Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 21:51   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthu View Post
Guys, am I the only one to see this set of headlamps being used by TATA on each and every hatchback, sedan, crossover (aka indicruz aka mpv) they will be churning out of their factory? just check the images I collected.
Are TATA's run out of ideas so fast? If they put the same design of headlamps on Indicruz then what? you guessed it fellows. will dwindle. Personally I dont want to see the same lights everywhere.
Also check the grill design. Everything looks so similar (lamps, grill's, bonnet length, Pillars, line along the bonet etc.)
Yes, and forget about Indigo-Manza-Marina if they are going with same design for Indicruz.
it's not about running out of ideas - it's about creating a distinct company identity. An example: every beemer you see has those kidney shaped grills - it's part of their image/brand.

tata seem to be heading the same way.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:54   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthu View Post
Guys, am I the only one to see this set of headlamps being used by TATA on each and every hatchback, sedan, crossover (aka indicruz aka mpv) they will be churning out of their factory? just check the images I collected.
I do not think it is a bad idea. Normally auto manufactures follow common design cues among their various models at any given time. Look at BMW, Headlight, tail light, Grill etc looks similar in both 3 and 5 series (entirely 2 different platforms). Same with MB too. So it may be a sign that TM is maturing as a car maker. By the way, the head lamps are not exactly the same in all the 3 models ( Not the same part) but derived from the same base design.
Old 20th October 2009, 23:07   #273
Senior - BHPian

When TATA maintains design similarity across its models it looks like they are doing it simply to reduce manufacturing cost (bulk manufacturing). When other brands, MB/BMW/AUDI retains the shape of head/tail lights and grill it looks like they are doing it because of their brand image.

I think TATA should have independent looking products just like Hyundai/Maruti. No part other than the grill should look same across models.

Same with the name. They should have launched Indica Vista as Tata Vista and Indigo Manza as Tata Manza. Name does make a difference!
Old 21st October 2009, 08:22   #274
BHPian

Hi Guys, To me it looks like TATA is trying to save on design and manufacturing costs by sharing the individual parts on several of its cars. Creating a BMW / Merc like brand image with parts seems a little far fetched at present.
If at all TATA wants to do that, then that particular part should be really stylish / elegant / futuristic and should not invite comments like boring/ uninspiring, etc.
May be TATA should get some lessons from Bajaj / TVS who have managed to produce some good looking products at decent price, undeterred by the japanese onslaught.
P.S. The Manza is a good car and I respect it for that, but it's not one I will be buying..not until it's design issues are sorted out.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:02   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Hi Guys, To me it looks like TATA is trying to save on design and manufacturing costs by sharing the individual parts on several of its cars.
I think there is nothing wrong in that. Indica & Indigo & Marina does share same parts. And that continues with the next platform/launch or whatever it is.

So, its ok. but only thing I am still not convinced / getting the point is - why the center console of vista is not in Manza
Old 21st October 2009, 10:09   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Hi Guys, To me it looks like TATA is trying to save on design and manufacturing costs by sharing the individual parts on several of its cars.
The whole idea of Manza and Vista is for them to share parts. Just like Swift/Dzire and Palio/Petra etc. Even Honda/Toyota re-use plenty of parts across models, the only thing is that since their volumes are very high they can afford to make some unique cosmetic changes per model.

Average buyer in that segment is looking for value for money and not a unique design and he wont want to pay extra for it.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:40   #277
BHPian

I agree that TATA may want to creat a brand out of same design. But isnt it that TATA already has only few cars (range) like hatchback (only indica-normal and indica-vista) in sedan (only indigo-normal and indigo-vista-manza). If they have spectrum of products then they can carry some designs across their few models. However, here they have only 2 basic design(s) which they are carrying amongst all their vehicals. for e.g. Normal indica and indigo carry same design, vista indica and manza carry same design. so ultimately only option is 2 designs from which one has to choose. I think this is not good idea. And on top of it if they carry same design for indicruz then from front viewer will get confused whether this is a small car, big car or very big car.
Here look at the steering wheel design for manza and indicruz. Again almost same stuff.
PS. Personally I like manza from look but will prefer new (basic) headlamp design and grill on indicruz.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-manzaindicruzsteering-wheel.jpg  

Old 21st October 2009, 10:42   #278
BHPian

I guess what pamiboy is trying to convey is that, the Manza should feel like its completely re designed and engineered from scratch and should not be a like derivative of a existing hatch. There is nothing wrong in sharing parts across different products but the skill is to use them with finesse.
Indian market was was tolerant to attaching boot to hatches in last generation, but with the competition from the newly emerging premium hatch segment the current generation of entry level hatches need to look and feel top notch.
Unfortunately the entry level sedan segment in India is yet to get a world class car. They are either hatches with attached boots or cars of previous generation from other countries. May be its our govts tax policies that are to blame, they make pricing of the sedans extremely difficult. So its inevitable that world wide entry level sedans like corolla and civic as branded as premium cars here.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:24   #279
BHPian

i feel It is not only for standardization and for brand building it also saves costs to Tata if they follow same design pattern across all their models.
if the headlight design is same accross all their models they order this in bulk which saves costs otherwise there is significant cost in new design and increased costs.

-MUKE
Old 21st October 2009, 11:39   #280
BHPian

On the indicruz, I think that the headlamps look alright even if it looks very much the same as the Vista's. Also dont you guys think that though they appear to be same, they may be having different dimensions. Maybe few internal components sharing will be there is all I feel.

They could have reduced the angle of decline of the bonnet for the Manza and could have slightly increased the front overhang by about 2 inches and that could have given the Manza more individuality.

Another thing i have observed is the interior pics posted by others (not the good ones in the 4th page or so) indicate that the interiors are of lighter shade. If that is the case I feel the quality feel will be reduced to an extent.

Dark would be better IMO.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:30   #281
BANNED

Boot integration excellent

What strikes most about Manza is side profile where one can see excellent integration of boot with the rest of the car. It does not look like add-on boot like in Dzire, NHC and previous Indigo. Manza has flowing line from front to rear and in fact side profile looks like a mini Corolla. This surely is most sedan one's money can buy.

But yes, I find Linea much more attractive. I find Linea better looking than many D segment cars.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:22   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
What strikes most about Manza is side profile where one can see excellent integration of boot with the rest of the car. It does not look like add-on boot like in Dzire, NHC and previous Indigo. Manza has flowing line from front to rear and in fact side profile looks like a mini Corolla. This surely is most sedan one's money can buy.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
But yes, I find Linea much more attractive. I find Linea better looking than many D segment cars.
+3 to that.

Just checked out Manza at Kulathunkal motors, Trivandrum with jkdas.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:37   #283
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indigo MANZA Photos, 7.3lac OTR Trivandrum

1) Didn't look long like I thought it would
2) Looks good heads on; lovely headlight config
3) Boot gels with overall profile
4) Rear width from back is waaaiiiddeeee
5) Space ! acres?
6) Thigh support is great! and tilt angle too is great,
7) Ladies will find it tough to lift the bonnet! No joke, heavy padding.
8) Same with boot lid,but okie.
9) They could have provided 16 inchers 185/60 looks like 175/40 or so
10) 165 ground clearance but looks way more.
11) Longer than XL ! and lighter than Linea by 100kg

Top end to cost 7.lac OTR Trivandrum.

Thanks to Kulanthungal Motors, Trivandrum.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009001.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009002.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009003.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009004.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009005.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009006.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009007.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009008.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009009.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009010.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009011.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009012.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009013.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009014.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009015.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009016.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009017.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009018.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-21102009019.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-dsc00293.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-dsc00292.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-dsc00291.jpg  

Old 21st October 2009, 15:42   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I saw a genuine 170 kmph (and am not talking odo here!) and it didn't feel strained at all. When was the last time you saw 170 on a Tata, folks?
I Suddenly remembered this.

Manza's VERY Distant cousin 'the dicor' did ~160 speedo. Of course, it is recomended for persons who hate the bitter taste of pesticides or the sound of a incoming train.

SUICIDE...!!
Old 21st October 2009, 15:46   #285
Team-BHP Support

I really admire the way Tata is making progress with regards to the fit and finish. The Manza is a lot more pleasing to the eyes over the integration of the boot on the old Indigo.

However, there is one detail which has me totally ticked off -- the bootlid design. Considering how much the rest of the car has smooth flowing lines, the bootlid appears as though it was drawn with a pencil and scale. It just looks so boxy that it resembles the Logan's bootlid. Tata were however much more smarter and added a large chrome strip as well as the licence plate on the bootlid to break the monotony.

If only the bootlid was better designed!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks