the top end variant Aura+ (without airbags, Electric ORVM control and few other fancy features), it is irrestible to go for it - Superb VFM product. The reason I am looking at the competition is for longer term reliability of Manza VS other cars. Though TATA has far more service centers compared to other cars as above, the A.S.S. is again a question mark.

Also the launch event showcased an alloy-wheeled Manza, whereas I dont see alloy-wheel option in any of the variants as posted in the TATA web site.

I personally inspected the Manza diesel Aura version for interior as well as exterior features. One will never complain of features (or rather lack of them) except some, like automatic climate control, a dead pedal etc.

One more strange thing I observed is the external temperature meter which was showing 35 Deg C, when it was a pleasant evening in Bangalore. Anybody else has observed the same ?
I TD Aura saphire last week.

Inside the cabin:
You start the car, very less noise inside the cabin. I heard Zee business correspondednt saying that Diesel car's cabin was noisy. But nothing like that in Petrol version. I would say it was as quite as NHC.

Space and other things have been spoken about a lot. I must say that the driver seat was having a very good lunbar support.

Gear shifts - it was somewhat notchy.

Clutch pedal - it was hard. It was like a two press. I told this to salesman. He said its deliberately done so that the habbit of Indian drivers resting their feet on clutch does not spoil clutch plates early.... He was a salesman!!!

Pick up - It was decent. I even went up the flyovers with a speed of zero at their start. It was decent. Did not find any sluggishness.

Breaking - It was decent. I stood on the breaks when car was at 140 lmph. it stopped in a reasonable distance without loosing any balance.

On the bumpy roads : This is one test on which I found it not up to the mark.
In Hyderabad, near DLF center, there is a patch of bumpy road created to simulate marsian drives. I have TD punto, fabia, i20 and fiesta on that track. Manza scores the least as compared to others.

Mileage - salesman says it is 14 kmpl in city... but this is just academic figure. No one has certified this so far. None of the websites.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed