Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 07:08   #946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
A question to Team Bhp experts on Toyota Fortuner. Does the 4x4 AT / MT version come with factory fitted Steering Dampers / Stabilisers? If not, what are the after market options?

I had posted this query earlier in the Fortuner 4x4 AT thread which went unanswered, so have reposted here once again.

Thanks in advance
I don't believe the Fortuner comes with steering damper company fitted. If you're up sizing the tyres for off road use then you could look at ironman or similar brands for an aftermarket fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post

Also, the dealer confirmed that my rear shocks have become weak and that i will have to replace them in a while. I was thinking of installing Bilstein shocks all round.
These are some queries i have-
Will it hamper my comfort level badly?
How much improvement in the handling front can it deliver?

Please suggest
Ive heard decent reviews about the on road comfort with bilsteins. Should be a reasonable upgrade on both comfort and handling although I never felt the stock setup to be bad either.

Last edited by amolpol : 15th June 2015 at 07:13.
Old 15th June 2015, 19:42   #947
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
I don't believe the Fortuner comes with steering damper company fitted. If you're up sizing the tyres for off road use then you could look at ironman or similar brands for an aftermarket fitment.
Thanks Amolpol. I had a Gypsy earlier back in 90's and it came with a factory fitted steering damper. Considering Fortuner's off road potential, I am surprised that it has been omitted.

I recall that having the damper on the steering in my Gypsy allowed me to maintain a straight line while negotiating a rough patch on the highways at high speeds.

Last edited by ampere : 15th June 2015 at 21:45. Reason: Fixed Quote
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 20:25   #948
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Guys, I need your help in this.
I am thinking of repainting my Grey Fortuner with a different colour, preferably black or the new dark grey toyota colour.
I wish to do the same in some toyota service centre, Could you please tell me which dealer in your opinion does the best paint job in Mumbai

Also, the dealer confirmed that my rear shocks have become weak and that i will have to replace them in a while. I was thinking of installing Bilstein shocks all round.
These are some queries i have-
Will it hamper my comfort level badly?
How much improvement in the handling front can it deliver?

Please suggest
Let me suggest something.

From whatever I have seen, Toyota paint quality isn't the best. It gets scratched very easily, and the clear coat doesn't seem too tough.

The fact that you want to repaint it makes me believe you are going to hold on to this car.

Since your car is grey, I think you are choose any other grey from any manufacturer that you like without really bothering about changing the colour on the RC book.

I suggest you get it painted outside, in an independent garage with a paint booth and use a ceramic clear coat that is found on Euro cars. It will look awesome.

As for the Bilsteins, get them without a doubt. Low speed comfort will hardly be sacrificed and the overall stability and handling will be leagues ahead.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 21:25   #949
BHPian

My 4x2 Fortuner AT has completed the 3 year company lease and it's time to sell the vehicle and go for a new company lease vehicle.

Would like your thoughts on what would be an upgrade from the Fortuner ?
Old 10th August 2015, 09:01   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
My 4x2 Fortuner AT has completed the 3 year company lease and it's time to sell the vehicle and go for a new company lease vehicle.

Would like your thoughts on what would be an upgrade from the Fortuner ?
Hi,

A auto box like DSG (Read Audi) would be a good upgrade from a 4X2 automatic Fortuner. Hence Q5 would be my suggestion.

whats the price are you expecting for your 3 year old Fortuner. No I am not buying.
Old 17th September 2015, 20:10   #951
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT

Time just flies by and now its almost 2 years of owing 3.0L 4x4 MT.

I still cannot believe that i got ^ ^ a fill it, shut it, forget it ^ ^ vehicle.

A practical no-nonsense vehicle i should have gotten before, but then its never too late.

Special thanks to @jaysmokesleaves for relentless patience and pushing me to get the best, but nothing the best and testdrives + @anandpadhye for helping checking her out during initial days not forgetting you devdath . I owe you guys and teambhp reviews a big time.

Ownership thread will come soon though, before you ask me where it is. Till next time, drive safe

//Rahul

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 17th September 2015 at 20:30.
Rahulk76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 03:44   #952
BHPian

Has anyone here installed a Petes/Dieseltronic to their 3L 4x4 AT machine? I'm wondering about the benefits of the dieseltronic....
Old 7th November 2015, 14:18   #953
BHPian

What's driving the current blitz of Fortuner ads on newspaper and television ?

What's Toyota afraid of ?
Old 7th November 2015, 14:44   #954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
What's driving the current blitz of Fortuner ads on newspaper and television ?

What's Toyota afraid of ?
It might be the upcoming endeavor. Right now they are offering close to 1L off on the fortuner. I have never heard of them giving discounts otherwise.
Old 7th November 2015, 15:20   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Has anyone here installed a Petes/Dieseltronic to their 3L 4x4 AT machine? I'm wondering about the benefits of the dieseltronic....
Petes Box or Diesel Tronic will increase torque and power. Do you really need the increase in power in the already powerful fortuner.

PS: I'm asking this question especially as the Fortuner has weak brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just received this image in a non-Toyota press release and my lower jaw dropped. What a phenomenal capture....a workhorse that's tastefully modified, purposeful and looks like its totally comfortable in its natural habitat.

Attachment 1333511
Toyota can use this pic for their brochure. (With due permission of course)

The offroad bumpers and Snorkel should be made official accessories.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 7th November 2015 at 15:25.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 17:58   #956
BHPian

TOYOTA Fortuner : Unnecessary reving at certain RPM

I need some advise from engine gurus here.
I drive a 2012 TOYOTA Fortuner 4X4 MT which did 85000 so far.
Of late, I am observing that the engine unnecessarily revs up when crossing 1700-1800 RPM mark. There is no visible surge in the vehicle. Its all sound and no action scenario. I observed this multiple times and I can confirm that the accelerator input remained constant.

I am worried that if I ask the TOYOTA guys, they will simply take the easy way out and say 'Clutch worn'. Current clutch is 30000 km old. Talked to some Team-BHP folks and searched this site for possible reasons and the following is what I could gather:
1. There could be a leak in the Air filter assembly
2. The Turbo plumbing might have come loose, making the suction loss
3. Faulty A/c belt could be a candidate
4. At 85000, I am closer to replacing the timer belt [another 10-15K] and that could be another candidate.

The car doesn't show any turbo lag but is finding it difficult to get to higher speeds. Tested it on a straight, empty road and it is finding it difficult to go above 120KMPH. It used to get higher than that.

Can you please throw some light on what possibly could be the reason and what should I ask the TOYOTA ASS to check first?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th July 2016, 18:11   #957
bhp
BHPian

Re: TOYOTA Fortuner : Unnecessary reving at certain RPM

I suspect the Clutch going bust again. Get it checked.
Also, Fortuner clutch goes without a change for 100k kms plus for most of the owners.

The Timing belt is changed at 150k kms as per my knowledge.
bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 18:18   #958
Senior - BHPian

are you sure it is the revs, and not some other vibration?
For my indica, this is usually something else every time , such as wheel balancing, timing adjustment, engine mounts, worn ac clutch.... it's a long list
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 20:52   #959
Senior - BHPian

What does the tach say?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th July 2016, 09:57   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I suspect the Clutch going bust again.
The Timing belt is changed at 150k kms as per my knowledge.
There is no easy way to confirm the Clutch going bust. The service rep pressed the clutch pedal and said 'clutch needs change', last time. Not sure if that is the right way of checking Clutch health. Will get it checked. Will bad Clutch result in revving at a certain range only? I don't see any judders, slotting issues, pickup problems, sudden surges. None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
are you sure it is the revs, and not some other vibration?
There are no other vibrations. No other sounds. just the engine raises and cools down to normal revs. And yes, it finds it difficult to go beyond 120KMPH speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What does the tach say?
I see this phenomenon around 1700-1800 RPM. And then it is business as usual again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks