Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 00:32   #361
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity to test drive the Manza(diesel version) and i was impressed with the build quality, ergonomics, space, ride and almost everything about the car, till i got out and looked at the exterior shape closely. Why on earth does it have to be so ugly?. Fail, is my verdict, despite all the effort. Sorry TATA Motors but you had the chance and you blew it big time.
Old 26th October 2009, 09:06   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Why on earth does it have to be so ugly?. Fail, is my verdict, despite all the effort. Sorry TATA Motors but you had the chance and you blew it big time.
Did Tata start exporting the car to the US? Not sure if New York is the place where Manza's are meant to be test driven.

O/T: I would really like to know what you think about the Dezire?

I am not a big fan of the Manza's styling, but I don't think it's that bad.
Old 26th October 2009, 09:34   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
A few pointers for TATA

1. Just because you have steel does not mean you have to put loads of it in your car

TORQUE
Dud, do you really think Tata Motors and Tata Steel are one company ? For the longest time, Tata Steel was not even into automotive steel and Telco had chosen to source from elsewhere.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:03   #364
BHPian

Yesterday i have booked Aura+(diesel) Dew white.Booking amt was 50k,according to the sales person it will arrive within 30 days.They have black aura on display not aura+.Not even has a TD car yet.I just booked only with the support and feedback from this forum.This is the first car i am booking without a TD.One more thing i have noted on manza was the key fob.its a big single key with lock,unlock buttons on the key itself.4 free services @ 1000,5000,10000,20000.Oil change @ 10k kms,service interval too 10k kms.2 years warranty.

Last edited by lijodavis : 26th October 2009 at 10:05.
Old 26th October 2009, 11:27   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Drive by wire technology is as modern as it gets, without any disadvantages other than the relatively higher cost. All modern cars come equipped with DBW tech. The most recent additions have been the Maruti A Star and the Ritz, and now Tata follows suit.

By the way, all CRDi engines irrespective of manufacturer, need drive by wire, as it is impsssible to control high pressure diesel fuel delivery with a manually operated valve.
They have it in the Safari and I guess most new gen diesel cars have by default now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Wow! What a great looker manza is, for the price it comes at? If I were in the market for a new sedan right now, I would have looked no further. All those cribbing about power to weight ratio, 100 extra kgs do not dent performance in a big way. Also, Pete's may soon come up with a chip for Manza to address that problem, too.
Its the same engine in the Linea and hence you can walk to the nearest Pete's dealer and buy the same box.

IMHO, unless the gear ratio isnt messed upbadly, Manza should outperform the Linea as its lighter by 100kgs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijodavis View Post
Yesterday i have booked Aura+(diesel) Dew white.Booking amt was 50k,according to the sales person it will arrive within 30 days.They have black aura on display not aura+.Not even has a TD car yet.I just booked only with the support and feedback from this forum.This is the first car i am booking without a TD.One more thing i have noted on manza was the key fob.its a big single key with lock,unlock buttons on the key itself.4 free services @ 1000,5000,10000,20000.Oil change @ 10k kms,service interval too 10k kms.2 years warranty.
Congrats .

The same engine in Punto gets 15k oil change; is it the same in the Linea?
Old 26th October 2009, 11:58   #366
BHPian

[quote=TORQUED;1548748]A few pointers for TATA

3. If you are getting the cars designed in Italy, please ,make sure the end product does not look like an overnight design job. (vista and the manza and all the others).
4. wake up and listen to your customers.
__________________________________________________ ___________

There are Cars and that too Luxury Cars which are more uglier than Manza ( In Other Countries ). But in Today's world Practicality is given more importance than the Design. Everybody criticised BMW, a decade back, for their styling (Bungle - I guess). Today it has become benchmark.

I'm not a supporter of TATA Products, but you seem to be following your heart than Head!!

Last edited by jaaz : 26th October 2009 at 12:01.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:04   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The same engine in Punto gets 15k oil change; is it the same in the Linea?
1st service at 3000
2nd Service at 15000 and every 15000 there after
Old 26th October 2009, 12:26   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I had the opportunity to test drive the Manza(diesel version) and i was impressed with the build quality, ergonomics, space, ride and almost everything about the car, till i got out and looked at the exterior shape closely. Why on earth does it have to be so ugly?. Fail, is my verdict, despite all the effort. Sorry TATA Motors but you had the chance and you blew it big time.
If the car is indeed as you describe, I think this is a win-win solution.

Satisfied owners can enjoy the "impressive build quality, ergonomics, space, ride and almost everything about the car" from the comfort of inside their car. While the haters can "look at the exterior shape closely" from outside and complain about how ugly it is.

So everybody happy and something to keep every constituency satisfied.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:35   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
A few pointers for TATA

3. If you are getting the cars designed in Italy, please ,make sure the end product does not look like an overnight design job. (vista and the manza and all the others).
4. wake up and listen to your customers.

