Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 23:51   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
For instance MV rules make it mandatory to have a black strip on the top of the headlamp glass. When have you ever seen a police guy enforcing that rule?
Even Prime minister's car will not have a black tape on headlamp... though it reminds me that when ever I give my car for servicing, Maruti guys do put a black tape on the upper portion of the headlamp, and its printed with their dealer's name, so thinking that its a marketing strategy I always remove it...
Old 20th October 2009, 00:03   #257
BHPian

Kudos to Tata Motors for bringing out such a splendid VFM package. Even the Base version comes with excellent features. the dashboard with the speedo in centre is a clean move. Lets not forget this is just the second generation of vehicles from Tata, there are lot of of surprises in future from this traditional truck maker. the Dzire now leaves a lot to be dzired.

WAY TO GO TATA.
Old 20th October 2009, 00:26   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...For instance MV rules make it mandatory to have a black strip on the top of the headlamp glass. When have you ever seen a police guy enforcing that rule?
IMHO, this is not needed in most (if not all) modern cars because the naked bulb is not exposed, but rather has a cover that ensures that the light is focused by the multi-reflecting element. Old cars that did not have the multi-reflecting elements but depended on the glass to do the reflection threw light around a lot more, potentially blinding oncoming traffic- which is not the case in the clear lens headlights.
Old 20th October 2009, 00:36   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
IMHO, this is not needed in most (if not all) modern cars because the naked bulb is not exposed, but rather has a cover that ensures that the light is focused by the multi-reflecting element. Old cars that did not have the multi-reflecting elements but depended on the glass to do the reflection threw light around a lot more, potentially blinding oncoming traffic- which is not the case in the clear lens headlights.
That is the technical part of it and you may be partially right (it also acted as a barrier to the headlight beam going high and blinding people, something like the headlamp leveller device of today). But then when do you see rules and laws following any real sense in this country? We have archaic laws like the Telegraph Act which was drafted in 1885.

The point is as long as they do not remove something from the law it continues to remain in force. That headlight top strip is one such rule that remains on paper even today. And once in a blue moon the police guys do wake up to this old rule and use it to extract moolah from people. I have once been caught in Maharashtra long by a police gypsy, parked by the side on the Thane-Belapur road, and fined for not having that mandatory strip. Every Tom, Dick and Harry was being caught that day. Similarly, on another occassion I saw Ahmedabad cops once catching hold of the vehicles without the mandatory yellow side strip on the right headlamp (there it is a bit different).

The point is it still stays in the rule books for a convenient invocation when needed but never really enforced.

P.S.: Ok, enough of OT guys. Lets get back to business.

Last edited by Zappo : 20th October 2009 at 00:40.
Old 20th October 2009, 01:03   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have once been caught in Maharashtra long by a police gypsy, parked by the side on the Thane-Belapur road, and fined for not having that mandatory strip. Every Tom, Dick and Harry was being caught that day. Similarly, on another occassion I saw Ahmedabad cops once catching hold of the vehicles without the mandatory yellow side strip on the right headlamp (there it is a bit different).
I bet those were either month-ends, or some festival/ holiday was nearing

Back to the topic- what do those who have seen the Manza in flesh think of the side profile? I was suggesting the Manza to a few who were looking to buy a new sedan, and they felt that it is still a boot-job a la the Dzire- does it seem so?

I think such boot-jobs should be launched simultaneously, atleast to offset the perception...
Old 20th October 2009, 11:03   #261
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_rider View Post
Driveablility : Okay .
Space : Great .
PeP : AS much as the Fire 1.4 Engine can deliver , felt comfy enough.
Braking : For a tata , great improvement .
Boot space : Amazing , i think 2 men can fit inside it .

Cant say nothing much , Audio system was nice , voice clarity was good .
Thanks. From what I hear, the Manza's braking ability is a revelation for a Tata product.

Nice picture pose too
Old 20th October 2009, 12:56   #262
BHPian

Yet again Tata is out with a good VFM car. Being a owner of Indigo (LS-2005) I never had any regrets. Yes the quality of interior was not up to mark, plastic were cheap. Niggles were there, but I wanted a sedan for 5lkhs and I had no where else to go. A good family car from Tata is the only word I can tell about Indigo.

The total numbers sold stands testimony for the same.

Now with Manza, they have yet another winner (Err.. not a looser definitely). A sedan at that price I can say is a good VFM as very one agreed. Eager to do a TD on it, want to check how much it had changed from my first car.

Meanwhile nice review and superb shots. The one in page 4 deserves Kudos and applause
Old 20th October 2009, 13:02   #263
BHPian

hi all,

any views of the Manza petrol?
I have a booking for Dezire petrol for early next month, but as per last update from the dealer, they do not have stock in my 2 preferred colours and have asked to wait for another month if i am particular abt the color (which I am).

So please advise, if it would be better to switch to Manza Petrol?
Old 20th October 2009, 13:19   #264
Senior - BHPian

GTO, when's your review coming up? A friend of mine is looking at Dezire Petrol Zxi, and i would like to read your review and compare it with our TD experience before choosing between this and Manza top end.
Old 20th October 2009, 13:30   #265
BHPian

Mandatory providing of a head lamp leveler came in force with BS3. Hence all cars which came post January '04 (or '05 I am slightly confused now) had to have this feature. However I am also in doubt if what is supposed to be motorized. Simply put what is the difference in the headlamps on Vista & Manza?
Old 20th October 2009, 14:10   #266
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday i had the opportunity of seeing manza in person at Tayal motors faridabad.

In points my observations-
Exterior -
1. There was a white vista standing next to maroonish manza and honestly the front is very simillar to vista.
2. Back looks a direct lift from Cadillac.
3. Side profile looks awkward to say the least.
4. 15' looks small for this car and many people would like to opt for 16' to fill in the gap regarding arches.
5. Overall look is much much better than a Dzire or Logan. The car looks quiet lengthy,tall and bulky!
6. Paint quality is much better but when you look at Linea standing 2 feet away then you feel it can be improved further.
7. The Orvm Paint was a big let down. It looks highly cheap and as a after thought and does not matches the body paint.

Interior -
1.- First thing you notice when you sit in the front seat is the typical Tata Space. Its in abundance and people graduating from a Santro,Alto etc will just love it.
I am 6.1 and to check the back seat space i pushed the front seat to the limit,when i sat in the back seat was pleasantly surprised to notice after a full knee extend still had 3-4 inches space left between the front seat and my knee!
Would like to point out after seeing Manza we went for a TD of Cruze and i felt Manza has more space than Cruze!
2.- Was disappointed to see steering as usual big and bulky. Though i liked the controls on the steering wheel the buttons are quiet small. Tata needs to do some work on this. The cruze steering was small in comparison however the buttons on the steering were well laid out.
3- Also speedometer etc should not be so small. Maybe they tried to give it a sporty feeling but its tough to see it properly at few angles.
4.- Am glad they did away with the center console thing like in Vista. This looks much better.
5.- The mix shade of grey and beige looks decent but the difference in plastic quality is evident when you sit in a linea which has better plastics than Manza. Improvement in Manza over earlier Indigo - yes however still lot of work can be done in this regard.
6.- Leather upholstery would had made so much of a diff here. But keeping the price tag in mind would had been tough for Tata to give that as well.

Overall an excellent effort indeed. I sat in Aura and not aura plus and imo if you do not require airbags Aura is a damn good proposition in this segment.
TD cars are not available till next week so remarks on engine performance,noise level etc will be tested then.
Many people feel Linea is threatened by the launch of Manza. I feel it wont be much of an impact cos Linea looks and feels a class apart.
Good Job Tata

Edit - Forgot to mention the boot is quiet big and as someone raised concerns for boot space in this thread kindly check it out. It is just a bit less then Linea!

Last edited by harry10 : 20th October 2009 at 14:29.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:22   #267
BHPian

Vista to Manza to Indicruz?

Guys, am I the only one to see this set of headlamps being used by TATA on each and every hatchback, sedan, crossover (aka indicruz aka mpv) they will be churning out of their factory? just check the images I collected.
Are TATA's run out of ideas so fast? If they put the same design of headlamps on Indicruz then what? you guessed it fellows. will dwindle. Personally I dont want to see the same lights everywhere.
Also check the grill design. Everything looks so similar (lamps, grill's, bonnet length, Pillars, line along the bonet etc.)
Yes, and forget about Indigo-Manza-Marina if they are going with same design for Indicruz.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-vistamanzaindicruz.jpg  

Tata Manza 1.3 diesel - First Drive Report. Edit: Pictures added on Page 4.-manzaindicruzfront.jpg  

Old 20th October 2009, 17:29   #268
BHPian

Got a chance to look at Manza yesterday. Honestly, I was not impressed with the car, when I looked at it I didn't think of feature to price proportion, instead I just looked at what it has to offer. The car is big, but looked like it's made of aluminium, the sheet metal appeared thin, the paint quality is pretty average, as harry10 pointed out, with a Linea standing next to it, Manza's paint job leaves you to think, "Why can't it be like that?". Space inside is good, but not massive as pointed out by some, the plastics are still a generation behind, fit and finish is again poor.

It looks a bit Baangra from behind, and with those punny looking tyres, the rear doesnt bring a smile on your face.

Manza or Dezire?, I would still go for Dezire for it's improved level of fit and finish and better plastics.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 20th October 2009 at 17:30.
Old 20th October 2009, 20:20   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I saw a genuine 170 kmph (and am not talking odo here!) and it didn't feel strained at all. When was the last time you saw 170 on a Tata, folks? The metres are pretty accurate too, with the needle hovering at 175 kmph or so. Pretty impressive.
Whoa ! 175 KMPH in a TATA. Now that is really impressive. Wonder what a Quadrajet Manza with a Pete's box would do ? just wishful thinking!

TATA have done a very commendable job on the new Indigo. From the photos the interiors look a notch above the regular TATA fare. The rear bench looks like a sofa !

I am a bit disappointed with the front end though. TATA have taken so much effort to make the Indigo into a proper sedan, could they not have made a few cosmetic changes to the front to differentiate it from the Indica Vista ? Like a new headlamp and grill design.

My questions to all who have actually seen the car. Does the front end gel with the longish boot ?

Have TATA elongated the hood to make it appear more sedan like ? I would have loved it if the folks down at TATA would have lengthened the hood if they have not done so already?

I know there are many photos posted on this thread but I think that seeing it in reality and in photos is a totally different experience.

FIAT better get the 1.6 MJD soon or they are history.

ohh and a belated Happy Diwali to all my fellow team-bhp'ians
Old 20th October 2009, 20:37   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
hi all,

any views of the Manza petrol?
I have a booking for Dezire petrol for early next month, but as per last update from the dealer, they do not have stock in my 2 preferred colours and have asked to wait for another month if i am particular abt the color (which I am).

So please advise, if it would be better to switch to Manza Petrol?
Abhinav,
Manza launch in other cities are spread over this week so the Test drive vehicles were not available in many places. Anyway this week we should be getting the complete review from Team BHP & all the Auto magazines for both Petrol & Diesel Manza.

I feel Manza would be the better deal than the Dezire and head turner in any place (As it is new car)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks