Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 22:28   #91
BHPian

A friend of mine just took the delivery of a silver Fortuner and I happened to take a test drive. Here are my impressions:
1. The looks are stunning. I feel it looks better than even the Landcruiser.
2. Maneuverability is fantastic considering the size.
3. The interior feels almost like an Innova. A bit disappointing since I find Innova too uninspiring.
4. The engine has a good all round refinement and power but lacks the required punch for a beast this size
5. The brakes are not too confidence inspiring.
6. Rear visibility is constricted. It might be a concern on jungle trails or mountains where one needs to sometime backup into narrow corners or edges. An Endeavor type mirror could've been useful.
7. Overall, a very impressive package.
Old 6th September 2009, 23:24   #92
Senior - BHPian

The dudes at Honda must be preparing a press statement stating that they gonna launch the CRV with the diesel engine and that their old statement that their diesel engine is sensitive to fuel we get in India was a joke.
Old 7th September 2009, 08:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:
system. Expect the Fortuner to contribute to your Diwali celebrations.

• I’m willing to bet that a spare tyre on the tail-gate is going to be a popular modification. I like the current looks, but a spare tyre mounted SUV-style will take it to another level.
Fantastic review as always !! Thanks GTO.

About the spare tyre mounting on tail gate. I think Toyota should have anticipated that (looking at Safari) and made a provision for relocating the registration number plate.

The registration number plate is bang in the middle (like the Innova).
Old 7th September 2009, 08:24   #94
Senior - BHPian

By far the best review so far. Just a coupla things. It looks good but not that good. Endy looks much better. My eyes and thus the beholder. And the Grey and Beige interiors are odd. Black and beige would have been better. The Captiva scores here. But the over all package is superb. And thanks GTO.
Old 7th September 2009, 08:34   #95
BHPian

GTO and team:

The quality of the review is simply terrific and improves with every new car test - driven. There is now no need to buy auto mags to review their test drives which was increasingly non-discriminatory anyway. Further where can you get such umpteen pics, videos and umpteen queries answered?

Congratulations and keep up the terrific work!

Cheers,
Old 7th September 2009, 09:52   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, no cutoff @ 160 kph at all.
Okay, may be people at toyota realized there are no proper roads yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Bang on Vikram. That is exactly what me and Rehaan encountered during the braking we did. I think braking is the major issue which Toyota needs to address at this time.
Dippy, did you try braking at rough / uneven surfaces? there should be some disturbing noise from the front discs. I have been told by dealer that it's due to ABS. I'm not sure whether it's the right answer.
Old 7th September 2009, 10:54   #97
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review there GTO ! I love the Fortuner for its working abilities and that you can take it off the road too. I think thats where the CRV and Captiva are knocked out. So the only comparison here is between Endy-Pajero-Fortuner. And then again, I think Toyota has them all beat at the price point.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:06   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Dippy, did you try braking at rough / uneven surfaces? there should be some disturbing noise from the front discs. I have been told by dealer that it's due to ABS. I'm not sure whether it's the right answer.
The expressway we drove on is not exactly silky smooth and does have an uneven surface but I really did not hear any noticible noise. Can you describe in some detail what kind of noise you hear? Rehaan was with me in the car. Waiting for his comments on this as well.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:30   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The direct compentition from the Pajero/Montero is the Prado and not the Fortuner.
True, its the 50 lakh Prado versus the 50 lakh Montero in India. Personally, I'd pick the Montero between the two. Both are over-priced, yet the Montero is a heck of an all rounder. I've been a fan since the early days.

Quote:
To the Pajero owner who did not feel the power difference between the Pajero 2.8 and Fortuner, I suggest checking out the difference in the 0 - 100 times of both vehicles. A difference of 5 seconds is not trivial.
True, I did speak to Byram and we thought its probably due to the Fortuner's linear power delivery. It is a substantially better performer than the Pajero 2.8 in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
At that cost, buying a "Montero" would be ridiculous simply because the difference in cost between them is enormous!
Recently went up. Used to be 40 lakhs OTR only 18 months back.

Quote:
I think Fortuner will push CR-V, Endy, Captiva and probably Accord, Superb, Camry etc to oblivion.
Though I do think there will be a considerably amount of migration, I don't think oblivion is an appropriate term:

- The Accord & Superb are substantially more comfortable.

- More refined

- More features (especially the Superb)

- Price aside, the CRV will prove more popular for the urban user. It's just like a sedan....comfort, interior fit & finish, light to drive. Can't really compare the utilitarian diesel Fortuner to the urban petrol CRV. The CRV's current price is outrageous. Unless there are corrections, Honda cannot expect to move too many in its showrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
the Grand Vitara with a deisel will surely be a popular vehicle. Given that it costs around 16L ex-showroom
Maruti has got to be watching the Fortuner's response closely and must have started with the preps for a diesel Vitara. They want the Vitara to sell, how else can you explain the efforts behind launching the 2.4 variant? You can expect a killer price from Maruti as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Further where can you get such umpteen pics, videos and umpteen queries answered?
Only on Team-BHP, Sir. Thanks!
Old 7th September 2009, 11:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes E Class test drive?

@ GTO, some very very valuable information you have provided in this test drive thread and in others too.

I am really looking forward to a test drive of the new Mercedes E class? Is it on cards?
Old 7th September 2009, 11:51   #101
BHPian

In comparison artn't we forgetting the X-Trail? I just received an SMS that says that Nissan is offering some discount on it. I have never driven so can't say much but I am guessing Nissan's offroader will match Toyota in capability and refinement.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:52   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The expressway we drove on is not exactly silky smooth and does have an uneven surface but I really did not hear any noticible noise. Can you describe in some detail what kind of noise you hear? Rehaan was with me in the car. Waiting for his comments on this as well.
It's like something hits on the discs and you can feel the vibration on the steering as well. Initially i was bit worried about the sound and even i thought it may damage the discs, then my colleagues also reported the same issue. While servicing they advised it's due to ABS and all the fortuners have the issue. Nowadays i'm not much concerned about this issue.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Finally IMHO, it's more of a WORK HORSE than LUXURY SUV.
Hi v1kram!

Fortuner's genes trace back to HILUX pick-up. So it has to be a work horse.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:37   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Hi v1kram!

Fortuner's genes trace back to HILUX pick-up. So it has to be a work horse.
Dhar, true fact. The actual comparison for Fortuner should be the Pajerosport (based on L200 pick-up) which is now available in UAE, seen couple of them already on the road.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:45   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
In comparison artn't we forgetting the X-Trail?
Valid point. Though Nissan has been largely absent (in terms of dealer presence & product marketing), the X Trail surely must be included in our comparos. Hows the price though? Has it also shot up to CRV levels?

Quote:
It's like something hits on the discs and you can feel the vibration on the steering as well.
Felt the regular ABS pulsating on the brake pedal when slammed hard on uneven tarmac. But didn't notice any sound.

Most Viewed