TORQUE
well i guess looks are subjective and practically is looked before that , and it varies from person to person, even dzire looks ugly to many and cool and good to many, so what needs to look out is how practical the car is, space,features quality the car offers at what price.Even xylo was talked ugly and grew up eventually on many people.Moreover seems a win win situation for tata with manza.Improved quality with good diesel motor and loads of space.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:40   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
If the car is indeed as you describe, I think this is a win-win solution.

Satisfied owners can enjoy the "impressive build quality, ergonomics, space, ride and almost everything about the car" from the comfort of inside their car. While the haters can "look at the exterior shape closely" from outside and complain about how ugly it is.

So everybody happy and something to keep every constituency satisfied.
That was a good one. C'mmon guys lets atleast appreciate TATA for a product which we are comparing with counterparts very well.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:20   #371
BHPian

It's heartening to see an Indian manufacturer trying to give its peers a run for their money. Tata leaves nothing behind while bargaining on steel pricing, and I for one am glad they're attempting to pass on more value to the customer.

Can't wait to TD the Manza.

P.S: Doesn't Rs. 50 k as Booking amount sound a bit high. esp if they're asking for a 30-day waiting period!!

cheers
Old 26th October 2009, 15:04   #372
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
It's heartening to see an Indian manufacturer trying to give its peers a run for their money. Tata leaves nothing behind while bargaining on steel pricing, and I for one am glad they're attempting to pass on more value to the customer.

Can't wait to TD the Manza.

P.S: Doesn't Rs. 50 k as Booking amount sound a bit high. esp if they're asking for a 30-day waiting period!!

cheers
Yeah, charged 50k for me as well. They said maximum 3 weeks while booking; now they are saying it can take up to 2 months. Sales guy is not willing to give VIN even after 10 days after booking. Keeps saying he has no update on shipments yet & unwilling to provide VIN before it is checked by the quality team here since he suspects transit time / manufacture issues may not be covered if given.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 26th October 2009, 15:16   #373
BHPian

The Vista, when launched, was a leap ahead for TATA in terms of quality and fit and finish. However it was still not up there wit the competition. There has been no mention of the interior quality and fit and finish. Agreed there is a lot of kit and refinement but what if it is a repeat of the Vista story? Improvement....yes but is it adequate improvement? or does the Manza end up like the Indigo XL....a poor man's luxury car?
Old 26th October 2009, 20:38   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday i have booked Aura+(diesel) Dew white.
Congrats lijodavis,

Quote:
One more thing i have noted on manza was the key fob.its a big single key with lock,unlock buttons on the key itself
Glad to know that.

Are you opting for the extended warranty?
Old 26th October 2009, 21:34   #375
BHPian

Just now returned back from Concorde motors (Chennai) after enquiring about Tata Manza. Few things that popped up

EXTERIORS
+ The car resembles the NHC from side profile and is pretty good.
+ From behind it looks like the huge American cars from 80s.
- Personally i didn't like the front look. The grill is huge and doesn't add character to the sedan.
- The big TATA logo in the grill is another turndown. Yes, i know its a TATA car, but why put the logo so huge.
+ The headlamps looks great and is contemporary.
+ There is a nice lid which covers the tow hook.
+ The doors feel quite elevated from ground level and the handle comes somewhere between the elbow and shoulder of an average adult as opposed to the elbow level in other cars.
+ 15 inch tyres are massive and give a rough and tough feel for the car. However, gap between the tyre and body shows up in certain angles.

INTERIORS
+ The car is simply huge and very spacious. This is very typical of Tata cars, but this one's breathtaking. Even with the driver seat fully pushed back, the second row passengers have huge space to rest & embark.
- The dials look smaller. Maybe it's coz of the spacious car.
+ The centre console looks good and feels upmarket.
+ The audio system is decent enough and the controls feel soft to touch and give a good feedback.
- However the audio controls on the steering require some getting used to.
+ The glovebox is massive and well designed. Also has a light inside it.
- The seat fabric is nothing to write home about.
+ Cup holders in the rear armrest have rubber paddings and gaskets which hold cups tight.
+ The boot is definitely way bigger than any other sedan in this class.

MISC
There is no TD car yet. Will get by next week.
Close to 50 bookings done (without TD?). Many people who had booked indigo CS upgraded without TD.
Absolutely no discounts or accesories provided.
Waiting period = 30 days.

OTR prices
SAFIRE -> AQUA(527410), AURA(565076), AURA ABS(591721), AURA+ (645606)
QUADRAJET -> AQUA(627040), AURA(658461), AURA ABS(690927), AURA+ (740659)

My take on this car
This car is definitely a big VFM package. Don't expect uniqueness or style statement with this car. Expect to see many MANZAs on road soon. If you want more features and a perfect point A to point B car, go for it.
P.S: The sales guy had a tough time answering when i started comparing manza and linea.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks